PDA

View Full Version : Is there something wrong with my hair..?

Kayla Nyx
March 31st, 2012, 07:04 PM
I keen noticing this on all my shed hairs when I look at them, and it's making me worried.

I don't know why it would do this, but along the piece of hair, it's thicker is some spots and thinner in others. I don't quite get why it does that, But on every single shed hair I look at, there will be thicker and thinner spots.

I remembered it in the shower the other night. I try to collect as many shed hairs as I can and stick them on the wall to throw them away once I'm done, and while I was letting my conditioner sit on my head I straightened them all out and lined them all up next to one another. They all and the variations of thicknesses. :( Is there something wrong..?

Laylah
March 31st, 2012, 07:15 PM
Some of my hair is like this, too. My hair is healthy, though, so I don't think it's something wrong.

Kaelee
March 31st, 2012, 07:29 PM
I think it's totally normal. We notice all sorts of hair related things when we pay attention to it...today I noticed that the horse I was grooming has split ends! LMAO. Only on LHC...:lol:

caadam
March 31st, 2012, 07:31 PM
lol Kayla and Laylah. Just noticed that. :) Laylah is one of my favorite names. It's Arabic, you know. ♥ Means "night."

Anyway... Kayla, I think your hair is all right. I have some hairs that are the same way, and my hair is pretty healthy! You might wanna see what some of the more knowledgeable members around here say, though. Just FYI. :D

Kayla Nyx
March 31st, 2012, 07:34 PM
kay... it just makes me nervous now. because in those thinner spots the hair snaps easier there. I dont know why the strands would do that.

jacqueline101
March 31st, 2012, 07:35 PM
My hair has different thickness in the same strand. I guess its normal.

Amber_Maiden
March 31st, 2012, 09:47 PM
No- there is nothing wrong. All hair has different thicknesses.

Kayla Nyx
April 1st, 2012, 12:58 AM
Its not just different thicknesses of different hairs. But an uneven lumpy look to one hair

Emy Sue
April 1st, 2012, 01:04 AM
Its normal. My hair does this, too... (except for the silver ones, lol) I have slightly curly hair, and I didn't know if it was from the curls until I asked my cosmetologist cousin and she assured me that it's normal for most people. She said that the thicker parts are the "active" growth cycle where the hair grows faster, and the thin parts are the "incative" growth cycle- where it grows much, much slower and more forced. Made sense to me.

skaempfer
April 1st, 2012, 01:05 AM
Its not just different thicknesses of different hairs. But an uneven lumpy look to one hair

I have a lot of different types of hair (fine/coarse, straighter/wavier, even different colors, nearly black to nearly blond, some very red ones...) and the ones that have that sort of thick-thin thing going on are always the waviest ones. So I'm guessing this is a trait of curly hairs?

ravenreed
April 1st, 2012, 01:25 AM
I think this is a wavy hair thing. It's sort of like a curled ribbon where you can see some parts sideways so those look thinner, but the part you see straight on looks fatter. But because we are wavies and not curlies, there is less of a pattern to it. That is my theory anyway.

kidari
April 1st, 2012, 02:18 AM
My hair is like that. Some parts are coarse and wiry and lumpy and others are thin and smooth and straight.

PolarCathy
April 1st, 2012, 02:26 AM
My hair is like that. Some parts are coarse and wiry and lumpy and others are thin and smooth and straight.

Ditto. I guess it's normal. ;)

afu
April 1st, 2012, 03:20 AM
i think everyones hair is like that to an extent, especially curly hair. if its extreme however it could indicate some damage

Idun
April 1st, 2012, 03:28 AM
I have to say, my hair is not like that. It´s actually pretty uniform alle the way, unless a strand is damaged. However, all the hairs are thicker near the scalp and goes gradually thinner near the ends. This isn´t something I can see or feel, but I know from measuring the strands.

skaempfer
April 1st, 2012, 03:40 AM
I have to say, my hair is not like that. Itīs actually pretty uniform alle the way, unless a strand is damaged. However, all the hairs are thicker near the scalp and goes gradually thinner near the ends. This isnīt something I can see or feel, but I know from measuring the strands.

You're a 1b. That's why yours are smooth.

I don't think your actual hairs are thinner at the end; it's just natural taper because some of your hairs haven't grown that long yet. I think we all have that at least a bit, some more than others.

Idun
April 1st, 2012, 03:55 AM
So itīs something typical of curly/wavy hair?

No, I mean that every strand tapers slightly. This is probably due to general wear and tear from combing etc. :)

krisbb
April 1st, 2012, 07:28 AM
[/QUOTE] and while I was letting my conditioner sit on my head I straightened them all out and lined them all up next to one another. They all and the variations of thicknesses. :( Is there something wrong..?[/QUOTE]

I just had to giggle at this part. It sounds like something I would do and then worry about. ;)

Kayla Nyx
April 1st, 2012, 07:51 AM
whew, thanks guys. I can see how the thicker parts could be the more active growth cycle and the thinner parts the slower, I've guessed that before. Interesting the to think of it like a ribbon. Its odd though, because my top layer is stick straight until it hits APL, and then starts to curl into the ringlets I once had :D but even my straight hairs do this.

MissAlida
April 1st, 2012, 08:02 AM
I have hairs that are perfectly even all the way down to the tips, and others, that seem coarse to the touch and have variations in thickness. A year ago when I had a very stressful period, I yanked these coarse hair strands out. I ended up with an almost bald patch around my crown area. The stress reduced, and I stopped yanking my hair out. Now it's grown back (tough I was afraid I damaged the follicles and I'd end up with a bald patch) and it's grown back the same it was: alternating thickness on the same strand. I learned from my mistake and now I take and love my hair as it is, coarse or not. I am on the wavy/curly side by the way.:rolleyes:

bumblebums
April 1st, 2012, 08:13 AM
Hair is at its thickest in the middle of its life cycle. Link to an article that discusses it:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2133.1997.d01-1161.x/abstract

Abstract:

Change in size of the hair shaft with distance from the scalp has been investigated, using a rotatory profile method of diameter measurement, in terminal human scalp hair of long–haired young Caucasian women. As the whole length of hairs having completed anagen are rarely found intact, two types of hair were investigated: those including segments produced at the onset of anagen (‘anagen hairs’), and those including segments produced at the end of anagen (‘telogen hairs’). In addition, a method of determining the cause of any size variation has been described and employed. Changes were found in the major axis of the hair cross–section, cross–sectional area and ellipticity with distance from the scalp, while the minor cross–sectional axis remained constant. It was established that these changes were the result of intrafollicular rather than extrafollicular mechanisms. Finally, a composite picture of the cross–sectional size and shape of the ‘average’ whole anagen hair of the study has been constructed. From the distal tip towards the scalp for approximately 6–8 cm, there was an abrupt increase in size, representing a starting–up phase of early anagen. Following this, the hair was at its greatest cross–sectional size and ellipticity which then progressively decreased through anagen (20% decrease for cross–sectional area and 13% for ellipticity). In contrast, the minor axis of the hair cross–section, remained constant throughout anagen. The hair was not therefore a uniformly sized cylinder. It was approximately spear–shaped, being broadened out in one plane distally where it was more elliptical. Subsequently as anagen progressed the hair shaft became smaller and more circular.

PixxieStix
April 1st, 2012, 10:08 AM
It's pretty normal. I mean, my hair is 1A/1B, so most of my hair strands are fairly uniform, but the coarse hairs (and the ONE curly one I have) all vary in thickness down the strand length.

I found this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLqIsDZD5b0) to be particularly helpful in helping me to understand about hair growth, cycles, and why some people have curly or straight hair.

marioma
April 2nd, 2012, 05:16 AM
i have these strands to , my dermatologist told me the cause is either stress or dehydration , if the wiry part is only at ends i think it's damage if not it's stress or dehydration .

hototogisu
April 2nd, 2012, 07:59 AM
I have patches of honest-to-goodness kinky hair. They're tiny, only 15-20 hairs per patch, but I showed one to a friend with very curly hair and she laughed because the rest of my hair is basically straight. My kinky hairs look the way you describe, with varying thickness. I'm kind of fascinated by them, but I wish my hair would just decide to be one texture! I'd love big, thick, wild curls. Sigh.

ravenreed
April 2nd, 2012, 01:14 PM
I have quite a few though, and they do it all the way to the root. This is why I suspect it is normal for some of my hairs to be thinner and straighter, and some to be coarser and wavier. It is only the coarser hairs that look bumpy. They also feel different. Like the scales are more pronounced or something. I suspect this is why my hair tangles so darned easily. No matter how nice I am to it, I have some velcro hairs in there mucking up the works. :cool:

i have these strands to , my dermatologist told me the cause is either stress or dehydration , if the wiry part is only at ends i think it's damage if not it's stress or dehydration .

Kayla Nyx
April 4th, 2012, 09:32 PM
thanks guys!