PDA

View Full Version : Highlights

Cocoa_Crema
April 1st, 2012, 12:17 AM
Lately, I've been fantasizing about pretty caramel and chocolate brown highlights in my hair. My hair has been the same for over ten years. The lighter tones are fancy me for the summer.

I want to change it up, however I've never done highlights before. How much damage will I expect if my hair is essentially virgin?

I've also henna'ed and indigo? I'ver heard that I can't do anything to my hair because of this.

Thanks long haired goddesses

sfgirl
April 1st, 2012, 02:58 AM
I don't henna or anything, but I believe as long as it didn't have metallic salts in it, it can be lifted, just with some difficulty.
If you put coconut oil or conditioner (I think justgreen does that) on your hair before you get them, you shouldn't get as much damage.
I think it's important to realize lightened hair is very fragile, and you absolutely can't use heat or rough brush it.
Changing things up is one of the fun things about having hair.

afu
April 1st, 2012, 03:17 AM
I'm not sure about the henna issue im sorry. but i get bleach highlights and following advice from ktani i applied coconut oil all over my hair just before the bleaching, this chelates the effects of the peroxide and prevents damage and really worked for me. One thing i would advise is that you have it done at the hairdressers, they are experienced and you are less likely to get as much damage as froma home kit

Cocoa_Crema
April 1st, 2012, 03:14 PM
I'm not sure about the henna issue im sorry. but i get bleach highlights and following advice from ktani i applied coconut oil all over my hair just before the bleaching, this chelates the effects of the peroxide and prevents damage and really worked for me. One thing i would advise is that you have it done at the hairdressers, they are experienced and you are less likely to get as much damage as froma home kit

Thanks ladies! I work at a Salon and Spa and it's tempting not to have one of the girls put a foil in. I just want some pretty shimmer and lighter shades in my dark hair.

Should I do a coconut treatment and then clarify before I visit the salon? I don't want to scare the hairstylist with greasy hair.

Shermie Girl
April 1st, 2012, 04:14 PM
As someone who attempted to bleach away henna, I just want to caution you to be very careful. Bleach will destroy your hair before the henna is gone. You have the added complication of indigo. As indigo lifts, it turns some amazingly alarming colours, so don't let that frighten you.

Since you just want to lift your hair enough to tone caramel and light brown, you should be able to lighten your henna enough to do that without destruction. Just know that you will not get rid of the henna and you will most likely have some red/orange tones in your highlights.

My advice to you is to gather (or snip) hair and run a strand test before you move on to foiling your head. That way you know exactly what to expect from the henna, indigo and bleach and toner interaction party that you are about to throw.

Good luck and if you do it, please post pics? :D

Cocoa_Crema
April 1st, 2012, 07:33 PM
As someone who attempted to bleach away henna, I just want to caution you to be very careful. Bleach will destroy your hair before the henna is gone. You have the added complication of indigo. As indigo lifts, it turns some amazingly alarming colours, so don't let that frighten you.

Since you just want to lift your hair enough to tone caramel and light brown, you should be able to lighten your henna enough to do that without destruction. Just know that you will not get rid of the henna and you will most likely have some red/orange tones in your highlights.

My advice to you is to gather (or snip) hair and run a strand test before you move on to foiling your head. That way you know exactly what to expect from the henna, indigo and bleach and toner interaction party that you are about to throw.

Good luck and if you do it, please post pics? :D

Great idea on a strand test! I'd cry if my hair turned out to be a disaster.

I will post pics once it's done!

justgreen
April 1st, 2012, 10:17 PM
Actually my hairdresser brushes conditioner on each foil and then brushes the bleach on the roots. I usually go in with dirty hair, at least two days and longer if I can remember to NOT wash my hair before my appointment. If I can't stand it, I'll wash my bangs and my little tapered side hairs and leave the rest dirty for appointment day.

Yep a trial run is very important, especially if you've never had this done before.

Good luck and as Shermie said, post pics if you do it, please?