PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here with dreadlocks?

earthymamawitch
April 3rd, 2012, 07:44 AM
I have just dreaded up my hair again and am committed to growing it superlong. Anyone else here still locked up or contemplating it?

Jenn

littleizz
April 3rd, 2012, 07:49 AM
Ooooh! Pics!! I've never had dreads and probably never will, but I love the way well-cared-for dreads look and would TOTALLY go for it had I not chosen my current profession :D

pes3108
April 3rd, 2012, 09:56 AM
I don't have dreads but my DBF of 2 years does. He has had them the whole time we've been dating but I have really seen them mature sooo much since we first met. They are between waist and hip length right now!

Amber_Maiden
April 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM
I almost got dreads last summer and have loved the way they look for years- but I doubt all ever get them...
I want to see pics of yours!

summergreen
April 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
I totally love dreads, would love to have them but would be scared of the commitment - plus I have so much silver in my hair now, I think I'd get a lot more stares than I'd be up for. Hope you enjoy your dreads! Bet they look amazing.

littleizz
April 3rd, 2012, 11:24 AM
I totally love dreads, would love to have them but would be scared of the commitment - plus I have so much silver in my hair now, I think I'd get a lot more stares than I'd be up for. Hope you enjoy your dreads! Bet they look amazing.Silver dreads would be A-MA-ZING!!! If I were to do dreads I would do the thinner ones that you can style somewhat like regular hair, but as I understand, they're even more upkeep, and that'd definitely be intimidating to me, too. I'm a roll-out-of-bed-and-bun-it girl :)

Avital88
April 3rd, 2012, 11:32 AM
i love dreads!! but im too chicken to do it myself:-) i agree , we want pictures!

summergreen
April 3rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
Silver dreads would be A-MA-ZING!!! If I were to do dreads I would do the thinner ones that you can style somewhat like regular hair, but as I understand, they're even more upkeep, and that'd definitely be intimidating to me, too. I'm a roll-out-of-bed-and-bun-it girl :)

yep TOTALLY silver dreads probably would be amazing! Silver mixed with boring shade of brown - not so sure! Maybe in another 15 years - when Ill be more silver than brown and hopefully old enough not to care about the stares. I like the thinner ones too, and did see a lady with lovely silver and blonde thin dreads a while back...

kahuna
April 3rd, 2012, 02:21 PM
is there a way to "un-do" dreads? i'm possibly thinking about doing it. (just wanna see what it would look like)

barely.there
April 3rd, 2012, 02:24 PM
I had a friend in college who had super long and blonde dreads. what made them longer was his super long torso as he was very tall, and they went down to his behind. with his chiseled face, people thought he looked like a greek god.

littleizz
April 3rd, 2012, 02:31 PM
is there a way to "un-do" dreads? i'm possibly thinking about doing it. (just wanna see what it would look like)To my understanding, as long as the dreads are done correctly and safely for the hair itself, you can remove them with lots and lots of time and conditioner :)

spidermom
April 3rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
I admire them on others, but on me - no, never.

IndigoOptimist
April 3rd, 2012, 02:40 PM
I was going to get my hair dreaded at about 16 and even did a few myself to see what the upkeep would be like. I figered that if I didn't like taking care of three I wouldn't want to take care of a whole head! I liked that way they look in my hair, but I just don't have enough hair to do a whole head, I think it would look ridiculous :\

afu
April 3rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
i love the day they look (however my SO hates them!), if i could embrace my natural haircolour i would defo give them a try - as it is i have to have my bleach highlights refreshed and topped up every couple of months which would make dreads difficult. Also with the bleach blonde it may be hard to keep the hair from discolouring

melusine963
April 3rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
is there a way to "un-do" dreads? i'm possibly thinking about doing it. (just wanna see what it would look like)
Not sure if this helps, but here's a tutorial on how to do 'fake' dreadlocks. It looks a little time-consuming, but it might be an idea if you just want to try them for a day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-qRrqpJLw8&feature=plcp&context=C415340eVDvjVQa1PpcFNhmotDDMlw8cl6tPffqBCJ 0Mx_Rsh4ig0=

littleizz
April 3rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
Not sure if this helps, but here's a tutorial on how to do 'fake' dreadlocks. It looks a little time-consuming, but it might be an idea if you just want to try them for a day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-qRrqpJLw8&feature=plcp&context=C415340eVDvjVQa1PpcFNhmotDDMlw8cl6tPffqBCJ 0Mx_Rsh4ig0= Ooo! I used to do those in high school just playing around with my hair! I once thought about doing my whole head, but I made mine much smaller than hers - like thinner than a pencil, and it scared me to think of taking them back out :bigeyes:

summergreen
April 4th, 2012, 06:10 AM
I just don't have enough hair to do a whole head, I think it would look ridiculous :\

I think it would make your (or anyone's) hair look thicker, because all the shed hairs would stay in the dreads :) thats one of the main reasons I'd like them myself!

caadam
April 4th, 2012, 08:04 AM
I contemplated getting dreads at one point in the past, but never did and I don't think I will.

However, I LOOOOOOVE dreadlocks. ♥ I love seeing them on other people. They're awesome.

Unicorn
April 4th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Mine are in my avatar. :)

ETA: Oh! ...and in my signature doh!

Unicorn

pepperminttea
April 4th, 2012, 06:38 PM

Yes, but expect some pains along the way, and put aside a whole lot of time. Dreadfulwoman managed it, here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82330)'s a thread. :) If you just want to see what it would look like, can I suggest Photoshop or Taaz.com (http://www.taaz.com/)?

cheetahfast
April 4th, 2012, 07:33 PM
A regular customer has tailbone length dreads. They're probably actually longer since he always has them up in a ponytail. They look really nice.

Mesmerise
April 4th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I love the look of dreads, but I would never do them as I'm pretty sure they would annoy the heck outta me. I had extensions once and it was annoying enough having them attached to my scalp (and my inability to properly scrub my scalp with shampoo). I kinda like the feel of being able to brush my hair etc. as well.

But yeah... I really love the look of long, well kept dreads!!

joflakes
April 5th, 2012, 01:20 AM
I love the look of dreads, but I would never do them as I'm pretty sure they would annoy the heck outta me. I had extensions once and it was annoying enough having them attached to my scalp (and my inability to properly scrub my scalp with shampoo). I kinda like the feel of being able to brush my hair etc. as well.

Same here. I had Elysee Star machine-made dreads plaited in about....6 years ago now (wow, I feel old!). They were awesome. I had them to waist length. However they were VERY itchy and only lasted about 6 weeks I think.

Mannaz
April 5th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Well I have one petdread atm, you can see it in my signature. I've had natural dreads before (no wax or anything, just no combing :)), and it was the easiest thing ever, I really don't see what the fuss with the upkeep is. I washed them once a week and sometimes locked some loose hair into dreads,and that was it!

I did get them out but it was a pain and my hair was a wreck afterwards.

I don't know if I'm allowed to advertise other forums, but dreadlocktruth is the place I'd go to seek information if I was to dread :)

Unicorn your dreads are beautiful!

Unicorn
April 5th, 2012, 07:24 AM

I also love the feel of brushing my hair. Not brushing was the one thing I thought I'd find most difficult when I first thougth about having my hair loced. I still miss brushing, but I love having my locs even more. Washing and properly scrubbing the scalp isn't the same issue with locs that it is for extensions.

Thank you Mannaz, they're almost 6 years old now.

Unicorn

DreadfulWoman
April 5th, 2012, 09:45 AM

Hi there. :) I brushed mine out last November, but it took a lot of time and effort, and was anything but a damage free process. At best, I would say that it is possible to recover some hair from dreadlocks (meaning no one should have to go bald just to get rid of them), but I wouldn't recommend getting dreads if you're just planning to brush them out again anyway. If you just want to try them out, braided in (fake) dreads are a pretty good simulation of the look and feel of real dreadlocks, I believe.

I think it would make your (or anyone's) hair look thicker, because all the shed hairs would stay in the dreads :) thats one of the main reasons I'd like them myself!

That is a nice side effect. Back when I had my dreads, it always made me laugh when people would tell me that my dreads looked as good as they did because my hair was so thick. Yeah, I do not have thick hair. My ponytail circ. is currently 3 inches, down from 8 inches with dreadlocks. I don't think it is just the effect of holding onto shed hairs, though. Part of is that your hair is zigzagging around within the dreads rather than growing straight down, so it is a bit like having very curly hair, even if you're hair is naturally pretty straight.

I still have pictures of my dreads in my albums if anyone is interested.

pes3108
April 5th, 2012, 03:20 PM

I think a lot of it depends on how you knot them up in the first place. For example, if you use a lot of product to start them it is very unlikely that you will be able to comb them out. My boyfriend has really course hair naturally but needed some help in getting them started. He used beeswax and that helped the hair to clump together more and knot. He will probably never be able to brush them out now. here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=10112&pictureid=130243) is a link to a pic of his dreads!!!

cremenoir
April 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM
i used to have dreads! i loved them and got many compliments on them, but the upkeep was a nightmare, especially for my fine, straightish ultra-white-girl hair. i'm not a huge fan of natural dreads on straight hair, they turn into a rat's nest. so for me to keep them looking up to my standards took a lot of work. also they get really heavy and bulky and it's like sleeping on a pile of rope.

as far as being able to remove them... mature dreads are not likely to come out with all the combing and conditioner in the world. they can be cut short and the nubs combed out (that's what i did when i got rid of mine) but newer dreads that haven't fully locked should be able to be removed if you were to change your mind right away.

i cut my dreads about 4 years ago, and have had short hair ever since. loved it for a long time, but now i'm on the journey to grow my length back, hence LHC :)

DreadfulWoman
April 5th, 2012, 07:02 PM
i used to have dreads! i loved them and got many compliments on them, but the upkeep was a nightmare, especially for my fine, straightish ultra-white-girl hair. i'm not a huge fan of natural dreads on straight hair, they turn into a rat's nest. so for me to keep them looking up to my standards took a lot of work. also they get really heavy and bulky and it's like sleeping on a pile of rope.

as far as being able to remove them... mature dreads are not likely to come out with all the combing and conditioner in the world. they can be cut short and the nubs combed out (that's what i did when i got rid of mine) but newer dreads that haven't fully locked should be able to be removed if you were to change your mind right away.

i cut my dreads about 4 years ago, and have had short hair ever since. loved it for a long time, but now i'm on the journey to grow my length back, hence LHC :)

Hmm, well my dreads were 8 years old when I brushed them out, so it can be done, just not very quickly or easily. :p

Desdesdes
April 5th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I'm locked :)

I brush my locks with a soft bb brush.

RoseOfClare
April 5th, 2012, 09:41 PM

Ive undone a friends dreds before........ I took a lot of patience, coconut oil and time

ladyfitzgerald
April 5th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Ive undone a friends dreds before........ I took a lot of patience, coconut oil and time

So this may be a weird question, but what is the process behind making dreds?

Desdesdes
April 6th, 2012, 05:54 AM
So this may be a weird question, but what is the process behind making dreds?

I think a lot depends on your hair texture and the finished outcome you desire. Everyones hair will lock, given enough time and lack of combing and brushing. If you have curly, or coarser textured hair just twisting the hair and palm rolling will take you far. Straighter gestures may need to do some backcombing or interlocking to get their hair going.

pes3108 - Your boyfriend's hair is fabulous!

Fethenwen
April 6th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I'm again getting dread fever :D

Especially since I saw this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8l6Qj1OtY0

I really think this sort of dreads would suit me, sort of piecey and not that tight. She seems to have the same hair texture as I'm having too.
I guess it would take some maintenance in case my dreads would start knotting too tight too soon, I would have to open them up and separate them from time to time.

Ooooh, the only thing holding me back now is that my boyfriend really does not like the look of dreads :(

cremenoir
April 6th, 2012, 11:45 AM
i think the reason mine were so stubborn and impossible to comb out was because the majority of my hair was super super damaged and like nasty velcro! because of this, they locked very quickly at the beginning, so it was actually helpful at first. i knew all the damaged hair was going to end up coming off once i got rid of my dreads. but actually, all the hair that was healthy/had grown in while i had the dreads was able to be salvaged. i think the health of your makes all the difference in whether or not you will be able to comb out your dreads if you choose to do it. oh and also your level of patience of course :)

Othala
April 7th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I love this lady's beautiful 19 feet long locs. They are truly wondrous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzYaFhZD5s0