PDA

View Full Version : Mid-back as a goal, anyone? (pics)

buttercupmcgee
April 4th, 2012, 11:08 AM
In attempting to find posts about mid-back as a length goal, it seems most of the threads are about how this length is sort of neither here nor there, or about how the hair stalls here, etc.

This is my goal length, actually! I love the way it accentuates the waist and shows off the torso, but isn't quite as heavy to wear up in different styles (at least for me, when I had it last. *wistful tear.*) Where I live it's more unusual than BSL, too, which I like.

Below please see my dream hair. I'm just curious if there are others like me who aspire to a layered, mid-back look?:o

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7110/7045430291_e2aca63808.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67747390@N06/7045430291/)
Miranda Kerr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67747390@N06/7045430291/) by buttercupmcgee (http://www.flickr.com/people/67747390@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7088/7045429575_c337e604a5.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67747390@N06/7045429575/)
images (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67747390@N06/7045429575/) by buttercupmcgee (http://www.flickr.com/people/67747390@N06/), on Flickr

CharleaMurphy
April 4th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I'm not really sure about my goals right now.
Sometimes I think I want waist, other times I think I want TBL, sometimes I consider floor.
I figure I'll just wait until it gets there and decide when to stop growing it.
It will be a long time any way.
*Curse you, chin length layers*

racrane
April 4th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Even though I eventually want to get to hip, I am planning to stay between MBL and WL to trim off my layers. So, while I do not like the layered look, I too, like MB. It's long enough to do updo's but not long enough that my dried ends look terrible. If that makes sense. :) Anyway, I think it's a very pretty look.

Sillage
April 4th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Below please see my dream hair. I'm just curious if there are others like me who aspire to a layered, mid-back look?:o

If I had Miranda's gentle waves and perfect volume I would! I know most people here seem to be down on layers but I love them when they look as textual and voluminous as hers. They really make her hair dimensional.

holomi
April 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I have a waist-ish length cut like that, and I love it. I thought about layers for years, and I cut from hip to what you see in my avatar. Soon afterward I went back and got layers. I love this look :)

buttercupmcgee
April 4th, 2012, 11:42 AM
If I had Miranda's gentle waves and perfect volume I would! I know most people here seem to be down on layers but I love them when they look as textual and voluminous as hers. They really make her hair dimensional.

I know. I am a sucker for the volumes and waves. For me layers look fantastic with waves.

What's your goal?

buttercupmcgee
April 4th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I have a waist-ish length cut like that, and I love it. I thought about layers for years, and I cut from hip to what you see in my avatar. Soon afterward I went back and got layers. I love this look :)

Stunning! I love your bendy roller pics. Do you have any layered pics?

Zalisonia
April 4th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I'd love to have hair this long some day :) However, I'm not sure about it's possibility since women in my family don't have hair that long and I don't think mine was that long either, back when it was "long."

jesis
April 4th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I love that look! I think it's a pretty good goal. I'm growing my layers out now for the sake of healthy hair, but I think I will have them cut back in when I reach waist. :)

skraprchik
April 4th, 2012, 12:18 PM
This is my goal as well. I love how it looks.

Renate
April 4th, 2012, 12:30 PM
This used to be my goal too! Now I'm not sure if I'll stay at Mid-back or try Waist..

Hello Kitty <3
April 4th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Mid Back is my goal as well. I have NEVER had hair past my shoulders (I'm now at ear length), so I am quite excited to see how it goes with time :) Hopefully my baby fine hair will grow, grow, grow! :)

Good Luck to you all!!

Sillage
April 4th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I know. I am a sucker for the volumes and waves. For me layers look fantastic with waves.

What's your goal?

Mid back would suit me fine but I'm greedy and would really prefer waist. :D If I had as much volume as Miranda I would def. stop at mid back, but alas my hair is fairly straight and doesn't have much body.

jacqueline101
April 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Your picture is lovely. I was aiming for tail bone but I might reconsider it if my hair doesn't look good at tail bone.

Seeshami
April 4th, 2012, 02:43 PM
The naughty mess is having a love affair with mid back right now. In a few more months we'll be at waist band and then he'll have a love affair with belts.

I would go more layered if my curls didn't fall flat in 5 minutes or less.

jojo
April 4th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Mid back is a lovely length, it always looks pretty and you can still wear it down and show it off too!

blondie9912
April 4th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Her hair is beautiful, and it seems like a long MBL. I would be happier with that hair than a blunt waist, for sure

buttercupmcgee
April 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Mid back would suit me fine but I'm greedy and would really prefer waist. :D If I had as much volume as Miranda I would def. stop at mid back, but alas my hair is fairly straight and doesn't have much body.

I'm curious about why you feel waist would look better than MBL with your hair texture?

I love learning about the ins and outs of people's aesthetic preferences. For example, my hair is wavy, and I like it best either at shoulder, because I think it has more of a chic French girl vibe, or at MBL, for the mermaid effect. I find APL and BSL to be a bit blah on me. So do tell, why waist for the straightness and low body?

BrightEyes
April 4th, 2012, 08:08 PM
My goal has been BSL, but lately I've been thinking that growing just an inch or two longer would be really pretty. I love how that length looks, and it seems pretty versatile. I will be able to wear updos (my hair is fine and on the thin side), but it also will look beautiful down too.

Sillage
April 4th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Waist would let me do bigger buns. I'm an updo lover and love to see loads of hair all piled up. Maiko style hair is an especial favorite of mine. The way the masses of hair contrast with the slimness of the neck is just so elegant. Most maiko only have BSL or MBL hair tho... the hairstyle you see is a confection of yak hair, paper inserts, and wax pomade.

For wearing hair down, I don't know if waist would be best... will have to see how my hair behaves. I don't want to look scraggly or super limp!

FireFlies55
April 4th, 2012, 08:13 PM
OP,

Yes! You're not alone! Waist is a little too long for me. It's gorgeous, but I have a very undefined waist and I worry about having too much hair below/around it. Also, I fear having waist length hair would trigger my "need to chop" reaction D: Anyway, that's neither here nor there, my goal is mid-back. Basically, I want my hair to pass the "boob-test" as my friend with waist length hair told me. I love the soft layers in your "dream hair" pic! I may copycat your dream hair (:

Kristin
April 4th, 2012, 08:56 PM
That exact photo of Miranda Kerr was my original inspiration to grow my hair! My length is around hip right now, but I have blended layers starting around collarbone. LOVE long layers and waves!!!! :)

Carissamarie08
April 6th, 2012, 01:06 AM
This is my goal!

kidari
April 6th, 2012, 01:40 AM
My goal changes from BSL to MBL to waist to hip all the time but hands down what you posted is my favorite.

MonaLisa
April 6th, 2012, 02:50 AM
I think that is the shortest length I'd like to have :) That counts as goal too?

Raiscake
April 6th, 2012, 04:20 AM
My goal changes a lot, but there was a time where I was really set on midback. When I hit it, I felt like it wasn't enough, so I went for waist. Now that I'm waist, I still feel like it's not enough. So off to hip/tailbone I go. :D

Lici1209
April 6th, 2012, 08:08 AM
This is my goal! I'm a solid BSL now :]

Jessy22284
April 6th, 2012, 08:21 AM
It's my goal too, you're not alone!! I've never had hair that long, hopefully I can grow it that far. Waist length is too much for me to maintain. I just made it to BSL this month. The dream picture is what I wish I could do with my hair, but it's pin straight! I would love to duplicate it!

PixxieStix
April 6th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Well, BSL/MBL is one of my goals. :D It's where I plan on growing past and cutting off some of my current layers (they were put in for an angled bob, not exactly the right stuff for long hair), and once I reach hip or tailbone will probably have some long layers put in with a U shaped hemline. I love the texture they add, but want to make sure my up-dos are easy to put in and have minimal taper to braids, etc. if that makes any sense. But BSL is gorgeous!

MonaMayfair
April 6th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Mid-back is my favorite length. It WAS my goal this time (after cutting into a bob a few years ago) but now it's more or less there, I'll probably go for waist length, then evaluate.

My hair used to be tail bone length and I wouldn't want it that long again, I think mid-back looks much prettier.

tiarefleur
April 14th, 2012, 10:06 PM
My profile says waist, but that's my goal! I love Miranda Kerr's hair in that picture. I would love to have that length minus the layers (if I'm seeing things correctly). I think it's a flattering length without being too overbearing for my face!

By the way is mid back considered somewhere between BSL and waist?

HumanBean
April 14th, 2012, 10:17 PM
I think it is. I said BSL was my goal when I started here, but am thinking mid back of late. Layered for sure.

my2cats1
April 15th, 2012, 09:40 AM
So how is everyone defining mid-back -- is it the exact halfway mark between BSL and waist? Or do you have another set point in mind? (a third between BSL and WL? Two inches shorter than WL?) How will you know when you have reached your unique MB goal?

CarpeDM
April 15th, 2012, 09:43 AM
If I had more hair, I would love to have this hairstyle!

DancingQueen
April 15th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I am actually going for BSL/MBL, I think my hair will be easier to manage at that length. :)

UltraBella
April 15th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I wore my hair for years at MBL, always layered, and I loved it. I enjoyed it more than waist and TBL. I've recently gone shorter, MBL is just too much hair for me nowadays. Now I am APL and heavily layered.

buttercupmcgee
April 16th, 2012, 08:59 AM
If I had more hair, I would love to have this hairstyle!

Ha, funnily enough your avatar looks like my dream MBL hair!

buttercupmcgee
April 16th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I wore my hair for years at MBL, always layered, and I loved it. I enjoyed it more than waist and TBL. I've recently gone shorter, MBL is just too much hair for me nowadays. Now I am APL and heavily layered.

I saw your cut! It looks so chic!

buttercupmcgee
April 16th, 2012, 09:01 AM
So how is everyone defining mid-back -- is it the exact halfway mark between BSL and waist? Or do you have another set point in mind? (a third between BSL and WL? Two inches shorter than WL?) How will you know when you have reached your unique MB goal?

I have about six inches to work with between my bra strap and my waist. Anywhere in there is MBL I'd say, though the sweet spot is about half-way.

Iolanthe13
April 16th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Wow, that's more or less my goal - on me, I'd want it just a smidgen longer maybe. My hair looked similar to that length for a while though, and it was great; sadly there was always brassy faded dye and heat damage. I'm trying to get back to that length, with henna and no heat.

mzBANGBANG
April 16th, 2012, 09:48 AM
For whatever reason (OK I know the reason... it's my boobs, lol) MBL doesn't look as long on me. If it weren't for my, er, endowment, I'd go for MBL, alas I have to go for WL to achieve that effect. I agree though, I think it's the most flattering way to wear styled long hair. My goal is to hopefully get something that looks like that! Body markers aren't always the best truth tellers for my length unfortunately... always feel one step behind!

hootski
April 17th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Yup, that's my goal, MBL with layers. I adore layers. Miranda's style is exactly what I'm going for, though I have more layers than that at the moment.

Jessy22284
April 17th, 2012, 06:25 AM
When I originally joined my goal was MBL, but now it's slowly becoming waist. I'll probably have to see when I get there. I'll probably grow to waist (grow, grow, grow!!), and then trim back to MBL to get my hem thickened up and then add long layers to **TRY** to go for the "Miranda Style" - it's just so pretty. :crush:

cleanbug
April 17th, 2012, 06:26 AM
my hair was mid back & i cut it to 1" above bra strap because i was tired of it getting caught in everything. i have really enjoyed the new length but will probably grow it back to mid back. always need a goal right?

sazzie88
April 17th, 2012, 07:17 AM
This is EXACTLY how i want my hair too :) I think its gorgeous! I have very thin hair and wonder whether i would get away with layers........I will have to wait and see

Aggemam
April 17th, 2012, 07:26 AM
That's my goal too! I really like very long hair (like classic etc.) but I think my hair is too fine to look nice at that length and I think it's really nice with Mid back/waist length hair!

hootski
April 17th, 2012, 07:38 AM
For those of us who aren't at goal yet (which is most of us!), you might find this thread on rooibos tea (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71576) VERY interesting, if you haven't already seen it. :agree:

buttercupmcgee
April 17th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I think that is the shortest length I'd like to have :) That counts as goal too?

Haha, definitely! In that case, I've just hit APL--the shortest length I like to have, goal reached! :p

buttercupmcgee
April 17th, 2012, 07:42 AM
my hair was mid back & i cut it to 1" above bra strap because i was tired of it getting caught in everything. i have really enjoyed the new length but will probably grow it back to mid back. always need a goal right?

Yes, I always have some sort of wacky hair project going on---often having to do with the length and amount of layers:-)

buttercupmcgee
April 17th, 2012, 07:45 AM
When I originally joined my goal was MBL, but now it's slowly becoming waist. I'll probably have to see when I get there. I'll probably grow to waist (grow, grow, grow!!), and then trim back to MBL to get my hem thickened up and then add long layers to **TRY** to go for the "Miranda Style" - it's just so pretty. :crush:

That sounds like a solid goal---how long is your hair at the moment?

buttercupmcgee
April 17th, 2012, 07:46 AM
For those of us who aren't at goal yet (which is most of us!), you might find this thread on rooibos tea (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71576) VERY interesting, if you haven't already seen it. :agree:

I am a rooibos newbie, so thanks for the link! It might be time for an experiment!

Jessy22284
April 17th, 2012, 07:55 AM
That sounds like a solid goal---how long is your hair at the moment?

It's at BSL, but VERY layered after my last trim in Feb - which was pre LHC. :(

BeckyAH
April 17th, 2012, 07:59 AM
For whatever reason (OK I know the reason... it's my boobs, lol) MBL doesn't look as long on me. If it weren't for my, er, endowment, I'd go for MBL, alas I have to go for WL to achieve that effect. I agree though, I think it's the most flattering way to wear styled long hair. My goal is to hopefully get something that looks like that! Body markers aren't always the best truth tellers for my length unfortunately... always feel one step behind!

Ditto. Body markers on me don't really apply the same way. I have big boobs and a super short torso. (Bottom of my brastrap and waist are about 3 inches apart - maybe, and my lowest rib sits ON the top of my pelvic bone.) So, waist for me should get me about that much hair/that look.

hootski
April 17th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I am a rooibos newbie, so thanks for the link! It might be time for an experiment!Me too, just started yesterday! Can't wait to see what happens over the next few weeks, considering how fast a lot of people see an increase in growth rate! :gabigrin:

julliams
April 18th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I've been pondering this thread for a few days now. In that pic of Miranda Kerr, I think her hair is much longer than mid back length. Mine is hip now and when I bring it to the front and lean forward the way she is doing, it comes to only just past the crook of my arm. I think her hair is at least waist in that shot.

When my hair was MBL I think it looked like above BSL when I brought it around to the front. That's why I was frustrated with that length, it seemed long at the back and short at the front. Given all the layering I can see in that shot, it must be longer than MBL to achieve that length at the front - unless there are some extensions being used for the shot.

hootski
April 19th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Julliams, you're probably right about Miranda's hair actually being longer than it appears! You're making me now want waist length. :hmm:

I saw a woman in the grocery store yesterday with MBL and I thought to myself that I actually want mine longer! 8)

buttercupmcgee
April 19th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I've been pondering this thread for a few days now. In that pic of Miranda Kerr, I think her hair is much longer than mid back length. Mine is hip now and when I bring it to the front and lean forward the way she is doing, it comes to only just past the crook of my arm. I think her hair is at least waist in that shot.

When my hair was MBL I think it looked like above BSL when I brought it around to the front. That's why I was frustrated with that length, it seemed long at the back and short at the front. Given all the layering I can see in that shot, it must be longer than MBL to achieve that length at the front - unless there are some extensions being used for the shot.

Interesting--that could very well be. It's hard to tell from that picture. In others from the same event it looks like a bunch of different lengths:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5111/7093918315_90941a42c7.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67747390@N06/7093918315/)
miranda_kerr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67747390@N06/7093918315/) by buttercupmcgee (http://www.flickr.com/people/67747390@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/7093908249_7dae71d946.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67747390@N06/7093908249/)
Miranda Kerr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67747390@N06/7093908249/) by buttercupmcgee (http://www.flickr.com/people/67747390@N06/), on Flickr

(Side note: It will never cease to amaze me how flawless famous people's hair can look, despite all the heat styling and color changes. Even if those are extensions, the top half must be hers--it's so shiny and gorgeous, it looks virgin!)

I guess hair goals are one of those things where when you know, you know. I think MBL looks great on others, but will i want to go longer once I hit it?

You made me think of something, though. I think I might actually prefer it when my hair is slightly shorter in front. I like a U hemline, so this naturally occurs--but I also think hair that's longer than my tatas in front drags down my face. So, tata length in front (with layers), and mid-back in back could be a sweet spot. That way I get the swishy swishy mermaid from behind, but the front is a bit bouncier, which my face shape needs. I wonder if anyone else prefers this, too?

Jessibear2854
April 19th, 2012, 01:18 PM
OP,

Yes! You're not alone! Waist is a little too long for me. It's gorgeous, but I have a very undefined waist and I worry about having too much hair below/around it. Also, I fear having waist length hair would trigger my "need to chop" reaction D: Anyway, that's neither here nor there, my goal is mid-back. Basically, I want my hair to pass the "boob-test" as my friend with waist length hair told me. I love the soft layers in your "dream hair" pic! I may copycat your dream hair (:

What's the boob test? I'm intrigued:)

I recently changed my goal from waist to MBL because, even at just an inch past BSL, my hair is really starting to overwhelm me. It feels unkempt and messy and I want to chop it (but I know better). I can't imagine what it would be like at waist.

I also LOVE layers! They make my hair behave so much better when down. At MBL I would not be afraid to wear it down and enjoy it.

earthnut
April 19th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Yes! I've had tailbone hair before. I don't want it that long again though. My hair is currently BSL and I don't want to go past waist. MBL is a lovely length! I'm happy with anything between shoulder and waist. :) And I adore my layers. I'm definitely not going back to having it cropped straight across. With my frizz prone hair that just looks awful.

ladylowtide
April 19th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I have a mini-goal of mid back length in July! And with this biotin, I actually might get there! I have pretty short torso.

Rosetta
April 20th, 2012, 01:10 AM
In that pic of Miranda Kerr, I think her hair is much longer than mid back length.
That's just what I was thinking, too (the photo in the first post, that is), it looked more like waist-length to me. But it's true that in the photos on this page, her hair looks shorter.

That's more or less the length my hair is at (minus the long face-framing bangs I recently cut), so I'm glad to hear some of you actually consider it as a goal :)

snakemaurits
April 20th, 2012, 01:52 AM
i used to have it at that length , but then i cut of part, now it's about upper middle back length, waist length is my new goal now :)