PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think they just look BETTER with long hair?

Nedertane
April 1st, 2012, 07:28 PM
So I put up a status on Facebook for April Fool's saying that I'd be dying my hair platinum blonde, and probably cutting a lot off. Any of the friends of mine who commented on it, seemed really into the idea, and one said that I "have the bone structure for a pixie". I laughed and thanked her for the compliment, but told her that I disagreed.

Now, I've never had a bob, let alone a pixie (save for when I was very little and my hair was still growing), since, well, the idea never really struck much with me. But really, I cannot imagine ever looking good with hair that short. To me, my face just has more of an old school, and frankly masculine look (I totally admit that I look like Vladimir Lenin and/or various male Nordic heavy metal musicians), so long hair is just a better option, and probably always will be.

Anyway, my point was, does anyone else feel like they suit long hair better than short? Love to hear from people who did sport the short at some point.

kidari
April 1st, 2012, 07:33 PM
I feel I look better in mid-length styles but all my friends would never let me cut it short or dye it blonde. They would tell me to keep it the way it is. When I did cut it short my friends told me they liked it but that I should grow it back out, because the longer length suited me better.

Raiscake
April 1st, 2012, 08:19 PM
I feel like my hair either has to be really short or really long to look good. I got a lot of compliments when my hair was shoulder length, and I didn't really like my long hair until it reached waist length.

battles
April 1st, 2012, 08:25 PM
I've had anywhere from a pixie to shoulder length most of my life, generally at about chin length.

I can definitely say the male attention has increased as my hair gets longer. :p I... think that means I look better with "long" hair?

barely.there
April 1st, 2012, 08:30 PM
I have a super round face. with short hair I look like a boy. I had short hair before and had many of those "compliments".

with longer hair I feel so much more elegant. so much more feminine...its like an everyday celebration of my girlyness :D

Quetiepi
April 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM
I wore my hair in a pixie for ten years and while women would compliment the look, men rarely did. I am feminine enough to carry it off, but I wore it that way because I was so miserably unhappy with my life all those years.
After my children's father left me, I met DH, who asked me to grow my hair longer. He didn't say how long and I got a little carried away.
I get many, many more compliments on my hair now that it is waist length. I never realized what a difference it could make.
You never say never, but I am planning on keeping it long, and growing out the gray to at least waist length.

Nedertane
April 1st, 2012, 08:34 PM
I've had anywhere from a pixie to shoulder length most of my life, generally at about chin length.

I can definitely say the male attention has increased as my hair gets longer. :p I... think that means I look better with "long" hair?

Do you think it suited your face or body, though?

annamoonfairy
April 1st, 2012, 08:41 PM
I love the way long hair makes me look. It has a sensual mystique about it that people like to look at including myself : )

stew
April 1st, 2012, 08:42 PM
When I chopped off all my hair a few years back, everyone spent a lot of time complaining about it to me. "Oh, you looked so much better with long hair, you should grow it back." "Why'd you cut it off? You were so pretty." Things like that. Which I agreed with..

Considering I cut it off out of necessity after experiencing massive hair loss, that didn't make me feel too great.. but regardless of other people's opinions, I still think I look better and feel more like myself with long hair.

battles
April 1st, 2012, 08:49 PM
Do you think it suited your face or body, though?

With short hair, I was always complimented on how well short cuts suited my face shape, but it was normally from women.

I don't think short hair suited my body very well though, I was often mistaken as a boy before people saw my face. :eek:

artiste
April 1st, 2012, 08:52 PM
I find that long hair definitely suits my face better. I'm not exactly sure why... I just find that everything is framed in a more pleasing way ( to my eye at least)

turtlelover
April 1st, 2012, 08:55 PM
I think just past shoulders w/ some layering is most flattering on me, but I loooooove long hair, so there are times when I just want to let it grow like crazy regardless -- and I may very well end up doing just that. Short hair doesn't look flattering on me unless it is either SUPER short or flat ironed.

lolot
April 1st, 2012, 08:59 PM
a lot of people have told me that i look better with short hair, but i like having long hair even if i look better with shorter hair. but i ve asked men what they prefer and a lot have told me that they dont care

lovinglocks
April 1st, 2012, 09:17 PM
I feel more sexy, beautiful etc with long hair I feel I look "cute" with short hair, which is what I don't want. People really like my hair short, I don't, so I'm growing it out. I don't feel attractive when it's short...

Carissamarie08
April 1st, 2012, 09:18 PM
I look like a little boy with short hair so yes.

TheMechaGinger
April 1st, 2012, 09:21 PM
I definitely think I just look better the longer my hair is. I had a bob once and it was just horrible on me, made my face look like a round little bowling ball haha. Plus long hair makes me feel more feminine which greatly affects how good I think I look

thirstylocks
April 1st, 2012, 09:24 PM
Long hair suits my face and body. I have a really long face and sort of masculine features and short hair emphasizes this!

hairgoals
April 1st, 2012, 09:28 PM

papillon
April 1st, 2012, 09:40 PM
My hair has ranged from ear-length to waist-length. Not every length suited me. There's a point where my hair looks too short for my face. There's a point where my hair is too long for my body. I think BSL hair balances my face and body.

WaterMusic
April 1st, 2012, 09:44 PM
I loved my short hair, it looked awesome. It didn't start looking comparably good until at least BSL. Now at waist-ish, I feel like it looks great... But part of me really misses my short hair. It was so flattering.

I grew it out because I just missed having hair to play with too much.

Littlewing13
April 1st, 2012, 10:48 PM
I look great with short hair. Even pixie. & lots of my friends tell me I should cut my hair to a bob. But I don't feel myself. So I grow it. I like it long.

stew
April 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM
I feel I look "cute" with short hair, which is what I don't want.

I agree. I feel older, I want to look my age. I looked cute and young and immature, and I want long hair to show my gain in wisdom ;)

ladylowtide
April 1st, 2012, 11:27 PM
I think that I look the best with chin length hair, and hair longer than BSL I haven't ever had more than waist length hair as an adult, so we will have to see. :D

Chetanlaiho
April 1st, 2012, 11:30 PM
My bone structure appears rather, ehm, masculine to me, short hair would amplify that xD the shortest I've had it since it was growing for the first time is chin length, it didn't look too good.

ArienEllariel
April 1st, 2012, 11:31 PM
Oh heck yes. First off, as someone with a roundish face and excess weight, long hair just looks better on me. Second, I've done the whole bob thing before. Really didn't suit me, even back when I wasn't as *ahem* fat. lol I wuv ma long hair and plan to keep on growing it. :)

racrane
April 1st, 2012, 11:42 PM
I think I look good with a bob when I'm very skinny as my cheekbones pop. But I'm now no longer skinny and kind of... plump. I love how I look with long hair no matter my weight so that's what I'm going with. :) I just feel prettier.

khrystyne572
April 1st, 2012, 11:50 PM
I think I look rather heavy with short hair. I used to have a bob that curled under on its own- what's that called? An undercut? Anyway, I liked the style, but I felt like it made my face look too round and fatter.

I think long hair sort of visually pulls my face down a but and makes it look less round. I don't know. I guess that's why I don't put my hair up very often- because it's like having short hair and I don't like how my head looks.

UpNorth
April 2nd, 2012, 02:39 AM
yes, I think I look square in shorther hair than BSL. And I donīt like how voluminous my hair gets when its short, I like volume in my lengths but not in my roots (well ok but just a little).

PolarCathy
April 2nd, 2012, 03:42 AM
I don't know how I would look with short hair, my face has changed a lot since I had very short (about 1") hair when I was a teenager. Since then, the shortest I had was about chin length and the longest was/is what I'm having now (~MBL). But I *think* the longer it gets the better I look with it. Maybe not. I don't know. I don't have much feedback. I live in a not-so-chatty country now, people don't comment on such things so I never know.

pink.sara
April 2nd, 2012, 03:42 AM
Another one in the slightly plump category! Short hair just made my round little face look even younger, a bob complete with heavy blunt fringe got me ID'd repeatedly and had friends agreeing I was cute and looked like a teenager in jeans and a t-shirt.
At 30 that's kind of insulting :rolleyes:

Now it's past APL I'm starting to feel its more feminine and more mature looking. (Even if it is purple!)

Mesmerise
April 2nd, 2012, 03:47 AM
Yes, I am pretty darn sure I look better with long hair! I had a pixie a few years ago (well quite a few... I think I was 21 haha) because I'd damaged my hair so much I decided to cut it off and start again.

A couple of males both told me that I'd looked either stunning/beautiful with long hair and asked me why I cut it. Oddly, that's the only time I've ever been complimented on my appearance... AFTER I changed it :rolleyes:.

I later got synthetic extensions that brought my hair from very short, to very long, and my acting teacher told me that I was one of the few women who look better with long hair (he preferred short hair on women... no idea why... he was an older man though, and I think he was actually gay).

So yeah... overall the consensus seems to be I look better with long hair rather than short. I definitely think so too!

Amanah
April 2nd, 2012, 03:49 AM
I don't know that I necessarily look better with long hair,
but I'm not myself with short hair.
Especially now that I'm ageing . . .
You can look all around you and find short silver hair, either natural or garishly dyed
But to see long silver hair elegantly crowning a woman's head is somewhat rare.

Syrena
April 2nd, 2012, 03:56 AM
I think everything shorter than shoulder length is not for me. Actually,I have never had hair shorter than shoulder length, but even shoulder length hair makes me look older. also, short hair would not be the best choice for my type of face. and I would require everyday styling to make it look good, because my hair is very flat :(

clairenewcastle
April 2nd, 2012, 04:01 AM
Not only did I look better when my hair was long, I felt more comfortable with myself.

Savvyhorsez
April 2nd, 2012, 04:04 AM
Pretty much everyone that I've come across has said that I'd look good, or better with long hair which really makes a tad upset, I love my long hair, and I think I look all right with long hair, why do folks pretty much just say that I look terrible with long hair? Sorry for the rant, that kind of thing just really gets to me sometimes.

Avital88
April 2nd, 2012, 05:03 AM
i look and i feel better with long hair, i dont think i could ever wear it short again

Nedertane
April 2nd, 2012, 05:17 AM
I think everything shorter than shoulder length is not for me. Actually,I have never had hair shorter than shoulder length, but even shoulder length hair makes me look older. also, short hair would not be the best choice for my type of face. and I would require everyday styling to make it look good, because my hair is very flat :(

Yeah, I agree about the styling. Anyone who knows me at least SHOULD know that hair that would require a lot of time and upkeep is simply not for me, so I was so surprised that I fooled people yesterday lol.

Plus, since my hair is somewhat flat too, I feel like short hair would emphasize that more than hide that/make it better, even though that's the supposed "remedy" for the look of fine hair.

Thinthondiel
April 2nd, 2012, 05:18 AM
I look good with a pixie and anything longer than shoulder length (a bob might work if I were willing to style it every day, but I'm not).

I'll probably give in to the temptation to cut it back to a pixie sometime, even though I know it's a bad idea (since my hair looks horrible while it's growing out again). But for now, I feel like I have the perfect solution (for me): an undercut on both sides, so if I dutch braid my hair it becomes a sort of "braid hawk" which looks very pixie-ish. :)

CharleaMurphy
April 2nd, 2012, 05:33 AM
I used to have long hair before I got it cut in 2009 (my mam convinced me to do it) and then it was about chin length and really horrible. Now it has only just reached BSL (It took me 3 years, omg) but I definitely look better with longer hair.
I've never had it much longer than it is now but I want to grow my hair to waist length at least (which will take me like 5 years since I have to grow out these nasty chin-length layers) but hopefully it will suit me. Even if it doesn't suit me I will love it:p

millyaulait
April 2nd, 2012, 06:08 AM
Absolutely!

Although, I also *really* suit inverted bobs, but everything in between that & long just don't look good on me at all.

Amber_Maiden
April 2nd, 2012, 06:14 AM
I had short hair when I was a kid (pixie to buzz cut short), and had hair between BSL and Midback until I was 18, when I grew it to hip, then cut it to chin length. So I've had short hair, grown it long, and then cut it back. I can honestly say I prefer my hair long. I just look better.

cutiepie11
April 2nd, 2012, 07:35 AM
I'm currently growing out a bob and I got a lot of compliments about it, way more than I did when my hair was long. I love short hair, I think it's super cute and I think most people suit it!

Long_hair_bear
April 2nd, 2012, 07:37 AM
Me!!! Short hair on me gives me the creeps. I had short hair as a child and still cringe to look at it!

irishlady
April 2nd, 2012, 07:38 AM
I look better with long hair, I look like me. With short hair I look like someone else.

hototogisu
April 2nd, 2012, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure if I *look* better with short hair (beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc), but I *feel* better with long hair. I have a very strong Captain America jaw (my dad was a dead ringer for Rutger Hauer, and I take after him), and years of powerlifting have given me what I call the Frazetta body (http://www.frankfrazetta.net/Gallery_1.html) - I have strong, powerful arms and shoulders, a soft belly, and muscular legs. I'm proud of my body, less so of my face, but I'm quite femmey and long hair makes me feel feminine. Long hair feels like much less work than short hair - if I want to ignore my hair, I just put it up.

jacqueline101
April 2nd, 2012, 09:00 AM
I think I look better with long hair.

Ligeia_13
April 2nd, 2012, 09:05 AM
I actually don't. It really elongates my face, generally the length that suits me best of all is somewhere between shoulder and apl. But I've always wanted long hair so maybe at some point I'll get shorter layers or something.

XcaliburGirl
April 2nd, 2012, 09:11 AM
A pixie cut did not suit me. I do think I look good with a jaw length bob. Chin to shoulder is flattering, but my hair fluffs out too much. Shoulder to APL blunt cut is no good for some reason. I think it will be better with bangs or front layers. APL and beyond looks good again.

PinkyCat
April 2nd, 2012, 09:23 AM
I totally do.
It elongates my neck-blew-a-bubble round face, makes me look taller and thinner & hides my back bacon. :p Makes me less yawner-looking.

Ishje
April 2nd, 2012, 09:30 AM
I don't think a pixi would not fit me, but I have had a bob before, and I think that was pretty nice on me ;)
I just like the touch of my long hair, but I don't really have an opinion about if it looks better on me, or not.

Renate
April 2nd, 2012, 09:44 AM
I have a pretty face, but my features are a little harsh. I definitely look better with long hair.

Leah Polamalu
April 2nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
I think long hair suits me well, at least a lot better than short hair does. I've been tempted to get a pixie cut lately buy I just cannot cut my hair yet.

arcane
April 2nd, 2012, 10:29 AM
Having had to cut my hair to my shoulders because of damage, I feel I look horrible and ugly now without my long hair. I always feel this way when it's short. Until I hit BSL I probably will not be happy with my looks at all. People love me with short or long hair, but I feel confident and pretty with long.

sashinka22
April 2nd, 2012, 11:16 AM
i always feel prettier and more feminine with long healthy hair. it suits much better to my face. it makes me much more confident. i feel like real me :)

StubbornLocks
April 2nd, 2012, 11:27 AM
Looking back it never suited me to have shoulder length hair. I looked too young (yes, can look too young) and not as feminine as with APL-BSL hair. Plus it was a lot wavier in a strange way.

nobeltonya
April 2nd, 2012, 11:27 AM
I definitely like having long hair better.. because when my hair was short, I looked like a boy.. I was actually mistaken for a boy once, so it's not just me. :P I'm already skinny, so not many curves.. I feel more feminine, and I like the way it looks.

AcornMystic
April 2nd, 2012, 02:47 PM
Well, I can't really say which suits me more, since I am a little at a disadvantage right now. I have an underbite in which I need to save up to have surgery for because it is becoming more and more detrimental to my health, and so my profile and face shape is actually not my own, especially since whenever I am in public or in the company of others, hold my jaw slightly ajar with lips closed to imitate jaws that line up, therefore elongating my face. Doing this has become almost sub-conscious. I already have a pointy chin to start with so my face is very oval. Now, long hair supposedly is alright for those with oval faces. In fact, those with oval faces apparently can wear any style and wear it well. However, I have found looking back at pics with my APL hair, and when I wear my BSL extentsions, it makes my face look even longer. I could just be being self-conscious, but I always got compliments on my short hair. I think a lot of it had to do with my personality suiting short hair and it made my face look wider to counter its longness.

Regardless of whether or not long hair looks good on me, I'd still wear it. I have a husband who loves me for more than my appearance and even encourages me to divert from the path of beauty norms, family and friends who are there regardless of the way I look. I have one friend who thinks knee length hair is a bit much and he likes me with short hair, but he's never voiced a real desire for me to not do it. Anyone else are just people I interact with in life that can either tell me they like it, or tell me they don't. I'll continue to go on with the plans I have set forth and indulge in my changing desire for longer hair.:D

ETA: I forgot to mention. As far as my body goes. I have a long torso and average-ish legs. Not very hippy, but you can tell I'm a female. I think longer hair would suit my body to about hip. That's all I can imagine for now, but my cousin certainly rocks knee length hair. Though She's kinda well-endowed a female form and such with all the kids she's had in her younger years (she had her first at 16 of I think 5-6 kids; the oldest being 17 and the youngest about a year and a half). Anyway, we'll just have to see when I get to that point. I have a rather slender-ish graceful form, my legs are just what I'm wondering about.

AcornMystic
April 2nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
I definitely like having long hair better.. because when my hair was short, I looked like a boy.. I was actually mistaken for a boy once, so it's not just me. :P I'm already skinny, so not many curves.. I feel more feminine, and I like the way it looks.

Yup... So was I.:o I had longish hair though. My APL hair. A kid a little younger than me, I guess back when I was 14 or so asked if I was a boy. It was not my hair, and I don't have masculine features. In our family even the males have a bit of a femininity to their facial features. Looking back, I had a very masculine energy about me. I put out vibes that would suggest I was a male. I had reasons, subconscious and otherwise that I did it. However, past that point and when I cut my hair I was never confused as being male or female. I think I began to allow a bit more vulnerability to show and not that I ever tried, but it became somewhat subconscious to be feminine. Helped that I started to really fill out.:D Though yeah, I understand what it's like to be confused for a male.

PixxieStix
April 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM
I've been anywhere from waist to a shaved head in my lifetime, and all my friends and family agree what while I can pull off any length of hair, long hair suits me best. I can pull off "cute" and "young" hairstyles, but I pull of a sophisticated look quite well too, which is much easier to do with longer hair. I have quite a way to go before I have my dream hair back on my head again, but I know it is possible and I have wonderful support. I never felt any less confident with a shaved head or short hair, as my features go well with them, but I certainly FEEL better/sexier/happier with long hair.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2012, 03:41 PM
Hmm... pixielength cowlicks all over the back of my head after sleeping on it once, and even worse ones after sleeping on it twice, are what's keeping my hair long.

JellyBene
April 2nd, 2012, 04:15 PM
I definately feel like long hair frames me face much better. Plus for me it is a huge confidence booster and when I feel confident, it radiates

kmoc123
April 2nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
I look like my Mother with short hair...I love her, but I like long hair on ME!

dulce
April 2nd, 2012, 04:36 PM
I had long hair in my teens,twenties and 30's.In my 40's cut it off to a pixie and hated it.It did not suit me.I grew it out long again in my 50's and love it,feel at home now.When it was short never got any comments,now I do.

sfgirl
April 2nd, 2012, 05:44 PM
I've never had short hair, but I've worn some cute short wigs, and done fake bobs. I actually thought I looked cute and stylish.
But I think long hair is just sexier and more glamorous. I feel like I need less makeup to look feminine. (just my opinion, you can have short hair and still look feminine without makeup. :) )

supbanana
April 2nd, 2012, 06:23 PM
Oh yeah, without a doubt. I'm heavy with a large bone structure and plain features, so my hair is the one thing about me that's really feminine. Without the length I feel very ugly.

MissManda
April 2nd, 2012, 06:24 PM
I don't really like how my hair looks when it's short. I had a pixie for a long time and it made my face look too round and resembled a mushroom. I also tried a bob, liked it for a week at most, and then couldn't stand it because it made my forehead look huge and my chin tiny. Shoulder-length looks okay-ish if it's heavily layered, but I otherwise find it irritating to deal with. I don't think short hair would suit my body shape either, since I am hourglass-shaped and I'd feel like a pinhead.

I like my hair to be long enough to have what I think of as a "flowing" appearance and don't think it looks right when it's short because it has no flow. I think I look much better with longer hair and I get more positive attention from others with it as well.

leslissocool
April 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
I look awful with short hair! Like really, really bad... I cannot wear anything less than shoulder. I am thankful I don't have any pictures with short hair, I avoided them like the plague!

joesgirl2011
April 2nd, 2012, 06:53 PM
Yes it makes me look way better. I uploaded some pics i found today from 2002 and 2005 when my hair was at waist.

Long hair is definately my best look..hands down. I have confidence with it. Without it I am just plain and my features look too big and wonky.

Its depressing having to wait so long to get it back.

Bethmc
April 2nd, 2012, 06:53 PM
I definitely think I look better with longer hair than shorter. The shortest my hair has ever been was between chin and shoulder (junior high) and looking back, I looked pitiful lol. Plus, I really like having long hair.

Kelikea
April 2nd, 2012, 06:57 PM
I haven't had short hair since I was a little kid. I really don't think I would like it. Sometimes I think about cutting bangs, just for a change and to have hair around my face/forehead. HB always says no, that I look better without. He says I look better with long hair, no bangs. Hey, its easier anyway. No trims or upkeep to the style. So, yeah, I guess I think I look better with long hair. Even though I'm not SURE as I've never seen my grown-up self with short hair:)

Perelka74
April 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM
I think so , I also look younger with long hair , I am going to be 38 this year and people always think that I am in my 20's , I like that , my hubby is younger than me so it pays to look younger.

Shadow Walker
April 3rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
I used to shave my head until I finally grew mine out, and I definitely think I look better with long hair. The ladies seem to agree as well. :p

longcurlygirl<3
April 3rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
yes, i think short hair was wierd on my round-ish face. Plus, I love long hair on me :)

Floryda
April 3rd, 2012, 06:16 PM
I think I actually DO look better with short hair. And by "short" I mean a pixie. I think it just highlights the features of my face.
However, I miss having long hair and now that I actually know how to make it look good, I'm super excited!

Nedertane
April 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
I think I actually DO look better with short hair. And by "short" I mean a pixie. I think it just highlights the features of my face.
However, I miss having long hair and now that I actually know how to make it look good, I'm super excited!

Very interesting. What features do you think it highlighted in particular? Heh, as I mentioned earlier, I feel like a pixie would just make my jaw even MORE masculine-looking. :p

HintOfMint
April 3rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
How I wish I had the features for a pixie!

Ah well, I have been told that long hair suits me infinitely more than short hair, and I am inclined to agree. I have a very round face with a low forehead, very full round lips, round eyes, chipmunk cheeks... you see where I'm going with this?

MissHair
April 3rd, 2012, 06:37 PM
I feel like a whole person with long hair. It's like a limb. I think I look weird without it.

caiti42
April 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
I think I look 1000 times better with long hair.

Shinitori
April 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
I have curly hair, and the last time is was short I was......12? ish? But I have pictures and WOW did I look three times as heavy and I hated to even look at myself in the mirror.

I am 25 now and my hair reaches my hips. I love it! It's my most beautiful feature! I will never cut my hair ever again!