PDA

View Full Version : Measurement question

mzBANGBANG
April 3rd, 2012, 10:27 AM
I don't have a cloth tape measurer so I usually rely on a ribbon, and compare it to a yardstick to figure out how many inches my hair has grown. Today, I tried measuring with my laptop cord (it's not bendy and falls clean) since it is weighted and I got a much bigger number than I expected.

This is kind of a question and a "Hey! I noticed this!" Do you think the weighted cord I used would be more accurate than the light ribbon? I feel slightly silly obsessing over this, but I just downloaded the excel hair chart that is trending on the mane forum, and I'd like to get a more accurate measurement just to see my results. If anyone has any measuring tips they've learned that would be helpful, too.

Thank you :flowers:

stew
April 3rd, 2012, 10:33 AM
I was wondering the same thing! I just downloaded the excel thing as well.. I don't even have a ribbon, I measure using the edge of a towel but it doesn't seem that accurate.

heidi w.
April 3rd, 2012, 11:32 AM
It's best to use a tape measure, and a second person's assistance. Start from the forehead hairline, go over the top, and down the length in back at the center (not one of the sides). That's your measurement.

And measure when your hair is dry. You may have a variance if you measure wet and later dry. (Wet hair hangs slightly longer than dry hair.)

And for curl, that has to be unfurled to measure.

This is the "official" way to measure hair.

heidi w.

darklyndsea
April 3rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
I don't know if either method is more accurate, but I think it's best to measure the same way every time. The main purpose of measuring your hair (at least to me) is to compare your length to itself at different times, and if you switch your measuring method you can't really compare the measurements from the different methods.

melusine963
April 3rd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Today, I tried measuring with my laptop cord (it's not bendy and falls clean) since it is weighted and I got a much bigger number than I expected.

I use the cord from my headphones. It works very well. :)