PDA

View Full Version : Hair toy as a weapon, on TV

Aliped
March 31st, 2012, 10:32 PM
I just watched the first episode of the TV show 'Robin Hood' on Netflix (starring Jonas Armstrong and Lucy Griffiths). In the first episode, Marion saves Robin, by pulling a metal hairstick out of her bun, and throwing it at an archer.

Just thought it was pretty cool - you don't get to see a lot of hair toys "in action" on screen. :)

Carrie Ingalls
March 31st, 2012, 10:43 PM
That is really neat. I have been told my hair is dangerous, but most folks don't think about the potential of hair toys as weapons. Though a number of men in my life have made suggestions...

Speaking of hair toys on tv shows I love all of Juliet O'hara's updos and hair toys on the show Psych. So cool to see some long hair on a strong female character.

Emy Sue
March 31st, 2012, 11:02 PM
I actually jabbed a guy in the arm with one of my hairsticks once. He wouldn't leave me alone and kept getting in my personal bubble. It drew blood. He actually could have pressed charges on me, and I am glad he didn't. But, yes, hair toys can be very viable weapons.

silverpiper
April 1st, 2012, 09:46 AM
I always thought my horn hair fork would make a good weapon - it has blunt ends but I think they are just pointy enough to do some damage.

PixxieStix
April 1st, 2012, 09:50 AM
Partly why I adore my metal hair sticks, good self defense in a sticky situation.

Vampyria
April 1st, 2012, 10:32 AM
That's a really good idea! I study at Faculty of criminal justice and security and we watched some videos of a crime scene investigations. Plus I'm reading The girl with the dragon tattoo right now (among other things it's about violence against women) so I got a little paranoid. I was thinking what objects could I use for self defense if I need it. But unfortunately my hair is not long enough for hair sticks :(

Eirelin
April 1st, 2012, 10:38 AM
Ha! Just look my avatar! I actually have 2 of them.

swearnsue
April 1st, 2012, 11:04 AM
Cool. Another great reason to grow our hair long (and acquire hair toys)

PixieKitten
April 1st, 2012, 11:37 AM
strangely enough, I saw that episode today! I'm so glad they're showing it again!! I hate it when Marion gets her hair chopped though =[
I can't wait till my hair's long enough for things like that! =D

twopoints
April 1st, 2012, 11:52 AM
Wouldn't it be more worrisome for the wearer of the hair accessory if they could be used as weapons? If you fell and landed in a wrong way on it, you could seriously injure your head and scalp.

Edit:
Also, if they were used as a weapon, you'd have to be wearing more than one because loose hair could be grabbed in a fight.

Although hair sticks (and other accessories) can be deadly, for the average person, I don't think it would be a good self-defense weapon. Accurately hitting a vulnerable area on a moving target without training would be sheer luck. And not quickly incapacitating the target would mean the other person(s) could grab the hair accessory from you and it could possibly be used against you. I think there are better alternatives like tasers and pepper spray that could be concealed on the body, carried legally, and much less likely to cause a lawsuit.

ratgirldjh
April 1st, 2012, 12:01 PM
I've seen women use hat pins in movies for self defense!

swearnsue
April 1st, 2012, 12:39 PM
Wouldn't it be more worrisome for the wearer of the hair accessory if they could be used as weapons? If you fell and landed in a wrong way on it, you could seriously injure your head and scalp.

Edit:
Also, if they were used as a weapon, you'd have to be wearing more than one because loose hair could be grabbed in a fight.

Although hair sticks (and other accessories) can be deadly, for the average person, I don't think it would be a good self-defense weapon. Accurately hitting a vulnerable area on a moving target without training would be sheer luck. And not quickly incapacitating the target would mean the other person(s) could grab the hair accessory from you and it could possibly be used against you. I think there are better alternatives like tasers and pepper spray that could be concealed on the body, carried legally, and much less likely to cause a lawsuit.

LOL it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye! Your Honor, I was sitting in the bar, minding my own business when this big bully, probably drunk, fell on my hair sticks. I want to counter sue for the cost of replacement hair sticks.

SwordWomanRiona
April 1st, 2012, 02:02 PM
Well, I've always said hairsticks can be a very effective self-defence weapon when you're lacking your sword :D.

I didn't know about these series - I've just searched for the first episode to see that hairstick scene :)! It's good to see some assertive empowering women with iniciative and resources, it was refreshing to find out that they have protrayed an active Marion in the series.
The situation in the film is perfectly possible, too...Many sticks used to have ends that were quite sharp, I think. Same for pins and brooches. Medieval Celtic law had a rule about how long the pins of the brooches had to be, because of the harm they had caused in crowded places such as markets. Handy, but I would be afraid I would harm myself or cut a chunk of my hair, they should have a protective sheath or something :D.

I do think that hairtoys such as sticks and forks can serve as useful weapons in an emergency situation. I actually carry a hairstick in my bag not only in case I want my hair up, but also just in case I have to defend myself...Although I also agree with what twopoints said, you'd need some training to hit an opponent from a distance like what happens in the series (seeing as Marion does archery, she has it, though!). And yes, there can be other self-defense objects that can cause you less trouble about lawsuits...But as a last resort, they can be effective.

ladyfey
April 1st, 2012, 02:17 PM
Xena did it first! :)

Shermie Girl
April 1st, 2012, 04:22 PM
LOL it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye! Your Honor, I was sitting in the bar, minding my own business when this big bully, probably drunk, fell on my hair sticks. I want to counter sue for the cost of replacement hair sticks.

Heh heh heh! :lol:

In one of the first episodes (maybe the first?) of Chuck the blonde spy gal uses lethal looking metal hairsticks as weapons. I only watched a few episodes all that time ago, I don't remember much about it but those hairsticks. :D

Valfreyja
April 1st, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hey, samurai used to use hairsticks as weapons, or so I've heard.

If anyone has seen the film The Hidden Blade you'll know how deadly such tiny, sharp little things can be. ;)

Elenna
April 1st, 2012, 04:31 PM
A piece of wood can easily break. Unless trained in self defense, a hair toy is not really a good defensive weapon.

I've been taking karate classes. There are lots of classes/ training/ books/ videos for self defense. It is very empowering to know how to defend yourself for real.