PDA

View Full Version : mixing oils with cones serum to create a "healty" anti frizz serum

sashinka22
April 2nd, 2012, 11:12 AM
i'm a cone head, my hair can't live without the cone products and serums, i have here a pure silicone serum [ it is the only ingredient] which i used for some time..
if i put oils on my head it's a little too heavy and look greasy so i like mixing it with the cones anti frizz serums, then it goes perfect.

it is a good idea to make a hair serum of 50% cones regular serum and 50% natural oils and EO ? i can make great mixes with coconut, almond, avocado, jojoba oil, and shea and cocoa butter.
my hair likes it!

jacqueline101
April 2nd, 2012, 11:56 AM
My hair likes oils lightly misted daily. Have you tried that use your oils diluted with water. Olive oil I've never tried.

RitaPG
April 2nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
A lot of serums are made both with silicones and oils (Schwarzkopf for example) so if your hair feels nice with it, feel free to mix your own products :)

BrightEyes
April 2nd, 2012, 12:32 PM
I think that sounds like a great idea:) My two favorite serums are a mixture of cones and oils. They give me amazing shine and softness without being too heavy.

HintOfMint
April 2nd, 2012, 12:34 PM
It's a worthy experiment, I think. Let us know the results!

I routinely mix various products to get the finish I want. Keep in mind though that oils and serums are supposed to do essentially the same thing: smooth the hair cuticle, seal moisture in, and keep moisture out. The differences is just how each works with the individual's hair. There's always a person who finds that olive oil, coconut oil, silicone serums, shea butter... etc. makes their hair crunchy and built up or awesome and silky. So, neither oils nor serums are inherently more "healthy" for your hair. It's just about getting a decent finish on your hair and perhaps preventing tangles.

Some say that coconut oil penetrates, but that is only on freshly clarified hair without conditioner and many people use coconut oil after washing and conditioning, so it's basically being used as any other oil.

I hope you find a mix you like, and of course, tell us all about it!

midsummernight
April 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
I was John Frieda Frizz ease fan. But I tried almond oil once and I love it. It makes my rough coarse hair smooth and soft to touch. I dont get frizz anymore but almond oil has no hold and that is the only downside. But it doesnt make my hair greasy and it has no smell. Plus its way cheaper than John Frieda serums.

sashinka22
April 2nd, 2012, 06:44 PM
I think that sounds like a great idea:) My two favorite serums are a mixture of cones and oils. They give me amazing shine and softness without being too heavy.

that is exactly the result i get from mixing cones and oils on my hand and put on hair. oils are too much "heavy" on my hair, which causes the "wet" look and reduces volume. with the serum mixed it comes out just great, shiny, silky, tangleless. my fav serum is super expensive - elixir by kerastase, 40-****in-$ !! it's amazing, and they put 4 oils in it. so this is the goal product, but less expensive. so i will be able to stop spending so much money on it. it is really amazing product.

i bought some pure silicone serum here, 4 oz for 2$. so i will make a mix and let you know :)

sashinka22
April 2nd, 2012, 06:48 PM
coconut oil is amazing, as a leave in and as a finish oil. also jojoba,
i have almond, castor and avocado, also shea butter, but any 100% natural oil becomes too heavy on my hair and put it too down. esp coconut.. so i mix..

also, if my hair likes cones, so there's shouldn't be a problem with that, right?
i used to just use the 100% silicone serum once.. and he liked it.

caiti42
April 2nd, 2012, 08:48 PM
I mix mine a little differently. After I wash I apply a small amount of coconut oil and 'turburn' my hair for about 5 mins to soak up the coconut and to get rid of excess moisture. I then apply a small amount of coney sirum (normally Chi silk infusion) before I comb through.

This method works pretty well for me and doesn't leave my hair limp or greasy.