PDA

View Full Version : ridiculous Allure blurb

goldenmoments
April 3rd, 2012, 12:11 PM
I purchased the April issue of Allure magazine yesterday, to find the following long hair critisicim:

here is a link to it in my album:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8392&pictureid=130092

Frankly, hair that softly tents my body sounds very appealing...

It's interesting that they don't mention damage that would be an easy point to argue from a blowfriers perspective.

I can not imagine how hair can set off a metal detector....

auburntressed
April 3rd, 2012, 12:15 PM
I don't see the blurbs.

PixieKitten
April 3rd, 2012, 12:16 PM
I can't see anything either! :/

Aliped
April 3rd, 2012, 12:23 PM
I followed the link and it is ridiculous - I have no idea why long hair would set off a metal detector! Just weird

gossamer
April 3rd, 2012, 12:25 PM
I can not imagine how hair can set off a metal detector....

I can see the image when I click on the link, so at least it's working for some!

I've set off metal detectors before for the sheer amount of hairpins I had holding my hair in a bun. I assume that's what they mean?

malin_798
April 3rd, 2012, 12:29 PM
Oh, please. Who are they to decide what's sexy and not?! :confused:

goldenmoments
April 3rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
I can see the image when I click on the link, so at least it's working for some!

I've set off metal detectors before for the sheer amount of hairpins I had holding my hair in a bun. I assume that's what they mean?

oh, you are probably right. But I could never hold my hair up with just a pin or two with shoulder lenght hair either.:o

bluebird77
April 3rd, 2012, 12:33 PM
I see it. Jealousy perhaps? But don't worry, I don't think it's talking about the majority of LHCer's, just hair "that's achieved through extensive extensions or neglect". :D Neither seem common here. Perhaps the metal detector line is referring to clip in extensions or something... could they contain metal?

ETA: Oh of course, hair pins.

littleizz
April 3rd, 2012, 12:34 PM
Grr. I'll decide whether or not I'm sexy, thank you. And I LOVE prairie/pioneer woman styles. The nerve!!!

Seeshami
April 3rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
Really now..... Muffin pets me more now with longer hair then I ever remember him petting me before. He likes it

Amber_Maiden
April 3rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
How horrible! Why would anyone listen to that??!
I'd boycott the magazine if I read it..

goldenmoments
April 3rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Oh, please. Who are they to decide what's sexy and not?! :confused:

it's especially amusing because it is in a section detailing how things that do not seem in good taste can become fashionable, such as orange lipstick, and then it proceed to bash hair longer than waist.:rolleyes:

ladycaladium
April 3rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
I've set off the metal detector and my hair isn't even that long! Well, the hair pin I was using did, and it was just one!

But really, long hair can be achieved without neglect or extensions and can be really nice.

PixieKitten
April 3rd, 2012, 12:40 PM
I can see it now! =D
How dare they force their view of sexy on the people! What's sexy or not is different to each individual! ¬_¬

goldenmoments
April 3rd, 2012, 12:41 PM
How horrible! Why would anyone listen to that??!
I'd boycott the magazine if I read it..

yes! I used to read a lot of Allure when I was 15/16 and have not purchased it in a while. however, I was tempted by the bright nicki minaj cover of pink hair to purchase

barely.there
April 3rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
thats not even realistic. even if we all had bra strap length hair, we all have different thicknesses. I have essentially no hair - i can put my hair up with 1 bobby pin and it will stay secure. other people with the same length of hair as mine though, but thicker, need a zillion bobby pins simply because they have more hair.

whoever wrote this article is, literally, dumb.

HairCareJunkie
April 3rd, 2012, 12:47 PM
If "Allure" said so, it must be the truth, right? :rolleyes:

That article is a load of crap and anybody knows it. They just follow what's "hot" at this moment... maybe in a couple of months/year longer hair (past BSL) is fashionable again. Or maybe a pixie cut, who knows. I certainly don't want a pixie cut even it's "hot".

Just ignore such articles, we know better. It's just filling of the magazine with useless junk to seduce men or to look more appealing in their eye...

barely.there
April 3rd, 2012, 12:48 PM
sorry accidentally double posted...not sure how to delete.

goldenmoments
April 3rd, 2012, 12:52 PM
I see it. Jealousy perhaps? But don't worry, I don't think it's talking about the majority of LHCer's, just hair "that's achieved through extensive extensions or neglect". :D Neither seem common here. Perhaps the metal detector line is referring to clip in extensions or something... could they contain metal?

ETA: Oh of course, hair pins.

yes, but they make a point of putting a TIP on the page:

once hair reachs midback, it's time to reach for the scissors

leslissocool
April 3rd, 2012, 12:56 PM
nonsense, I think BSL hair is ugly and way too short. I also think orange lip stick, fashion or not, is UNACCEPTABLE! I'd be asking "what cult are YOU a part of" to someone wearing it...

goldenmoments
April 3rd, 2012, 01:02 PM
nonsense, I think BSL hair is ugly and way too short. I also think orange lip stick, fashion or not, is UNACCEPTABLE! I'd be asking "what cult are YOU a part of" to someone wearing it...

:D very funny. irronically, Doutzen kroes modeled orange lipstick just this past year for l'oreal

HintOfMint
April 3rd, 2012, 01:02 PM
Hey! I actually WANT my hair to be long enough to get ensnared in my belt buckle!

Meh, haters gonna hate. My guess is that the writer has never seen super long hair that wasn't damaged, they have a jaded/jaundiced view of extensions, or they just have a very narrow view of what is beautiful. In any case, when someone makes an unconventional decision, they should be prepared that not everyone welcomes their decision with open arms.

I guess there are two issues.
First, people believing that super long hair is not beautiful are full of it and that super long hair is objectively beautiful.
Second, voicing the opinion that super long hair is not beautiful. People should mind their own business and if someone wants to grow their hair to the floor, more power to them.

Wanting to be included in a beauty standard, and telling the "upholders" of the beauty standard to mind their own business are two very different things.

stew
April 3rd, 2012, 01:10 PM
I'm not really sure what's wrong with having prairie hair.. Silly societal standards.

leslissocool
April 3rd, 2012, 01:10 PM
:D very funny. irronically, Doutzen kroes modeled orange lipstick just this past year for l'oreal

I don't watch tv or wear much make up, so I didn't notice!

I looked it up... http://en.hairdresser-models.eu/photo/cosmetics/evening-make-up-eye-shadow-lipstick-orange-orange.jpg

Just.... Wow... I'm not even going to say what's on my head, I just cannot believe people push down long rapunzel hair and advertise THIS! I would think fashion like this would not try to put down any extreme, long or short, orange or red or blue... Yet they call us long haired women ridiculous :rolleyes:.

Tomoyo
April 3rd, 2012, 01:17 PM
"Sets off metal detectors?" What in all blue blazes...?

terpentyna
April 3rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
Well on my way to un-sexy then, I guess...

...We're such hipsters.

Amber_Maiden
April 3rd, 2012, 01:29 PM
Well on my way to un-sexy then, I guess...

...We're such hipsters.

yep. We so are.

Sillage
April 3rd, 2012, 01:41 PM
pppfffftttttt This is just Allure but even they should know better. Long hair is highly regarded in the fashion industry. Even a cursory look at the models on the runways will tell you that.

Tia2010
April 3rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
What utter BS :rolleyes:

Maybe her SO looked at someone with much longer hair than hers and got her panties in a twist :p

millyaulait
April 3rd, 2012, 01:44 PM

Well I don't think that kind of comment is really any better than the article itself.
It's still bashing. :(

leslissocool
April 3rd, 2012, 01:46 PM
Well I don't think that kind of comment is really any better than the article itself.

That was the point I was trying to make :)

millyaulait
April 3rd, 2012, 01:48 PM
That was the point I was trying to make :)

Oh, sorry. I got a little sad there, LOL.
I like BSL & orange lipstick! :p

AlannaMaria
April 3rd, 2012, 01:50 PM

I would agree. I think that's kind of the point of this post--we all have different likes/dislikes when it comes to hair lengths. Personally, I don't think any length is "ugly," but that's just my two cents.

//Nevermind, just read the post above me. Carry on, good LHCers!

leslissocool
April 3rd, 2012, 01:55 PM
Oh, sorry. I got a little sad there, LOL.
I like BSL & orange lipstick! :p

If you read my comment (the one with the orange make up picture) you see how I find sad that one can advertise something that can easily be perceived ridiculous because of being so extreme, yet talk so much smack on longer hair than BSL. Makes absolutely no sense, and it's just bashing for the sake of bashing, really, like my over the top comment above.

I do not like orange lipstick, that's for sure, but some people do. Calling me cultist for my long hair is same as me calling someone an oompa loompa for it's orange lips stick. Or cultist, like my comment.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just tired of the whole fashion industry labeling me! Now I'm off to make some Kool Aid... :stirpot:

buttercupmcgee
April 3rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
Speaking as someone who loves fashion magazines, they are to be taken with a huge bucket of salt. Especially Allure, it is essentially a 200 page advertisement--all editorials based on selling you things you don't need.

That, and all of the one-size fits all advice. If I have to read one more article about self-tanner being a necessity in life....

Anyway, they are dumb. My motto is, let the pretty pictures inspire me on the commute home, and move on.

skaempfer
April 3rd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah. 'specially love the bit about bouncy pony tails. 'Cause that's my main goal in life, to be bouncy for the entertainment of others.

Basically, this article is good news because it means the jacka$$ who wrote it won't find me attractive. What a relief!

Unofficial_Rose
April 3rd, 2012, 02:40 PM
I liked the one about asking the name of your cult leader. :lol:

ladylowtide
April 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
Its stuff like this that make me committed to growing my hair to an absurd length. If people keep ragging on super long hair, or if pixie cuts get super popular, I am totally gonna grow to knee. I am just tired of looking like all the other automatons, or perhaps I am just far to motivated to so something when someone tells me not to! :cheese:

Quixii
April 3rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
What a stupid article.
I've gotten plenty of comments that implies otherwise...

MasCat
April 3rd, 2012, 02:48 PM
And now let's all join hands and chant "We are not a sect! We are not a sect! We are not a sect!" interlacer with "Hairy rama, hair hair, hairy BBB" :D :D :D

Rosethorn
April 3rd, 2012, 02:52 PM
There's a lot of cult members here.

lapushka
April 3rd, 2012, 03:39 PM
The thing is so ridiculous I laughed! :lol:

Nedertane
April 3rd, 2012, 04:15 PM
"You look at home in Paris"

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?!

Pheh. And I like how they say long hair is a result of "neglect". I know some people (no one on here! ;)) might not take care of their long hair, but c'mon. Usually people achieve very long lengths because the TAKE CARE of their hair. Guh. This is why I buy science magazines.

Hollyfire3
April 3rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
Mousebrained article! really?! I LOVE long hair and will LOVE my long hair even more when it DOES softly tent my body! Oh. the nerve, they only write this phyco babble because they damage thier hair too much and don't have the patience to grow it out to such lengths.....just, wow.

Pinkster8
April 3rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
That article irritated me beyond belief! I think it may be jealousy, considering that fashion mags generally advocate coloring, heat and horrific things like teasing. I want to tell the writer: just because you can't grow nice hair without ruining it doesn't mean you should bash it! :(

1nuitblanche
April 3rd, 2012, 05:36 PM
Oh dear. It made me laugh though!

holothuroidea
April 3rd, 2012, 05:45 PM
I personally don't think magazine articles like that have anything to do with fashion- just promoting the woman/body shame/insecurity that sells the products they advertise. The implication is that your hair is only good enough if it meets certain criteria set up by someone other than the owner of the hair, which doesn't make any actual sense. The criteria is arbitrary, but the message is loud and clear.

Also I like orange lipstick and I think that photo leslissocool posted is beautiful. :p

ladycaladium
April 3rd, 2012, 05:47 PM
I personally don't think magazine articles like that have anything to do with fashion- just promoting the woman/body shame/insecurity that sells the products they advertise. The implication is that your hair is only good enough if it meets certain criteria set up by someone other than the owner of the hair, which doesn't make any actual sense. The criteria is arbitrary, but the message is loud and clear.

Also I like orange lipstick and I think that photo leslissocool posted is beautiful. :p

I actually really like the orange lipstick look...I once did just the eyeshadow and it was a fun look.

holothuroidea
April 3rd, 2012, 05:52 PM
I actually really like the orange lipstick look...I once did just the eyeshadow and it was a fun look.

I used to wear it when I was a teenager. I actually look pretty good with orange lipstick.

Also, I used to color orange streaks in my hair. :D

hairgoals
April 3rd, 2012, 05:56 PM

hairgoals
April 3rd, 2012, 05:59 PM

Sillage
April 3rd, 2012, 06:05 PM
let us not forget a very large amount of high fashion is run by many gay males.

http://i.imgur.com/MjLzP.gif

spidermom
April 3rd, 2012, 06:12 PM
Are we any better? Allure fans are over there snickering away about people who foolishly want extra-long hair, and we're over here snickering away about people who don't.

Mrsbaybeegurl
April 3rd, 2012, 06:21 PM
Well whether we like it or not Barbie seems to be pretty iconic for beauty standards of our culture and last time I checked most Barbie dolls have long hair, many are at classic level...she kind of sets the bar on beauty so take that:luke:(to the not so nice person who wrote that!)

LOL in all seriousness though, I really feel it's unfair to tell someone what is and isn't sexy, especially when you are talking about something as femininely beautiful as long hair. Did hips and boobs go out of style too? How about dresses and heels? So how does the classic beauty trait of long hair some how now look like we are in a cult or live on a prairie???

I guess considering the source, Allure, who are the same people who love to push the pixie look and consider anything that touches the shoulder long hair! The same people who encourage extensions, and beauty trends that make men run the other way. And not that I am against pixie cuts, but I know I would soooo NOT look good in one and although I have never had extra long hair or a pixie, my money is on the long hair being sexier on me.

Hollyfire3
April 3rd, 2012, 06:21 PM
Are we any better? Allure fans are over there snickering away about people who foolishly want extra-long hair, and we're over here snickering away about people who don't.

Wow, i never thought of it that way....kinda makes me feel bad for being so outraged. But, we do have opinions on things like this, most of us aren't bashing those who DON'T have long hair, we are bashing standards like these set by society against those who DO have extra-long hair, nothing wrong with that i say.

Nedertane
April 3rd, 2012, 06:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MjLzP.gif

Yeeeaaahh, gotta say I agree with you there, Sillage.

hairgoals
April 3rd, 2012, 06:31 PM

Sillage
April 3rd, 2012, 06:32 PM
What is your point?

hairgoals
April 3rd, 2012, 06:38 PM

PeacenQuietGal
April 3rd, 2012, 06:39 PM
And now let's all join hands and chant "We are not a sect! We are not a sect! We are not a sect!" interlacer with "Hairy rama, hair hair, hairy BBB"

AhhhHaaHa!! Good One!

Sillage
April 3rd, 2012, 06:47 PM
A large amount of fashion is run by gay men.

AND?

You can play dumb, but I think it's apparent to everyone that you're trotting out a particularly nasty piece of homophobia: that gay male designers hate women. Gross and uncalled for, Hairgoals. You ought to be ashamed of yourself for spouting something so hateful and harmful.

Long_hair_bear
April 3rd, 2012, 06:52 PM
How ridiculous! I'll let my husband decide wether or not I'm sexy, thanks allure.

C_Bookworm
April 3rd, 2012, 07:01 PM
What utter BS :rolleyes:

Maybe her SO looked at someone with much longer hair than hers and got her panties in a twist :p

Haha, I was so thinking that.

holothuroidea
April 3rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
I welcome this kind of blurb for who it's directed to: users of extensive extensions.

Yep. For anyone with the patience to grow healthy, long hair, this article does not apply.

So you are saying that people with extensions deserve to be bullied? :confused:

I think they added "neglect" just to be snarky. In that case, let us not forget a very large amount of high fashion is run by many gay males.

This is incredibly offensive. I hope you will reread, and reconsider your statement.

spidermom
April 3rd, 2012, 07:08 PM
Wow, i never thought of it that way....kinda makes me feel bad for being so outraged. But, we do have opinions on things like this, most of us aren't bashing those who DON'T have long hair, we are bashing standards like these set by society against those who DO have extra-long hair, nothing wrong with that i say.

You haven't seen all the threads blasting people who cut their hair after having children (like I did) or the horrifying "soccer mom" cuts?

I do agree that there's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but to blast someone for blasting someone ... weird.

holothuroidea
April 3rd, 2012, 07:09 PM

There are quite a few people on here with hair goals at BSL and above, I have never seen snickering or bullying towards them.

ETA:

You haven't seen all the threads blasting people who cut their hair after having children (like I did) or the horrifying "soccer mom" cuts?

I do agree that there's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but to blast someone for blasting someone ... weird.

I haven't seen any blasting. Maybe I haven't been here long enough. There are threads that are in support of women not cutting their hair for these arbitrary socially assigned reasons, that and the "poodle" cut that older women tend to have. I support a place that says, "You don't have to cut your hair because of X," and that's all I've ever seen.

I'm not saying you're wrong. You've been here a lot longer than I have. I just don't think we are as full of woman-hating body-shame as this blurb is.

hairgoals
April 3rd, 2012, 07:11 PM

pepperminttea
April 3rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
Articles like this are why I stopped reading magazines in my teens. My self-esteem enjoys life more without them. :p

hairgoals
April 3rd, 2012, 07:30 PM

caadam
April 3rd, 2012, 07:31 PM
Eh, forget Allure. lol Why did they write both side as polar opposites? Like, "Either you had BSL hair that's sexy, or you're hair is too long and neglected?" Oooook. It seems like there was a lot of ignorance when this was written, but I digress—Allure doesn't and won't get my money any time soon. :D

And I know I've not bullied or teased anyone with shorter hair. I've told plenty of people (I don't if on here; I can't remember, but definitely IRL) that I think shorter hair looks great on certain people, just as long hair looks great on others. Though, I can be a little impartial in thinking long hair would look great on MOST people. lol But if someone wants to rock a pixie, then go for it. I love a cute pixie cut. ♥

Sillage
April 3rd, 2012, 07:34 PM
The fact is, gay men run fashion because they are able to keep up with the demands of inventing or furthering new trends twice a year.

Can you please stop with your homophobia and stereotyping. Gay men do not have some magic gene that makes them good at fashion. Just like Asians don't have a magic gene that makes them good at math.

I don't really care though, because what I wrote was never meant to be homophobic. I have never heard of your point before, that gay men in fashion hate women. That one is new to me.

You know exactly what you were implying otherwise you wouldn't have singled out gay men. :rolleyes:

spidermom
April 3rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
I think I'm in a bad mood today, holothuroidea.
But there really has been no shortage of LHC members making snarky comments about soccer mom cuts and old lady poodle perms and hair stylists and .... gay fashion designers. I mean - really! Can't we all just live and let live?

Sillage
April 3rd, 2012, 07:39 PM
I am around "fashion fags"

I think that's about enough from you.

I don't know how to explain myself because I guess you just have to know them or work in the industry. I'm guessing you and Sillage don't.

And you'd be dead wrong.

holothuroidea
April 3rd, 2012, 07:43 PM
I think I'm in a bad mood today, holothuroidea.
But there really has been no shortage of LHC members making snarky comments about soccer mom cuts and old lady poodle perms and hair stylists and .... gay fashion designers. I mean - really! Can't we all just live and let live?

:grouphug:

I do know what you mean. Sometimes when you're working against the social norms it's hard to remember that other people who choose to follow them are not lesser for their choice. I have noticed some of that here, but we are a large group of individuals and the vast majority of us don't do that and mostly the intent is good. :)

hairgoals
April 3rd, 2012, 07:46 PM

hairgoals
April 3rd, 2012, 07:48 PM

holothuroidea
April 3rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Bullied? What? I think the allure blurb is trying to stop the use of extensive extensions. Maybe you are not up-to-date on current trends, but a lot of young women use them who don't need it.

Even if this blurb was just about extensions, who has the right to say whether or not the "use of extensive extensions" needs to be stopped? Is it appropriate to shame people who use them by saying they are not sexy, they look like they are in a cult, and they deserve to be the butt of jokes?

Honestly if you don't see how this is bullying I think we are reading different dictionaries.

Obviously I am coming across as offensive here which was not my intention at all. I am around "fashion fags" for a large part of my day because I work in fashion marketing. I don't know how to explain myself because I guess you just have to know them or work in the industry. I'm guessing you and Sillage don't. I'm sorry for offending any of you.

No, I don't. I do, however, live in a world where it is not okay to label an entire group of people "snarky" or "fickle" because of their sexual orientation. It is equally detrimental to label a group of people as the only ones "able to keep up with the demands of inventing or furthering new trends twice a year."

If you replaced "gay males" with any other minority group you could see how it would be offensive, right? Just because you are around "them" (are they even individuals to you, at this point?) all day doesn't give you the right to be openly prejudiced with no remorse.

hairgoals
April 3rd, 2012, 08:00 PM

holothuroidea
April 3rd, 2012, 08:07 PM
I had written a big long response to you and Sillage, the PC police, trying to explain myself. I am not homophobic, and my dears friends who work in fashion and are gay, are not offended. They are actually part of an online community called "Fashin Fags" which you may check for yourself. It is a common term which again, I'm sorry that you're offended by. I don't care to explain further.

I do not understand how your position as someone who knows a lot of gay people gives you the privilege to be prejudiced against anyone on an open forum. If what you say is true, which it very well could be and I will take you at your word, and your individual friends are OK with that language it does not mean that it is okay to use that kind of language outside of your own particular circle, where other people would find your remarks homophobic and prejudiced.

Also, PC police, me!? <<<<< :D

Oh yeah, I'm the most politically correct person there ever was!! :rollin: Ah, I guess you don't know me, though. :flower: I'm just standing up for what I believe... fair and equitable treatment of all people without prejudice.

caadam
April 3rd, 2012, 08:08 PM
Maybe the best thing would've been to ask hairgoals to clarify herself right from the get go instead of assuming? Just me. Things could've gone a bit smoother instead of all this drama. I guess it's too late now, but meh... lol

Anyway... doesn't homophobia mean to have an intense and unreasoning hatred/fear of homosexuals? Even though her comment is about gay men, I don't see anything homophobic about it, just specific. I honestly think that word is used too lightly. I wouldn't call anyone a homophobe until they show an obvious hatred or fear of homosexuals. And even if someone were to say something questionable and potentially offensive towards the gay community, I wouldn't get all gung ho about it. I think such a situation can be settled in a more civilized manner through questions and controlled discussion, not going back and forth with backhanded comments. Sorry, but that's what's going on here. :/ I honestly think this could've all gone about and ended more peacefully.

BTW... I got two slices of cheesecake for my birthday! :cheese: My birthday isn't until the 13th, but I'm not complaining. lol :D

Kyla
April 3rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
I had written a big long response to you and Sillage, the PC police, trying to explain myself. I am not homophobic, and my dears friends who work in fashion and are gay, are not offended. They are actually part of an online community called "Fashin Fags" which you may check for yourself. It is a common term which again, I'm sorry that you're offended by. I don't care to explain further.

I'm sorry for continuing to drag this out...but I think the major problem here is that your first comment, that much of the fashion world is run by gay men, is the problem because by saying that it insinuates that disgust of long hair (especially the disgust present in the article) is somehow gay men's fault as a whole. I may have missed this, but is it possible you meant something completely different and that the explanation somehow slipped everyone by? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, since you already said you don't care to discuss this issue further.

One more thing though, I feel I should mention that just because your group of friends are okay with a often considered derogatory term, that does not mean everyone is, especially everyone that considers themselves gay. It's kind of like how someone decided to use the "n" word in front of an African-American friend, and that friend did not care in the least and also used the word to describe themselves. That does not make it okay for the person to start using it in front of everyone, as it would still be considered offensive by many many people.

Sillage
April 3rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
Anyway... doesn't homophobia mean to have an intense and unreasoning hatred/fear of homosexuals?

Prejudice is hatred.

caadam
April 3rd, 2012, 08:15 PM
Prejudice is hatred.

I understand what prejudice means, but her personal feelings are not prejudice to her. Doesn't that count for something? I would think so.

coastalnicole
April 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
I don't think that gay men's disproportionately large presence in the fashion world has much if anything to do with that article.

It was an article to pick a woman apart so that she'll feel like she can't make decisions about her appearance without spending money on magazines and makeup and haircuts and clothes that do nothing but take away from funds she could be spending on an education or art supplies or her children or a savings account or any other number of things that would truly empower or enrich her life.

Sillage
April 3rd, 2012, 08:19 PM
In my opinion, no. Too often I hear homophobia, racism, and misogyny excused with "but I didn't mean that way." No matter what the intent, the hurt is still the same.

Lipbalmbabe
April 3rd, 2012, 08:24 PM
Very good point

holothuroidea
April 3rd, 2012, 08:28 PM
I understand what prejudice means, but her personal feelings are not prejudice to her. Doesn't that count for something? I would think so.

It counts for something, for her. Not for people who might be hurt by her comments.

And for the record, positive prejudice (gay male= good at fashion, asian=good at math, black=good at dancing) is still hurtful on an individual basis, since there is no actual reason for a gay individual to be good at or even interested in fashion any individual who does not fit that role suffers as long as the stereotype is perpetuated and encouraged as it has been here.

Also I don't think anyone here has been uncivilized. Strong words and strong emotions do not a barbarian make. :flower:

caadam
April 3rd, 2012, 08:29 PM
In my opinion, no. Too often I hear homophobia, racism, and misogyny excused with "but I didn't mean that way." No matter what the intent, the hurt is still the same.

So... her feelings don't count because she offended you? So that somehow gives others the freedom to shove her into a corner and verbally attack her into submission without asking what she was actually trying to express beforehand?

Wow... all right.

She DID say sorry, you know, and she obviously does care for the gay community because she has gay friends. I mean, I get being offended by what she said (I wasn't personally offended by it, but I can see where others would be), but still... to ignore the offender's feelings, even after they give an apology, because they offended you seems rather unforgiving and hateful in return. What does that solve? Nothing, I think.

Well... I digress on it. I gotta do some other stuff and really don't want to get too mixed up in this more than I've allowed myself to be. Have a good night. :)

caadam
April 3rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
It counts for something, for her. Not for people who might be hurt by her comments.

And for the record, positive prejudice (gay male= good at fashion, asian=good at math, black=good at dancing) is still hurtful on an individual basis, since there is no actual reason for a gay individual to be good at or even interested in fashion any individual who does not fit that role suffers as long as the stereotype is perpetuated and encouraged as it has been here.

Also I don't think anyone here has been uncivilized. Strong words and strong emotions do not a barbarian make. :flower:

Perhaps not uncivilized, but it was getting close. lol

And as I said, I digress. I still think the conversation could've been less dramatic than it was.

Sillage
April 3rd, 2012, 08:36 PM
So... her feelings don't count because she offended you?

Her feelings don't count when it comes to minimizing the hurt her homophobic statements cause. I never said her feelings don't count period.

So that somehow gives others the freedom to shove her into a corner and verbally attack her into submission without asking what she was actually trying to express beforehand?

I'm taking a stand against homophobia. If she feels verbally attacked that's too bad. I felt verbally attacked when she made nasty insinuations about gay people and used the word f*g.

She DID say sorry, you know,

Saying "sorry you were offended" is not the same as apologizing.

Maelyssa
April 3rd, 2012, 08:44 PM
Completely tacky article....really lame job of Allure.

my2cats1
April 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
Allure contradicts itself in this article...they have ads and feature articles with celebs with waist long hair (I'm thinking the Kardashians here).

I am waiting for a positive, empowering natural beauty magazine to be published. I'd buy it!

holothuroidea
April 3rd, 2012, 09:04 PM
Allure contradicts itself in this article...they have ads and feature articles with celebs with waist long hair (I'm thinking the Kardashians here).

I am waiting for a positive, empowering natural beauty magazine to be published. I'd buy it!

I've been thinking about that for a long time. Or starting a blog. :hmm:

jacqueline101
April 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
I don't pay any attention.

Darkessa
April 3rd, 2012, 09:19 PM
That is just insulting.
Who are THEY to say was is "sexy" or "beautiful"??

Everyone is different, everyone has different opinions on what is attractive.
Get used to it and stop trying to control the way people think.

turtlelover
April 3rd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Some of the sexiest people that I have ever met have had longer than BSL length hair. This is so utterly ridiculous!

Charlotte:)
April 3rd, 2012, 10:40 PM
If long hair is so unsexy, then why do guys never seem to want their girlfriends to cut their hair?? Silly magazine people... :)

skaempfer
April 3rd, 2012, 11:44 PM

I think this is pretty accurate. Thay make money by selling their magazine as a tome that lays down the laws of how to be acceptable. Give them six months or a year, and they will probably run an article saying the opposite- and it will sell copy, because it will be something new.

I enjoyed a bob for years, with no regrets. I don't object to short hair and never have, I object to the constant stream of 'this is ok, this isn't' messages for dressing, eating, musical tastes, etc. And the word bouncy. I still object to the word bouncy. It sounds so... Frivolous... But I would still defend anyone's right to be bouncy.

AnqeIicDemise
April 4th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I've been thinking about that for a long time. Or starting a blog. :hmm:

Let us start a blog community for this! Seriously, I'm so tired of the hate.

As far as Allure is concerned, it has a love-hate relationship with long hair. I read an article just last week talking about how this woman wanted her long, young, youthful hair again and her quest to find it. So she paid an arm a leg to see a trichtologist and some other person from the redkin salon, had her scalp exfoliated and all for this youthful bounce.

I kept slapping my forehead at every other sentence going "Its all your heat styling, over washing and lack of proper care." or "D'oh!"

MeowScat
April 4th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Thanks, Allure for informing us about how un-sexy we are. Good thing we have experts like them putting us in our place! Haha!

Looks like I'll be getting unsexier (a new word?) over the next few years because my hair hasn't reached TB yet (Gasp! The horror!)

Put that cheese in your pipe and smoke it, Allure! Ha!
:cheese:

Mayflower
April 4th, 2012, 05:47 AM
It surprises me that everybody takes this article so seriously and are offended by it:p. I think it's funny. It made me laugh. And I have longer hair than BSL.

MonaMayfair
April 4th, 2012, 07:19 AM

This is what fashion and beauty magazines do (and I don't read them unless I'm really bored in the dentist's waiting room etc, because they're mostly total nonsense)

They contradict themselves at every turn, for example an article on one page telling readers that "natural" is the look for this season, followed by an article 3 pages later saying that red lipstick and heavy eyeliner is the only way to go.

They ALL do this - surely no-one with the slightest intelligence takes anything they say seriously...

As to the hair thing, I thought it was quite funny personally. it's only one opinion. We can't all have the same tastes in beauty or anything else.

Wavelength
April 4th, 2012, 08:09 AM

Right, because the celebs are spending vast amounts of money on product and extensions to get that look, which keeps stylists and hair product manufacturers in business. See, here's how it works:

If you can get the look naturally, it's tacky, lame, and unsexy.

If you spend ridiculous amounts of money to get the look, then it's trendy, edgy, and hot.

See? It's perfectly consistent! :rolleyes:

mzBANGBANG
April 4th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Well, on the one hand at least it is talking girls out of wasting their money on extensions. On the other hand, whatever happened to just being happy with who you are?

Magazine motto: Must sell ad space! Must sell our products! Must persuade people to damage hair so that they need more product!

Hollyfire3
April 4th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Maybe the best thing would've been to ask hairgoals to clarify herself right from the get go instead of assuming? Just me. Things could've gone a bit smoother instead of all this drama. I guess it's too late now, but meh... lol

Anyway... doesn't homophobia mean to have an intense and unreasoning hatred/fear of homosexuals? Even though her comment is about gay men, I don't see anything homophobic about it, just specific. I honestly think that word is used too lightly. I wouldn't call anyone a homophobe until they show an obvious hatred or fear of homosexuals. And even if someone were to say something questionable and potentially offensive towards the gay community, I wouldn't get all gung ho about it. I think such a situation can be settled in a more civilized manner through questions and controlled discussion, not going back and forth with backhanded comments. Sorry, but that's what's going on here. :/ I honestly think this could've all gone about and ended more peacefully.

BTW... I got two slices of cheesecake for my birthday! :cheese: My birthday isn't until the 13th, but I'm not complaining. lol :D

I feel bad for hairgoals, i think he/she is now banned, wow....i know i'm not involved but i reading this today and feel bad that she was assumed to think a certain way without even being asked to clarify herself....the people who argued with her are wrong too for assuming.

Hollyfire3
April 4th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Long hair, unsexy? What about celeberties with long, non-extentions hair, Piper on Charmed (i KNOW i'm obssesed, but her hair is LONG and beautiful) Megan Fox? Just wow that article is wrong.....

XcaliburGirl
April 4th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I feel bad for hairgoals, i think he/she is now banned, wow....i know i'm not involved but i reading this today and feel bad that she was assumed to think a certain way without even being asked to clarify herself....the people who argued with her are wrong too for assuming.
I'm late to this one, but I think extensive editing of posts after the fact is against the forum rules, so that's probably the reason for the ban.

Hollyfire3
April 4th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I'm late to this one, but I think extensive editing of posts after the fact is against the forum rules, so that's probably the reason for the ban.

Oh, i didn't know that, thank you for clarifying:)
wonder why that rule is?

holothuroidea
April 4th, 2012, 09:41 AM

Just to clear my conscience, my first response to her was asking her to reconsider her comment because it was offensive. I think that was the opportunity clarify herself you are talking about. She chose to clarify herself by insisting that her prejudice was justified, and while she did apologize for it causing offense she did not seem to understand why it was offensive.

Sillage's first response was the Oprah gif. Nobody outright attacked her for no reason.

I don't think she meant to hurt anyone. I hope she learned why what she said was hurtful so she doesn't hurt others in the future.

As far as her being banned, she deleted a lot of posts in their entirety and on her profile asked to for it to be deleted. I did send her a PM before she was banned, telling her that I hoped she would be able to come back and I'm sad to see that she was permanently banned but the mods know best.

Sillage
April 4th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I feel bad for hairgoals, i think he/she is now banned, wow....

I feel bad for anyone gay reading this thread. I am seriously SMH at some of you who think this is no big deal. Prejudice is wrong and needs to be called out.

AnqeIicDemise
April 24th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Okay, I finally got my hands on this mag and I can sort of see where they're coming from, based on the terrible picture of Lindsey Lohan they were using as an example.

1) Her hair is superbly platinum, almost white.
2) she's dress in all white
3) She's got some greyish color to her complexion
4) What little color she DOES have is brown and beige, making her look even worse.
5) Lilo hasn't aged gracefully at all due to all the drug abuse, the picture wasn't photoshoped much anyway so you can see some fine lines already.
6) Her face is obscured by really, really long bangs
7) Her hair is poofed out and obscuring her tiny little frame.

So yeah.. naturally this 28 year old woman will look terribly old because of her 'long hair' but they've conveniently left it out that her make up is to blame for it too. I mean, she's all devoid of color and ashen. Even a 12 year old can look 60 if her skin is pasty grey bespeckled with brown.

The look was intentional anyway. She's been trying to look older for a particular role of some older mega star. I'll have to go looking around for the name of the starlet she wants to play in a bio pic. (No, not Liz either.)

I still find it ridiculous that long hair makes a woman look frumpy and old. ANY woman can look frumpy and old when washed out and tired.

ETA: the allure mag had a picture of Lilo was while she was vying for the role of Victoria Gotti. So not a super star, just a famous mobster wife. I'll be honest, she did a good job at looking like Gotti back then. http://static.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/lindsay-lohans-new-hair_200x293.jpg

I find it hilarious how they've taken *this* series of pictures to exemplify 'The Rapunzel Syndrome' but haven't bothered to show off the Kardashian clan, Amanda Bines or the Olson Twins whose lovely long hair still make them look quite youthful.

I'll be honest, the whole issue was a little off this month.

Lazy Loop
April 25th, 2012, 12:12 AM
When I grow up, I'd love to read this blurb, lol!
Newbie!

julliams
April 25th, 2012, 12:38 AM
It surprises me that everybody takes this article so seriously and are offended by it:p. I think it's funny. It made me laugh. And I have longer hair than BSL.

I felt the same way and (shock horror) I agree with some of it too.

xoxophelia
April 25th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Luckily I don't really want my hair to be.. sexy. If most men treated my hair like a f-t-sh I would probably cut it. :laugh:

AnqeIicDemise
April 25th, 2012, 01:08 AM
I felt the same way and (shock horror) I agree with some of it too.

It just irritated me because they chose a young, lovely looking girl at her worst and used her as an example on 'what not to do'. I mean, I know she isn't at her prime anymore-- she's partied too hard for that but she's still a very pretty young lady. To call her old because of her hair was irritable. Especially when she went out of her way to *look old* for a very specific character.

Just the whole blurb on that article was wrong. I think it was something along the lines of 'tacky things that are now cool'. 9-9

eh, my DH finds my hair sexy. Sexy does not equate ******. He just finds it superbly feminine.

julliams
April 25th, 2012, 01:39 AM
I have to be honest - I only read the blurb linked and haven't read through this whole thread. I'm sure if I saw the whole thing I would feel the same as you. I laughed at the soft body tent because sometimes that's exactly how my hair feels to me. And yes, the same magazine probably sports lots of models with hair the length of the "unsexy" column. It's just one of those silly generalisation things but for me some of it rings true.

Johanna
April 25th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Pssh, I'm sexy and I know it

*Dance*:cheese::disco::taz::cheer::happydance:

Tisiloves
April 28th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Just a small thought, but if you have long hair and want it short(er) and bouncy, surely you can just do this first style;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ASvRfQpSGA&feature=plcp

That said I just avoid these magazines because they all say I should fake tan, not a good look for me, even with dark hair. As a red head(ish) I dread to think.