PDA

View Full Version : "Dry" or non-sticky oil to eliminate frizz

littleizz
April 2nd, 2012, 09:42 AM
I think I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I have a frizz problem. I always thought it was more of a poof problem because of my curl, and possibly dryness/over-shampooing, etc.

I've been without shampoo for probably 6 months or more, and have been 100% without products like mousse or gel for at least 3 (it's probably been much longer, I rarely used the stuff to begin with).

My hair is curly, but the pattern loosens easily (if I braid it loosely or bun wave it) and is even less wavy now that I've henna'd. I've deep conditioned, overnight-coconut oiled, my hair is soft and feels healthy, I've trimmed, ends look great, etc., but I still can't shake this frizz halo!!! 'Cone serums always used to work great, but ever since my cone aversion I've tried using very small amounts of oil and seem to get nothing but the heavy and greasy effect.

Do any of you have an oil or other non-sealing product you use for de-frizzing?

Xandergrammy
April 2nd, 2012, 09:49 AM
I haven't tried it myself, but I've been reading here lately that a teensy bit of baby oil or mineral oil can help with frizz. I intend to try it after my next wash.

ktani
April 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Here you go, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298

Dry by the definition of not being greasy used in small amounts. It is not a drying oil, which is different.

It will not seal the hair or be heavy or sticky or leave the hair stringy, used the same way, as per reports and my experience with it too.

There is more infornation in the thread and my blog below.

brave
April 2nd, 2012, 11:40 AM
baby oil definitely killed a lot of frizz for me. I used a bunch of different oils and they didn't do a whole lot (coconut, jojoba, and Shea butter mostly) as well as different leave-ins and gels. So far baby oil had surprisingly good effects but I'm experimenting now with kinky-curly curling custard. More expensive but kills the frizz and defines the curls really well.

jacqueline101
April 2nd, 2012, 11:44 AM
I like argan oil.

door72067
April 2nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
another vote for plain old baby oil

never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought to put oil in my hair On Purpose, but LHC has shown me the way

I put 2 or 3 drops in my hand, and rub my hands together well (to spread the oil out in a super-thin layer) then gentle run my hands over my hair (being careful not to hit my scalp)

it keeps frizz and static to an absolute minimum

midsummernight
April 2nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
I LOVE almond oil. It makes my rough coarse hair so smooth and as far as I can see my hair isn't greasy with just almond oil as a leave in. I used to use john frieda frizz ease and I think almond oil so much better than that. Plus it has almost no smell. I know some people dont like some oils smell.

MinderMutsig
April 2nd, 2012, 01:36 PM
Second vote for argan oil and also a second vote for almond oil.

ktani
April 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
another vote for plain old baby oil

never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought to put oil in my hair On Purpose, but LHC has shown me the way

I put 2 or 3 drops in my hand, and rub my hands together well (to spread the oil out in a super-thin layer) then gentle run my hands over my hair (being careful not to hit my scalp)

it keeps frizz and static to an absolute minimum

Unless the baby oil fragrance is one your scalp may react to (mine is sensitive to products that my body skin can tolerate more) or your scalp is oily, if you get baby oil on your scalp it should not be an issue, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2012/03/dry-skin-dry-scalp-and-dandruff.html.

door72067
April 2nd, 2012, 01:57 PM
Unless the baby oil fragrance is one your scalp may react to (mine is sensitive to products that my body skin can tolerate more) or your scalp is oily, if you get baby oil on your scalp it should not be an issue, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2012/03/dry-skin-dry-scalp-and-dandruff.html.

if I am oiling as a deep conditioning, I go to the scalp, but for frizz control I avoid it because it seems to make my hair limp if I don't

but thanks for the info!

Bunnysaur
April 2nd, 2012, 02:45 PM
I love argan oil! It takes the frizzies away no problem.

ktani
April 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
if I am oiling as a deep conditioning, I go to the scalp, but for frizz control I avoid it because it seems to make my hair limp if I don't

but thanks for the info!

Ah, I see where you are coming from.

And you are very welcome.

Laylah
April 2nd, 2012, 04:30 PM
I tried mineral oil for a few years back but even after a few months it did nothing for the frizz around my crown. It made the normal hairs strangely greasy because it didn't soak in, even after a long time. And because it felt oily, I couldn't even put a little bit around my crown or it would be greasy until I washed it out.
Another vote for almond oil. It's a light but very effective frizz remover. In my experience, it doesn't leave hair greasy. A few moments after applying, it seems to soak in and doesn't feel oily to the touch but leaves my hair soft. In fact it's so non-greasy feeling that I can put a little bit (only a few drops) on the hair around my crown so keep the frizz down.

senegal
April 2nd, 2012, 07:01 PM
Another vote for mineral oil here. It's the only thing I've tried that helps, because it doesn't weigh down the non-frizz part of my hair. It works best for me applied on damp hair after a gentle shampoo, no conditioner. CO and an SMT didn't work well with baby oil because it made my hair feel coated, oily, and product-y. With just shampoo my hair feels very soft and natural. It's worth a try and like many others I found that the smell wasn't strong and didn't linger, so it's quite tolerable even though I don't like the "baby" smell.

littleizz
April 3rd, 2012, 06:28 AM
Thanks all! I was all excited to try the baby oil, but my hair was behaving pretty well this morning. Go figure :rolleyes: I'm a few days out from the last wash, though, so I'm sure I'll have ample opportunity to test it in the next day or so. Thanks again!

piratejenny
April 3rd, 2012, 07:44 AM
I'm a little reluctant to use oils as my hair is pretty oily to begin with but I also definitely have a frizz problem (Yes, that's possible simultaneously :( ). What I found helped was a bit of aloe vera gel applied to damp hair.

duchesswannabe
April 3rd, 2012, 09:05 AM
I haven't tried it myself, but I've been reading here lately that a teensy bit of baby oil or mineral oil can help with frizz. I intend to try it after my next wash.

On me, baby oil helps keep poufiness down when I apply it to damp hair after a wash, but for when the weather turns to rainy or windy and dry, the same old stuff happens, flyaway hair, especially the renegray hairs. When I re-apply it to the dry hair after weather changes like this, it doesn't really look right. So, yet another thing that doesn't really work for me all the time.

So far on this site I know of two people who swear by aloe vera gel. And maybe I should spring for almond oil in the future, since this thread has been getting some thumbs up for that.

As for tangle taming, I like olive oil better.

All this because I found using cones regularly gives me a coated feeling. :confused:

ktani
April 3rd, 2012, 09:33 AM
Years ago I "raided" the health food store near me for natural oils and bought several kinds to test on my hair, including almond oil. I found it to be both heavy on my fine hair and sticky, even used in very small amounts.

ETA: That is why I am so thrilled with mineral oil/baby oil. It can stand up to Toronto humidity and has with no need for reapplication between washes, no frizz, stickiness, or heaviness and gives me superb detangling, equal to catnip. ETA:2 And mineral oil is natural. If I only knew then, lol I could have saved myself a lot of money.

ETA:3 I phoned Johnson and Johnson to confirm that there is no expiry date for their baby oil. There is none on the their Original Baby Oil, I purchased and use. The product can last indefinitely. Then I phoned my pharmacist and asked why USP/BP mineral oil sold for laxative use has an expiry date. This is how it was explained to me. Over time any product can get contaminated with bacteria, depending too on how it is handled and stored. Cosmetic mineral oil does not support bacterial growth (http://www.calumetspecialty.com/pdf/articles/scopeofmineraloil.pdf) the way vegetable oils can and is very resistant to degradation. So, why the apparent contradiction? It is about liability concerning products sold for ingestion. For that use of mineral oil, manufacturers make sure they have the issue covered.

Creating and supporting: safe, innovative, effective, economical methods of hair care.

door72067
April 4th, 2012, 12:04 PM
ETA: That is why I am so thrilled with mineral oil/baby oil. It can stand up to Toronto humidity and has with no need for reapplication between washes, no frizz, stickiness, or heaviness and gives me superb detangling, equal to catnip.

I completely agree! As an added bonus, I really like the soft scent of baby oil (Johnson's in particular)