PDA

View Full Version : Hair shedding!

AngelinIvy
April 4th, 2012, 09:56 AM
A month ago I stopped taking birth control and ever since then my hair is falling out alot more than usual. My doctor said that sometimes you can have shedding after stopping the pill. I started taking it again 4 days ago. It is still falling, maybe after a few weeks it will stop hopefully. Has anyone else had this problem. I also started using a different shampoo and conditioner right around the same time. I switched to sulfate free shampoo now, but still using suave conditioner. Whenever I take a shower, I don't notice any hair coming out when I shampoo, but as soon as I rinse the conditioner out, the drain clogs immediately. Could the suave be causing my hair shedding or maybe its just the pills? I've been reading reviews online about suave shampoo causing hair loss but nothing about conditioner. I know it has thinned because I used to only be able to wrap a hair band around my hair 3 times with difficulty and now I can wrap it 4 times easy. Help!

EtherealDoll
April 4th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Even if the conditioner doesn't cause shedding for other people, it might be not right for your hair. It's all individual. Maybe you should try not using it for some time and see if the shedding stops.

swearnsue
April 4th, 2012, 01:10 PM
There are so many things that can cause shedding it almost impossible to know for sure. If it started right after stopping the pills, that is probably the reason for the shed and it will take a while to get the hormones balanced again. I know some people, including myself, take MSM to reduce shedding. It has really helped me and I only take half the recommended amount. I know it's hard not to be distressed but remember that all those hairs will grow back.

AMPere77
April 4th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Boy oh boy do I understand your stress on this topic!

When I went off hormonal birth control I definitely lost A LOT of hair... a lot like post-natal shed (for anyone else who has had that). A few month later it slowed and started growing back, though. Not sure what your reason was for stopping BC, but if you decide to do it again, the hair shed will likely slow after a transitional period.

Also, I hypothesize that the shedding you notice upon conditioning has something to do with the "stripping" of sebum during shampoo combined with the "slip" provided by the conditioner. You just perhaps notice it more than the shedding that happens though out the day since it's hands on? Idk. It's a theory.

jacqueline101
April 4th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I'd dry monistat its suppose to help with shedding.

moralita
April 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I've gone on and off BC in the past and it totally wreaked havoc on my skin and hair. I'm sorry you're going through this, shedding is so stressful!

For unknown reasons, I've been experiencing a lot of shedding right now, and I've noticed the exact same thing with my conditioners! I agree with AMPere77 -- I've been thinking maybe the slip of the conditioner dislodges hairs that have already been shed from the rest of the hair during the conditioning/detangling process. It still bothers me, and I hope I can find a conditioner that doesn't do this. It still seems to happen even if I'm very careful to concentrate it only on my ends.

If you're not already taking a multivitamin, I suggest looking into one! It's one of the only things that has helped my shedding to stabilize. I ran out a couple weeks ago and didn't have time to replace it, and sure enough my shedding returned. I started taking my multivitamin again four days ago, and I think it's already helping a little.