PDA

View Full Version : Henna Application Time

Maelyssa
April 3rd, 2012, 07:18 AM
For those of you who've done henna applications for different lengths f time I was wondering if you've noticed a significant difference in the tone of color you get as a final result.
My Jamila gives me a great soft red color in most lights and a vivid cooper in bright light for the first week and a half after initial application then seems to fade to look more bronze in most lights and a super soft red in other lights.
I'm NOT digging the bronze effect at all. I'm wondering if leaving the henna on longer may result in a significant difference where it doesn't fade so much lighter.
Anyone have any experience with this? I've also thought of trying Raj nut don't want to go to red/burgandy so I'm leary of trying it.

Shatam1
April 3rd, 2012, 07:49 AM
I am using Jamila as well now because my hair did go way too dark with Yemeni henna. My starting color is strawberry blond and lots of grey. I leave it on for a max of three hours. Once I left it for over four hours but didn't notice any difference. It does give me a softer red and I love it much better than the harsh burgundy of Yemen henna. Now I only doo root applications. How long do you leave it on for??
Oh, one more important thing is your mix .. I mix it with hot but not boiling chamomile tea and apply within an hour of mixing. It releases dye almost instantly. Hope this is helpful:)

Maelyssa
April 3rd, 2012, 07:55 AM
I'm using chamomile tea too but it's more like half way to boiling temp then I've been letting it sit for a few hours...maybe too long?
I then put it on my hair for 2.5 hours.

Shatam1
April 3rd, 2012, 08:35 AM
With Jamila this is fine, as long as the tea is not hot. You can also freeze the rest of thenmixed henna and use it later. It will give you more color. I usually miss the whole box, use some then freeze the rest. It is always better frozen and thawed. I use jamila for hair from local Indian store and not the fancy one.

Amethyste
April 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM
in my avatar (or in my album) the color you see was achieved with Red Raj. I leave it on my hair for 2.5 hours and i mix it with cranberry tea = 3 drops of lemongrass EO. I let it rest on top of my pellet stove for about 1 hour. When ready, I then add a 1/4 cup of conditioner and slap it on my head. The henna does fade on my hair, so when i see my roots coming in ( about 10 days I have a good amount already!) the color has already faded. I do full head applications, and to this day, the color didn't really darkened to burgundy. Everyone's hair is so different so it makes it hard to predict what the intake could be on YOUR hair...

Amethyste
April 3rd, 2012, 10:43 AM
Do you test your henna for dye release before you apply? I read many places that you want to wait for a bright/strong stain on your wrist and then apply to your hair. See, I'd rather achieve a light stain first, then apply to my hair, so it can do it's release while on!

Maelyssa
April 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Perhaps it's just my hair then. I'd never think that beautiful bright red fades at all on you but apparently I'm not the only person it fades for.
I normally apply my henna after it gives a light stain on the back of my arm.
Maybe I just need to henna every 14 or 21 days then.
Unless I find another solution.
I'm just not sure then if I should mix cassia in so I dont end up too dark....hmmm....

Amethyste
April 3rd, 2012, 08:42 PM
Perhaps it's just my hair then. I'd never think that beautiful bright red fades at all on you but apparently I'm not the only person it fades for.
I normally apply my henna after it gives a light stain on the back of my arm.
Maybe I just need to henna every 14 or 21 days then.
Unless I find another solution.
I'm just not sure then if I should mix cassia in so I dont end up too dark....hmmm....

it fades on me, like you Maelyssa. I've been doing full head application and it didn't darken. I think I don't leave it very long, that might be why it fades? at least, i get to re-apply and it doesn't build up. My hair is weird I guess lol :o

Pierre
April 5th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I do roots and leave it on overnight, and I don't notice any fading. But I'm not that sensitive to shades.

ETA: I do notice some fading on my fingernails, but it's probably just wear.