PDA

View Full Version : So I was thinking...

summerstarlet
April 1st, 2012, 06:04 PM
I've wanted to do CO for awhile now but my hair will have none of it. It doesn't not like CO washing. It'll look greasy, as though I didn't wash it. It just doesn't want to cut the oil in my hair. I'm already cone free and it likes that. So what I'm wondering is, if I use a brand of conditioner like V05 Clarifying Kiwi, will it help with the grease and make my hair nice and soft like a cleansing conditioner, or will it totally ruin my hair?

caadam
April 1st, 2012, 07:08 PM
Try it out! It doesn't hurt to try, and you're really losing nothing by getting a bottle of VO5. lol They're so cheap.

I know the clarifying kiwi conditioner is one that gets recommended a lot for people who are starting out with CO washing. It was for me, at least, and I've seen it around in the past. I've used it back in my first days of CO washing and it worked great.

Just remember that when you CO wash, you have to really massage that conditioner into your hair (I usually devoted about 2 minutes to massaging), then let it sit in your hair for 3-5 minutes; after that, make sure to rinse your hair very well. You might have to rinse for a few minutes, making absolutely sure that all the conditioner is gone.

Hope that helps. :D

Carolyn
April 1st, 2012, 07:18 PM
Just an FYI, a conditioner that is labeled "clarifying" does not clarify hair. It is made to be used with a clarifying conditioner. The Kiwi Lime Squeeze is labeled as clarifying and is very popular here with CO washers. In general I would say that light, runny, cone free, cheapie conditioners work best. Some work better than others but that varies from person to person. You just have to experiment and see. You could try leaving your CO conditioner on longer and massaging more. I often leave mine on for an hour or more. It gets all the oil and grease off my hair and leaves it moisturized. CO doesn't work for everyone and you could be one of those people.

Kelikea
April 1st, 2012, 07:45 PM
I'm a bit confused by your post. Do you want to try CO with the V05? Or you just want to condition after your shampoo with the V05? How is the V05 not a cleansing conditioner?

When I tried CO, I started with the V05 vanilla mint tea clarifying conditioner. It made my hair look greasy, no matter how much I left it on, massaged, and rinsed. However, I have tried the V05 strawberries and cream, and had much better luck. Sometimes you just have to try different CO's to figure out which ones agree with your hair type.

And I don't know how any conditioner could ruin your hair. They are usually pretty harmless, and can wash right out.

barely.there
April 1st, 2012, 08:25 PM
it would also depend on how many times a week you wash/Co your hair a week.

I've started doing an apple cider vinegar rinse and then using conditioner. the ACV would help get rid of the excess oils and Ph balance your scalp (a balanced scalp would produce less oils). ACV will also not excessively strip your hair like shampoo does.

chelles2kids
April 1st, 2012, 09:17 PM
I've wanted to do CO for awhile now but my hair will have none of it. It doesn't not like CO washing. It'll look greasy, as though I didn't wash it. It just doesn't want to cut the oil in my hair. I'm already cone free and it likes that. So what I'm wondering is, if I use a brand of conditioner like V05 Clarifying Kiwi, will it help with the grease and make my hair nice and soft like a cleansing conditioner, or will it totally ruin my hair?

I would say that the conditioners that are labeled as 'clarifying' usually are less 'heavy'. They do seem to be a bit runnier/thinner as well.
But having said that a couple other things to consider...is your scalp/hair still going through a transitioning phase?
It can take up to 2 or 3 weeks for you to really start seeing correct results.

Also, another thing that came to mind when you said that your scalp is oily, just make sure that you are rinsing well enough.
You have to almost over rinse your hair when CO'ing...a quick rinse as if you are following a shampoo will not work with the CO method.
I would rinse at the very least 2 minutes and longer would not hurt.;)

Now having said all of that...CO'ing does not work for everyone's hair.
I don't want to discourage you in any way because if you can get it to work for you it can do wonderful things for your hair but if allowing enough time...switching conditioners...and making sure you are doing the process correctly are not working, it just may not be the right thing for your hair.:shrug:

Maelyssa
April 1st, 2012, 10:00 PM
V05 Kiwi is amazing stuff! Couldn't recommend it more for a grease reducing CO wash. You should have no issues with dryness.

Talula
April 1st, 2012, 10:36 PM
The VO5 Kiwi Lime did not work to clean my hair, nor did any VO5 I have tried so far. The Suave Naturals & White Rains work much better for me. I still have a bunch of White Rain bottles from before they added cones, but I recently tried one WITH cones, and even that still works to clean my hair. But VO5's leave my hair heavy & greasy, no matter what I do. I was very stubborn & kept tweaking my routine to get the Kiwi to work, since so many others here love it, but it just didn't. So don't give up if that particular brand won't work even if it works for others... keep searching till u find the best one for u.

Organix Coconut also cleans my hair VERY well, almost over-cleans it like a shampoo.

caadam
April 1st, 2012, 10:54 PM
Well, if the VO5 doesn't work out, Suave mint rosemary conditioner was what I used religiously when I was CO washing. I love that conditioner. It's my favorite.

summerstarlet
April 1st, 2012, 11:08 PM
Thank you so much everyone! I'm going to go out and buy some V05 and Suave as soon as I go to the store next. I think not rinsing enough was probably my biggest issue. I hadn't thought of that! Thank you all :)

sycamoreboutiqu
April 2nd, 2012, 11:24 PM
Definitely leaving it on for a good length of time - I would say 15 min for a minimum, and really good scritching & massaging are key. When rinsing I think you have to think of it as if it were shampoo you are rinsing out Rinse, and rinse again.

I know some people do the CO wash every few days until their scalp slows oil production then you may find you can go much longer between washes as time goes on.

Bagginslover
April 3rd, 2012, 04:16 AM
Not rinsing was my big downfall with CO washing. I had to rinse for 10 minutes sometimes, and manipulate my hair as if I was washing it at the same time too. If I didn't, my hair would have a coating on that would come off on my fingers, and would take almost a day to dry! Because of this I'm not COing currently, the manipulation while rinsing worried me, do I'm doing CWC while I experiment with conditioners.