PDA

View Full Version : Rake and Shake Curl Method

littleizz
April 5th, 2012, 10:31 PM
In my recently extensive curly girl research, I stumbled upon something called the Rake and Shake (http://www.ouidad.com/curl_central/style-guide.asp#rake) method. At first I was skeptical, but I watched a YouTube video and it actually kind of made sense, and the girl whose blog I found it seemed to think it on was great. I'm going to give it a shot in the morning since it's wash day. Anybody here tried it?

ttverdy
April 5th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I do that, but I don't divide it into many little sections. :) I just do it kind of casually. I mainly use that method to fluff my hair back up after combing it when it's wet, or else t kinda sticks to my head, then curls in a weird pattern. :)

lapushka
April 6th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Seems like it's *the* method to use up a lot of styling product, gee, I wonder why. :p ;)

Copasetic
April 6th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I do this all the time. Its a nice method for clumping, but I find that I have separate my curls afterwards. Otherwise they are too clumpy when they dry, if that makes sense.

manderly
April 6th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Eh, I've tried this method, but I prefer soaking wet with lots of leave-in, scrunching upside down most of the moisture out, scrunching in gel and scrunching with my cotton cloth and letting air dry. Gives me the look I prefer.

The shaking out broke down my curls too far and gave me the "wet tiny curls" look that I really dislike a lot.

littleizz
April 7th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I do that, but I don't divide it into many little sections. :) I just do it kind of casually. I mainly use that method to fluff my hair back up after combing it when it's wet, or else t kinda sticks to my head, then curls in a weird pattern. :)Yes!! I hear ya about the weird sticking and curling. I've always done the fluff/shaking, just not with all the clipping and products this recommends. Figured I'd give it a shot! :)

Seems like it's *the* method to use up a lot of styling product, gee, I wonder why. :p ;)I thought that, too :p I actually ended up using hubby's gel and MUCH less than they used in their video

I do this all the time. Its a nice method for clumping, but I find that I have separate my curls afterwards. Otherwise they are too clumpy when they dry, if that makes sense.

Eh, I've tried this method, but I prefer soaking wet with lots of leave-in, scrunching upside down most of the moisture out, scrunching in gel and scrunching with my cotton cloth and letting air dry. Gives me the look I prefer.

The shaking out broke down my curls too far and gave me the "wet tiny curls" look that I really dislike a lot.Well. I tried it and I think I'm gonna stick with what I was doing before. I think I had the same as you, Manderly, in that it broke my curls down too much. Unfortunately I didn't use enough product to get the "wet tiny curls" look, so I just got the frizzy flyaway non-curls look :( Must not be the case for everyone, though, since Copasetic seemed to have the opposite problem! To each their own :)

DarkSky
April 7th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Sorry that it didn't work for you. We have similar curl pattern but probably different hair properties so im curious how this will work for me. I might report back.