PDA

View Full Version : trims..

longcurlygirl<3
April 1st, 2012, 09:39 AM
So I trimmed my hair at my hairstylist of 11 years and it was so nice to have smooth, healthy ends... BUT..

I miss my hair when it was longer :( I think she cut of atleast 2 inches but does this happen to anyone?

Would you rather have not so great, dryish ends or healthier ends even if you must give up length ?

!
*** I will be posting pictures of my new length by tuesday on this thread

Springgrl
April 1st, 2012, 09:49 AM
I would much rather give up a little length for healthy looking ends! I like to wear my hair down, and it is the only way I feel comfortable doing it. Also, I think my hair tangles a lot easier when my ends are un-healthy, and trying to de-tangle my hair can be very damaging.

Anywhere
April 1st, 2012, 10:10 AM
I know that feeling. I used to say length over health, but now I'm a health over length kind of gal.

Amber_Maiden
April 1st, 2012, 10:13 AM
I'd rather have healthy ends than length, for sure!

bunzfan
April 1st, 2012, 10:25 AM
So I trimmed my hair at my hairstylist of 11 years and it was so nice to have smooth, healthy ends... BUT..

I miss my hair when it was longer :( I think she cut of atleast 2 inches but does this happen to anyone?

Would you rather have not so great, dryish ends or healthier ends even if you must give up length ?

!
*** I will be posting pictures of my new length by tuesday on this thread

I know the feeling i just trimmed half a inch myself but, for about a day i kept thinking of the hair that's gone then i thought hey it will back in no time and least you have super healthy ends now. I always think stylists trim to much how about trimming it yourself thats what i do now.

Perelka74
April 1st, 2012, 10:31 AM
It is hard to say as I lost 4 inches due to bad haircut and I would give a lot to get my length back ....it just might take a lot longer to get it back.

jacqueline101
April 1st, 2012, 10:35 AM
I'd say healthy ends is a must.

Hyacinth
April 1st, 2012, 10:41 AM
Right NOW I'd want more length, but maybe when I'm at BSL or beyond I would choose health. Maybe it matters how much you have to "give up" for health?

jojo
April 1st, 2012, 11:44 AM
I am an all or nothing kinda grower, it really doesnt bother me in the slightest anymore if I trim a few inches off, it feels and looks better so all good! :)

lunalocks
April 1st, 2012, 11:45 AM
I go for hair health every time. I just had an inch off due to some unintended damage, and waiting too long for my trim. Frankly, now that I have passed waist, I barely notice that it is any shorter when I have a trim. What others notice is how nice it looks, not that it is shorter.

For me, small trims all along the way is a better tactic that letting it grow for years, then having to hack off a bunch and lose a lot of length, and having it look bad for most of those years. Small, frequent trims is the only way I could get my hair this long.

longcurlygirl<3
April 1st, 2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks ladies :) And I mean I am happy my ends are better looking but I feel my curls got so much springier that it looks shorter than what I thought!

Also, she cut in a U-shape since I have always rocked a blunt cut and now it is more flattering :)

What are some good ways to now protect my ends?
I also had to cut since the tangles were unbearable and the damage of straightening 3-4 times before I came on here was still lingering but now I think it is all gone.

lolot
April 1st, 2012, 03:26 PM
well i have been thinking about this because my ends are healty but thin, and im tired of being at the same length, but anyway if i wear my hair up all the time, why i should trim if no one is going to see my thin ends anyway, but i feel is growing and it looks long in a ponytail or i can do more styles so for me as long as they are not full of splits i say length

Xandergrammy
April 1st, 2012, 03:35 PM
I'm the oddball here, I guess. I'm a nontrimmer and since I wear my hair up most of the time I don't mind funky ends.

chelles2kids
April 1st, 2012, 03:47 PM
I would rather have healthier looking ends.
There's nothing worse than seeing a beautiful long-haired person with fried, frizzy ends.:(

But yes, 2 inches would hurt...although now your hair is completely healthy & you can maybe do micro trims from now on to keep them that way?
1/2 inch is much easier to lose than 2 inches.;)

caiti42
April 1st, 2012, 04:16 PM
I'm really greedy and I want both! But I think healthy ends are slightly more important. I'd rather long healthy hair than longer ratty looking hair.

caadam
April 1st, 2012, 05:25 PM
I would want healthy ends over damaged ones. Once I see damage set in to my ends, I always trim, even if I don't trim often. :)

caadam
April 1st, 2012, 05:29 PM
What are some good ways to now protect my ends?
I also had to cut since the tangles were unbearable and the damage of straightening 3-4 times before I came on here was still lingering but now I think it is all gone.

Oiling! Oil always helps to protect ends. You might want to experiment with some of the more popular oils, like EVOO, coconut oil, jojoba oil, and mineral oil. See what works best for you.

And I read briefly somewhere that when out in the sun, sesame oil helps to protect hair. I don't remember exactly. But I have tried sesame oil on my hair before. At first, the smell is kind of strong, but it went away after a while, and it left my ends soft.

MissHair
April 1st, 2012, 05:34 PM
I'd say losing 2 inches is not much. Once at a hairdresser she hacked off more than 6 inches on me when I asked for 2. It's gonna grow back in no time!

Maelyssa
April 1st, 2012, 10:13 PM
I flt the same way as you did once but after getting some severe damage trimmed I loved the healthy, fuller ends so much I've finally settled on preferring health to length.

lolot
April 1st, 2012, 10:21 PM
I'm really greedy and I want both! But I think healthy ends are slightly more important. I'd rather long healthy hair than longer ratty looking hair.

ouch :shrug:

Emy Sue
April 1st, 2012, 10:31 PM
Healthy ends, all the way! Oil is my friend. If I keep up on the oil, then I only have to trim every 5 or 6 months! So I get BOTH healthy ends and length...

longcurlygirl<3
April 2nd, 2012, 02:50 PM
Hmm, I will try experimenting with all kinds of oils. I usually seal after my leave in and after gel [If I want to wear my hair out for a special occasion. I try not to trim honestly, but with curls, the Lord can only help me :)

MinderMutsig
April 2nd, 2012, 04:50 PM
I want to be able to feel good about my hair if I wear it down, even if I never choose to do so, and I couldn't do that with uneven or damaged ends so I choose health over length.