PDA

View Full Version : Does wearing a hat damage hair?

GoldberryHair
April 3rd, 2012, 07:16 PM
Ok so at work we either have to wear our hair in a bun with a hair net over it, or in a low pony/braid and we can wear a baseball cap. I usually wear it in a bun either low or high, but lately they've been giving me headaches, and so I've switched to a low, loose braid and the baseball cap with is nice, but I'm worried if I wear it on a regular basis will it damage my hair at all? I'd rather wear it then the bun but I'm worried...

darklyndsea
April 3rd, 2012, 07:40 PM
I don't think it's likely to damage your hair too much except maybe at the part that adjusts, but I don't know for sure.

If you're worried about damage, you could reduce it by lining your cap with a smooth fabric like satin or wearing a scarf under it.

NymphSpirit
April 3rd, 2012, 08:21 PM
Be careful with how you secure your bun, use a scrunchie and you'll soon be seeing millions of split ends, even if it's a loose one. As for the hat... I've read somewhere that it's not the best, but I don't think it can be seriously damaging, I mean, those are the roots we're talking about, they're usually quite tough.

(Now, for the sake of curiosity, may I ask why are you required to wear your hair like that?)

swearnsue
April 3rd, 2012, 08:34 PM
When you wear your hat, try not to move it around too much, you know like a nervous thing. Each day maybe switch how you wear it just a little bit so it rubs on a different place on your hair and even switch out with the bun and hairnet once in a while. They might let you wear a silk scarf?

annamoonfairy
April 3rd, 2012, 08:38 PM
I think it depends on what the hat is made of and how it fits.

GoldberryHair
April 3rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
I don't think it's likely to damage your hair too much except maybe at the part that adjusts, but I don't know for sure.

If you're worried about damage, you could reduce it by lining your cap with a smooth fabric like satin or wearing a scarf under it.

OOooh! Good idea, (lining the hat) I'm totally gonna do that!

GoldberryHair
April 3rd, 2012, 08:55 PM
Be careful with how you secure your bun, use a scrunchie and you'll soon be seeing millions of split ends, even if it's a loose one. As for the hat... I've read somewhere that it's not the best, but I don't think it can be seriously damaging, I mean, those are the roots we're talking about, they're usually quite tough.

(Now, for the sake of curiosity, may I ask why are you required to wear your hair like that?)

I work in a deli with food :(

ALTHOUGH, it doesn't make sense to me. You can wear a bun but must put a hairnet over the bun part, but when you were a hat you can have a free pony... the bun isn't gonna lose hair, why cover it? I understand we work with food but it doesn't make sense lol

and yes the buns are always moderatly loose and held with mini claw clips

jacqueline101
April 3rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
I don't think it would.

coneyisland
April 4th, 2012, 07:22 AM
If you are going to wear one of those hats at work, I suggest covering over with a folded square scarf in du-rag style that part of your hair that would be in contact with the inside of the hat.

Buns with hairnets would be more hair-friendly than unlined hats of that type. You might find some hairstick buns that hold up stable and comfortable for you over long periods, and assemble them by using hairsticks in the first place, then securing them with hairpins, then removing the hairsticks.

Correa
April 4th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I work outside a lot, so I have to wear a hat or something. I've taken to wearing a scarf around my head with the knot at the side/base and leaving my pony tail long. It looks really pretty, not sure if it will be work appropriate for you though.

Hollyfire3
April 4th, 2012, 04:07 PM
What about a riding helmet? I ride horses once a week at least and have my hair in a low bun with the helmet on, will this cause breakage?