PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here actually increased their normal growth rate? If so, how?>>>>>

Shae
April 1st, 2012, 07:12 PM
This is probably the most common question on a hair board!

If you have significantly increased your growth rate, can you please share what exactly you did to achieve this?

TIA! :)

Shae
April 1st, 2012, 07:13 PM
Sorry, I meant to post this on the Mane forum!

annamoonfairy
April 1st, 2012, 08:55 PM
I have found that true hair growth come from the inside out. I drink a full glass of 2% milk before bed, juice my own fresh fruit and veggies (my fav 1 apple, 1 orange & 3 carrots) I also take centrum vitamins for women under 50, Caltrate 600-D and Bitin 1000 mcg plus drink about 3/4 of a gallon of water a day. I only wash my hair once a week and I brush with my hair bean. Hope this helps : )

carolinaberry
April 1st, 2012, 11:23 PM
Hi. I am brand new here. I've just started trying to grow out a horrible, short, uneven cut about a month ago. I have been taking Hair, Skin and Nail vitamins and just started MSM about a week ago....in that week, my hair grew a half an inch. I've also cut down washing to every 3 days or so and I dampen the ends and apply argan oil nightly.

2peasinapod
April 2nd, 2012, 02:52 AM
I agree with annamoonfairy. I increased my growth rate with diet and vitamins, too. I take a multivitamin with about 10% biotin (10% DV). I also eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I used to drink one green smoothie a day, and it really helped. Now, I drink either fruit or vegetable juice every day.

The other thing that really helps is eating lots of protein. I got good growth eating a spoonful of peanut butter a day. If I don't do that I have a cliff bar. There was also a thread on here about millet. I tried it, and I think it worked, but I was doing so many things when I tried it I can't be sure.

Welcome to the site, carolinaberry! :flower:

Heidina
April 2nd, 2012, 10:45 AM
MSM works for me! I first tried 1 ml/day (powder is usually cheaper) and the only thing that grew noticeable better were the straws on my legs. :( Than I increased to 5 ml (a teaspoon) and after 2 weeks I got longer eyelashes. :) And the hairgrowth increased with the double, from 12 cm/year to 12 cm/6 months! (Which is as long as I have tried.) :)
I'm eating biotin too since earlier. For me it doesn't increase hair growth that much, much gives me a better hair quality.

CandieBarr
April 5th, 2012, 12:43 PM
my hair grows about 3/4-1" every 4 weeks if I wash it once a week, use coconut oil once every 2 weeks and take a prenatal vitamin daily. Compared to 1/4" if I wash it 2-3 times a week, don't use coconut oil and don't take the vitamin

PinkyCat
April 5th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Yes - from .5" to .75"+ per month.

Country Life Maxi-Hair Maximized
Vitamin B-12
Omega 3 & 6 fish oil
Whey protein shakes
Scalp massages with Tangle Teezer

Cheveux en péta
June 7th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Well about 2 years ago I went natural and used only conditioner and coconut oil, NO SHAMPOO whatsoever and my hair grew like crazy. My hair and scalp is usually very dry when my hair is permed and shampoos strip moisture so I guess moisture grows hair. It's that simple....for me.

catamonica
June 7th, 2012, 10:56 PM
In 2009 my hair was just past midback. It did not grow for years. Then I bought Original Mane & tail horse shampoo from Wall Mart. It grew to my waist. Then it stopped growing for two years. I started wearing a braided bun, in November 2011. By March 2012, it grew to hip. I hope this helps your hair. Add a capful of olive oil to the shampoo. It makes it soft. I read online that the oil helps your hair grow.

pretty wings
June 7th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I find that my hair grows at its optimum rate when I am taking good care of myself: eating right, working out, getting a good amount of sleep, drinking lots of water, and taking my vitamins (multi, msm, biotin, and fish oil.) I've tried sulfur for a short while which did seem to thicken my hair a bit but I didn't see any major growth rate difference then again I didn't use it for long since the smell began to annoy me.

jacqueline101
June 8th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I use monistat hair skin nail vitamin and multi vitamin.

proo
June 8th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Paleo diet
SO method
Frequent dusting
Affirmations

Sunny_side_up
June 8th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Taking my multi vit regularly and use sls free shampoo, i had such good growth a couple winters ago, better than summer when i expect better growth from having time in the sun. Ive had a stall recently im sure, so will get back on track with these things ive mentioned.
Also mini trims make my hair feel nice and thats an added boost, and find when i walk more growths good, as i suppose thats boosting my circulation:)

akilina
June 8th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I think this is the most common question for everyone who wants long hair :D
I found that henna actually increased my growth per month by a whole nother 1/4 of an inch. Which is great on top of my regular half inch.
Also...trimming with the Moon really does work for me. I saw much increased growth. I think you truly need to believe in that for it to work though. It works for me.
Other than that taking vitamins and having a good healthy diet really makes a difference. And staying active and getting exercise.

TheMechaGinger
June 8th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Silica worked wonders for me, my hair grew just under an inch and a half last month. I take heaping a tablespoon of diatomaceous earth everyday first thing in the morning

ravenheather
June 8th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I've increased from 1/2" to 3/4" per month using msm and monistat.

Ephemeral
June 8th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I've increased from 1/2" to 3/4" per month using msm and monistat.

I take MSM and do monistat also (along with various other supplements). I have found that the MSM has significantly decreased my shedding - I shed maybe 30 hairs a day now. And, I have little prickly new hairs growing all over my scalp.

dollyfish
June 8th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Well now I feel I should give this Monistat thing another go!

My hair grows at a very average rate (1/2" per month) and despite the fact that I've been taking extra supplements (multivitamin, biotin, MSM) and eating extra protein I've seen no change. Perhaps I should try B and Omega3 supplements too.

Either way, I'm content with my growth rate. Right smack in the middle of the bell curve is something I can accept. I'd love faster growth, obviously, but I'm not desperate.

swearnsue
June 8th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Silica worked wonders for me, my hair grew just under an inch and a half last month. I take heaping a tablespoon of diatomaceous earth everyday first thing in the morning

I take diatomaceous earth also and I've gone from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch growth per month. I recommend it!

JuniperBerry
June 8th, 2012, 05:47 PM

hellucy
June 9th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I take biotin, glaucosamine, vitamin D, K and calcium, vitamin E, Omega 3 (sometimes 6 & 9 as well), and a Berocca daily, I used to take MSM as well but didn't notice enough of a difference even after almost a year of taking so I stopped.
Recently I have been drinking Whey Protein Shakes (54g a day) my growth has gone from 0.5" A MONTH to 0.5" Every TWO WEEKS - think I'll be sticking with the protein shakes worth the money IMO.

firegypsy
June 9th, 2012, 11:50 AM
nettles infusions. every time I drink a quart or so a day my hair grows like a weed. in fact, most people report this side effect, it seems!

MiamiPineapple
June 9th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Biotin. Period.;)

leilasahhar
June 9th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Most that Ive tried have already been mentioned here but this new product Redwood roots hair mist is my new fav :)) Its sooooo nice, smells yummy and makes my hair feel fuller and is growing too!!

ladylowtide
June 9th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Biotin. 5,000 mcg every other day. Went from about .3 inches a month to .5-1.25" a month with closer to .5-.75 being the most common. I also saw a growth spurt when I started hennaing, but it has plateaued out now.

Silverbrumby
June 10th, 2012, 12:28 AM
So far nothing. Have tried:

1. Biotin
2. Biosil
3. Monistat
4. Whey protein (new this one)
5. Scalp massages

thystle
June 10th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I started taking MSM about a month and a half ago. I don't know if it changed my actual growth rate, but it certainly jump started me out of a nearly year-long stall. I went from about an inch short of classic to almost fingertip, three to four inches of growth.

The MSM did nothing for my joint pain, which is why I originally started taking it, though. :( And I haven't gotten any growth in my eyebrows or lashes, which would be appreciated, as mine have gotten skimpy.

Other than trying to eat as chemical/additive free as possible, I haven't done anything else--no other supplements, etc.--except to try and be gentle with my hair. I used to take biotin, and I had hardly any shedding and no split ends, even if I colored or permed my hair.

Hmm, I think I need to start taking some more stuff.

KwaveT
June 10th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I accidentally took an MSM with my evening supplement regimen and my leg hair was overgrown compared to normal. I normal take 2300 mg a day but did 3300 that day. If that increase affected my body hair that much I am going to see if it will translate to my head hair. I am doing 3300 mg everyday now.

Long_hair_bear
June 10th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I do scritching (?) and scalp massage and I think it helps. When I was un lazy enough to use monistat, that helped too!

Divinekarma
June 10th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Phyto Phytopolleine Elixir has helped me.

Seeshami
June 10th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I am not sure if it is just summer time but ignoring my hair, because it displeases me, seems to have helped it grow faster.

Logi Bear
June 12th, 2012, 01:23 PM
When I got sick my hair growth slowed eventually to 1/4 inch a month. But I went on a raw food diet... fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, grains, legumes. (But I was using primarily my feeding tube, and everything was liquified in a blender of course.) I eventually was getting 4000 calories a day to satisfy my metabolism, and on average 100g of protien a day. (which is fine since only 10% of my total calories from protien). My hair started growing 1 inch a month! I had to discontinue the diet because my Gi problems got worse when i went off of a medication, but I hope some day I will be able to get back on that diet!