PDA

View Full Version : My bun keeps getting smaller

sapphire-o
April 4th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I don't know what's going on, but it seems my bun keeps shrinking. My hairtoys are looking bigger than before and my bun looks about 1/3 smaller than just a few weeks ago. It also feels much lighter and doesn't pull down much any more. OK so I've had a rather bad allergy season and slightly low iron count lately. But I didn't notice any big shedding. I've always been a big shedder and that didn't usually affect my thickness. What can possibly cause this? Also how come my hair is so much more slippery? I don't even use conditioner. Shedding couldn't have changed the texture, not when most of my hair is a couple years old. I have been wearing it down a lot since it's so hard to put up now.

Did anyone else experience similar things? What caused yours and how did you fix it? I was pondering about seeing my doctor, but she'll probably not take me seriously. Probably tell me it's natural aging. Sure I know women get thinner hair when they're older but I'm not 40 yet. I got my grandma's hair and she's 93 and still got plenty of hair.

Laylah
April 4th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Has your hair actually gotten thinner or is it just appearing thinner? Meaning, is your ponytail circumference actually smaller, or is your hair just more compact?
This is my theory, if you hair just appears thinner. You said you had a bad allergy season, which means that it probably just got warmer where you're living. So, less indoor heat, meaning your hair is less dried out and less static-y, which would explain why it's more slippery. I tend to get more volume, dryness, and coarseness in the winter than spring, too. My hair is definitely more compact in summer than winter as well. Although, it doesn't explain why it feels lighter... I mean, the other possibility would be a seasonal shed I guess. I tend to lose more hair around spring and fall as well.

dulce
April 4th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Maybe now that you're getting used to putting your hair up again,you are getting better at it and unconsciously doing tighter less loose buns with more tension.

spidermom
April 4th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Do you have pictures to compare? Or measurements?

RapunzelKat
April 4th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Have you changed the products you're using recently? I noticed you said you're not using conditioner - if that's a recent change that might be the cause. Any change in product might do it though, or changing from hard to soft water or vice versa.

Otherwise, it might have to do with your bunning technique, as dulce mentioned.

I would definitely measure you ponytail circumference and see if it's changed, which would rule out thinning as the cause if it's the same as always. Good luck! :flower:

sapphire-o
April 5th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the replies! I think it might be multiple factors. I did shed a lot lately. It did get warmer and might be the "spring shed", or it might be because my iron is low. I should get it tested. I didn't lose a lot of circumference, no more than 1/4" I think. Though I sure hope I don't lose any more. I'm not thick haired to start with.

Still don't know why it's so slippery, maybe I should gook it with oils and conditioner to increase drag. :)

caiti42
April 5th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Are you using more silicones? My hair is way thinner the more I use

Rini
April 5th, 2012, 05:06 AM
I second the silicones making hair appear thinner. I've just gone back to using a silicone leave-in and my hair is silky, but does appear thinner. It's not actually thinner though, because on the odd day that I don't use cones, it appears quite thick :confused: Don't know why cones have this effect.

Amber_Maiden
April 5th, 2012, 06:17 AM
I notice that when I put more product in my hair- oil, etc- my buns are smaller, because the hair is more compact, easier to use. I also find this happens when I use more conditioner. Did you switch up some products or anything like that?