PDA

View Full Version : Um.. I have curls? wow. Third update from the really gross hair girl

khrystyne572
April 4th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Ok, since everyone has been so incredibly kind to me in my plight here. I decided to take many people's advice and see if there are any waves or curls in my hair.

In the shower I used conditioner only, no shampoo, dabbed it with a dry towel, then used some clear suave curly hair scrunch spray that I stole from my daughter. She has all kinds of hair products and I didn't know which one was best so I just guessed. Then I put some leave in conditioner on my ends.

This was the result. ( outside pics in a black shirt) more pink shows in the hair this time)

http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z462/kristineb5/

This is the first time I tried curls so I'm sure there's a way to do it better, but I'm not completely horrified, and I think, with some effort I could live with these. A curl cream might be better for me though.

If it looks worse, please be honest, you won't hurt my feelings. I can take it.

Sillage
April 4th, 2012, 11:11 AM

OMG What are you talking about it looks SO MUCH BETTER! I have to say I'm really amazed at the difference. Great job!

styric
April 4th, 2012, 11:11 AM
It looks much improved. You do need a creme. Might I suggest panacea, or one of the CG friendly ones? I'd also do a protein treatment then SMT as well.

This is going to be a long process as the blowfrying has damaged your curl pattern alot. I think you'll be a 3a or 3b when done... you've already got some spirals going.

barely.there
April 4th, 2012, 11:12 AM
actually i think it looks way better! You have really pretty curls, you just gotta let them out! Keep up that routine for a few months and see the magical transformation :P

khrystyne572
April 4th, 2012, 11:12 AM
OMG What are you talking about it looks SO MUCH BETTER! I have to say I'm really amazed at the difference. Great job!

Thanks. :) you made me smile. :)

CharleaMurphy
April 4th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I like it, it's pretty. :)
It looks better than the pictures in the grey shirt because that looks quite frizzy.

khrystyne572
April 4th, 2012, 11:14 AM
It looks much improved. You do need a creme. Might I suggest panacea, or one of the CG friendly ones? I'd also do a protein treatment then SMT as well.

This is going to be a long process as the blowfrying has damaged your curl pattern alot. I think you'll be a 3a or 3b when done... you've already got some spirals going.

Oh my gosh ,spirals, I never imagined! That would be neat if they come out. Thank you , thank you. I'm going to research some of the curly hair posts on here. ( I usually just skimmed past them. )

Bedhead
April 4th, 2012, 11:15 AM
HUGE, HUGE and WONDERFUL difference, khrystyne572! Embrace the curls! :D

buttercupmcgee
April 4th, 2012, 11:17 AM
It's been so fun to watch all of this unfold! It looks GAWWWGUS, I'm so happy for you! :cheese:

Imagine how much lusher it will look as your bag of tricks grows and evolves, too:-) Viva la waves and curls!

novemberfoxtrot
gorgeous! love it!

Macaroni
Wow, gorgeous!

kitschy
April 4th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I LIKE it! :D

Kiwiwi
Ohhhh, I'm so happr for you! See how much more shiny and less parched you hair already is? :D
Think about how it will look once the damage has grown out and you really found the products that work best for your hair! It'll be amazing!

I always knew I had curls but I could never make them work and used to wear it brushed (POOF) or just up because I didn't want to deal with it or straighten it with an straightning iron. I even chemically relaxed my hair twice. The journey of a curly that lots of curlies can identify with, I'm sure. But since discovering the curly girl method I LOVE my hair. Knowledge is power, really. Accepting what you have and gaining the knowledge to make it look its best! It's awesome.

Curl creams are often too heavy for me and I've noticed people around me feel the same. Leaving in some conditioner while showering (rinsing about 70% out and leave the rest in) and using (drying alcohol free) gel is what works for me. The gel is the finishing touch for me. Without gel my curls would be quite nice but WITH gel it was awesome, soft, bouncy, amazing. One VERY important thing is to scrunch the hard gel cast out of your curls once your hair has dried. Else you have crunchy, hard, wet looking curls ^_^

Good luck on your journey!
I love curlies gaining curly knowledge ^_^

zombi
It looks a ZILLION times better honey!

Kaelee
April 4th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Oh my goodness! It looks amazing!!!!! I want hidden curls too! haha :D

I knew you were hiding curlies in there, I knew it I knew it!!! :D :D :D

Sillage
April 4th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks. :) you made me smile. :)

Good! You deserve it! :D

DarkSky
April 4th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Oh wow!!! That is the best before and after that I have ever seen!!!
Funny I just posted in your other thread with a suggested routine for you to try and it is similar to what you ended up doing! Sweet!!!! I'm so excited for you and your new found hair. THe adventures begin :D

spidermom
April 4th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Oh my goodness; so much better! It doesn't look as damaged as I originally thought, either.

Remember - easy does it when trying product for the first time. It's easy to add a little more, harder to reverse if you use too much.

Amazing how many of us started out thinking we had straight hair that just wouldn't behave, only to find beautiful curls! I'm almost (but not quite) ready to cut my hair shorter to re-gain my curls.

DarkSky
April 4th, 2012, 11:30 AM
BTW from the pics you look like an F i/ii 2c/3a

malin_798
April 4th, 2012, 11:33 AM
It look so much healthier! :) Love your curls!

Alvrodul
April 4th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Lovely, lovely curls! And I see you are getting a lot of good advice from the curlies, so hopefully your curls will be happy and bouncy soon! :D

Maelyssa
April 4th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Your hair's definitely not gross...it's got nice curl. The hint of color really looks nice with it.

joflakes
April 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM
The curls look a million times better! Embrace them! :)

Tia2010
April 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM
It looks so much better! See your hair was just trying to tell you that it wanted to be curly :D

heidi w.
April 4th, 2012, 11:55 AM

Be really careful about deciding to performing a protein treatment. It can cause problems if you don't know what you're doing and why. Most people have fine protein amount in their hair, it's just what they're doing to their hair that causes problems, usually. IF you want to discern if your hair needs protein, go to a professional hair colorist and ask them to assist you in assessing if you need a protein treatment. They can conduct a strand test for you and counsel you.

heidi w.

Amanah
April 4th, 2012, 11:58 AM
great job, your hair looks much nicer curly :)

turtlelover
April 4th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I'm loving the natural wave pattern....soooo much nicer!!!:cheese:

Quixii
April 4th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Wow!
I didn't post in your earlier threads because I generally agreed with the masses, and here's the proof! I'm so glad that you've discovered this now. Take it from another curly, finally discovering that you're not a "poofy wavy" or a "misbehaving straight-y" is actually almost life changing. :D Come hang out in the Wurly & Curly thread! :D

whitedove
April 4th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Your hair looks alot better like this. Hope you enjoy embracing your curls :D

sun-kissed
April 4th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Oh my word, that's the most amazing transformation I've seen since I've joined this forum! Congratulations on your curly discovery!! :cheese:

pepperminttea
April 4th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Wow! Your hair looks beautiful curly, with some long-term love and care I can only imagine what your hair is capable of. Wear your curls proudly! :D

khrystyne572
April 4th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Thank you! Thank you! You all are super kind. :)

dulce
April 4th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Much better!!Get the Curly girl handbook[sold in book stores or they can order it]It details how to cut your own curly hair,how to wash ,condition and style curls.It also explains the different levels of curlies and the treatment for each and how to tell what you have.It also comes with a great dvd.Try throwing away your brush,brushes makes curly hair frizzy,I am a curly also.Also try switching to airdrying and a wide tooth comb and lots of moisture and conditioning but make sure get that book ,it is fabulous.

Anje
April 4th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Ooh, nice curls! Yep, you're definitely a curly.

Just wait. A month or two of additional moisture and TLC will help the frizz go down and your hair will look better and better!

lapushka
April 4th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Oh wow, look at that difference! So, so much better! Yay! :cheer: Imagine what it would be like when you get good at this and carefully pick your products instead of just trying something at random. :D

pixiestar
April 4th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Wow amazing transformation. Great job, beautiful curls:D
Definitely check out the curly girl method:D

PixxieStix
April 4th, 2012, 01:11 PM
I almost didn't believe that was the same head of hair! The difference is astounding, and your hair has a gorgeous pattern! You need to get you some more curly girl methods and I can only imagine how gorgeous it'll be after a year or two of LHC care. Congratulations on your stunning discovery! ^_^

AnaGeorgette
April 4th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I don't have curly hair, but a while back I read about the 'plopping' method to bring out natural curls.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop

I have no idea if it works, but I thought I'd mention it anyway =) You're lucky to have such pretty curls!

Hollyfire3
April 4th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Amazing! I LOVE those waves and they will be AMAZING with some TLC, great going!!!

jacqueline101
April 4th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Your curls are beautiful.

dwell_in_safety
April 4th, 2012, 04:28 PM
What an improvement! :D Your hair in the old pictures reminds me of how mine used to be; yours will keep getting better and better the more TLC you give it, believe me.

christiner
April 4th, 2012, 04:31 PM
looks nice!

Nae
April 4th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Well isn't that a fabulous surprise!! Congratulations! That is the best part about this place it allows you to get to know your hair better and better!

Amethyste
April 4th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Oh wonderful!!!! It looks amazing! NEVER ever brush it again!!! :D

Teazel
April 4th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Wow, so much better! Congratulations. :)

jeanniet
April 4th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Yup, there you go: you're a curly! Looks 100% better, too. Give it a month or two as you learn how to manage it, and you'll be amazed. :)

ravenheather
April 4th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Much better.

HintOfMint
April 4th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Much, much better, I'm glad you had this revelation! Just wait until you grow the damage out, it will be GORGEOUS!

DragonFlyPie
April 4th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Wow! What a difference! I love the curls, too! They look great!! :D

julliams
April 4th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Amazing - I just knew it! Now I stand by my initial suggestion of getting moisture into your hair.

The thing you are going to want to do is try everything but this is not going to be best for your hair. Just take it slow and introduce one thing at a time. The first I would do is the moisture thing. It honestly takes a few months or twice a week or weekly treatments. The recipe I use is 1 part honey, 1 part clear aloe gel to four parts conditioner (silicone free). Mix it up and put it through your hair, comb with a wide tooth comb and leave on your hair for an hour. You can wrap it up in cling film and pop a hot towel on if you like.

When I rinse out, I use cold water, then I take my microfibre towel (or you can use a t-shirt) and scrunch my ends gently up to my head with the towel/t-shirt. Then put in my leave in and I just let it airdry. The trick is NOT TO TOUCH it or else it ends up frizzy.

The leave in's I use are Giovanni Direct Leave in Conditioner (use in wet hair) or Nightblooming Panacea( I use in dry hair).

Another treatment you can try is lite coconut milk. Put a third of a can through hair, bun and leave for an hour. Then wash and condition as normal. Makes hair really soft.

Debra83
April 4th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Looks wayyyyyy better! Congrats!

ladyfitzgerald
April 4th, 2012, 10:45 PM
hooo! Welcome to the curly hair club! Keep trying out new ways of styling your hair and you will love your curls!

Wanderer09
April 4th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I love seeing people discover their curls! Keep up the research and trying new things; your hair will appreciate the proper treatment and it'll keep getting nicer and nicer. :)

skaempfer
April 4th, 2012, 11:24 PM

This is the first time I tried curls so I'm sure there's a way to do it better, but I'm not completely horrified, and I think, with some effort I could live with these. A curl cream might be better for me though.

Ha ha.
You're pulling our collective legs, right?
It's looking soft and shiny and totally lost the frizzy wirey look. It looks good. A little love, some SMTs and you'll be on your way!

jessie58
April 4th, 2012, 11:30 PM
I just discovered your threads about your hair. Well I am flabbergasted beyond words. Your hair is night and day different and those gorgeous curls!!! Wow, keep it up. You have fabulous hair.

Safira
April 5th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Awesome curls =) :cheese:
Keep on this routine.

carolinaberry
April 5th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I definitely like the curls!

Anywhere
April 5th, 2012, 03:51 PM
:thud: What an improvement! It looks so much better.

faithsdaisy421
April 6th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I haven't been on here in awhile, but I want to share with you the miracle product that I have found...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=curl+smoothie&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=944117599999314299&sa=X&ei=f1h_T7z4LInZiQKdgfHFAw&ved=0CCQQ8wIwAA

This stuff works wonders. I found it in the ethnic section at Walgreens. Try it. You wont be sorry!!!

Quixii
April 6th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I haven't been on here in awhile, but I want to share with you the miracle product that I have found...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=curl+smoothie&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=944117599999314299&sa=X&ei=f1h_T7z4LInZiQKdgfHFAw&ved=0CCQQ8wIwAA

This stuff works wonders. I found it in the ethnic section at Walgreens. Try it. You wont be sorry!!!
Oo, that does look good! Does it have cones?

faithsdaisy421
April 6th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Oo, that does look good! Does it have cones?
Nope! That is why I love it :p