PDA

View Full Version : Height and Hair Length

carolinaberry
April 5th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I'm sorry if this has been addressed before, but since hair grows at a certain rate, and has a terminal length...is it then true that shorter people are able to grow hair long faster and to reach a longer (in relation to body) terminal length? Are the people on here with super-long hair shorter people? I had a friend in high school who was about 6" shorter than me (I'm 5'5") and our hair strands were around the same length, but it was around APL on me and BSL-mid-back on her...

MaryRose
April 5th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I never thought shorter people would grow hair faster but reaching goals sooner seems to be true. I am 5 feet tall and waist length on me is 27 inches. I never grew my hair hair past BSL+ so I don't know what my terminal length is. My Great Grand Mother (my mom's mom's mom) had hair that layed on the floor when she sat down. She was about my height (5 feet) and she was Native American if that makes a difference for hair growth.

Sisgoldenhair65
April 5th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I'm only 5' tall so I think it will take me a shorter time to get to classic then taller people. I almost feel like I'm cheating but, hey I'm just "drawn that way". ;)

Amber_Maiden
April 5th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I doubt, highly doubt, that shorter people can grow their hair faster than taller people. They do, however, reach their hair goals faster than taler people due to their proportions.

Springgrl
April 5th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I don't think it has an effect on terminal length. I am jealous, however, that my hair would probably be classic length on someone shorter, but since I am 5'10" it is only tailbone! :)

turtlelover
April 5th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I am 5'10", and have a long neck, and even getting to shoulder took FOREVER! I think that it definitely takes longer to meet certain goal points if you are taller.

ladonna
April 5th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I have gone from shoulder to bra strap in 6 months because I am a little over 5ft tall and I have short torso. Shoulder to my waist is only 18 inches on me. My hair grows slightly faster than average.

alyanna
April 5th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I'm only at APL and I'm on the taller side at 5'7", with a long neck and torso. I noticed that my hair length looks BSL or longer on tiny people. When I look at where my waist is, I think "Wow! That's gonna be one long strand of hair".

If I ever make it to waist, I think it will actually be A LOT of hair.

Beckstar
April 5th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I am 5'1" and my hair is 36"+ it is waist when curly and past hips, close to tailbone when wet or pulled straight.

carolinaberry
April 5th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the input. It was just a sort of "I wonder..." type of question. And to clarify, I did mean reaching goals faster, not actual faster growth. I tend to be wordy and then say what I mean in a confusing way :/

Have any taller people on here reached classic length? I'm average height (5'5") but I have a longer than average torso.

lunalocks
April 12th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I would be interested in know how many tall people have reached classic. That, now, is my goal. I am almost 5'11'' and 33 inches is waist for me. I am just past that now. Mid back to waist took FOREVER. I may make tailbone (about 6 inches more) by next year.

torrilin
April 12th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I'm sorry if this has been addressed before, but since hair grows at a certain rate, and has a terminal length...is it then true that shorter people are able to grow hair long faster and to reach a longer (in relation to body) terminal length? Are the people on here with super-long hair shorter people? I had a friend in high school who was about 6" shorter than me (I'm 5'5") and our hair strands were around the same length, but it was around APL on me and BSL-mid-back on her...

That doesn't make a bit of sense.

While my partner is 6'2" and his sister is 5'6"... she's got a 32" inseam, just like he does. Her husband is 6'6", but he's got a 36" inseam. So sitting down, the guys look like the same size, and she looks much shorter. But then you add in head measures, and the husband has a 19" head, and the brother/sister pair are both around 24". I'm also 5'6", but I have a 29" inseam and another giant 24" head.

So my partner might take much longer to grow milestones on his head, and his sister would be about the same, and his brother in law would grow faster. Yet once they hit their torsos, the measures would be more similar. My head milestones are also about the same as the others with giant heads, but my torso is by far the longest proportionally... it actually works out as only a tiny bit smaller than the guys!

I still hit growth milestones faster than anyone else because my growth rate is faster. It averages 3/4-1" per month, and the rest of 'em are a more typical 1/2" per month.

So no, height doesn't have much of anything to do with how fast you hit milestones by itself. Your height doesn't dictate how you are proportioned, and your height doesn't dictate your growth rate.

Colourful
April 12th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I am 5'10", and have a long neck, and even getting to shoulder took FOREVER! I think that it definitely takes longer to meet certain goal points if you are taller.

I'm 5'8'' and also have a long neck so it also takes much more time to reach my goal(s).

TiffanieJean
April 12th, 2012, 12:35 PM
HUUUM. Never really thoust of this before lol.

I'm 5'6'' and my hair is almost hip length at 31''. (a little over 30.5 to be honest.. I'm rounding up lol)

PinkyCat
April 12th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I would be interested in know how many tall people have reached classic. That, now, is my goal. I am almost 5'11'' and 33 inches is waist for me. I am just past that now. Mid back to waist took FOREVER. I may make tailbone (about 6 inches more) by next year.

Thats funny because I'm only 5'3 and my waist is at 33" also! My hair is there now. That must mean my shortness is in my little hobbit legs...

luxepiggy
April 12th, 2012, 01:45 PM
While height does play a role, vertical body proportions are relevant as well. All other things being equal, shorter-waisted people will reach their milestones faster than longer-waisted ones, at least until tailbone or classic.

PolarCathy
April 12th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I am 6'. I guess my MBL is TB on someone else (someone more "normal"). LOL

lapushka
April 12th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Luxepiggy is right. I'm 5'7" and I reached waist at 27", so quite fast. I have a very short torso, so I am going to reach milestones much faster, well... at least up until classic length.

heidi w.
April 12th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I'm pretty short, 5'1", and have hair that's nearly the entire length of my body. I can't say I grew this faster than most, but I can say that I actually have somewhat short hair. It just looks impressive because it's nearly the length of my height, although it's somewhat long in the world of long hair. However, I'm usually the shortest head of hair at a long hair gathering. LOL

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 12th, 2012, 03:10 PM

Lady Godiva is beyond classic length, and she's quite tall. Then there's Lady Grace who once had, and is now in process of growing out again, over 8 feet of hair. (But she is shorter.) Leona is fairly tall and she has nearly ankle length hair the last time I saw her. There are a number of tall women I know that have reached beyond classic length hair. We all just sort of gave up watching our hair, and let it do what it's gonna do: grow.

heidi w.

palaeoqueen
April 12th, 2012, 03:34 PM

I'm 5'8'' and also have a long neck so it also takes much more time to reach my goal(s).

Another one here, 5'9" with a long neck, I'm currently just about scraping shoulder length and I often think how I'd easily be there already if I didn't have a giraffe neck ;)

racrane
April 12th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I am just as BSL and I am 5'6" with a longer torso. My friend is 5' and has a short torso. We started growing our hair from chin length around the same time. She is now past waist. Boo. :(

long&blonde
April 12th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I'm 5' 9", trying for classic. It feels like its taking forever now. I don't even know where on my body the hair would have to hit, before I'll sit on it when I sit down. If I keep going, maybe I'll find out. I've been ignoring the length, but last shampoo I did notice it hung wet a bit past bcl.

Beckstar
April 12th, 2012, 05:48 PM

While my partner is 6'2" and his sister is 5'6"... she's got a 32" inseam, just like he does. Her husband is 6'6", but he's got a 36" inseam. So sitting down, the guys look like the same size, and she looks much shorter. But then you add in head measures, and the husband has a 19" head, and the brother/sister pair are both around 24". I'm also 5'6", but I have a 29" inseam and another giant 24" head.

So my partner might take much longer to grow milestones on his head, and his sister would be about the same, and his brother in law would grow faster. Yet once they hit their torsos, the measures would be more similar. My head milestones are also about the same as the others with giant heads, but my torso is by far the longest proportionally... it actually works out as only a tiny bit smaller than the guys!

I still hit growth milestones faster than anyone else because my growth rate is faster. It averages 3/4-1" per month, and the rest of 'em are a more typical 1/2" per month.

So no, height doesn't have much of anything to do with how fast you hit milestones by itself. Your height doesn't dictate how you are proportioned, and your height doesn't dictate your growth rate.

I am all leg 28" inseam. I'm 5'1" and my husband is 5'8" and his inseam is 30" I have a very short torso.

lunalocks
April 12th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Thank you. ladies, for your info. I am optimistic!

NativeGirl
April 12th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I'm 5'7", waist length was at 30" on me. Hip is 33"(where I'm currently at)...and I'm three inches shy of TBL. I have a really weird body type. As tall as I am, I have really short legs, and I don't have a abnormally long torso. My hair actually grows faster than anyone else in my family - and they're all shorter than me.

jacqueline101
April 12th, 2012, 07:15 PM
They reach their goal faster due to being shorter.

trolleypup
April 12th, 2012, 07:25 PM
5' 11", just at knee now (~56").

sarahramen
April 12th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I am 5 feet tall, and waist is 30 inches on me, I feel like its mostly past waist where the bigger discrepancies happen between height differences.

carolinaberry
April 12th, 2012, 07:35 PM
While height does play a role, vertical body proportions are relevant as well. All other things being equal, shorter-waisted people will reach their milestones faster than longer-waisted ones, at least until tailbone or classic.

This makes very much sense! So, not height per se, but proportion. My torso is longer-than-average, so hitting my milestones will take longer than someone with a shorter-than-average torso-assuming growth rates were identical. Of course, if the goal is floor length-it still seems like one closer to the floor would reach that goal sooner.

carolinaberry
April 12th, 2012, 07:39 PM

But-assuming 2 people had identical growth rates and head measurements, the person with the shorter torso would reach torso goals faster and the shorter person overall would reach floor faster. So, the bro/sis pair, if identical in rate, would hit maybe shoulder at the same time. So, since their inseams are identical, that means his extra height is all in his torso...so, again if growth is identical, she would reach torso-oriented goals first. If shoulder-to-brastrap on on her was 18" and on him was 23"-she would hit first, right?

But, your post and luxepiggy's post have helped me wrap my mind around this puzzle...I now see it is a combination of proportion and growth rate, vs. height. Thanks!

julliams
April 12th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I doubt, highly doubt, that shorter people can grow their hair faster than taller people. They do, however, reach their hair goals faster than taller people due to their proportions.

This - it's an illusion. Plus everyone's proportions are totally different so BSL to waist can be 4 inches on some, and 2 inches on others. I'm "blessed" with a very long torso so all my goals are quite far between and take a long time to reach. It's the reason 6 year olds end up with hip length hair - their bodies are shorter so it takes less growth to reach that milestone.

Vintagecoilylocks
April 12th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Luxepiggy is right. I'm 5'7" and I reached waist at 27", so quite fast. I have a very short torso, so I am going to reach milestones much faster, well... at least up until classic length.

That is something interesting. Waist for me is 30.5 and I am only 5ft. 5.5.

thirstylocks
April 12th, 2012, 09:40 PM
It makes me happy to see tall women here. Its such a pain being the tallest of my friends and the tallest girl at parties. Its even more annoying that I'm an inch past my collarbone and I still have four inches until APL!!

carolinaberry
April 12th, 2012, 09:52 PM
This - it's an illusion. Plus everyone's proportions are totally different so BSL to waist can be 4 inches on some, and 2 inches on others. I'm "blessed" with a very long torso so all my goals are quite far between and take a long time to reach. It's the reason 6 year olds end up with hip length hair - their bodies are shorter so it takes less growth to reach that milestone.

It's good to "meet" someone besides my mom, kids and me who has a long torso. I always have trouble when I buy clothes-shirts b/c if it fits my width it's too short and if it fits my length, it's usually too boxy...and dresses if they have a clearly marked "waist"-because it usually falls on my ribcage!

torrilin
April 13th, 2012, 09:17 AM
But-assuming 2 people had identical growth rates and head measurements, the person with the shorter torso would reach torso goals faster and the shorter person overall would reach floor faster. So, the bro/sis pair, if identical in rate, would hit maybe shoulder at the same time. So, since their inseams are identical, that means his extra height is all in his torso...so, again if growth is identical, she would reach torso-oriented goals first. If shoulder-to-brastrap on on her was 18" and on him was 23"-she would hit first, right?

Shoulder to bra strap on her would be around 25" actually. On him I'd guess it's somewhere in the 30+ range. On me tho? Same height as her, and BSL is 27" by measure.

So she'd hit BSL before her brother, but long after me.

And I am consistently hitting milestones faster despite having that hair type that "everyone" says can't grow... fine and delicate.

And yes, both my partner and I have pretty much all our height in our torsos :). Even tho I'm smaller than he is, my proportions are actually more extreme. It's not really worth gaming stuff out tho... you get the hand you're dealt genetically, and you can't change your genes. If I eat terribly, my growth rate doesn't really slow down. My hair might get somewhat more fragile, but pretty much no one but me would notice the difference since it's already really fragile compared to coarser types. I tend to think about growing as much more a neverending process than as something I decide to start or stop.

After all, the moment I miss a monthly trim, my hair is racing off again. For folks who grow slower, that still holds... just they might need more patience.

Jessy22284
April 13th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I'm glad I'm short then! At 5'3, I guess it'll take me less inches to get to my goal! Sorry to all the taller girls - that just means you'll have much longer hair!

carolinaberry
April 14th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Shoulder to bra strap on her would be around 25" actually. On him I'd guess it's somewhere in the 30+ range. On me tho? Same height as her, and BSL is 27" by measure.

So she'd hit BSL before her brother, but long after me.

And I am consistently hitting milestones faster despite having that hair type that "everyone" says can't grow... fine and delicate.

And yes, both my partner and I have pretty much all our height in our torsos :). Even tho I'm smaller than he is, my proportions are actually more extreme. It's not really worth gaming stuff out tho... you get the hand you're dealt genetically, and you can't change your genes. If I eat terribly, my growth rate doesn't really slow down. My hair might get somewhat more fragile, but pretty much no one but me would notice the difference since it's already really fragile compared to coarser types. I tend to think about growing as much more a neverending process than as something I decide to start or stop.

After all, the moment I miss a monthly trim, my hair is racing off again. For folks who grow slower, that still holds... just they might need more patience.

Oh, I definitely believe it isn't something everyone needs to try to calculate. It was just one of those "I wonder..." questions. I guess from years of homeschooling and encouraging my kids to follow their curious questions as far as they can. I constantly overhear my kids in conversations with each other following their "What if..." questions. One of their favorite games is to assume 1 thing was different about reality and how that one change would make the world's entire reality different.

oktobergoud
April 14th, 2012, 03:40 AM

This! I'm about 5"9 with a long torso and chin length hair, so I don't even want to know how many years it's going to take me to reach BSL or something :P

Same thing with growing out my pixie, sometimes I thought 'well, I have a huuuge/long chin, so it probably takes me longer to get to chin length as other people', lol!I think that might be true though :P (Chin length was my goal back then ;))