PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have skin allergies?

joyfulchiara
April 5th, 2012, 09:23 AM
So, basically almost every single product that has any fragrance or dyes in it, I am allergic to.

You wouldn't think that by putting something in your hair, that your skin all over your body would be upset by this, but mine is. My dermatologist explained it to me that gravity pulls bits of the product down your body.

After years of going to dermatologists and taking prescriptions and not seeing many results I decided to take matters into my own hands. I quit going to my monthly drs appointments and I stopped using anything in my household that was scented. Even my husband and kids had to make changes and my skin got much better.

So, basically I got into a great routine and had minimal skin breakouts and no hives for the last 3 years or so.

Until last night. I'm so frustrated today because I haven't changed anything in my routine and last night I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop itching. This morning I'm covered in hives and have a massive breakout all over my neck under my jaw line. I soaked in an oatmeal bath and slathered my body in cortisone cream and the itchies have mostly gone. Now I'm left with this acne to deal with and need to figure out what caused the allergic reaction.

The only thing I can think of is that I spent a couple hours last night at my mom's house. She has scented everything and uses tons of fabric softener in her wash. Maybe just being in her house around those chemicals did it?

Sorry for the rant, but needed to vent! Does anyone else out there have reactions like this to products? :confused:

moxamoll
April 5th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Oh yeah! I use baking soda and lemon to clean most of my house, I use soap nuts for my laundry, unscented shampoo bars for my hair... I don't wear any perfume or EOs. My house smells like clean dog and that's it!

I have dermatographic urticaria, so my skin will take any excuse to itch and welt like crazy. The standard fix is antihistamines for the rest of your life, but I use a homeopathic remedy instead - it works better and doesn't have the side effects.

The worst part is that having "fixed" everything that's under my control, I find that my reaction to scents in public is getting worse. Sneezing, running eyes, coughing, nausea, headaches, even rashes from other people's perfume! My DBF has a personal air supply set-up for his work and I've started to think that I may need one to leave the house soon. :mad:

carolyncasl
April 5th, 2012, 09:35 AM
When I was really young, we found out I am allergic to dryer sheets. I'm fine with the liquid fabric softener, so that never really made sense to me. But I was so young, that I couldn't say "rash" and I kept calling it "radish". I remember kids in church making fun of me for the rash, so it stuck out in my mind.

When I was in high school, I had a recurring mystery rash that would appear all over my arms and legs. I tried eliminating scented products, changing my laundry detergent, getting allergy-tested, taking allergy medicine. A dermatologist took a nice huge chunk of skin from the back of my thigh to try and find out what was going on. They gave me a list of foods that I was "slightly" allergic to, but nothing that should have caused the hives. And they'd seemingly appear randomly and so I couldn't pinpoint it on one thing.

It lasted all throughout high school, and a bit into college, and then I discovered a cream that finally worked on it. It was a generic cream from CVS that was labeled "antibiotic cream". Whenever the rash would appear, I'd put the cream on and it'd go away pretty quick. Eventually, the rash stopped recurring. I lost my tube of cream, and I keep hoping CVS still sells it, because if that rash ever comes back, I'm going to need it.

joyfulchiara
April 5th, 2012, 09:38 AM
...going to google dermatographic urticaria.

joyfulchiara
April 5th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Wow Moxamall!! That looks pretty severe! I'm thankful that my condition isn't that drastic. But it's like you said. You can't control the environment around you when you have to leave the house. You still have to go to work and socialize with people and when they use strong fragrances or for me the worst is fabric softeners you are going to have skin reactions. It's just so frustrating! I need to order myself a bubble!!

Amber_Maiden
April 5th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Yep! Same here! I make my own cleaning products and am very careful about what I put on my skin. I wash my body with honey and a loofah, and sometimes very natural soap.

barely.there
April 5th, 2012, 10:24 AM
yup. I stay away from mainstream shampoos and conditioners because they give me acne on my scalp. I'm not sure exactly what i am allergic too, but I havnt had this problem with natural shampoos and conditioners. they also dry out my husbands scalp and increases his dandruff. so we try to go au natural for this sort of thing.

my dad is allergic to dryer sheets so growing up, we never used them. I still dont use them because now I know they are a pretty big waste of money. he also has a shower filter because his skin is that sensitive and he gets itchy rashes otherwise.

some people are allergic to synthetic fibers used in bedsheets and clothing. something to look into, but it seems more rare.

joyfulchiara
April 5th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I'm absolutely dreading a trip I have to take later this month and the only reason is because of staying in a hotel... Sleeping on hotel sheets and using the towels is gonna suck.

Would it be weird to bring my own bedding?

heidi w.
April 5th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I'm absolutely dreading a trip I have to take later this month and the only reason is because of staying in a hotel... Sleeping on hotel sheets and using the towels is gonna suck.

Would it be weird to bring my own bedding?

Most hotels and B&B's offer hypo-allergenic bedding and rooms. The thing is you have to call and alert them, and ask for these conditions as part of your room request. My Mom ran a B&B for years and even had hypoallergenic pillows for her clients.

I would bring my own towel, but not my own bedding. I might bring one sheet to sleep upon. I wouldn't use a top sheet. I might bring my own pillowcase if I can't get amenities for hypo-allergenic room setup. I'd call and request all this.

Hotel/motel rooms for me have too small of towels anyway.

I wish you good luck. My bet is this recent outbreak is because it sounds to me that you stayed overnight in the bedding your mother offers, and she isn't really aware of allergies and skin allergies, so far.

I am one who can become sensitive. I don't have allergies really to soap and laundry stuff, but I do watch it nevertheless because I sometimes become irritated. Hard water is even irritating to me, and I wash with certain skin safer gel soaps and stuff like that.

heidi w.

joyfulchiara
April 5th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the advice Heidi! I'm going to call the hotel now and ask. It's just a run of the mill hotel... I think a Holiday Inn so we'll see.

If not, I'll just pack an extra huge suitcase for my towels and sheets and pillow. I don't go anywhere without my tempur pedic pillow! :)

PrairieRose
April 5th, 2012, 11:52 AM
My skin has been itching. Whenever I sit or lay down it seems like certain areas, maybe pressure points, get incredibly itchy. I thought it was soap doing it, so I started washing water only and or with ACV. I did notice a big difference, but today I feel it again. Now I have now clue what it could be!

arcane
April 5th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I'm allergic to latex, and I can't use products that contain aloe in them because inside the aloe plant there is a natural form of latex. This is very frustrating when one is trying to use more natural products.

I've been to an allergist to figure out why I break out in hives and/or contact dermatitis but he couldn't figure out what is the exact cause. He did explain that some people just break out sometimes for no reason, that their immune response just seems to freak out. I'm thinking of going to another one because this guy left the room for almost an hour before checking on me during the prick test (and he was supposed to be back after 20 minutes) and I did have a few that reacted but had gone away before he came back. Though he was able to confirm a severe mold allergy (to the point that I hate spring because of the mold in the ground all thawing, makes it horrible to be outside and digging in the dirt).

joyfulchiara
April 5th, 2012, 12:01 PM
My skin has been itching. Whenever I sit or lay down it seems like certain areas, maybe pressure points, get incredibly itchy. I thought it was soap doing it, so I started washing water only and or with ACV. I did notice a big difference, but today I feel it again. Now I have now clue what it could be!

Maybe your laundry detergent is the culprit? My many dermatologists suggested All Free & Clear. That was a big help for me. Hope you figure it out soon!

kittensoupnrice
April 5th, 2012, 12:42 PM
joyfulchiara, I have skin problems, too. My sister has it worse with a general dermatitis, but I also have the dermatographic urticaria combined with subdermal edema. My allergist almost went into conniption fits when I strode into his office at the ripe old age of 26 having never been tested. Lol.

Anyway, I would suggest getting allergy tested. I find that not only do I have to be careful with products, but seasonal changes will cause flare ups. I know that the pollen counts are getting high, because if I kneel on anything that has pollen on it, I get red raised welts on my knees. I have to be careful about scratching because the pressure from my nails can drive allergens into my skin, which causes more welting and itchies.

The nice part of the story is, since I started getting immunotherapy shots, I've stopped getting urticaria just from rubbing against polleny or dusty things.

DH is allergic to EVERYTHING. A few years back, he walked into a dust cloud or smoke cloud of some sort, and had the bumpy pimply rash like what you described for over a week. I'm glad I wasn't walking with him, then!

joyfulchiara
April 5th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I'm allergic to latex, and I can't use products that contain aloe in them because inside the aloe plant there is a natural form of latex. This is very frustrating when one is trying to use more natural products.

I've been to an allergist to figure out why I break out in hives and/or contact dermatitis but he couldn't figure out what is the exact cause. He did explain that some people just break out sometimes for no reason, that their immune response just seems to freak out. I'm thinking of going to another one because this guy left the room for almost an hour before checking on me during the prick test (and he was supposed to be back after 20 minutes) and I did have a few that reacted but had gone away before he came back. Though he was able to confirm a severe mold allergy (to the point that I hate spring because of the mold in the ground all thawing, makes it horrible to be outside and digging in the dirt).

I'm sort of allergic to aloe, too! It's funny though because if a product has aloe in it, I'll usually have a reaction. If it's just straight aloe from a leaf I just picked I have no reaction at all.

joyfulchiara
April 5th, 2012, 02:12 PM
joyfulchiara, I have skin problems, too. My sister has it worse with a general dermatitis, but I also have the dermatographic urticaria combined with subdermal edema. My allergist almost went into conniption fits when I strode into his office at the ripe old age of 26 having never been tested. Lol.

Anyway, I would suggest getting allergy tested. I find that not only do I have to be careful with products, but seasonal changes will cause flare ups. I know that the pollen counts are getting high, because if I kneel on anything that has pollen on it, I get red raised welts on my knees. I have to be careful about scratching because the pressure from my nails can drive allergens into my skin, which causes more welting and itchies.

The nice part of the story is, since I started getting immunotherapy shots, I've stopped getting urticaria just from rubbing against polleny or dusty things.

DH is allergic to EVERYTHING. A few years back, he walked into a dust cloud or smoke cloud of some sort, and had the bumpy pimply rash like what you described for over a week. I'm glad I wasn't walking with him, then!

I probably should be tested. I've gone to 4 different dermatologists and none of them ran an allergy test. I asked for one multiple times. Sigh. I've just learned from trial and error mostly.

That pollen thing is interesting. I have been outside a lot gardening lately. And there are a lot of trees and bushes flowering here right now. That could be a contributing factor as well. I would never have thought of that.

moxamoll
April 5th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Getting tested is a good idea, although not much fun. I have a bunch of environmental allergies too, so my immune system gets more and less reactive depending on the time of year. Right now, the snow is melting so there's snow mold spores and soon things will start to bloom. *shudder* I love the outdoors, but it sure don't love me!

Anyway, when the outdoor allergens start to increase, then my skin reactivity goes up. Right now, I'll even get a welt if I run the shower water too hot. It's all a balancing act!

turtlelover
April 5th, 2012, 07:40 PM
It could be an allergy, but it is possible that you are suffering from autoimmune hives. I've been allergy tested, and am literally allergic to MYSELF and break out in hives sometimes. Have you been to an allergist/immunologist for bloodwork for immune system issues?

templeofvenus
April 6th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Hi

I am allergy prone too and the only things I use are baby shampoo the johnsons one I am ok with that and natural tea tree oil soap to wash with, simple face wash gel and any hair conditioner I use I am careful not to get near my scalp or rinse off in shower. I wash hair forwards over bath so no product runs down my back in the shower etc. I would ask for an allergy test if you are worried and also consider food allergy perhaps its something you are eating even :confused: or if you are on any medication maybe it could be that :confused:?? just a thought?? I really hope you get to the bottom of this I now how irritating and upsetting skin issues can be especially on your face area :(

Tealpuffin
April 6th, 2012, 02:01 PM
ask your GP if you can have allergy tests because you should be able to find out what you are actually allergic to. mine isn't so bad but i do break out in Eczema sometimes. especially on my arms and my scalp. my hairdresser recommended using baby shampoo and my mum uses non-bio washing powder/liquid which is a massive help and stops me looking as though i have severe dandruff :/ x

joyfulchiara
April 9th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! I have my yearly checkup in July. I will definitely request an allergy test again. I hate to say it, but I felt like the dermatologists just wanted keep me coming back.

Once I stopped following their advice and did research on my own I found lots of things that have helped. Hopefully my gp will listen to my concerns and try to help me out! :)

ravenreed
April 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I just went through allergy testing a couple of days ago. They don't really catch everything though. For instance, they didn't test for fragrances, but I know that I am allergic to them. I am also very, very allergic to soapnuts.

Vallena
April 9th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I know I'm allergic to the ingredients in chemical sunscreens, because my face burns like crazy and my eyes water all day if I put it on. Sticking to physical sunscreens works much better for me. This is also a more recent development, since I've not had a problem with them in the past. I am also very allergic to nickel, but that is a common allergy. I do get more severe reactions and develop them much sooner than most people, though.

barely.there
April 9th, 2012, 09:38 AM

People don't break out in hives for no reason. your doc sounds like a moron. Get your house tested for moulds and other allergens. Some of my friends and family have had health issues and found out they had moulds in the house. after they took care of the moulds, their immune system relaxed.

ravenreed
April 9th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I have broken out in hives from something I have ingested. It isn't necessarily just because of a skin allergy...

arcane
April 10th, 2012, 09:13 AM
People don't break out in hives for no reason. your doc sounds like a moron. Get your house tested for moulds and other allergens. Some of my friends and family have had health issues and found out they had moulds in the house. after they took care of the moulds, their immune system relaxed.

I've lived in about 5 houses since the inital test, none have mold in them. I believe I'm allergic to grass as I tend to break out in hives when I'm outside more than inside. One of my jobs is in an old building and all the dust have mold in it so when cleaning I often break out.

I agree that the allergist was a moron. I have other health problems going on now or I would request a new test, I'm just sick of visiting doctors.