PDA

View Full Version : What was your hair epiphany or turning point?

christiner
April 4th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I grew up envious of my mother's thick wavy hair. Growing up, she would talk about how thin/flat and stick straight MY hair was. i had all those terrible perms in the 80's and my ends were split and fried. She didn't really teach me how to embrace how my hair was different from hers or how to style it and care for it.

When i went for a routine trim just a few years ago (ha, i'm 30 now!) the stylist RAVED over how thick and "virgin" my hair was. I had never heard from anyone that I had thick hair, and the term "virgin hair" was new to me. At first i thought she was crazy, but after a lot of thought I realized she was right. Since then I've learned to embrace my hair's natural beauty. It's fine, but yes, I have a lot of it! I have learned to stop fighting with what I don't have and love what I do.

What's your story?

tiarefleur
April 13th, 2012, 06:48 PM
My turning point was not too long ago when I actually held my hair up in the sunlight and looked at the ends...I noticed a crazy amount of white dots and realized right away why I kept finding tiny little pieces of hair everywhere. My hair was past BSL but I bit the bullet and chopped it to ASL, swore off most of my bad habits, and I couldn't be happier!

meeliah
April 13th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Youtube was my hair epiphany. Someone on my facebook posted a vlog link to a hair care tutorial for long hair and it changed my hair world.

Rumpel
April 13th, 2012, 07:01 PM
My hair epiphany came at the same time I realized that I am not my older sister. She's always dyed, flat-ironed, permed, curled, and brushed wet without any visible damage. Her hair feels like silk. Mine, on the other hand, split and dried horribly thanks to all of those horrendous treatments. Once I realized that my hair wasn't like hers, and was much prettier when I let it do its own thing without heat, I found the LHC and began my journey to healthier hair.

barely.there
April 13th, 2012, 07:04 PM
When a coworker told me I looked like a boy and then laughed....in front of all my other female co workers. (she was/is foreign and I dont think it was malicious, she just didnt understand north american communication etiquette.)

Carissamarie08
April 13th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Watching the kardashians and their gorgeous hair...and also using my extensions.

Dream^_^Catcher
April 13th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I had long hair when i was younger and then got it cut pretty short (stupid me!) and only realized a couple of months ago how much i miss having long hair :)

Madora
April 13th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Judy Garland's beautiful chestnut braids in The Wizard of Oz...many, many years ago. I knew they were fake, but I loved how natural and lovely they were.

Hyacinth
April 13th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Mine was a pretty recent epiphany: I was sitting at the beach on a vacation, and it was like the "lightbulb" turned on inside my brain. I wanted long hair because I love how it looks and feels, I was going to grow it for myself, and I was not going to listen to other people tell me what to do with my own hair.

I guess it took me a long time to get to this point, and yet it is such a simple concept. :)

WaitingSoLong
April 13th, 2012, 08:41 PM
For me it was going into a salon and having the lady tell me how healthy my hair was for how long it was. Until then, honestly, I never thought of hair as being healthy or unhealthy...it just WAS.

millyaulait
April 14th, 2012, 03:59 AM
I remember going to a restaurant & seeing this beautiful woman with TBL, glossy black hair.

It was so shiny, silky, so lovely. It was almost ethereal. I looked at my own hair & suddenly felt very frumpy.

That was when I decided to grow my hair & take the utmost care of it. I hope I can have hair like her one day. :)

And of course coming to LHC was a massive turning point, too!

MeowScat
April 14th, 2012, 04:39 AM
I'm loving this thread! :) Great question...I'll never forget my turning point:

Right after Sonny Bono died, they kept playing clips of The Sonny and Cher Show on almost every channel here. There was this one clip where Cher was standing next to Sonny and all of her hair was behind her, loose. You couldn't see any of it, though, except for her scalp hair which was parted in the middle. I thought she had all her hair in a bun on the back of her head that nobody could see from that angle.

Well, Cher then turned her head real fast to react to something Sonny said, and this beautiful cascade of black Classic Length hair swung out next to her.

I gasped. That was IT for me.

LadyCelestina
April 14th, 2012, 04:52 AM
My turning point was discovering curly hair forums.I'm not sure what lead me into searching for haircare tips,(although it was probably because I wasn't pleased with the condition of my hair,duh)but I'm pretty sure reading these forums saved my hair.

Another turning point was when I made the decision to grow my hair below my waist on NYE 2011.I can't believe it was such a short time ago,seems like centuries!

(I have to quit this post as it makes me want to cut my hair to APL again -must not listen to myself! :lala:)

YewneekDoll
April 14th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Mine was when my guy and i were staying in a hotel on the oregon coast and we were in the room ...*ahem* and it was one of those perfect moments of mindset thats everything-everywhere-is-good-and-amazing-cant-get-any-better until i tilted my head back and the very ends of my hair brushed at just about hip length, my hair was actually BSL at the time, and a breeze off the ocean came thru the open window (closed curtains) and blew my hair so it swung around my waist. Later i thought it was such an odd thing to be able to make any single moment better. Then we were walking on the windy beach i had my hair loose i got a few tangles and when brush them out i started to pay attention to breaking and not just yanking the brush through. Then i started reading and learning and found my way here. Now, since then my hair has become a weird sort of comfort to me, i haven anxiety issues and having a set routine and having paid attention to cause and effect and knowing what it's gonna look like after a wash or oil and being let down from a braid or bun, really has given me a sort of security especially when i need to leave the house. I'm sure i've just been lucky so far with the consistency and it could still wig out (haha) on me but til then i'm happy. So that was my epiphany day. I don't know if i explained my thoughts so well, but gimme a break! it's my 5th post lol

Kwantslonghair
April 14th, 2012, 06:06 AM
When I was around five, we were at my aunts house. She was taking care of my great grandma who was pretty much on death bed. I remember she always had a circle of braids on her head. But on this day she was laying propped up on pillows and her long braids were laying down the front. I remember being in awe of that and I can still see the image. It was the last time I saw her. Then life happened and I had it long once and at least bsl length numerous times. When my time comes. I want to go with long hair. Sorry so long rambly.

terylenerose
April 14th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Three years ago, before I had decided to grow out my hair, I cut it to about chin length with shortish bangs. It was supposed to be shoulder length. Having my hair shorter than I wanted it made me realize that I wanted it really long, I guess. For whatever reason, the idea that I would keep the bangs and short cut never crossed my mind after I had cut my hair.
Also, a few months back when I was trying to stop obsessing over some stuff, I realized that I always had my hair in the back of my mind and bringing it to the front would be the perfect thing to make me feel better. It worked pretty well, for a while. At least my hair's in better shape. Now, though, I have a hard time not thinking about my hair, though that's lessening.

Pretty weak epiphanies, but it's all I've got for you. :)

dwell_in_safety
April 14th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Getting so sick of how frizzy and tangled my hair was, a mess every single day, and having to reconcile that with constant compliments from friends simply because it was long led me to have it chopped to shoulder and dyed. Wanting to grow out the dye and have long hair once again, but truly beautiful and healthy this time, led me here. :)

Long_hair_bear
April 14th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I just woke up one morning and decided I wanted to grow my hair. That means no more bleach, sadly, as I love purple hair, but oh well.

vindo
April 14th, 2012, 03:06 PM
It was a bunch of things for me:

1. I started medieval reenactment and at the fair I received lots of compliments for my shoulder blade length hair, and I was told I should grow it.

This was weird to me because all I had ever received was criticism....too fine, too thin...won't grow long. Then I felt shoulder blade length must be really pushing it, but I agreed to try and grow it. I said if it gets too thin or damaged I will cut it..

Well, it never showed any damaged and it grew fast and without thinning...:shrug:

I got to waist length+ and found LHC

2. I decided to grow to TB length, encouraged by LHC and the beautiful long manes.
I then also figured out my hair type and noticed my hair is neither fine nor thin...I was actually bordering ii/iii.
Thats why you should never listen to others when it comes to your hair :lala: <- cool smiley ^^

holothuroidea
April 14th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I found LHC when I was researching shampoo alternatives and lurked around the site for a while and realized how long I have been insecure about my hair and just chopping it off hoping it will look wavier, or thicker or whatever.

I have a similar situation with my mom, who has fine hair but very thick and wavy and always criticized my hair for being flat and thin and she never told me I couldn't have nice long hair but I pretty much inferred that from the flat and thin comments.

jacqueline101
April 14th, 2012, 03:22 PM
My hair turning point was the last perm I had and how tore up my hair was. It was badly damaged and fried. I had it cut off and grew it out healthy this time. I never envied anyone.

cobden 28
April 14th, 2012, 03:29 PM
In 2008 I was due to return to work after 18 months off sick with stroke-related problems. I'd not had my hair trimmed in all that time, it could be tucked into my waistband BUT I had almost a foot of the most horrible split ends which simply had to go!

I therefore had my hair cut off to the level of my armpits, which got rid of the split ends and the remainder of a fringe that I'd been growing out for three years.

Ever since then I told myself that I would grow my hair long again and some day be able to achieve my ambition of being able to sit on the ends:D.

ladylowtide
April 14th, 2012, 03:32 PM
My epiphany came when I saw some long hair tutorials, and wondered what it would be like to have long hair, and I realized that I have never had below BSL as an adult and most of the time my hair was at shoulder length. I was consumed by a curiosity to see what it would be like. Did some research, found LHC, and I was shocked by all the beautiful hair, and longer than I had ever seen. So I decided to grow grow grow!

Carrie Ingalls
April 14th, 2012, 03:47 PM
When I was a homeschooling convention and in passing a dad complimented my on my hair and how long it was and I said something to the effect of "there are quite a few other girls here with longer hair" and he said "no, I'm pretty sure yours is the longest." And we went our separate ways, but I have never forgotten that simple compliment.

Similarly when my cousin could no longer say "my hair used to be that long" and instead started to say "I used to have long hair too."

As far as hair care goes that would be when I read recommendations to toss the hair brush and instead use a wide tooth comb. One of the site I ran across someone mentioned that they heard or read somewhere years ago that Crystal Gayle said she combed her hair.

Honeyfall
April 14th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I wonder why so many fine-haired girls have had bad experiences with their mothers? My mum has thick, coarse, dark hair and she seems to take it personally that my hair resembles my father's in color and texture instead of hers. She's always bemoaning how flat and thin it looks.

My moment definitely came the day I found the LHC, and saw that plenty of women with hair like mine have been able to grow long, lovely hair to my goal length. I decided that even if my hair looks flat, I am going to feel it brush my waist once and for all.

Ironically, the day I put down the blowdryer (which I always used in an attempt to add some lift to my roots) my hair started to look a lot thicker and my shedding went way down... Go figure.

KittyBird
April 14th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I had a hair epiphany earlier this year when I decided I wanted to treat my hair better and not use chemical hair dyes anymore. 9 years of harsh chemicals was more than enough, and I was worried about the condition of my hair and allergic reactions. I discovered LHC and learned about henndigo and haircare, and my hair is looking and feeling better than ever before. I want it to be healthy, strong and freakishly long :p

beautifulending
April 14th, 2012, 04:11 PM
My turning point was when I got a bad haircut About 2 1/2 years ago and I looked like Adam Lambert....on a good day lol. It was then I wanted to have long hair and never to cut it shorter then Apl ever again. So now I am almost to waist length and super happy with my hair.:cheer:

my2cats1
April 14th, 2012, 06:38 PM
The book "Curly Girl" was a big wake up call for me - I finally came to accept that (gasp!) my hair is not straight. I learned to take care of my hair and stop fighting its natural state. After months of better care, I grew to appreciate all the things about my hair that I had once tried to change. I began to think of my "too big, too thick" hair as part of my heritage. Now I am proud of my hair, and I want more of it. And I am finding that more length makes the thickness more manageable. I just wish I had had this wake up call years ago. It's funny -- I get more compliments on it natural now than I did back when I would spend hours on it with a blowdryer.

sun-kissed
April 14th, 2012, 06:40 PM
My turning point was last year, shortly after I found this forum. I had been reading and posting for a few weeks, and inspired by all the beautiful heads of hair on here, I decided to take my first length picture. Before that I had always loved how long and beautiful my hair was, and had been very proud of it. It was my crowning glory. But behold, when I loaded the picture of the back of my head onto the computer and looked at it for the first time, I was shocked. My ends were horrid, and my barely BSL hair looked neglected, as if it had been ripped through randomly with a razor on the last six inches, and dull. Looking closer at my ends, I realized they were covered with splits and damage.

That day I came to the realization: my hair was neither long, nor healthy, nor beautiful. And I swore to change that.

julliams
April 14th, 2012, 06:47 PM
For me it was a picture of me when I was younger and my hair was at it's longest. I remember having just blown it out (yes I treated it badly then) and thought it looked nice so I asked my friend to take a picture of me. http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2367/4512135851_50a774795d_m.jpg

Well I found this photo and thought how nice my hair was at that length and then I started googling about long hair and came across the LHC. After that I was introduced "Curly Girl" where I discovered that my "frizzy", "unmanageable" hair was actually curly. I gave up the heat-styling every 3 days and went au naturale.

MissHair
April 14th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I've always had long hair for as long as I can remember. Waist lenght at 4 years old. Tailbone lenght at 8. My sister had classic/thigh lenght at 9. I once had to cut off all my hair at the age of 10 because of lice, chopped from tailbone to bob-lenght. I grew it back to waist/tailbone lenght at the age of 15-16 but after that it went downhill from using too much dye and experimenting not only with poor nutrition and dieting but also rough hair care and neglect.

I tried countless times these past 5 years to grow it back long but because it was so thin and tapered I went and cut it short over and over again. Now thanks to good nutrition and absolutely making sure I take all my vital supplements and vitamins I have retained a decent thickness that I can stand. So ever since last summer it was my ''last'' attempt of ever growing long hair again.

I guess my turning point was really going to a party and seeing this girl with tailbone lenght looking so pretty. I just wished so much that it was me. Im not giving up this time. I got all the right tools, oils, determination! Oh, and supplements!

SunlightShines
April 14th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Mine was after some health problems I had a lot of breakage & tons of shedding. I cut it off to get rid of all the damage, but as it grew out the cycle just kept repeating. I even tried to cover it up with highlights! Oh what a bad idea! Then one day I sat down & started researching ways to fix my hair and came across LHC. That's when I saw that there were others like me with thin hair that could grow out beautiful long healthy hair and I realised how much I missed feeling my hair down my back and how beautiful it made me feel. So I decided to go for it!

Dragon Faery
April 14th, 2012, 08:12 PM
The first was probably finding out that hair in real life could *be* super-long.

The second was when I was admiring my sister's lighter, straighter, silkier hair and she was bemoaning all the things that were wrong with it. I realized then that, no matter what someone's hair is like, there is someone else out there who wishes they had it. From that day on I began learning to embrace the hair I'd been given.

The third was discovering this forum. Now I see why I couldn't grow past BSL without tons of damage before. I'm excited to finally go new places on this journey!

Silverbrumby
April 14th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I had always assumed that for the most part I didn't inherit good hair genes. I'm still not sure but after reading the LHC forums and lurking for a while I decided that my life is too short not to attempt at least once, to really grow my hair as long as possible.

I'm a curious gal. I'm enjoying this frustrating exercise and learning how to take better care of my hair. I love hair. I admire good hair on others.

luckyshot
April 14th, 2012, 09:33 PM
As a kid I always had short hair. My Mom has always had short hair, and really had no idea how to manage my fine, easily tangled hair, so she just cut it short. I've grown to APL and then chopped it to chin length or shorter three times since I was 16, but that's the longest it's ever been, and I usually kept it around shoulder length. I had no idea how to care for long hair.

Last summer I decided to grow it out again, but as it was growing I continued to bleach it and use heat on it daily. It was so damaged, and so thin I was embarrassed to wear it in a ponytail. I started researching hair care and came upon this forum. I guess that was my turning point. The more I read, the more I realized that I needed to stop bleaching and straightening and embrace my natural hair. I now have six months worth of virgin growth, and I can't wait to have a full head of long virgin hair! My natural color suits me much better than the bleach blonde, and it's so much healthier. I wish I'd realized this years ago.

Nellon
April 14th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I always dyed and cut my hair myself. And I did it lots ;) But then, I guess when I met my boyfriend who has really long, blond curly hair, sitting braiding his hair just cos I love the feel of it one night, I realized I've never ever had long hair! All my life I often wanted it, but ended up chopping it off because of damage, or feeling it was just too thin for me to look good in long hair. Well, suprise, when I stopped using so much "normal" shampoo, and learned how to comb and dry my hair, it looked just a tiny bit less flat! (I guess I also stopped eating so badly, got more protein down, took vitamins, etc) and now I found henna, so I won't have to use disgusting dangerous commercial hairdyes ever again! Yey! It's still not superthick, or even anything, but I like it now, for the first time ever. It's chin length and I will try to grow it a little longer... A lot longer? So it really all started with envy of my bf's hair Lol.

cwarren
April 15th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Seeing videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lm612rppbk&list=UUN28EV2KEkBr_7xLjA78_JA&index=32&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eosU_ClypHw&list=UUtNJmOCbtm67FvUFUxzveZg&index=42&feature=plcp

I've always wanted long hair and loves how it looks on other women, but I would always get frustrated with my hair and straighten it just to be able to manage it and deal with it. I still straighten it every now and then, just not every two weeks like I use to. Seeing more ladies managing hair like mine gave me a little more inspiration and let me know that I can handle my hair without running to a flat iron :)

Nocturnal
April 15th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Discovery of conditioner! And how much you actually need on long curly hair!
(Like one drop won't cut it, even theoretically lol)

sfgirl
April 15th, 2012, 02:03 AM
I had some Christmas money and was going to buy a new fancy straightener, and then realized how fried my hair was, and damaged. So I got a haircut, and the first things I invested in was a BBB and some coconut oil.

Mandyjane
April 15th, 2012, 02:37 AM
I had long hair all my life with the occasional radical chop in between. My hair grows very fast but I never really understood anything about true hair care and I never styled it or went to the hairdresser much. In my early thirties I started getting my hair cut shorter and shorter.. I had a lot of fun with the short hairstyles but now have it all completely out of my system. I think my epiphany came through you tube and also a knowing that I would have very long hair by the time I am 40 ( 4 years to go : )) through you tube I discovered no heat tutorials and then I discovered the LHC and henna/henndigo. I am now completely unashamedly addicted to anything to do with long hair! My hair has grown 4 cm in the past 6 weeks. I'm driving myself mad with the measuring and guessing 'how long it will be by July,Xmas' ... So it must be time to invest in some hair sticks and practice updos to keep my mind off the growing for a while. :p

coldclarity
April 15th, 2012, 05:05 AM
It kind of happened gradually for me. About seven years ago I discovered the curly hair community on livejournal, got my hair cut from around waist to about bsl, and started doing conditioner only. Over the next few years it got shorter and shorter til it was about jaw length. About four years ago I decided to grow the dye out of my hair because I'm lazy and it was costing a lot to maintain. I was still blowdrying and straightening my hair a lot at this point. Then in January this year my hair was getting to about apl and I decided to grow it longer, but I was noticing a lot of broken hairs around my parting, obviously damage from blow drying.I googled deep conditioning treatments and ended up here. The end of January was the last time I blow dried my hair until this week. For the first time in my life I'm enjoying my hair rather than being in a constant battle with it.

Theobroma
April 15th, 2012, 07:58 AM
1. Cutting to a pixie at age 13 and realising that short hair just isn't "me".

2. Taking stock two-and-a-bit years ago, after a chop of four or five inches (ended up somewhere above BSL) to get rid of thin ends, and realising that if I kept wearing it down, it'd never grow long without growing straggly at the same time.

3. Doing an airdrying experiment under the influence of LHC and realising my hair is curly. That explained so much! :)

ShelleyJane
April 15th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I spent 17 years of my life pulling out my hair due to OCD... and I had given up ever being free of it, and thought I would always jsut have to have short hair...

So my hair epiphany came about a month ago when a hypnotherapist told me he could stop it. I was like, :rolleyes: "Whatever..." but because of that, he viewed it as a challenge, and said he would do it for free, just a one hour session, and if it didn't work, he would keep bringing me back til he worked it out...

Well, he did work it out, BUT I didn't have my actual hair epiphany until March 27th 2012 :D I was in my mid-term exams, and I realized that even though I was super deep in thought (the "daydream" zone was always when I would start yanking unconsciously), I WASN'T pulling out my hair :happydance: I realized I would REALLY be able to grow it at last. I was so emotional that I came out the exam and burst into tears and everyone thought I failed (but I didn't, I got 99%) ;)

Honeyfall
April 15th, 2012, 01:39 PM
A lot of these stories are very inspiring! It's so great to have other people who are experiencing the challenges and triumphs of this at the same time, it keeps a person motivated.

Thanks everyone who has shared so far, this is such a fun thread! :D

papera
April 15th, 2012, 01:54 PM
my turning point was at the age of 15/16, when I cut a pixie shudder:
nothing against pixies, they look great on some, but I looked like a small boy (I didn't dress very girly back then..) and even my best friends didn't recognize me in the street!! :shudder:
I then vowed to never, ever cut my hair that short again!

But it took me another 3 years to actually let my hair grow past APL, also because I used a lot of chemical dye then. I stopped using it and the last "short" hair cut (approx chin-length) was at the age of 20 to get rid of all the remaining dye ... and since then I've been growing it all natural :D

hyettf16
April 15th, 2012, 03:21 PM
In 10th grade, wondering why my hair hasn't grown in 3 years... damage

Sakuracha
April 15th, 2012, 03:32 PM
A couple of summers ago my hair was horribly dry, frizzy, and the last six inches were nothing but Velcro split ends. I cut off the split ends and started doing research for taking care of long healthy hair and eventually found this forum and completely changed my hair care routine. Around the same time I was thinking of re-growing my hair back to classical length because I missed it being that long.

CrystalStar
April 15th, 2012, 04:19 PM
After years of attempting to grow my hair with a small amount of success, my boyfriend turns to me and says 'It won't grow if you constantly trim it'. Stopped all the small little trims every 2 weeks, and lo and behold it has grown!

Mrsbaybeegurl
April 15th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Mine was when I was introduced to henna. At first I only did it because I wanted a red that wouldn't wash out, after bleaching and perming and doing all kinds of crazy stuff to my hair it was in terrible terrible condition and it gave me a break from all that damage. Two years later all my processed hair is gone and cut off and I have natural hair (colored with henna of course) and thought I haven't had natural hair since I was about 10...and my dream of having long hair and growing it out was RE-born :)

Valfreyja
April 15th, 2012, 04:45 PM
When I realised just how much damaged I had caused over the years from bleach and dye. I realised this because the bleaching finally caused my hair to fall to pieces. It literally broke apart in my hands.

Then I shaved it all off and as it grew back it felt soooooo nice to the touch. Hadn't felt like that for years!

CheekAllison
April 18th, 2012, 08:53 PM
After ten or eleven years of my mother forcing me to cut my hair to where it barely came to my earlobes, I got the freedom of choice and started growing it out.

My hair now comes to the top of the waistband of my jeans. :)

spookyghost
April 19th, 2012, 08:14 AM
You tube for me too! I have always wanted healthy waist length hair so I went on you tube and looked up how to grow hair fast and get it healthy. I have been obscessed ever since!:D I have always been backwards when it comes to my hair. I have never braided hair in my life and I have never been able to do cute updo's like alot people so I just never thought too much about it. I didnt realize that there is so much I can be doing to get me that long healthy hair:) Now, I just cant get enough info on it!

longNred
April 19th, 2012, 08:38 AM
mine came when I realized I didn't have the time, patience, or skill to FORCE my hair to do certain things. really, spend an hour or more "doing" my hair? umm, no. I have more important things to do with my time. However, I did still want it to look nice, so I stopped heat styling, started damp bunning to get big bouncy waves. noticed my hair played nicer when a little dirty, so stopped shampooing it to death. then got a better conditioner. used henna when a few grays popped up. just one small step after the other, and now, well, may as well keep going.

TheMechaGinger
April 19th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Definitely youtube for me. I was always interested in taking good care of my hair but never really in growing it out that long until I stumbled across a few channels that made me realize I want to be a long hair princess!

rock007junkie
April 19th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I think it happened right afetr my big post-partum shed. During preganancy my hair grew so much and it was so healthy that I said "hey, let me keep it growing". After the shed I just decided to care for it more. I cut out all heat and chemicals.

KrystalPixie
April 23rd, 2012, 01:31 PM
After damaging my hair to the point of the current pixie look I now vow to leave it alone and let it grow :)

BlazingHeart
April 23rd, 2012, 02:00 PM
The two big ones I can remember were being given my first non-nylon bristle brush and the bad hair cut I had when I was 13.

My grandmother gave me a steel-pin cushion brush, and suddenly I had something that could detangle my thick hair all the way through without pain (and without breaking - 2 of the nylon bristle brushes had been broken in my hair by this point). Though that type of brush isn't good for all people, with my low-tangling, medium-coarse, tough hair, it works great for me. My current brush is a straight-pin wooden pin brush (as opposed to the ball-tipped kind). Love it.

When I was 13, the 'Rachel' was the 'do of the moment, and I wanted it. My stylist warned me, it won't look like that with hair as thick as yours. What do you know, she was right. I realized I needed to listen to her then; it took a couple of other bad cuts with other people before I realized that she was the only person I've found who can cut my hair WELL every time. Even though I now live on the opposite side of the country, I wait until I visit my parents and have her cut it. Why mess with what works?

~Blaze

SheaLynne
April 23rd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Mine was when I finally saw my hair longer without a perm. My mom started me on a cycle of perm and grow out until enough length there to perm again, so cut old ends off and new perm...Any time I had seen my own real hair, it was all layered and did just enough flipping the wrong direction that I always had to heat style, then I gave up and permed.

I found LHC in 2009 and learned about my waves and that they are lovely with some length, rather than frustrating, and that I could do updos with more length, so onward to longer it goes! Never to return to the damage of perms and heat...definitely life-changing!

feralnature
April 23rd, 2012, 02:08 PM
Finding LHC changed my life, my hair has never been so beautiful as it is now after almost 5 years of reading this forum.

Amanah
April 23rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
Hair turning points:

When I was a kid I had a desire to have long hair.
It's wavy and tangly, Dear Mom decided to was too much trouble to take care of when it hit my waist and she chopped it to my ears, breaking my heart.

As an adult I read a bible verse that said long hair was a woman's glory and I grew my hair to tail bone length by just leaving it alone. But I still struggled with tangly hard to manage hair that I didn't really know how to take care of.

Chemo and going bald gave me an all new perspective on hair.
I started seeing hair length as a reflection of a person's health.

Now here I am learning how to take care of my wavy hair.
With the advice I'm getting from all you wonderful people, I'm growing my hair out and it's not unmanageable at all. This weekend I even did a self trim!!!

Clem_Dela
April 23rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
I don't remember the specific epiphany, but I do know that i've wanted long hair ever since i was seven or eight years old thanks to the awful mushroom hair cut i had at that age....

marobader
April 23rd, 2012, 02:50 PM
I use to love long hair on people but my hair never reach my waist even when I was a kid & I was trimmed it every year or more then I was sure I am not a long hair girl in high school I destroy it in collage I forget all about it keep it natural I notice it getting long it finnally retch waist but look bad I go to salon to trimmed the hairdresser told me it look so bad we should take of some more I need up with 19 cm of I cried for while it have been a year now gain 16 cm only with one 2cm trim but look much bitter