PDA

View Full Version : The ladies from Game of Thrones

thirstylocks
April 1st, 2012, 09:21 PM
Don't know if you all watch this show, but seeing as today was the season premiere, I wanted to make a post about how AMAZINGLY the ladies from Game of Thrones wear their hair!!! I can't wait to sport these hairstyles when my hair grows longer.

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/03/14/GOT-SANSA-STARK_610.jpghttp://scifimafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Game-of-Thrones-111810-Emilia-Clarke-Daenerys-Targaryen.jpg
http://www.accesshollywood.com/content/images/146/400x400bd/146658_queen-cersei-lannister-lena-heady-heads-out-to-speak-to-ned-stark-in-hbos-game-of-thrones-episode-7-.jpg
http://static.screenweek.it/2011/4/17/game-of-thrones-1x02-the-kingsroad-catelyn-tully-stark-promo-02.jpg
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/thumb/f/f5/Melisandre_GOT.jpg/300px-Melisandre_GOT.jpg

lolot
April 1st, 2012, 09:27 PM
yeah i love their hairstyles, but who is the last one? i dont recognize her, was she on season 1?

thirstylocks
April 1st, 2012, 09:40 PM
She is introduced in season 2!

stew
April 1st, 2012, 09:45 PM
So inspiring!

Tigermama
April 1st, 2012, 09:49 PM
I was just admiring them on TV.

Maelyssa
April 1st, 2012, 09:57 PM
I'm such a fan of Game of Thrones! Love, love, LOVE the hair on the series. Maybe one day I'll be able to figure out how to do some of their styles.

ladylowtide
April 1st, 2012, 10:00 PM
Ooh! I just watched the premiere, it is my first time seeing game of thrones since I joined LHC. My hair envy was off the charts. At least the blonde hair is a wig, otherwise I would have died of envy. It is nice to see some beautiful styles that maybe someday I will be able to do! :)

thirstylocks
April 1st, 2012, 10:21 PM
Oh, I LOVE the bleach blonde hair too. Its so fantastical!

sfgirl
April 1st, 2012, 11:51 PM
Speaking of hair, I was disappointed bran, rob, and rickon did not have auburn hair. :/
I mean hair is SUCH a big deal in ASOFI that I was upset they changed that.

lolot
April 2nd, 2012, 12:00 AM
i was wondering too if they all wear extensions because they all have beatiful hair

zombi
April 2nd, 2012, 12:03 AM
Gosh these pictures are amazing. That hair is just beautiful!

thirstylocks
April 2nd, 2012, 12:04 AM
Speaking of hair, I was disappointed bran, rob, and rickon did not have auburn hair. :/
I mean hair is SUCH a big deal in ASOFI that I was upset they changed that.

I expected them to have hair like Catelyn's but alas...

oktobergoud
April 2nd, 2012, 01:41 AM
i was wondering too if they all wear extensions because they all have beatiful hair

Don't want to destroy your dream but... they ALL wear wigs!

Oh except for Sansa! I think I even read they died her hair red with 'a natural deposit dye', but to me it looks really henna-ish!

Alva
April 2nd, 2012, 05:17 AM
yeah i love their hairstyles, but who is the last one? i dont recognize her, was she on season 1?

It is Carice van Houten, she's not as famous as the others yet I believe, but in the Netherlands she played many roles and is wellknown for her acting. I am very curious to see how she is doing, will watch the first episode of season 2 this evening :)

Renate
April 2nd, 2012, 05:58 AM
I LOVE Cersei's hair. She made me decide growing my hair to Waist and not just BSL :D

Also, I can't wait for my hair to grow longer so I can wear a braid over my shoulder and still looks like long hair, like Melisandre's!

That is Melisandre, she is a priestess. Like someone else said, she is introduced in season 2 :)

Amber_Maiden
April 2nd, 2012, 06:11 AM
They really do have beautiful hair, except for Emilia Clarke... her hair looks parched from the bleach.

lirael
April 2nd, 2012, 06:58 AM
Amber_Maiden, Emilia Clark's hair is definitely a wig. That was my first thought too when I saw her in Season 1- her hair doesn't look naturally white blond, it looks like it's about to fall out from all the bleaching! I'm pretty sure all the actresses with long hair are wearing wigs, or some kind of hairpieces for the updos at least. I still want to try all the styles out on my hair though!

styric
April 2nd, 2012, 09:05 AM
The white hair drove me nuts the entire time, it looks so unhealthy. Otherwise I am definitely also a victim of hair envy here

oktobergoud
April 2nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
They really do have beautiful hair, except for Emilia Clarke... her hair looks parched from the bleach.

She wears a wig, she's actually a brunette ;) A lot of people complain about Dany's hair, but I think it's totally in character.. I mean, she lives in some sort of dessert, is in the sun the whole time.. no wonder her hair looks a bit frizzy (okay fried haha)

Again, they basically all wear wigs! Only Sansa didn't.. even Arya wore a wig when she got her hair cut (but it's her real hair now in season 2)!

moon2dove
April 2nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
Can't wait for 9.00pm tonight ! Start of series 2 Yayyy!! :D :cheese:

I love the hair styles in GofT :D

fridgee
April 2nd, 2012, 12:10 PM
Can't wait for 9.00pm tonight ! Start of series 2 Yayyy!! :D :cheese:

I love the hair styles in GofT :D

Me too! I am SO EXCITED! I read all the books after seeing season 1 and rewatched season 1 once I was done and loved it even more. :cheese: I had to get DBF to keep rewinding (yeah he owns the remote! :p) to work out all the hair styles... he even started pointing them out in the end! :D

ETA:

Emilia Clarke's hair is actually beautiful IRL. On the extras its a gorgeous shiny medium brunette, it's all I could look at when she was talking! Probably shorter than BSL tho. I agree the wig is not very pretty, but I do like some of her styles. I tried one of them out, but it doesn't show up so nicely on my dark hair, the white really shows off the braids.

Melisande
April 2nd, 2012, 01:49 PM
But did you see that the older women had long hair too? That's shocking and inappropriate. Somebody should tell them to get age appropriate short layered cuts with highlights. This series might encourage over40s, over50s and over60s to grow their hair. Horrible thought. What would happen if women of a certain age get a free pass to do what they want with their hair??? :shock:

thirstylocks
April 2nd, 2012, 09:06 PM
But did you see that the older women had long hair too? That's shocking and inappropriate. Somebody should tell them to get age appropriate short layered cuts with highlights. This series might encourage over40s, over50s and over60s to grow their hair. Horrible thought. What would happen if women of a certain age get a free pass to do what they want with their hair??? :shock:

Haha...but seriously, who doesn't find older women with long hair sexy?? Lady stark is so pretty.

racrane
April 2nd, 2012, 09:10 PM
I've never watched the HBO series but I've read the books. Anyway, I love the pictures you have up. The styles fit the characters nicely. :)

lacrymosa777
April 2nd, 2012, 10:59 PM
3 out of 5 of them are wearing wigs....2 of them being terrible ones......well at least in thefirst seasonthey were.....the other two cout just be real hair.....or real hair with extenstions

lacrymosa777
April 2nd, 2012, 11:01 PM

Sarcasm right? LOL

Arya
April 3rd, 2012, 04:56 AM
does anyone have any idea how to do the King's Landing Updo?
it looks like a football shape of hair tacked on with bits wound around...I just can't figure it out.

Sillage
April 3rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
She wears a wig, she's actually a brunette ;) A lot of people complain about Dany's hair, but I think it's totally in character.. I mean, she lives in some sort of dessert, is in the sun the whole time.. no wonder her hair looks a bit frizzy (okay fried haha)

I agree 100%! Her hair is supposed to look sort of dry... it fits in with the environment and gives her a more unpolished/wild look. If it was super smooth and moisturized it would look too much like a wig. This appears more believable to me.

does anyone have any idea how to do the King's Landing Updo?
it looks like a football shape of hair tacked on with bits wound around...I just can't figure it out.

I wish I knew-- if find her KL updos very interesting. They remind me of traditional Japanese hairstyles in a way. I have a feeling that a lot of padding/false hair was used to achieve it.

skraprchik
April 3rd, 2012, 12:08 PM
I agree 100%! Her hair is supposed to look sort of dry... it fits in with the environment and gives her a more unpolished/wild look. If it was super smooth and moisturized it would look too much like a wig. This appears more believable to me.

I wish I knew-- if find her KL updos very interesting. They remind me of traditional Japanese hairstyles in a way. I have a feeling that a lot of padding/false hair was used to achieve it.

I think I know which hairstyle you're talking about. There's a video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe-TWRvHb2s&feature=plcp&context=C4fa7b9eVDvjVQa1PpcFPwgNIT2fWDebgQd8gTP8Pc 0mXQejbfQEs%3D). She does a lot of tutorials inspired by the characters.

Sillage
April 3rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
Great link Skraprchik! Thank you :D

Synthemesc
April 3rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
Rather in love with the styles they came up with for Dany, I'm a massive fan of Dothraki hair in general.

IndigoOptimist
April 3rd, 2012, 02:12 PM

I'm assuming they do. That, and they have hairstylists to make their hair look perfect. I've just watched series 1 and I'm about to watch 2 in a minute :)

Kinkycurlygurl
April 4th, 2012, 07:06 PM

Mostly they wear wigs.

Kaya
April 4th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Emilia Clarke does indeed wear a wig. In an article in Entertainment Weekly, they said she suffered from heat exhaustion due to having all of her naturally long hair crammed underneath the blond wig. :shudder:
But the styles they do for her are by far some of my favorites! :D

Firefly
April 4th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I'm a huge fan of the books, but haven't seen the series-- YET. Looking forward to being inspired but the hairstyles, wigs or not!

thirstylocks
April 4th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Wigs or not - they are still sooo inspiring!!

sfgirl
April 5th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Anyone else disappointed Dany's hair didn't burn off like in the book? I know we're all LHC here, but seriously, it would have been nice to watch her grow it out all cute. Plus they wouldn't have to put that awful wig on her. (i know I have her as my avatar, but it's just cuz I like her! LOL)

jel
April 5th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Anyone else disappointed Dany's hair didn't burn off like in the book?

I was! I moaned about it to my SO (who hasn't read the books), but he actually liked it. He pointed out that if her skin didn't burn, why should her hair do so? It's all dragon, after all! ;)

Venefica
April 5th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I love the hairstyles on the show, but I can not help but thinking that some of those that have their hair loose would get it into everything, every time I see a movie or a series where characters have long hair they do not put up even when they are going to do something that requires some physical activity I think to myself, those that made that movie do not have long hair themselves. :P

wendyg
April 5th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Vemefica: the show I thought got that really right was Six Feet Under. Frances Conroy, who has beautiful long red hair, wore it in a variety of ways depending on the character's circumstances - mostly bunned, but also braided and, on the day of her 2nd wedding, loose - and I thought it added a lot of verisimilitude to the show.

wg

Venefica
April 5th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I have not seen Six Feet Under, perhaps I should check it out, thank you for the information.

carolinaberry
April 5th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who focuses on hair when I watch movies and tv shows.

Firefly
April 5th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I remember being impressed by realistic long hair management when we watched Robin Hood (the one with Cate Blanchett). A couple of times she tied it back in a quick knot-- once when doing a chore and another time when she had to wade into water.

Conversely we recently watched Cowboys and Aliens and I was annoyed the entire time by the female character's loose hair. She's traipsing around the windy desert on horseback, fighting and gun slinging etc... with loose hair. I couldn't get past how Hollywood that was!

styric
April 5th, 2012, 06:56 PM
There's a hairstick in forbidden kingdom :D

ArienEllariel
April 5th, 2012, 06:59 PM
While the actresses might be wearing wigs, the "characters" still have long hair. For the most part I just accept the wigs as being real hair. It's a little difficult with Arya Stark's updo in Season 1 as I can clearly see a sock bun in the middle but I try to imagine it as a braided bun with the braids hanging down. Have a little imagination! :)

Synthemesc
April 5th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Dany's hair in the Red Waste. New favourite hair ever.

nicolezoie
April 5th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Dany is my favorite character thru the series so far (I just finished with book 3). As is her hair. I constantly catch myself trying to figure out how those braids work, wonder if my hair is thick enough to achieve the looks, and frankly they must have had a master-weaver on hand for the season finale. If memory serves, it's 3 braids woven together into a 9 strand, belt-like woven masterpiece. It only makes sense that the Dothraki would have expert braiders.

The Kings Landing updos remind me of one of the buns I do with my own hair: 4" barette ponytail at the top of my head, split in half and wound around a hair stick, except that I don't separate out accent braids (although I might try it just to see if the look is worthwhile).

...and to think I stumbled upon the show during infamous episode 7 and managed to keep watching...

ArienEllariel
April 6th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Attempted Daenerys' "Red Waste" braids today. They came out alright but my hair isn't near as thick as hers.

brista
April 8th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I actually really like all of Daenerys' hairstyles! I wish I knew how to do waterfall braids and things like that, since it looks like a lot of her styles have that in it.

Irish Fae
May 5th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Ah, I am in love with this show!

I absolutely adore Melisandre's hair in the first two episodes of the second season. Sadly, these are the only two photos I could find of the style:

http://celluloidheroes.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/melisanre.jpg

Any suggestions on how to copy the look if you have seen the episodes? Thank you! :-)

Bunnysaur
May 5th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I'm going to have to start watching this now!

moeZy
May 5th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I love, love!! Game of Thrones! Especially the hair, of course...but the whole show is right up my alley. I have increasingly become more hair obsessed as my hair has started to reach BSL...going for waist, possibly hip now as the Game of Thrones series has inspired me.

MissManda
May 5th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Ah, I am in love with this show!

I absolutely adore Melisandre's hair in the first two episodes of the second season. Sadly, these are the only two photos I could find of the style:

http://celluloidheroes.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/melisanre.jpg

[/URL]

Any suggestions on how to copy the look if you have seen the episodes? Thank you! :-)

TorrinPaige recently made a [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hz56vHAdVs"]tutorial (http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/29900000/GOT-game-of-thrones-29950322-1277-1920.jpg) inspired by Melisandre's hairstyle. :)

I really like Melisandre's hair, too. I hope my hair looks similar when it gets to her length.

LotteFV
May 13th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I love the hair of the ladies, it's so pretty, but I love the hair (and beard) of Khal Drogo even more ^^ But I have to admit, that that's is not solely because of the hair itself :P

carolinaberry
June 2nd, 2012, 04:42 PM
I am very disappointed in the depiction of Dany's hair. In the book her hair is described as "silvery" over and over. In the show, from what I see, her hair look like albino hair at best, and a horrid bleach job at worst. And it is crimped in some scenes? Since when did legendary silver hair equal a bad 80's hair fad of bleach and crimp? My husband can't understand why it upsets me. Also, Drogo's hair is supposed to be oiled, braided, and ornamented with many bells. (of course, since this is a hair forum, I'll save my rants about the character's portrayed ages for somewhere else).

brownpaperbag
June 2nd, 2012, 09:54 PM
More than a little hair envy from the show!!!