PDA

View Full Version : Why do all my hairs flick at the end?

EmmaDStrange
April 3rd, 2012, 10:51 AM
So here's the biggest problem I've had with my hair to date.

I've been trying to take good care of my hair for about 4 months now after having heat and bleach damage cut out and I've pretty much stopped using heat, but I do dye black now, instead of bleaching.

So, my question is, why does the bottom of all my hairs just flick outwards? My hair itself is extremely straight but has volume, it's just the very tips of my hair that all flick, and as my hair is reasonably layered, it looks rubbish when my hair has a halo of flicky hairs all over that look like split ends but arn't.

I'm going for that sleek and straight look as my hair is always very straight and shiny, it's just these stupid flicky ends that are ruining it now! haha.

Anyone know why this occurs? Any products or processes I can use to prevent this?
Thanks guys. :)

XcaliburGirl
April 3rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
My hair does that. I think it's the layers that cause it. the longer layers curl around the shorter layers.

I'm not sure why flicks would look like split ends, though, since split ends are when the individual hairs split in half.

It probably doesn't look as bad as you think.

EmmaDStrange
April 3rd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Yes, i do think it's my layer, I can't wait for my hair to grow enough to cut them out, but it's hard to explain them really. Each individual hair licks outwards, but not all, so my hair doesn't look like it flicks out in general, I just have a halo of random hairs that flick out of the lengths of my hair and wont lie flat... haha, I find it hard to explain. But it's ever so annoying, because I end up with a bit of a frizzy split hair look. :mad:

Sillage
April 3rd, 2012, 11:07 AM
Emma, I have the same exact problem. Oils and leave ins help but don't cure it. Right now my favorite is L'oreal's EverStyle leave in cream with a shot of rose hip seed oil. If you ever find a perfect solution, let me know!

islandboo
April 3rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
I wonder if this is just a characteristic of 1b hair? I characterize my straight hair as 1b because my ends have a mild J curve, so i suppose it makes sense for my new growth to have it also. I agree that it is annoying for my hair to have a halo of little ends poking up all over but that is just the way it is (besides, better to have new growth than not!). I also find that leave-ins or light oiling does help but doesn't eliminate them.

twopoints
April 3rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
It could be the way it was cut or how it's styled. I have my ends flicking only if a put it in a bun (because of tucking the ends under). If I leave it down after I wash it, it does not flick out.

Mononoke
April 3rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
My hair does that too!
I think it happens to straight-ish hair which is very fine; The ends are not heavy enough to actually stay straight, but the rest of the hair is straight since it is pulled down by the lower parts.

Tomoyo
April 3rd, 2012, 01:22 PM
I find this happens anywhere shorter than APL in some people. When I was younger and my hair was grazing shoulder it did this 50's flicky thing, to a ridiculous degree, like this (http://the60sofficialsite.com/images/Hairstyles.jpg) (no lie!), and it took getting to APL and beyond for it to "calm down" and lay flat. I assume it was the extra weight of hair that pulled the flick straight.

barely.there
April 3rd, 2012, 02:31 PM
yeah my hair is APL but with lots of layers and essentially no split ends. since ive started using ACV and conditioner and taken out the flat iron, they have gone down, but i think a part of it has to do with humidity as well.

spidermom
April 3rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
I agree with others; there isn't much weight on the ends, so they flick. My ends do the same sometimes - flip out.

ladylowtide
April 3rd, 2012, 02:48 PM
Wow there are lot of 1b girls in this thread. I myself am 1b and am growing layers, and a bit of bleach. And I have all sorts of flipping shinanigans at the ends, you can see it in my sig pic.

pink.sara
April 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
I find this happens anywhere shorter than APL in some people. When I was younger and my hair was grazing shoulder it did this 50's flicky thing, to a ridiculous degree, like this (http://the60sofficialsite.com/images/Hairstyles.jpg) (no lie!), and it took getting to APL and beyond for it to "calm down" and lay flat. I assume it was the extra weight of hair that pulled the flick straight.

Exactly this ^

It's only now mines all blunt and APL + that it's straight again, any kind of layer and it results in Huge flicks!

GlennaGirl
April 3rd, 2012, 10:19 PM
I love my "flicks"! I feel very 60 s with them. My hair actually does this layered or unlayered, to a certain length. I miss it when it's gone - that happens, hmmm, around 21" or so, I think.

hellucy
April 4th, 2012, 05:23 AM
My hair does this but only once it gets past chin length, its currently at shoulder, the longest its been for years & is still doing it, I don't mind the flicky ends too much, what does sometimes bother me is that one side flicks out & the other will often flick under!

CarpeDM
April 4th, 2012, 05:36 AM
My ends have always done that (short hair or long hair) and my hair is pretty healthy and all one length, just one of those things I guess...

EmmaDStrange
April 4th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Haha, there do seem to be more 1b girls on this thread than I anticipated. Obviously it's just a 1b trait! I'm going to try some oils on my hair in the next few months, hopefully that will help tame my fly away hair a little bit. My hair is so frizzy and flippy these days, it looks dry but isn't. :( It's even worse when I air dry, which is what I've been doing for some months now, it's hard not to be tempted back into the loving arms of my blowfryer. :(

cfreya
April 4th, 2012, 05:52 AM
I get this, especially around the face where I have some shorter bits, when air drying one side can go in and the other flicking out, if I want them both to go in I just make sure to manipulate it, keep curling it in with my fingers whilst it's damp and if it goes the wrong way redamp it and try again

torrilin
April 4th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Yep, it's a 1b/1c thing. It's pretty common for the first wave on a 1b to start right at the nape of your neck. More conditioner and less heat damage will help the flicks be as uniform and cute as possible. Less layering also helps. Fs particularly won't care, because most of the time if we style our hair wet we can make it almost disappear. Ms might care. Cs pretty much always care.