View Full Version : Do you braid before bunning?

Vanilla
April 2nd, 2012, 01:45 PM
Do you braid your hair prior to bunning?

I sometimes do, it depends on the bun.

Which buns do you like braided?

I like the braided Chinese bun, braided lazy wrap bun and braided cinnabun.

CharleaMurphy
April 2nd, 2012, 01:57 PM
I was forced to vote for the cheese option, I'm afraid.
My chin-length layers make me unable to bun/braid easily. :(
Don't worry, I'm working on making them grow.

Springgrl
April 2nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
I put always braid before a bun, because I feel like it protects my hair better and it is easier to hold up with a stick. I have just started wearing my hair up though, so I might change my mind later :)

Amber_Maiden
April 2nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
I like my hair unbraided in a bun!

Rhodugune
April 2nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
I mostly have my hair in different unbraided buns, but I do like the chinese bun. :)

Vanilla
April 2nd, 2012, 02:09 PM
I put always braid before a bun, because I feel like it protects my hair better and it is easier to hold up with a stick. I have just started wearing my hair up though, so I might change my mind later :)

I may have to try sticks again with a braided updo. I can't seem to get them to stay in my hair if it's loose in an updo.

MinderMutsig
April 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
My hair is not even close to being long enough for a braided bun so I never braid it before bunning. Can't wait until I'll be able to do that though. It sounds so amazingly lazy! Right up my alley. Brush in the morning, braid, bun, in the evening let the braid down for bed without having to detangle or brush it, repeat in the morning.

NymphSpirit
April 2nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
I chose the cheese option because I can't make it work, I'd love to do a braided bun, but each time I try it ends up looking horrible and messy (not a good messy)

`l)rea
April 2nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
When I take the time to put it in a pretty bun, I usually do a Chinese bun.

racrane
April 2nd, 2012, 05:07 PM
If I do a braided bun, it looks so tiny... but one day I am planning to use it regularly. :)

Laylah
April 2nd, 2012, 05:13 PM
I prefer braided buns because they hold better for me but there are plenty of times I don't braid. After I condition when I wash my hair I put it up in a quick braidless bun with a chopstick (because they don't break... the last of my hairsticks broke long ago :(). Or, when I leave my hair down but it's windy out. But for intentionally all-day buns, which I don't do often, I prefer braided.

pepperminttea
April 2nd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Sometimes; it's more likely the further I am from wash day and I don't want my hair to be loose if I need to redo the bun. The braided nautilus is my go-to for a braided bun. :)

Springgrl
April 2nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
I may have to try sticks again with a braided updo. I can't seem to get them to stay in my hair if it's loose in an updo.

Yes, same here! I also get headaches much worse when it is loose in an up-do with sticks. I also don't like supplementing with bobby pins... they give me headaches as well. I usually need bobby pins when it is loose in an up-do. I am headache prone I suppose!

TheMechaGinger
April 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM
My hair is still a little on the short side at apl so braiding before bunning gives my buns a weird shape

Vanilla
April 2nd, 2012, 08:18 PM
I'm loving all the cheese replies :)

It seems like a lot of you ladies with longer lengths prefer to braid then bun.

PrincessIdril
April 3rd, 2012, 02:21 PM
Sometimes I do. Normally I just bun my lose hair as I don't really like how braided buns look on me.

But if I have a fencing match I usually do a braided bun as having to shove my hair down the back of my jacket is uncomfortable and it usually gets caught on the velcro at the collar :(. Now if I could just stop the pins getting caught on my mask everything would be perfect...

Venefica
April 3rd, 2012, 07:39 PM
That depends on what sort of bun I am making. I do like braided buns, especially the braided Chinese bun, but I do bun styles which do not require braiding as well, so it depends completely on the bun I am planning on doing that day.

Malibu Barbie
April 3rd, 2012, 09:14 PM
I find its easier for me if I braid it first. I'm kind of bun challenged.

Bedhead
April 3rd, 2012, 09:21 PM
If I'm not in the mood to be distracted by a potentially falling bun I do a braided one, but I alternate between the four simple buns (that I know of) I can actually do with my length, or I go through phases of only wanting to do one bun for days in a row. My avatar is braided. :)

Loreley
April 7th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I rarely braid it before putting it up but I prefer it unbraided.

Madora
April 7th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I always braid before bunning. I prefer a sectioned double braided bun.

Firefly
April 7th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Nope, I always bun un-braided.

RitaPG
April 7th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I sometimes braid before I put my hair in a bun.
I know I should do it more often but I like wearing my hair down and only bun it for practical reasons, I sometimes let my hair loose and bun it several times during the day.

torrilin
April 7th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I don't usually do braided buns because my hair is too short to do an easy braid and bun combo of the uber-lazy variety. I'd need around another foot of braid length.

I can sort of fake a braided nautilus, but it has visible hair tie. The only really good looking braided bun I can do is one where twin braids are wrapped around each other in a figure 8 style.

MissCoco
April 7th, 2012, 06:48 PM
I voted the second option, even though 90% of the time, I bun un-braided. I think I'll do braided buns when my hair reaches around hip length, like I did before cutting my hair two years ago, since it becomes easier to do so at that length.

Sheryl
April 8th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Sometimes. I bun it occasionally to curl it. I don't braid it then. It does stay better if braided first so I will braid first if going to work.

MoonlightShadow
April 9th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I always put it in 4 braids then I put it in a bun :)

melusine963
April 15th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I find my buns hold much better with spin pins when they're not braided, so unless a style specifically calls for it and I have a lot of bobby pins at hand I don't do it. That said, I made a very successful vortex rope braid bun the other day that stayed put quite happily.