PDA

View Full Version : For those who sometimes fantasize about a short cut...

Annibelle
March 31st, 2012, 12:28 PM
I know this is a site designed for those trying to achieve longer lengths, but does anyone else sometimes want shorter hair?

I have lately. :) I have two teachers who have beautiful short hair-- each has hair just a bit above SL. One of them has gorgeous ringlets, and the other has baby fine, pin straight hair. They both look so cute with their short cuts! I wonder if I would look cute with shorter hair, too...

My own fantasies stem from my sad reality of thin ends that start at APL. I often wonder if my hair would look better shorter. I also wonder if I would be wavier shorter, or if I wouldn't be as wavy.

I'm almost tempted to cut... almost. But then I'll see a photo that makes my hair look pretty (even though 9 out of 10 make me cringe). Or I'll remember that SO prefers long hair. (So do I.) Or I'll remember the regret I feel every time I cut my hair. :doh:

But it sure is nice to fantasize sometimes! Who's with me? What shorter length do you sometimes wish you had, and why? :D

Hollyfire3
March 31st, 2012, 12:32 PM
Right at SL or a bit below, that awkward stage between SL and APL, Picket Fences reruns make me wonder if my hair would look like Kimberly's at that length, the texture looks EXACTLY the same (blow dried straight with volume as if the hair naturally has waves before blow drying) and i sometimes just want to cut all of the straightening damage OFF and let my curls grow back in full and beautiful (but then i would have hair that is 4 inches long) yeah, 4 inches of new growth, i think i will wait to chop, if i ever do, for a LONG while.....

ludwig20
March 31st, 2012, 12:32 PM
There are times when I braid my hair or put it up in a bun and notice how nice short hair would look.... Pixie cuts are lovely! But I haven't had long (waist length) hair in YEARS so I resist the temptation. :)

afu
March 31st, 2012, 01:01 PM
i frequently go through phases of wanting a very short pixie, ive never had short hair. My SO always seems to be able to convince me otherwise, he prefers it long and i think i know deep down it suits me better longer so i let myself be convinced!

PixieKitten
March 31st, 2012, 01:07 PM
Ugh. I miss my red pixie so much, I loved it so much and everyone (aside from my short-hair-hating-mother) said how well it suited my face and personality. I still get the urge to lop it all off, but it wouldn't be the same brown, and I'd have to straighten it every day >.< I've never had hair longer than mid back, so I'm fantasising more about hip length at the moment! =D

alyanna
March 31st, 2012, 01:26 PM
I totally hear ya!

I love bobs on me, in between chin and shoulder. I definitely don't like shorter than that. But with a bob in that length I can refresh my look every 6 weeks and look slightly different each time. It also means that I can dye and highlight, no problem, because I trim the damage off frequently. Also, I only need whatever 2-in-1 is lying around or an sls-free shampoo and no conditioner. Finally, blow-drying take under 5 minutes and air-drying is a breeze. So I can wear it curly or pin straight and change-up my look.

There are cons too though. Shorter hair is intolerant of grease. I have to wash every other day at least. When it's humid, I'm forced to wear it curly, which means POOF and not always the kind of look I'd like to go for. Also, it attracts more attention to the top of my head, where my hair's thinnest, since there isn't much length to look at.

And by the way, my hair loses curl the shorter it gets...

Annibelle
March 31st, 2012, 02:04 PM
I'm afraid mine would lose wave shorter, too, alyanna. :( If I knew my hair would get WAVIER if I cut it, I probably would. But... when I look at my hair and visually cut it to shoulder, there's only one wave, and that looks more like a ponytail bump. :taz: I really adore short curly hair!!!

finzi
March 31st, 2012, 02:12 PM
I am so torn between long hair and short hair! My hair is quite fine and when it's long I feel it can look a little "blah". Last October I cut it from waist length to halfway between my chin and shoulder. I LOVED having a bit of shape and body to my hair but really missed the length. I'm growing it out again and it's a good few inches longer than it was in October. Already I can see it becoming flat and boring. :( I've started to dry it in pin curls after every wash. This helps with the volume and gives me a bit of shape. I think I'll go the hairdresser in a month or so and ask her to do something with my bangs so that when it's down it doesn't just hang there. I'd quite like a long layer in the front. Ugh. The grass is always greener, right?!

BlazingHeart
March 31st, 2012, 02:44 PM
While I enjoy long hair, I miss the ease of my short hair. I wore it between cheekbone and collarbone for a few years, and really liked it.

barely.there
March 31st, 2012, 02:59 PM
I miss my short hair sometimes (3")....so easy to take care of. dont need to style it. just mess it up and go. however, i looked like a boy. so if i wanted to attract men, i needed to grow it out.

not saying that all women with short hair look like boys. my mom has very short hair and shes cute.

now that my hair is APL, I do love it. I feel so elegant :D

Tia2010
March 31st, 2012, 03:01 PM
I'm really starting to like my longer (not really long yet) hair and I think I will absolutely love it at hip :D BUT some days I put on a outfit and can almost see my pixie again! I really liked it and dh did too. :D

flourish
March 31st, 2012, 03:06 PM
Personally I wish I could have around chin-length, but that'll never happen--my hair is too curly to look good at that length. It just puffs up into a huge dandelion looking tangle of hair. I've shaved my head and had a pixie before, and they were lovely, but there's almost nothing you can do with lengths that short---long hair you can play with to fake shorter hair, but not the other way around.

mrs_coffee
March 31st, 2012, 04:00 PM
I like my longer hair, but I loved my pixie cut too. If I get tired of having it long I'll do a big dramatic chop back to pixie. That would be fun.

turtlelover
March 31st, 2012, 05:15 PM
I constantly think about cutting it, because it is much, much easier to handle really short, but as soon as I did, I would miss it and wish it were longer again. I'm trying to find a happy medium where I have hair that feels long-ish, but I am not overwhelmed by the maintenance.

spookyghost
March 31st, 2012, 05:53 PM
Through out the years I have always wished I looked good in short hair but I dont. And when I tell you I dont look good in short hair, I really dont. Short hair is not an option for me. I dont have the face for it. I look like a boy-big time! But I love when I see a woman with short hair look so awesome-its just not me!!:D

Amber_Maiden
March 31st, 2012, 05:56 PM
Yep, sometimes I fantasize about it- then realize that I always hated shorter hair and that I always looked better with long hair! :p

Annibelle
March 31st, 2012, 07:03 PM
See, aside from my SO, everyone else thought I looked much better with short hair. When I cut from hip to pixie in 10th grade, my best friend was shocked! But then she saw it and said how surprised she was that it looked so good, and I looked better than ever. I don't know if I looked better with short hair... I did look better with bangs, I think, but that's not really an option for me now. I need all the thickness I can get, and besides, I have pesky cowlicks that make bangs awful on me. Grrr.

Anyway... still dreamin' of that shorter hair... :sigh: :p

elbow chic
March 31st, 2012, 07:32 PM
Oh man, all the time. Chin-length bobs are a weakness of mine. You know how sleek and perfect they can look! One of the girls at my husband's work has kind of an asymmetrical bob that makes her look... fast. Unfortunately on me it always turns out to be more like wearing a floofy yellow can-can skirt, on my head. I just don't do fast or sleek, it seems. :laugh:

Plus I'd never keep up with the salon visits. If I couldn't be arsed with it as a single girl, it's DEFINITELY not going to happen now.

Another tempting one is a layered deal around APL. I actually liked that cut a lot, and the upkeep was not quite as demanding. So if/when I get tired of the long one-length thing maybe I'll go back to that. :D

Or get some layers put in around BSL? Ah possibilities. For now I am amusing myself by pinning it in ever-more-peculiar ways. ;)

kidari
March 31st, 2012, 08:46 PM
I understand. I think my hair looks best between APL and BSL. Currently I want to cut it to APL everyday. I'm back at MBL right now but I am thinking I may cut to a solid BSL this month maybe.

mrs_coffee
March 31st, 2012, 09:42 PM
See, aside from my SO, everyone else thought I looked much better with short hair.

Brent loves my hair short. This cut is his favorite, kind of a grown-out pixie/shag, and is what I will likely go back to if I decide to do the big chop.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm215/tackyblueeyeshadow/Me_RCR.jpg

kidari
March 31st, 2012, 09:45 PM
Brent loves my hair short. This cut is his favorite, kind of a grown-out pixie/shag, and is what I will likely go back to if I decide to do the big chop.

That looks fabulous on you!

Lici1209
April 2nd, 2012, 09:10 AM
A cute pixie cut :D I've had it pretty short like that, but it was my own cutting...it wasn't as cute as some of the ones I see around! The problem is I don't like to style my hair, so I don't think it would work for me >.<

millyaulait
April 2nd, 2012, 09:31 AM
I do, too! :)

It seems that whenever I have short hair, I hate it & want it long.
When I have long hair, I want a short, sharp haircut.

I have a serious weakness for slick, sharp, black bobs.. *wibbles*

Long_hair_bear
April 2nd, 2012, 09:44 AM
Not for me! I hated the way I looked in short hair! Never again! I cut it to shoulder length February of 2011 and it's taking me forever to grow back. :(

racrane
April 2nd, 2012, 10:59 AM
I loved how I looked when I had a chin length bob. However, that was when I was skinnny and when I'm a little heavier like now I prefer longer hair.

jeanniet
April 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Not really--my hair needs the weight to keep it manageable. If it's shorter, it gets really wild, and if I can't put it up it's a nightmare. With the wind we have around here, I'd have to wear a hat all the time to keep it in check!

CarpeDM
April 2nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
I do miss my short hair, it was so easy and I could wear it down all the time...

QueenMadge
April 2nd, 2012, 11:48 AM
I used to have fond memories of short cuts. With my hair, it has to be really short which translates into frequent trims and I am just not willing to do that anymore.

jacqueline101
April 2nd, 2012, 12:01 PM
I sort of liked my shag from 2008. It was easy to take care of.

XcaliburGirl
April 2nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
I liked my hair in the short bob I had in November. If it wasn't for the trimming maintenance, I might have kept it for a while. I hate going to get my hair cut, though, and after 5 weeks it always looked messy in the back. I know I will be tempted to cut it again in the future, but the grow-out is just to painful to keep doing over and over again.

alyanna
April 2nd, 2012, 08:51 PM

Love this cut mrs_coffee!!!

I had it a few years back and LOVED it. For some reason, my stylist was never able to replicate it.

joflakes
April 3rd, 2012, 12:57 AM
I have a chin length cut and it is driving me mad. Everyone tells me how much short hair suits my petite figure and face but I just want it to grow already! I can almost do a ponytail without the bottom bits coming out...I think it'll be another month before I can do it for real though.

Long hairs, you can always fake short hair but without a lot of damage us shorties can't fake long!

Seeshami
April 3rd, 2012, 01:32 AM
Fun experiments with hair:
You will need one head band and possibly a hair tie.

When I "fake" cut my hair as a joke I put it in a pony tail on the back of my head and then flip the pony tail so my ends are infront of my face. Using the head band to hold your hair down so it's a mess in your face. Then you can arrange it to look like a short cut, pulling it from under the band or stuffing it back under to get various lengths. I am sure there are ways to make it look good on the back to but for my pranks it's completely unneeded. I think I have a picture in my album. My hair is red and it looks like I have face framing layers, unless you look really closely at my part it's pretty convincing.

Edit: my album is fake hair cut less. So I will dig and try to find the pictures or when my hair is dry we'll just pull a late April fools joke on my poor innocent Facebook friends. I could fake color it purple too on this one to really freak them out. We'll have to see how devious I feel.

Bagginslover
April 3rd, 2012, 02:59 AM
Wanting to chop my hair brought me here in the first place! I wanted to chop back to a short at the back, longer at the front bob ( does that have a proper name?!) but my boyfriend wasn't happy about the idea. I've had it that short, and shorter before, but not quite pixie short, and he's seen pics, and doesn't like them. Honestly, I don't like them either, but it doesn't stop me thinking about it still!

MinderMutsig
April 3rd, 2012, 03:55 AM
Get a wig! Or get more than one wig in different, short styles and colors. Then you can have that cute bob or that punky fun colored hairstyle and keep your long hair. You could even get a wig with longer hair than you have now.

I remember reading somewhere that Igor had the same desire every now and then and she recommended getting wigs to fulfill the craving. Her hair is knee-length now. There is no reason you can't have both.

Lippytoes
April 3rd, 2012, 03:57 AM
The shortest my hair's been was a chin-length bob, which wasn't really the best look for me. I love my long hair! But I do get occasional cravings for really, really short hair - as in, short-short pixie cut - just to see what it would look like. Maybe I'll do it one day, but for now, I have to keep reminding myself that I've felt more like me the longer my hair has grown...

Bagginslover
April 3rd, 2012, 04:05 AM
That's a good point about wigs....I have a few already! I have a dark ginger bobbed one (think Gillian Anderson in X-Files, bought it to cosplay her ;) ) and a long blonde one I used for another cosplay. I'm about to buy a super short black one to cosplay Jacob from Twilight, but I'm sure it will look awful on me!

schweedie
April 3rd, 2012, 04:15 AM
I've actually been thinking a lot about shorter hair the past couple of weeks. Not really short, but, say, a couple of inches below shoulder. I've always really liked that length - short enough to be easily managable when worn down, but long enough to at least be able to do braids. (I love the look of twin French or Dutch braids at that length.) It's probably the length I'll go back to when I eventually do cut back, which I think I will at some point. Although I'd miss the buns.

Not yet, though! I've made a deal with myself that I'm going to get to my goal length and maintain there for a while, and then possibly consider chopping if I still want to by that time.

summergreen
April 3rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
I do think - a lot - about cutting back to BSL. If I could be sure it would give me more volume I might actually do it...but I'd probably regret it straight away.

Wigs are a great idea!

XcaliburGirl
April 3rd, 2012, 12:33 PM
For me, a wig wouldn't help at all. It's not the look of short hair I like, it's the fact that I don't have to have my hair up, but it still doesn't get in my way. It feels nice to not have any tension at all and to be able to run my fingers through it. Also, quick washing and drying.

(I am finally getting close to shoulder now, so there's no way I am cutting it.)

NymphSpirit
April 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
I used to! Now that my hair is longer and I'm more into the whole "being as natural as possible" thingy I just never want to cut it again, not even trimming :p but when it was a bit shorter I fantasized about short, spiky, red hair, I don't know, I still think it's a fantastic hairstyle, but I can't imagine myself with it anymore, you know? (And also short hair makes me look older, and I'm kinda trying to avoid that, after 4 years of loving it :o)

KrystalPixie
April 23rd, 2012, 01:48 PM
It is so quick to cut the hairs but to grow them takes forever. I never dreamed of a pixie but I had to do it cause my hair was fried :( so now I am trying to let it grow.

spidermom
April 23rd, 2012, 01:53 PM
Because of it's volume (bushy!), my hair works best either extra-long or extra-short. Since I can achieve a look similar to extra-short by putting my hair up, I think I'll keep it extra-long.