PDA

View Full Version : Hairstylists Help!! Corrective Color Consultation Etiqquette Question

cheetahfast
April 1st, 2012, 02:03 PM
Okay, so in a bit over a week I have an appointment for a consultation on corrective color (to see if I can get back to blonde). They do a test strand then, before proceeding with anything else. If it doesn't work out we do not book an appointment for the whole process. It is free, a courtesy and a way of making sure the client's hair can handle a full head application without mishaps.

Now, should I tip?? I've been to the guy before a few times, he's the only one I go to now. That isn't too often though since I only get my hair done twice a year, at most. I think it would probably be a nice thing to do, but I don't know if it is weird to do it. I mean they do use product on part of my hair and the stylist isn't making money off doing it since he's doing it for free instead of working on a paying customer. I don't want to be rude by not tipping, he's a really nice and talented guy.

Kaelee
April 1st, 2012, 02:09 PM
I *would*, but I don't know if it's proper etiquette to tip in this case or not. I'm really not sure either. But I'm leaning towards "do tip".

Macaroni
April 1st, 2012, 02:18 PM
Yes, I would definitely tip. You're using the resources of the salon and his time and talent. How much would I tip? $10.

Scarlett brooke
April 1st, 2012, 02:27 PM
No. I am a qualified stylist and I would not expect a tip. This test does not take long at all.

Amber_Maiden
April 1st, 2012, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't tip. They should be trying to make me want to let them cut my hair- why would I pay them for that?

Amarante
April 1st, 2012, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't tip. He's probably not expecting one, with it just being a strand test. It would probably surprise him.

Littlewing13
April 1st, 2012, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't. But then in Australia we don't... unless we've received really good service.

Miss Catrina
April 1st, 2012, 06:04 PM
I'm a student hair stylist and I would never expect a tip for that. Since you generally base your tip on the cost of the service, there's no guideline.

TheMechaGinger
April 1st, 2012, 09:23 PM
I would (but not a whole lot), but like others have said before that's just my own personal preference and I have no clue about tipping etiquette.

Mommyof4
April 2nd, 2012, 10:29 AM
I would, just in case you do want to go ahead with services or go to him later for something else.. It would leave a good impression with him :) Maybe like $5 though.. I wouldn't go overboard.. IF you do, just say, here, I just can't leave without tipping an awesome stylist. ;)

Good luck with you strand test :D

BrightEyes
April 2nd, 2012, 12:05 PM
I'm a hairstylist and I wouldn't expect a tip from a consultation.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2012, 01:20 PM
The way I'd think of it is this, the strand test is a precursor to your service, not a service on its own, so no: no tip for that, for the service: yes. Where I live we never tip, not usually, tips are usually included in whatever service.

cheetahfast
April 2nd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks everyone!! I'll have to see how it goes. I guess I'm just used to tipping and I wasn't sure if it was expected or not. I've decided that I won't be tipping for the test strand. If it goes well and I end up booking an appointment for a full head, I'll make sure to tip really well at the end of that appointment. Right now I'm pretty sure it will take a miracle to get my hair to blonde.

Good luck with you strand test :D

Thanks!!! I'm actually really excited and nervous at the same time. It's still over a week away so I need to calm myself :p.

blondie9912
April 2nd, 2012, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't. Since there's no cost for this service, I wouldn;t know HOW to tip him... I think it's kind of odd to just stuff a twenty in his hand. This service is intended to encourage you to let him colour your hair, for which you would pay and therefore tip him.