PDA

View Full Version : Mid-back hair rant

FamBam
April 1st, 2012, 05:10 AM
Do you ever have one of those days where your hair just feels too short and meh no matter what you do to it? I swear my hair looked longer yesterday than it does this morning :(
It seems like its been stuck forever at this midback length (like a couple of inches below my bra strap) and I just CAN'T stop looking at my length from the back..wishing it to grow! Even when I think back to even last summer it was the same length and I've had no major trims, just 1 dusting and that was it.
Does anyone have any tips on whiling away this painful period between midback to something longer?
Much appreciated :)

Amanah
April 1st, 2012, 05:16 AM
my advice is peek in on the super shorties thread, and think how far you have come :)

EmmaAlex
April 1st, 2012, 05:22 AM
my advice is peek in on the super shorties thread, and think how far you have come :)

Sounds like fantastic advise. I might do that myself...

MonaMayfair
April 1st, 2012, 05:57 AM
Yeah, that's the length mine is. But it's my own fault, I had nearly 2 inches cut off a couple of months ago, and had layers cut in.
There was SO much hair on the floor of the hairdressers!

I HAD made up my mind never to let a hairdresser near my head again, but the desire for layers was too strong (and I'm really glad I did it)

Actually this was the length I was going for, because I didn't want my hair really long again, but now I think I'll go for waist length...

caiti42
April 1st, 2012, 06:19 AM
My only suggestion is to put it up every day for a week. Don't even take any notice of the length between washing and drying and then have a look again.

My hair feels like that all the time. One moment I'm at BSL the next I seem about 3 inches above it!

jacqueline101
April 1st, 2012, 06:41 AM
You're lucky to be at mid back length. I'm not quite bra strap length. My lovely hair decided to go on a three month vacation. That's my hair for you.

Maelyssa
April 1st, 2012, 07:14 AM
I went through this too and I swear the only thing that got me through it was pretty much putting it in buns and conjuring a will of steel not to take it down and look at it. I did this through most of winter then just started taking it down and looking at it again recently and I thought it was just around waist but now it's firmly hip.
I've found out the hard way that watching hair grow is like watching water boil. Seems to take painfully long when you watch it.

rock007junkie
April 1st, 2012, 07:31 AM
I know how you feel. I definitely have days like that. What I usually do to cure those blues is either braid or bun my hair for an extended period of time (like a week or two). That way is out of the way so you don't obsess about it and when you take it down you might be surprised.

Taenarian
April 1st, 2012, 07:35 AM
My hair always feels like it's shorter than it is. The braid does shorten things up, yet I feel like I'm permanently stuck between APL and BSL.

krisbb
April 1st, 2012, 07:41 AM
I agree wear your hair up!! I'm just past waist and have worn my hair down a lot more in the last year. Once i decided i wanted bum length hair growth slowwwwwed or so it seems so back up into clips it goes. Plus with summer coming on it keeps me cooler having it up.

:luke: < love those little emoji

Long_hair_bear
April 1st, 2012, 07:42 AM
I have MBL hair and feel the same way. I'm maybe 4 inches from waist, and patience has never been my strong point. It makes me feel better though when someone tells me how pretty or long my hair is. Or when I look at pics of me in short hair and see how far I've come.

Madora
April 1st, 2012, 08:12 AM
FamBam, you might like to experiment with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Learning new styles and braiding can help pass the time.

Raiscake
April 1st, 2012, 08:18 AM
I find that long hair always happens when you're distracted. ;) Don't worry too much! Just put it up and place your mind on something else. Growing out hair is a great time to start a hobby.

bunzfan
April 1st, 2012, 09:10 AM
I find that long hair always happens when you're distracted. ;) Don't worry too much! Just put it up and place your mind on something else. Growing out hair is a great time to start a hobby.

This is soo true once i started doing other things and stopped focusing on it so much i got to waist about a month later :lol: i do think the protein shakes helped to though.

blondie9912
April 1st, 2012, 09:29 AM
Put it up for a while! Do the 'wear your hair up for a month' challenge, and don't check your length at ALL during those times. Personally, I try to wear my hair up as much as possible and only check my length during my monthly photos, otherwise I think I wouldn't be able to think about anything else :p

auroraclio
April 1st, 2012, 09:35 AM
I've been growing from shoulder to APL for over a year now, just try and ignore it and put it up. It's helped me :)

PixxieStix
April 1st, 2012, 09:59 AM
Wear it up and away as much as you can, and I third the hobby thing! This spring I plan on starting to use up my yarn stash (which is quite huge) to help pass the time, be productive (sort of), and keep my mind off my hair. I'm praying that with the extra exercise and sunshine my hair will grow faster during the warmer months. :) Of course, it'll "grow faster" if I stop checking it incessantly. *le sigh* Methinks that hobby should be started some time today.

spidermom
April 1st, 2012, 10:02 AM
I've been through the exact same thing. I used to look at my length about 9 times per day, agonizing on my lack of progress.

Then I decided to hurry up/quick put my hair up every morning and only allow myself to check the length on the first day of the month. Wow - what a difference! I could finally see progress.

Amber_Maiden
April 1st, 2012, 10:09 AM
Yep, I know how you feel... sometimes my hair doesn't feel like it's growing- and sometimes, like this month, it doesn't grow AT ALL. :(

MoonlightShadow
April 1st, 2012, 10:33 AM
I had one of those moments about a month ago :(
I reassured myself by asking others and looking at my progress pictures

Perelka74
April 1st, 2012, 10:36 AM
I thought that I was the only one that that this problem , every time I look in the mirror I am thinking that it is shorter.

FamBam
April 1st, 2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for all the help and advice :) right I have decided that since today is the 1st of April I'm going to give myself the rest of today to agonize/freak out over my hair length and get it all out of my system and wait until next month (1st of May) before I allow myself to wear it down and have another look, I definitely think this is healthier for me in the long run!
In the meantime, I have exams to revise for and braided up-do's to learn :)

Shermie Girl
April 1st, 2012, 11:13 AM
Do you ever have one of those days where your hair just feels too short and meh no matter what you do to it? I swear my hair looked longer yesterday than it does this morning :(
It seems like its been stuck forever at this midback length (like a couple of inches below my bra strap) and I just CAN'T stop looking at my length from the back..wishing it to grow! Even when I think back to even last summer it was the same length and I've had no major trims, just 1 dusting and that was it.
Does anyone have any tips on whiling away this painful period between midback to something longer?
Much appreciated :)

You are in the midback badlands. I hate that part of my hair growth because it feels as if I am going to be there forever. My longest layer is just beginning to kiss my waist. Sort of. And it is driving me crazy! Why doesn't my hair just get solidly to waist, already! :lol:

Hang in there. You will make it out of the badlands and one day, you will look at your hair in the mirror and you will have waist length tresses.

Then you can start the waist to hip thing. ;) :twisted:

lunalocks
April 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM
I was there so long I thought I had reached terminal! I stopped believing it could grow longer, focused on hair health, trimmed off only 1/4 inch for trims because it was in such good shape, and lo and behold, I reached waist. Big surprise. it just takes patience.

lapushka
April 1st, 2012, 11:21 AM
I've been just above WL for it seems like... for*ever*! Don't despair. It will grow; just have a little more patience. These lengths can be awful because it can feel like you're not getting anywhere, but trust me, it's still growing! I'd wear it up and forget about it, as has been suggested before on this thread. :)

jojo
April 1st, 2012, 11:42 AM
Ive got passed the obsessed stage of growing my hair, which strangly seems to make it grow quicker! though I am seeing more progress since stopping smoking which has probably contributed!

Melanie Marie
April 1st, 2012, 11:56 AM
This seems to be the most frustrating stage for people growing out their hair. All I can say is hold out and be patient because there really isn't very much else you can do. Keep taking care of your hair and treating it well. One day you will wake up and be delightedly astonished to realize that you are at waist.

As difficult as it might be, try to not think about it as much. I've found that as I've stopped obsessing over my length that I am often pleasantly surprised by how much progress I've made. It felt like it took FOREVER to reach waist, but once you hit it you'll be surprised how quickly hip and tailbone follow after!!!

terylenerose
April 6th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Read a good book. If you get all wrapped up in, say, the people who had to leave District 8 because of the Peacekeepers, you aren't going to be thinking so much about a little thing like hair. :) (In case you can't tell, I'm reading the Hunger Games series.)
I look at my length too much too.

Kristin
April 7th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I agree with all of the suggestions you've received, especially the one to learn some new styles. There are always cute ones posted on Pinterest, and it can take awhile to crack those. And don't worry- we all went through this phase. Now I only wish I had more hair about 50&#37; of the time; the other 50%, I'm thinking, Why did I grow all this hair??? It's too much! ;)

DarkSky
April 7th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I agree with all of the suggestions you've received, especially the one to learn some new styles. There are always cute ones posted on Pinterest, and it can take awhile to crack those. And don't worry- we all went through this phase. Now I only wish I had more hair about 50&#37; of the time; the other 50%, I'm thinking, Why did I grow all this hair??? It's too much! ;)

Oh my goodness I just checked out Pintrest! You're right and I love the concept. Tons of hairspiration :D

BSL-Midback length is a brutal stretch. It took me 6 months to get out of it. I think if focus on a new aspect of your hair (other than length) it will help wisk you through this stage. Maybe try out new hair toys and styles like others have mentioned.

mzBANGBANG
April 7th, 2012, 08:01 PM
One thing that helped me stop paying attention to growth was throwing my hair in a top knot. They only look good on me while wearing dresses, so I also purchased new dresses.... voila! I was immediately out of caring about my growth and super happy with my new boho look! I hope you can find something positive to focus on, too! It made all the difference for me

Kleine Mädchen
April 7th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I'm having the same problem as well! The moment my hair hit BSL, about 3months back, it just doesn't seem like its grown at all! Definitely going to follow the suggestions of putting it up in a bun for the next 2 weeks.