PDA

View Full Version : Return of Snowymoon's Hair Massage Technique

amaiaisabella
July 24th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Hi all! Has anyone kept up with this technique? I was able to access this through the old boards, but if you can't, here is a link: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15976

I don't know why I can't see the pictures, but I've been trying this based off what Snowymoon wrote and I have seen noticeable growth! I started in June and I've seen an inch of growth since then- not big for some people, but for a girl who used to get about 1/2 inch growth every six months, this is a cause for celebration :)

Has anyone else tried this?

NurseMama
July 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I am totally going to try this tonight!

helpmegro
July 25th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I've been using this technique (well, a slightly modified version) for the past week or so. I probably won't notice any growth for a few weeks, but it does seem to be well distributing oils through much of my hair. I do think that this method of distributing sebum does make the hair healthier.

JessTheMess
July 25th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I'll be trying this asap!!! Thank you

amaiaisabella
July 25th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I have also noticed that it seems to delay my washes by spreading out the oils. I have been able to go 5 days, which is great for such a fine hair like me :) Unfortunately, there has also been an increase in the number of hairs that fall out when I do this, but I hope it's increasing growth. Is that possible? :confused:

NurseMama
July 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I did this last night (I CO washed yesterday morning) and this morning my curl is all gone and my roots are greasy :rolleyes:. I know that the previous thread mentioned an increased sebum production after this as well as fine haired folks getting greasy. The problem is that it didn't feel like I was moving the sebum down at all :shrug: Do I keep trying?

Islandgrrl
July 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM
This sounds promising. I may have to give it a try for a month or two. What the heck, can't hurt!

Meli
July 25th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I have also noticed that it seems to delay my washes by spreading out the oils. I have been able to go 5 days, which is great for such a fine hair like me :) Unfortunately, there has also been an increase in the number of hairs that fall out when I do this, but I hope it's increasing growth. Is that possible? :confused:

I also get increased shedding when I do this kind of scalp massage. I thought too that it perhaps was a sign of increased growth, and that the shedding was an initial problem that would pass when my scalp got more used to massage. Unfortunately I did not notice any decrease in the shedding, so I quit after two weeks because I didn't want to lose more hairs.

I have recently started to do a modified version of this massage technique - instead of moving the fingers around on my scalp, I "plant" them to the scalp and move my scalp around. I move my scalp in small circles, replace my fingers, move scalp around again and repeat until my entire scalp has been massaged. I also just fingercomb to move the sebum down instead of pulling the sebum down as described - I tend to pull too hard, and that does also seem to increase my shedding. My modified version is gentler on my hair during all moments, and I don't seem to get any increased shedding by doing it this way. I don't know yet if my growth has increased - it's too soon to measure any particular difference.

amaiaisabella
July 25th, 2008, 01:32 PM
NurseMama, I would keep trying for a few more days before making a decision one way or another :)

I mostly just massage my head, and then run my fingers down to the ends of my hair to "spread" the oils. I'm still not sure I'm doing it precisely right, because I don't "tug" at the roots, but my growth has increased, so that's always good! :)

Golden21
July 25th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I have recently started to do a modified version of this massage technique - instead of moving the fingers around on my scalp, I "plant" them to the scalp and move my scalp around. I move my scalp in small circles, replace my fingers, move scalp around again and repeat until my entire scalp has been massaged. I also just fingercomb to move the sebum down instead of pulling the sebum down as described - I tend to pull too hard, and that does also seem to increase my shedding. My modified version is gentler on my hair during all moments, and I don't seem to get any increased shedding by doing it this way. I don't know yet if my growth has increased - it's too soon to measure any particular difference.

This is also what I do. I like the way this feels and I am getting the same affect.

I also do not always put my head upside down, it's awkward for me to do that sometimes, but I'm sure this does have an affect on the outcome.

chrissy-b
July 25th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I do it as Meli and Golden21 have described too. I do it so infrequently that I can't say if it's helped my growth or not though. I'm starting to do them again with an EO blend and if there's any change in my growth rate I'll let y'all know.

winter_star
July 26th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Thanks for bringing this topic up again. I'm going to start trying this massage technique. I think i'll modify it Golden21 and Meli's version though.

vidgrl007
July 26th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I really need to start doing this again.I have been slacking for a coupla weeks.i've been doing it now for 3mts and did notice a little growth:).