PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything that can be applied to dry hair for moisture?

millyaulait
April 6th, 2012, 07:18 AM
... Or is this kind of illogical since water = moisture? :p

Me ends are *very* dry, and I'd love to find something that I could apply to the ends daily, to give them an extra bit of help.

I'm wary of perhaps co-washing them (only ends, not entire hair) daily, and finishing with oil, because surely all that washing wouldn't do it any good?

When I was first starting out on LHC I had read a lot about oils, and I applied oil daily to my ends, on DRY hair (oops!).

I am pretty sure this is what has made my hair very dry. Silly me.

I'd love to repair them - Does anyone have any advice? Thank you! :flower:

Ashenputtel
April 6th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Applying something to your dry air after a wash can help you seal in moisture. You can apply mineral oil or a coney serum.

fridgee
April 6th, 2012, 07:56 AM
In between washes I put a handful of water into the ends of my hair then apply a few drops of mineral oil. Mine gets dry between washes and the rest of the hair doesn't need washing so I use that to top up the ends. I know it's cheating as it's not applying anything to dry hair, but its a way to avoid washing as often.

jacqueline101
April 6th, 2012, 08:04 AM
I'd say try oiling your ends extra.

lapushka
April 6th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Maybe spraying your ends with a mixture of water and a bit of glycerine, or water and conditioner might do the trick.

lunalocks
April 6th, 2012, 09:12 AM
1 to 2 drops of baby oil to my (dry) ends at bedtime before bunning has greatly improved my ends. I get great bun curls, too.

Bagginslover
April 6th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I dry oil, and my hair loves it, not sure why you think it'd make your hair dryer? Perhaps spritz with a little water before you oil if you prefer, or run damp fingers through your ends first?

christiner
April 6th, 2012, 09:21 AM
i put coconut oil on the lower half of my hair when it's wet.

i also used a product i got from target in the ethnic hair care section, i think it's just called organic olive oil or something basic like that. it looks like lotion, and felt nice on the hair. i applied it right when my hair was wet too.

Miss Maisie
April 6th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I use the tiniest bit of coconut oil. I tried mineral oil, but it sadly made my hair full of static. I'll have to try it again though.

luxepiggy
April 6th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I regularly damp-condition my ends between washes to keep them soft, shiny & tangle free. First, I lightly mist my ends with distilled water. Then I rub a tiny dab of my favourite rinse-off conditioner between my palms until they're very lightly coated (similar to the amount/technique for a very light oiling) and gently fingercomb through the last 6 inches of my length. Finally, I mist again with distilled water.

Sometimes if my hair feels unusually parched, I'll even wet-condition between washes. Standing at the sink, I dunk my ends into a cup of distilled water, squeeze out the excess, apply conditioner, and rinse out with more distilled water. A few blots with a microfiber towel, followed by a fingercomb, and I'm done (^(oo)^)v

Darkessa
April 6th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I use an Anti-Frizz serum, that helps me feel silkier.

Then for pure moisture, after I wash and let it dry, I use Coconut Oil.
I just started using this, and I LOVE it.
It feels cleaner than Olive Oil to me. I just adore it.

jeanniet
April 6th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I mist my ends with distilled water every night before I put it in a sleep cap. I think it helps quite a bit. Sometimes I mist it before I put it in a bun for the day.

styric
April 6th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Distilled water and triple moon oil on my ends, then bun it if it's day, or braid it for night

Sillage
April 6th, 2012, 05:14 PM
If you don't want to bother with misting (with water, rose water, distilled water, sprays etc etc) you could always use a leave in that has water already in it. I really like L'oreal EverStyle Smooth and Shine Creme.

Littlewing13
April 6th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Water is moisture. But oils coat the hair shaft & will seal in moisture. Wet or dry. There are also things that are humectants & increase water absorbing ability of your hair. A few include aloe vera, honey (although you will want to heat honey as it contains small amounts of peroxide that may lighten hair), and cucumber. Incorporate these into a treatment & it will help. oil after & your hair will be amazing.
The SMT is the perfect example of humectant heavy moisture treatment. warm honey, aloe & conditioner.

Long_hair_bear
April 6th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Nightbloomings panacea works wonders on dry hair. Other than that, I co wash with HE long term relationship, which my hair adores, and it immensely helps keeping my ends from being dry.