PDA

View Full Version : My hear is really gross-update with airdry pics.

khrystyne572
April 4th, 2012, 09:53 AM
So yesterday I posted how unhappy I am with my hair and posted some pictures seeking advice. ( thank you all who replied, I'm so grateful! )

Some people said I should upload an airdry picture so they could give more accurate feedback.
below is a link to what my hair looks like air dry with no conditioner, just shampoo and a wide tooth comb used once.

For some reason the color is totally different inside, even though I swear I took these the same day!

http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z462/kristineb5/

( the air dry pic is where I'm wearing a black shirt. The blowdry pic is the stripey shirt)

Ok, really scary huh? Medusa? yeah, I know. Any additional input is appreciated with this new information. I'm pretty sure the advice is going to be the same. No more heat products. As you can see I can't go out looking like this so I'm going to have to get good with braids or something .. fast.

spidermom
April 4th, 2012, 10:03 AM
It looks like you have a lot of breakage, so first would be determining what is causing the breakage and stop doing that. Also use conditioner to add moisture, a very small amount massaged through the length at least. You can use either the rinse-out or the leave-in kind.

It also looks like your hair has a lot of wave to it, which you broke up by combing through. Try finger-combing some styling gel or clear aloe vera gel through your hair and scrunching a bit. (P.S. - this works best for me if I start with wet hands and a small amount of gel; it's softer that way.) Your hair will be in better condition when you learn to work with your natural texture.

I had to learn this. When I joined LHC 6 years ago, I thought my hair only looked good straightened. I was embarrassed to post my first naturally wavy/curly picture; I thought it looked so messy. Not only did LHC reassure me that it looked beautiful natural, but I started asking my family, and every single person told me they liked the wave/curl better. So I started wearing it that way - so much easier! Now I'm a little sad that my length is pulling out my natural wave/curl.

littleizz
April 4th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I know I posted on the last thread because I remember the striped shirt photo, but I don't remember following it for some reason.

I'm sure people gave good advice in the last thread, and it sounds good that you're giving up heat products for a while. My one ABSOLUTE suggestion would be to ditch shampoo. Your hair and scalp may hate you for a little while, but I think using strictly conditioner will do wonders for you.

Do you know what your real hair texture is? I know it's all pretty fried-looking right now, but to me it still looks like it's trying to wave, which probably means it's a LOT curlier than you think it is. The curly girl method (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/all-about-the-no-poo-routine-2) might not do you much good at the moment, but it might be an option down the road when your hair starts to recoup.

Thats my maintenance :twocents: . Others might have better repair and restoration advice, but ultimately I think it's just going to take a lot of time and patience. You've picked the right spot to come for advice, though!! Welcome and enjoy the journey!

styric
April 4th, 2012, 10:08 AM
It looks like you're a hidden curly. That looks like parched, brush curls or heavy waves to me.

If you change your techniques and drop the brush, drop the coney serums, use a wide tooth comb or fingers, add more moisture (I suggest a good leave in looking at your waves) and try the aloe as previously mentioned, you'll notice a big change. Don't be afraid of the waves 'clumping' together even though it seems so ugly to you. To tidy it up, when it's wet twirl them around your finger and let them dry UNTOUCHED. Don't run your fingers through it or break them up.

If it doesn't look right, put your hair up in a french braid or bun and ignore it.

I think you'll be surprised what your hair will show you once it's feeling better

Kaelee
April 4th, 2012, 10:11 AM
You're curly!!! :D

Stop brushing it! Seriously. Don't brush or comb it, and let it dry. See what happens. That looks like curls that have been brushed. :D :D :D

kitschy
April 4th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I think a lot of women with natural curl or wave try to pretend it isn't. Years of combing and brushing, blowfrying and straightening will kill the natural health of your hair.

I spent years and years trying to brush my hair straight and it looked much like yours. I was really afraid of wearing my natural curl. It is much easier to care for now that I appreciate my texture.

My suggestion is "try it, you'll like it!" :)

spidermom
April 4th, 2012, 10:14 AM
P.S. - if you live in a dry climate, the aloe vera gel could dry your hair out. It works great for my hair because I live in a moist climate. You might need to look for a moisturizing styling gel or curl creme. Start with a very small amount, about the size of a pea rubbed between wet palms.

styric
April 4th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Good point spidermom.

OPs hair looks alot like mine when I first started, to the point where I eyeballed it and wondered if someone stole my pictures. It took over 9 months of babying, heavy moisture treatments and very careful handling to recover from that point, but I'm almost there. I S&D half as many split ends, and I don't have as much fuzz popping out of my curls or braids anymore.

Another thing, is it possible there's a protein problem going on there as well? Either too much or too little

buttercupmcgee
April 4th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Just wondering why you didn't use conditioner for the photo? Do you generally not use it?

I totally agree you should follow the curly girl method for a while. If you decide to co-wash, let it sit on your scalp for a while in the shower, while you do other things. This makes all the difference in the end result/cleanliness IMO.

jeanniet
April 4th, 2012, 10:36 AM
I think you're probably even more curly than that picture indicates, and like many curlies, you've been trying to beat your hair into submission--working against it instead of with it (BTDT). It'll look much better if you can get some moisture into it and probably some protein as well. An SMT will do wonders for your hair.

Kiwiwi
April 4th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Your hair looks like mine did when it was brushed and damaged. And I am 3b. I think you are a curly. With damage that needs to grow out. It looks like brushed, parched curls.

I do suggest the curly girl method. Stop using harsh shampoo's, up the (silicone free) conditioner usage a bunch and give it lots of moisture. I still brush after my showers, I brush wet with a tangle teezer because brushing dry gives me damage (cos I'm a curly, obviously). But that's because I have it up every day. When I want to wear my curls/have my hair down I follow the curly girl method completely. Just conditioner, no combing/brushing, just finger combing, gel to hold the curls and air dry, final step is scrunching the hard gel cast out when it's dry and voila, soft bouncy curls!
I do clarify about once every months with a harsh sulfate shampoo and I use a protein product once every few weeks when my hair starts to feel too limp. But that's personal and we all have to figure out what our hair wants.

Good luck! :)

PinkyCat
April 4th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Man I wish I could see the photo - I'm at work & pbucket is a blocked site. Maybe take a look over at naturallycurly.com - I'm a member there too - there are some really good methods & tips & curl typing guides there. It's a different atmosphere over there, but the hair stuff is good.

khrystyne572
April 4th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Just wondering why you didn't use conditioner for the photo? Do you generally not use it?

I totally agree you should follow the curly girl method for a while. If you decide to co-wash, let it sit on your scalp for a while in the shower, while you do other things. This makes all the difference in the end result/cleanliness IMO.

I'm not sure.. I just thought that's the way I had to so someone could type it- so it wasn't hidden by cones or whatever. No matter, it looks pretty much the same with conditioner.

Thank you for the curly girl advice. I'm going to make a new post about curls-

heidi w.
April 4th, 2012, 11:02 AM
So yesterday I posted how unhappy I am with my hair and posted some pictures seeking advice. ( thank you all who replied, I'm so grateful! )

Some people said I should upload an airdry picture so they could give more accurate feedback.
below is a link to what my hair looks like air dry with no conditioner, just shampoo and a wide tooth comb used once.

For some reason the color is totally different inside, even though I swear I took these the same day!

http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z462/kristineb5/

( the air dry pic is where I'm wearing a black shirt. The blowdry pic is the stripey shirt)

Ok, really scary huh? Medusa? yeah, I know. Any additional input is appreciated with this new information. I'm pretty sure the advice is going to be the same. No more heat products. As you can see I can't go out looking like this so I'm going to have to get good with braids or something .. fast.

I'm sure you don't have snakes for hair!!! i'm certain it's not that bad. The first thing I recommend is stopping using all this negative, putdown language concerning your hair. It will get better, it will get fixed. Just some trial and error first, and then you'll be okay. I promise, there is FAR worse in the world, and I"ve frankly seen it. And you don't have it. So have some hope. Approach this with a can-do attitude, and you're around halfway there.

heidi w.

DarkSky
April 4th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Definitely a wavey curly!!! :) I agree with all the other posters! Your hair probably just needs lots and lots of moisture and for you to try to avoid the blow dryer. Get regular trims to cut off any damage. I totally recommend that you try to follow a typical curly routine.

Not knowing all your hair properties its hard to say what exact routine would work perfectly for you but going off of the pictures I would give a routine similar to this a try (at least for starters):

- Try the condition only washing method (no silicones and no sulfates) (but clarify the cones out of your hair first)
- do all your detangling with the conditioner in your hair
- rinse
- add more conditioner in as leave in then finger style how you want your hair to sit
- get rid of excess wetness and be careful when using a towel as to not ruffle up the waves/curls and introduce frizz... use a microfiber towel or some similar alternative instead of a classic cotton towel.
- scrunch in some gel
- air dry

The leave in conditioner is the part that I think could make the most difference for you!! It did for me.

heidi w.
April 4th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Okey-dokey. You exhibit all the problems that traditional curly headed folks experience.

Curly hair generally by its very nature is a bit drier compared to other hair textures, such as my stick straight hair. So the first thing I would recommend is to be honest about what your hair type is, and stop asking your hair to behave other than what it is by nature.

It's very important to come to terms with our hair as given to us. Because then we can stop doing wackadoo stuff that isn't appropriate, and cease expecting our hair to behave differently.

I suspected you were a curly head of hair by nature, yesterday. According to the book Curly Girl, you very likely are a candidate for Condition Only Washing, scalp included UNLESS you have a scalp skin condition that we don't know about. But I would advocate you acquire the followup book Curly Girl Handbook which is the most updated book by this author, who herself possesses super curly hair. I do not condition only wash, but I am fairly convinced based on these most recent photos that condition only washing will work best for you.

Here's a link to the book:
http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Handbook-Lorraine-Massey/dp/076115678X
The author is Lorraine Massey and most bookstores require one to order this book as they do not carry it on bookshelves in bookstores.

Here's a link to her website,
http://devachansalon.com/

Devachan Salon which sells conditioners and low- to no-poo shampoos for use on curly heads of hair. On this website you can also read about the author by looking at a different area of the website and see a picture of her with all her lovely curly locks!!

Curly heads don't do well, apparently, with sulfates as this can often suppress and disrupt the behavior of curls, even dulling the coil and apparently causing the curliness to dilute. I would reserve straightening for a long time, such as a year or more, and then do it only if you want to show off your hair, not on any regular schedule. Certainly not daily. Such as only for special occasions, and similar type of events.

You need a fair amount of moisture by nature. This is the trouble with curly hair.

I have a friend who has super curly hair and she recently switched to using WEN shampoo as advertised on TV and loves it. Her hair IS softer and better behaved.

I think if you oil you'll fare better if you oil by spritzing it on while the hair is still wet.

I would continue with the use of a wide-tooth comb, or perhaps finger comb on occasion.

To straighten your hair, I would not advocate blow drying, ever, for you.

IF you do need to use a blowfrier (and we call it that for a reason), it's important to set it on low heat and keep the dryer well away in distance from the hair, and not focus on a given spot overly much. I would recommend the use of an attachment known as a diffuser, and I would suggest half-drying, and then finish by air drying. Too much or strength of heat can absolutely cause damage such as splits and white dots. So I'd take it easy on blow drying, which will likely change your morning routine somewhat.

To straighten your hair, I would purchase huge barrel curlers with no velvet on the surface. I would roll the hair up in thin strips and pin to the head. And maybe a heat cap applied and set to low and let the hair dry most of the way this way. I would also be cautious to roll the hair under so that the hemline is attractively finished when you take the hair out.

I would not suggest that you Boar Bristle Brush until your hair is in far better condition and far less fragile. And I would suggest you also inquire how to BBB, if you do not know.

I would not recommend clarifying any time soon nor would I recommend you use a home recipe if you do so because your hair is in such fragile condition. First, there is no real need to clarify based on your post, and clarify with a store-purchased product that states it "clarifies" on the bottle. You want to see that word on the front of the bottle.

If you oiled in the past with Coconut Oil and it came out icky and greasy, and difficult to remove, this is most likely evidence of putting on too much oil. In hair care, MORE product does not equal better care.

I will advocate a deep conditioning treatment. Such as SMT or something along those lines. I used to use mayonnaise, but if you're having trouble with Coconut Oil, my guess is you'll have trouble with mayo. I personally use Biolage's Conditioning Balm, and I would suggest you could apply it heavily, leave it on for a bit while waiting out of the shower (capping the hair somehow while all this conditioner is in it), and then get back in and use fairly warm water to remove it.

Perhaps, at most, follow with a vinegar or ACV rinse.

Then leave your hair alone except for detangling. You have in actuality an enviable hair type that many wish they had. You have hair styling options that most people do not possess. I am stuck with stick straight all the days of my life, and never shall a furl appear.

So, be happy. You got the good luck sprinkle when it comes to hair. Just amp up the moisture and carry on. Remember to not do too much at once because you want to be able to track what does and does not work, reliably.

And finally, I would advocate that you stop dying your hair. This is hurting your hair in the long run. Just an idea to consider.

I wish you all the best,
heidi w.

You might do well with a leave-in conditioner, but I don't have a good one to recommend to you. I would think a little bit will help.

manderly
April 4th, 2012, 11:48 AM
As I said in your first thread, this is serious curl abuse. You are a curly and don't know it. Your hair looks EXACTLY like mine if I do what you do to your hair.

Go look into Curly Girl. Try it. Be shocked at having curls. Learn to embrace them.

heidi w.
April 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM
OH, I see now. You have two posts going presently on Mane Forum. My reply is in this thread, as it should be.

heidi w.

jacqueline101
April 4th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Your hair looks curly try letting the natural curl shine through.

annamoonfairy
April 4th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Have you used a treatment like virgin coconut oil to help with moisture? How often do you wash your hair and how often do you change hair care products?

Kelikea
April 4th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I really think you are a curly, or at least 2c. And I also think it looks better left to its natural curl pattern, which is a good thing, because it is a lot less damaging.