PDA

View Full Version : Those with fast-growing hair...

CharleaMurphy
March 31st, 2012, 10:47 AM
...Don't seem to realise how lucky they are.
I hear them complain of how they have to go to the Salon every few weeks and their styles grow out too quickly.
BUT they're lucky because if they get a bad cut it grows out fast, unlike people like me who had a chin length cut and 3 years later are barely at BSL ;p
Does your hair grow fast/slow and do you like the speed at which it grows?

DancingQueen
March 31st, 2012, 10:51 AM
I wish my hair would grow a little faster too. I think it might grow slower than average. But I know exactly what you mean, just like those with gorgeous, thick hair always have it thinned out.

ChloeDharma
March 31st, 2012, 10:54 AM
They do say the grass is always greener...

Years ago i had fast growing hair that i kept in a short bob and coloured blonde. I used to moan that my roots would show so quickly and the cut would get messy quickly. Thankfully i worked in a salon or that would have cost a fortune to maintain.

Since then obviously my goals changed and i'd kill for my old growth rate and thickness.
Really we have to just learn to be gratefull for what we do have and not put too much energy into mourning what we don't. :)

Copasetic
March 31st, 2012, 11:00 AM
My hair grows pretty fast, and I have never complained about it! I don't keep my hair short or maintain a particular hair cut, so having hair that grows quickly has never been an issue for me.

StubbornLocks
March 31st, 2012, 11:14 AM
It sometimes suprises me that people complain that their hair does not grow at all and then when you go on reading it turns out that by "not growing" they mean half an inch a month lol. My mother's hair grows very fast and she is not happy with it because she does not like touching up the roots. Well, my hair grows about 1/10 inch a month. I bet my hair is the slowest here on LHC! It has probably always been so and the proof is that I tend to forget when was the last time I had it cut (as this happens maybe less than every two years) lol!

sarelis
March 31st, 2012, 11:24 AM
It's certainly a mixed blessing! Mine grows silly fast during the spring & summer which is great, except that 2 weeks after a dye job I have 1/2 inch of roots! Gah!!

Words
March 31st, 2012, 11:24 AM
My hair grows 2 cm (almost an inch) every month. I'm happy with that :)

StubbornLocks
March 31st, 2012, 11:31 AM
It's certainly a mixed blessing! Mine grows silly fast during the spring & summer which is great, except that 2 weeks after a dye job I have 1/2 inch of roots! Gah!!

Sarelis, that must be a pain to touch up the roots so often! Is the demarcation line visible a lot? And have you thought about not dying your hair due to the fast growth?

Valfreyja
March 31st, 2012, 11:36 AM
By LHC standards it sounds as though mine does grow on the slow side, at around 1cm (0.393 inches) per month. Oddly though, this is what people say is the average hair growth rate where I'm at. :ponder: It gets really disheartening when my friend (who has really FAST growing hair) says something like "Hey, I thought you said you were going to grow your hair?" and I HAVE been growing my hair! :(

Otherwise it doesn't bother me, one needs to be patient while growing out anyway and my hair goal isn't so extreme for now.

sarelis
March 31st, 2012, 11:40 AM
Sarelis, that must be a pain to touch up the roots so often! Is the demarcation line visible a lot? And have you thought about not dying your hair due to the fast growth?

Yes it's a real pain! Especially as my hair is dyed dark tulip by directions & my natural ashy blah colour just looks like grey against it! It really needed doing again just 2 weeks after, but the process is so messy I just couldn't be bothered so am now 3 weeks after dye & trying to do as many swept back styles as I can just to disguise my roots. I have thought about growing out my natural colour, but as I have been dying since my mid teens I just find my colour very dull compared to the shades I can get with dye. It's not so bad in winter, I can go up t about 3 weeks still looking half decent but we have been having a heat wave! It's not just the hair on my head that grows quickly either, to have smooth legs I have to shave every day lol

LoveAngelBeauty
March 31st, 2012, 11:53 AM
It sometimes suprises me that people complain that their hair does not grow at all and then when you go on reading it turns out that by "not growing" they mean half an inch a month lol. My mother's hair grows very fast and she is not happy with it because she does not like touching up the roots. Well, my hair grows about 1/10 inch a month. I bet my hair is the slowest here on LHC! It has probably always been so and the proof is that I tend to forget when was the last time I had it cut (as this happens maybe less than every two years) lol!

Lol. I agree. I'm not sure how fast my hair grows because it tangles and knots up easily and is kind of on the fine, fragile side....but judging from some strands I've measured my hair grows about average to a bit faster than average. I think without trimming and good care I'd get more than 6 inches a year.

torrilin
March 31st, 2012, 12:01 PM
I hear them complain of how they have to go to the Salon every few weeks and their styles grow out too quickly.
BUT they're lucky because if they get a bad cut it grows out fast, unlike people like me who had a chin length cut and 3 years later are barely at BSL ;p

*shrug*

For me, chin to BSL would be somewhere in the 18 months to 2 years range, if everything went absolutely perfectly. But my hair is fine, and thus it splits easily and is quite fragile. So it'd be pretty unusual for me to hit the shortest possible time for any given growth marker, and quite a lot of the time even if I do manage the shortest possible time, my hair has grown so fast I can't actually manage it. I usually end up maintaining for quite a while when I hit a new milestone, while I work out a new routine. It usually works out that I take as long or longer than the very slowest growers to get used to that new milestone too... so the growth rate isn't really a huge advantage.

As long as I stick with stuff my hair is good at, I'm very happy. My hair is good at being straight, flat, sun-bleached, long, floaty and staticky, prone to split ends, and attacking everyone in sight. So I lovingly coax it into updos and let it be as long as I can manage, and it is not bad to deal with.

The fastest way for me to be unhappy with my hair is to wish it'd do something it's not suited to. Uniform color and not floaty are the two I wish for most usually, and it's just not going to happen.

TiffanieJean
March 31st, 2012, 12:40 PM
My hair used to have average growth. I never really measured, but it didn't exactly grow fast. I started using Jojoba Oil last fall and I think it has helped to make my hair grow faster than it did before. I have also added in Castor and Almond Oil to my hair masks. It's made a world of difference to my hair!

spidermom
March 31st, 2012, 01:13 PM
My hair grows just a little bit faster than average. I fantasize about having faster-growing hair, but I don't think I'd appreciate it all that much. As it is sometimes new length takes a lot of adjustment. Suddenly my old standby styles don't work anymore, and I want to tear my hair in frustration.

I have an acquaintance who can go from shoulder length to hip length in 12-18 months. And no, she's not short and petite. Her hair grows very fast.

buttercupmcgee
March 31st, 2012, 01:56 PM
There are a multitude of factors that go into this...for example, when I was dying my hair blonde and had it in a choppy bob, it felt like every time I turned around I had to re-dye or re- shape it. I thought I had very fast growing hair at the time. Now that it's virgin, at apl aiming for mid-back (and I'm waiting for it to grow instead of trying to maintain a short stylized cut) it feels like molasses. People have different criteria, as well as measuring techniques.

BlazingHeart
March 31st, 2012, 02:54 PM
My hair tends to grow very quickly, and I have always liked that. I can go from cheekbone length to waist in about 18 months, if my health is good.

CharleaMurphy
March 31st, 2012, 03:16 PM

It took me 2 years to get from chin length to shoulder length, and at a guess I'd say it grows an inch every 4 or 5 months.

MinderMutsig
March 31st, 2012, 03:24 PM
Does your hair grow fast/slow and do you like the speed at which it grows? They are only lucky if they want to grow their hair. If you want to maintain a length and hairstyle, fast growing hair is just as much of a curse as slow growing hair is for those who want to grow it out. And a costly one too with all those extra trips to the salon!

CharleaMurphy
March 31st, 2012, 03:27 PM
They are only lucky if they want to grow their hair. If you want to maintain a length and hairstyle, fast growing hair is just as much of a curse as slow growing hair is for those who want to grow it out. And a costly one too with all those extra trips to the salon!

I see your point, but I'd still rather have fast growing hair than slow growing hair :D

Ravenwind
March 31st, 2012, 03:44 PM
Now that my hair is healthy it has been growing a lot faster. I think sometimes it has growth spurts too (not sure if that can really happen, but some days I noticed my hair has gotten a lot longer) plus I've been taking Hair Skin and Nails supplements which really help too. I love it.

MinderMutsig
March 31st, 2012, 03:47 PM
I see your point, but I'd still rather have fast growing hair than slow growing hair :D That's because you want to grow it out. ;) I understand, waiting for it to grow is like watching paint dry. It takes forever!

Have you actually measured your growth over a period of several months? It may not be as slow as you perceive it to be. I've heard people say they have slow growing hair on here a lot and you wouldn't be the first to actually have above average hair growth while thinking you have slow growth. The only way to know for sure is to measure it for a couple of months to a year.

MinderMutsig
March 31st, 2012, 03:54 PM
Now that my hair is healthy it has been growing a lot faster. I think sometimes it has growth spurts too (not sure if that can really happen, but some days I noticed my hair has gotten a lot longer) plus I've been taking Hair Skin and Nails supplements which really help too. I love it. That is definitely possible!

On average my hair grows pretty fast but I go through major stalls and growth spurts every year. My hair grows fastest during autumn/winter. In the spring I shed like a dog and during the summer stall for months. And I mean stall, no growth whatsoever. Then in autumn the first thing that happens is my shorter hairs catch up and my hair thickens up again while I don't really notice measurable length gain and then during winter my hair grows like a weed.

I grow about 15-17 cm a year not including my quarterly trims of about 1.5 cm so my estimate is that I grow about 20 cm a year. That's a little over 8.5" and most of that is grown exclusively during the winter months.

Mrsbaybeegurl
March 31st, 2012, 04:09 PM
My hair grows pretty slow. I used henna 4 weeks ago and still have no roots at all...NONE usually I only henna 2-4 times a year, or whenever I have about an inch to two of roots. The crazy thing about my hair is it truly won't budge for months and then that one (or even two inches) will literally pop up in a matter of days. It's like a super long chin hair that you see on your face and KNOW it wasn't there yesterday because it's huge and you have never even seen it growing in lol!!! :p

Since joining LHC my hair has grown about an inch and a half which sounds great and I do believe it has to do with some of the care I have been taking with it, but that inch and a half was also the only growth I had between November until now, so even though I just joined a little over a month ago...it still averages out to an inch and half in 5 months :(

I'm hoping the warmer weather gives me some much needed growth and perhaps it won't stall out this time and will just keep growing!!

There was a time in my life when I hadn't cut my hair in over two years and it seriously stayed at APL that entire two years and I have picts to prove it. That was years and years ago when I was a smoker with poor eating habits and a lot of stress and never took any kind of vitamins, and treated my hair pretty harsh with coloring and ripped knots out with a brush daily....but looking back I never even realized my hair didn't grow until now. Which is funny because I would have gone insane if I was trying to grow my hair and didn't see it budge in 2 years LOL!! So I guess I should be grateful and can keep praying it gets better now that I'm a LHC-er and have added going no heat to my regime just a month ago :)

Helix
March 31st, 2012, 04:19 PM
Not sure if my growth is fast or not. I've gone from having an assymetrical bob with the shortest layers above my ears to about an inch to 1/2 inch away from BSL (25 inches) in 2years 8 months.

It isn't a race, I'm just trying to get to a destination. All I do know is that any growth is a step in the right direction.

Amber_Maiden
March 31st, 2012, 06:02 PM
It can grow fast- up to 2in a month, but sometimes it doesn't grow at all- and I mean ZERO growth. I'd prefer it if it grew fats, and never had zero growth some months.

Deborah
March 31st, 2012, 06:10 PM
My hair grows really fast, always has. When I was a child my Mum complained because she had to cut so often, and could not keep me in bangs. I like that it grows fast, but I can see that it could be a pain if you wanted short hair or bangs, or if you colored your hair. Those would never work for me, but since I don't want them, all is well.

Keep in mind that this is a long hair list. Since everyone here wants long hair, they of course would like it to grow quickly. In real life not everyone wants long hair.

Isa Ferrara
March 31st, 2012, 07:18 PM
Long hair is only awesome if you're trying to grow it out.

I LOVE short hair on me - but I'm growing it out because I just CANNOT keep up with it. I don't know for sure, but I know my hair grows about a foot and a half a year. So, now it's cool. A few weeks ago it was frustrating and expensive. Good thing I like long hair too.

Also remember that it means, usually, that your leg, armpits, bikini line/pubic hair - they ALL grow fast too. Especially in those summer months that some (including me) want to be hair-free. GRRRR. Lol. Electrolysis here I come, since I'm saving so much money on not maintaining my henna fauxhawk. :D

jacqueline101
March 31st, 2012, 07:46 PM
I'm not sure where mine fits in slow or fast. I'd like to find a cure for unruly hair that does grow then stops and starts.

kidari
March 31st, 2012, 08:41 PM
I used to not like it because I had to touch up my roots so often. Also, I love complicated haircuts on me so it was expensive to constantly go in for nice haircuts. Another thing is my hair grows fast but it seems to grow very unevenly and the ends get damaged pretty fast. So even though I get fast growth it seems to slow down once it reaches BSL and I'm forced to trim often because of uneven growth and weak hair resulting in dried out scraggly ends. I am thankful though, because it only took a year to go from a short bob to beyond APL and less than a year to grow out all of my ombre bleach highlighting damage.

blondie9912
April 1st, 2012, 12:07 AM
Good thread idea! I have average growing hair, 0.5 inches per month. Lately, however, I feel like it's been growing slower (winter stall just passed and all that). I'm quite positive my hair grows faster in the summer, because I doubt a diet of fresh fruit, increased exercise/outdoor time, and 10 hours of sleep nightly can be bad for hair growth :p

I wish my hair grew faster, like 0.75 inches a month and maybe an inch per month in the summer. I think it would be gratifying to see progress sooner, and it would be nice to be able to gain length while trimming away my layers... Oh well, a girl can dream.

elthia
April 5th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I used to think my hair grew fast...but I never measured it. LOL. Of course that was when I was trying to maintain a pixie, and I had to keep it trimmed every 4 weeks. I did go from just below chin length Nov of 2010 to BSL by Feb 2012. Hopefully I'll be waist by the end of this year.

bunzfan
April 5th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I think mine does grow faster than average i've gone from APL-Waist in about 18 months .

longcurlygirl<3
April 5th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Wow, my sister and I grow our hair fast! I mean in 3 years I went from apl to (if I wouldn't had cut it 3 times it'd be like classic). Since I started frowing in '09 I was apl it grow like to above my boobs and my hair dresser cut it back to apl1 Which was like 6inches in '10! Then last year '11 I cut maybe 3 inches maybe 4. Now this past saturday it was 2-3 inches. My pre-LHC hair of being straightened 4 times is gone! And my hair is waist now, at curly, streched it's hip!

I tell my sister she is lucky but she nags how her hair grows fast no joke her hair grows like gradd she cut it bsl with laters in December and now it's mid-back to waistish! Ahe even had tailbone at 11 by not cutting for two years and started at apl!

We are lucky to have my dad's genes, while my mom's hair grows average :p my sister actually envies the slow-growers haha no one is satisfied!

Honeyfall
April 5th, 2012, 03:29 PM
It always drives me crazy when people complain about speedy growth - or something equally enviable like thick hair or naturally having a striking color. That's like complaining about never gaining weight or having really long legs! Sure there is a downside, but plenty of people would consider it minimal and totally worth it.

I do agree that keeping up with roots would get annoying, and potentially expensive, but I suspect that many people who bemoan fast growth are really just looking for attention.

leslissocool
April 5th, 2012, 03:35 PM
My hair grows faster than average (1 to 1 1/2 inch a month) I love it :cheese:.

I think diet and hair for me go hand in hand, when I don't have as much protein it just NEVER grows!

Carissamarie08
April 5th, 2012, 07:40 PM
my hair grows so slow...i thinks its only grown an inch since december..

MaryRose
April 5th, 2012, 08:05 PM
When I was maintaining a pixie cut, I complained because my hair grew fast which forced me to the salon once a month. I was always told my hair grew fast. Now that I am trying to grow to waist, my hair seems to be taking for ever. My hair grows an average 8 inches a year. I guess we will always complain when our hair does not do what we plan.

catamonica
April 5th, 2012, 08:13 PM
My hair grows slow. It grew fast in 2009. Fourteen inches to my waist. When I used horse
shampoo. In November 2011 I started wearing it in a braided bun. It started growing again.
In march 2012 It grew from past waist to hip. Buns promte growth.

icallitbliss
April 5th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Long hair is only awesome if you're trying to grow it out.

I LOVE short hair on me - but I'm growing it out because I just CANNOT keep up with it. I don't know for sure, but I know my hair grows about a foot and a half a year. So, now it's cool. A few weeks ago it was frustrating and expensive. Good thing I like long hair too.

Also remember that it means, usually, that your leg, armpits, bikini line/pubic hair - they ALL grow fast too. Especially in those summer months that some (including me) want to be hair-free. GRRRR. Lol. Electrolysis here I come, since I'm saving so much money on not maintaining my henna fauxhawk. :D

I thought that leg/armpits/bikini line/pubic hair grow way faster than the hair on your head? Cause it's not the same kinda hair? IDK.

metricfuture
April 5th, 2012, 09:35 PM
My growth seems pretty average, around 7 inches a year (though I was pretty rough on it for the first few months, old habits die hard). But I have a friend with amazing hair that grows insanely fast. I never really paid attention to it before I joined, but she's had 4 haircuts in the last year, and each time she gets a few inches past hip and gets it cut back to waist. EVERY TIME. I can't say I'm jealous of her growth, though. Her hair is beautiful, but it's M/C and at least an iii if not a iv. I understand her frustrations with the sheer volume of hair she's dealing with. I think it looks incredible, but I'm far to lazy to contend with that kind of upkeep on a daily basis.

Alissaa23
June 5th, 2012, 04:31 PM
My hair grows almost an inch a month. I love it on my head but it's annoying when you feel like you have to shave every twelve hours to have smooth legs. It's embarrassing to go even one day without shaving. They say you should pluck brows once a week but by day three or four mine look horrendous. Nails grow fast too, which is good if one breaks too short but annoying when I'm worried my toenails look too long! I have more body hair than most people though, or it's coarser at least (ironic since my hair on my head is so fine).

Zesty
June 5th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I think my hair grows somewhat slower than normal, but since I try not to obsess about measuring etc. it's kind of hard to say. I believe it's grown about 4-5 inches since last year. :shrug: I should start thinking of it as cultivating patience. And since my hair has some lovely traits like thickness and body, I'm not going to start complaining. Though I may someday cave to the monistat temptation... :eyebrows:

lundmir
June 5th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Mine grows about an inch per month, which is above average. Although it seems to grow faster in the heat, since I grew a whole cm in just a week. I could tell because I bleached my roots.

Tisiloves
June 5th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I only grow .5 inch a month and I still get a bit annoyed about how often I have to trim my fringe.

Nedertane
June 5th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure if mine is faster than average or not. I had highlights put in around Memorial Day last year, and there seems to be an average 7" "root difference" (I say an average, because it seems like the highlights start further up or down in some places than others). So, that would mean a slightly above average growth rate, right? But I feel like when I measure between cuts with the LHC method, I only see what amounts to a .5" growth rate, though that could be due to the breakage I still deal with (to a lesser extent, at least!) :o.

It may have to do with the seasons though. Like a lot of people, I think I get a faster growth rate in the spring and summer.

Indigostreams
June 5th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I'm wondering if any of you notice a correlation between protein intake and hair growth? Like the whey protein thread talks about. For example, do those of you who say that your hair is slower-growing know if maybe you don't consume as much protein as your friends who have fast growing hair might?
Obviously, the main thing which effects growth rate may be genetics, but maybe protein really effects it also? I'm currently experimenting with this by drinking 2 whey protein powder drinks and one brown rice powder drink a day.

blondie9912
June 5th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I wish my hair grew quickly as well! I used to get about 0.5 inches per month, but since September 2011 it seems to have been more like 0.4 inches per month due to lack of sleep, stress, lack of exercise, etc. Hopefully with summer coming around and school finishing up I can speed up my growth rate!

prettyhairisred
June 5th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I actually DO have slow growing hair! Haha exactly a year since I got my high lights and I have about 5 inches of root. In a whole year! God knows how I managed to get to length and beyond :P it's so hard to grow!!!!

julierockhead
June 5th, 2012, 07:49 PM
My hair grows faster than the average .5 inch per month. When I had short hair it was aggravating but now that I am growing it, it is pretty cool. Castor oil scalp treatments and MSM and a good diet have pushed my growth to over an inch a month. I like experimenting with a change every couple of months to see if I can get it growing even faster. I plan on adding a chelated multi-mineral with silica after my summer growth spurt (if I have one).

lmfbs
June 5th, 2012, 08:57 PM
My hair grows 1 - 2+ inches per month. I grew 2.8 inches from March to April, and have grown 1.2 inches in the last 2 weeks (summer here)

I can shave my legs and have it forest like in 24 hours, if I don't shave my pits twice a day, you notice it, and I get bikini waxes every 10 days.

I can grow a chin lenth bob to BSL in 6-8 months - but it's a nightmare keeping any sort of hairstyle, which is a huge reason why I'm growing my hair. As a kid, I had a fringe, and my mum would trim it every week or it would be in my eyes.

I think protein and fats have a lot to do with it, I eat 80-120g of protein a day and lots of good fats.

lmfbs
June 5th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Oops, I can't edit. I just realised it's actually 6 days into winter here, but the temperatures, until today, have been pretty mild.

bubblyredhead
June 5th, 2012, 09:24 PM
In about 3 years I went form just barely shoulder to waist while still cutting between 8 and 12 inches if not more. When I did dye my hair i would have the same issues as others with 1/2 inch of roots within 2 weeks and i HATE roots showing so i normally re-did it every week.

MinderMutsig
June 6th, 2012, 02:09 AM
I actually DO have slow growing hair! Haha exactly a year since I got my high lights and I have about 5 inches of root. In a whole year! God knows how I managed to get to length and beyond :P it's so hard to grow!!!! That's not slow growing at all, in fact I'd say it is perfectly average. I know we here all say average is 0.5 inch per month but in metric they say 1 cm, which is actually slightly less than 0.5 inch. 12 cm is 4.7 inch, which is what you have.

Slow growing would be half that, and believe me it happens. You have nothing to worry about.

PolarCathy
June 6th, 2012, 02:34 AM
My hair grows 1 - 2+ inches per month. (...)

I can grow a chin lenth bob to BSL in 6-8 months - but it's a nightmare keeping any sort of hairstyle, which is a huge reason why I'm growing my hair. As a kid, I had a fringe, and my mum would trim it every week or it would be in my eyes.

I think protein and fats have a lot to do with it, I eat 80-120g of protein a day and lots of good fats.

That's nothing! There was a new member here (forgot who) stating that sometimes she gets bad haircuts I think up to shoulder and she grows it back to BSL in "weeks". It was just a few days ago.

:D :D

I hope it is clear that I'm being cynical here.

luxepiggy
June 6th, 2012, 02:48 AM
My growth rate is right around the average of half an inch per month. Now that I colour my hair, I really wish it would slow down! I'm a little OCD about visible regrowth (^(oo)^)v

lmfbs
June 6th, 2012, 02:52 AM
That's nothing! There was a new member here (forgot who) stating that sometimes she gets bad haircuts I think up to shoulder and she grows it back to BSL in "weeks". It was just a few days ago.

:D :D

I hope it is clear that I'm being cynical here.

Well, thanks for calling me a liar.

SongofLove
June 6th, 2012, 02:56 AM
I don't actually measure so I don't know how fast I grow...

But yeah, doesn't it seem like fringe hair grows faster because you don't want it to? :p

Charybdis
June 6th, 2012, 03:07 AM
My hair is generally fast-growing, although it's been a little slower this past year due to stress and being forgetful about my vitamins. Fast growth at the roots is one of the reasons I decided to give up hair dye (that and letting my silvers come in naturally). I like the freedom to experiment with haircuts that comes with fast growth, but like MinderMutsig said, it gets expensive if you're trying to keep up dye and a shorter cut.

Tisiloves
June 6th, 2012, 03:24 AM
I don't actually measure so I don't know how fast I grow...

But yeah, doesn't it seem like fringe hair grows faster because you don't want it to? :p

I always seem to end up cutting more fringe than fringe has grown (I dye and I always seem to cut more off the bottom than is above the dye line at the top).

PolarCathy
June 6th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Well, thanks for calling me a liar.

If you posted that too - no reason for me to apologize. Even though you said that word and I haven't.

I withheld my comment then, and now I commented. I don't think I'm the only one seriously doubting such statements. I'm probably the only one saying it though!

lmfbs
June 6th, 2012, 03:56 AM
If you posted that too - no reason for me to apologize. Even though you said that word and I haven't.

I withheld my comment then, and now I commented. I don't think I'm the only one seriously doubting such statements. I'm probably the only one saying it though!

My growth comes with hormone imbalances and a blood condition. I don't blame you for doubting what I'm saying, my only complaint is the way you went about it.

/end

Servana
June 6th, 2012, 04:15 AM
My hair grows very fast, but only when I want it to. It's really weird. A lot of the time, I will ask the hairdresser to cut off half an inch, but instead she'll cut off about 3 inches. My hair will go from being waist length to bsl, & i'll be totally devastated. From then on, i'll be constantly thinking about my hair, absolutely willing it to grow. I never actually do anything to it to make it grow (because I think all you can really do is make sure it isn't damaged & that you aren't malnourished), but once I want it to grow, it will really grow.

It sounds crazy I know, but my hair will have grown back to waist-length within 2 weeks. Always 2 weeks. Somehow I always cut my hair 2 weeks before school starts & by the time it starts my hair will look like it wasn't cut at all. I guess my mind is just really powerful, because this is the only time of the year my hair grows. I like to maintain it at waist length, & only cut it twice a year. Once my hair is waist length, it hardly grows at all. This is good. It grows when I want it to, & doesn't when I don't want it to. I am very lucky & it sounds unbelievable, but it's just how it is for me. I am short though, so that must make some difference.

pink.sara
June 6th, 2012, 04:50 AM
This thread has put me in a sulk.

After growing my hair consciously with only a few teeny trims for 3 years I'm still not BSL.

And that's not breakage either. And I get WAY more than the 1gram of protein per pound of bodyweight recommended a day as I weight train. And I've used Monistat. And oils. And scalp massage. And vitamins and Biotin. :angry:

And it's not like I've got some kind of illness... my nails need trimming every week, bodyhair gets shaved daily. Sadly the mole on my cheek sprouts a new Witchy hair every week....

And it used to (in my mid 20's) grow an inch a month. Now it struggles for 6 inches a year, and some years I get 3-4 inches.

I tell myself that as it's fine but there's an absolute shedload of it, it just takes the same amount of effort to grow this much hair 1cm as a ii would take to grow 1inch.
Scientifically, it's probably a lie. But it makes me feel better!

catamonica
June 11th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I wish my hair grew faster. Since I have been wearing a braided bun, since November 2011, It
grew four inches in March to hip. Hopefully It wil grow some more.

dollyfish
June 11th, 2012, 01:04 PM
My hair grows very fast, but only when I want it to. It's really weird. A lot of the time, I will ask the hairdresser to cut off half an inch, but instead she'll cut off about 3 inches. My hair will go from being waist length to bsl, & i'll be totally devastated. From then on, i'll be constantly thinking about my hair, absolutely willing it to grow. I never actually do anything to it to make it grow (because I think all you can really do is make sure it isn't damaged & that you aren't malnourished), but once I want it to grow, it will really grow.

You're Harry Potter! :magic:

cooklaezo13
June 11th, 2012, 01:21 PM
My hair grows the average .5 inches a month, about six inches in a year. I'm happy with my growth rate, but the way that some LHC members hair grows an inch a month or more makes me a little jealous sometimes.

Vanille_
June 11th, 2012, 01:25 PM
My hair grows fairly quick. I've been asked what my "secret" is, but I'm sad to have no answer. I take for granted my luck, I know. I've had two or three "big cuts." I never even hesitated because I knew it'd grow out fast enough.

swearnsue
June 11th, 2012, 01:27 PM
When I first joined LHC I measured often (won't even admit to HOW often) and my hair barely grew 1/2 inch a month but more than 1/4 inch. Then with protein and vitamins, massage, oils, DE and positive thinking I'm getting just a bit over 1/2 inch a month average, almost 3/4 inch if I pull my hair really hard when I'm measuring! So my hair grows fast but it takes alot of work, for me anything over 1/2 inch a month is fast. My expectations are a little lower because of my age.

PriscillaCherel
June 11th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I think I have fast growing hair, my shortest hair was at my nose last year july and now it is a bit over shoulder lenght.. almost a year of growth.. I think i'm a fast grower?

Elanadi
June 11th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I think I'm a fast(er) grower, my hair usually goes from chin length to waist length in 4 years. That's about half an inch a month? I am super grateful, and I do not take it for granted. When I grow it out, I do keep it pulled back and braided. I remember reading somewhere that helps stimulate the follicles so hair can grow faster. I don't know if that is true or not, but that is what I do when I am growing, and it seems to work for me. But sometimes I think my hair just SEEMS longer because I rarely have it down, lol!

Audrey Horne
June 11th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I thought mine was average lhc growth but nopie, according to this thread I'm actually almost a snail...

cmg
June 11th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Growth rate and length gain doesnt always go hand in hand.

My hair grows 1 - 2+ inches per month. I grew 2.8 inches from March to April, and have grown 1.2 inches in the last 2 weeks (summer here)

My mom had to do this too. Why would someone seriously doubt this? I have no problem whith this because plenty of people here on LHC have stated similar growth rates and also because my own hair grows very fast like that. It grows somewhere between 1,5 - 3 inches per month depending on what time of the year it is. I can clearly see this, because there is a big contrast between the henna/henndigo and the white roots. I would have to do my roots every week (especially during winter) if it werent curly and I can mask it a little by combing it differently. Unfortunately, it doesent actually become longer at the same rate. :( It just fades away at the other end. The past twenty years or so while I mistreated my hair it either went shorter or it stayed the same length. Really sad state of affairs. The last two years since I started avoiding harsh hair styling and silicones etc it has at least started to grow longer again. I dont know if it will ever reach knee length like when I was younger, but I will give it a good try :) I think it gains 15-18 cm per year or so. Not sure because I do microtrims every other week and its been some time since I last measured. It took nearly 1½ year from chin to past BSL (also at the same time: from flat ironed/flat permed towards curly!). There's no race. It will take the time it takes. I love the quality it has now! I never expected that during my lifetime :p

Nails grow very fast too.

/ CMG

based goddess
June 11th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Mine grows pretty quickly, styles growing out is a pain but like the OP said, the advantages are lovely!
Plus, if a hairdresser cuts off a tiny bit too much length, I DO feel like murdering their entire family but at least it grows out fairly quickly.

natural_shine
June 11th, 2012, 08:06 PM

If I cut it pixie, one year of growth with no trims- it's at least BSL.

I once cut it to a very short bob, chin, and than I started tormenting it dyeing it on and off, red, brunette, finally lemon-blonde... the damn thing was few inches past BSL by the end of the year ( with 2 trims), it grew like a weed, despite of me torturing it, and it was shiny and kickin'.

I had a big chop recently to cut some dye out, it's a mess, but by the end of the year it will be great. :guns:

P.S.- I'm REALLYYYY curious what my hair's terminal lenght is.

juicy-glitter
June 11th, 2012, 08:15 PM
My hair currently grows 1/3" a month......and I hate it!!!!:angry: Im still growing out straightner/highlight damage too, so Its like all my growth just disappears.....:magic:

Then theirs the boyfriend who has 1 1/2" -2" a month hair growth!!! and he likes the buzz cut.... doesn't realize how lucky he is.

myHairGrowth
June 11th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I think my hair grows only an avg growth of half inch a month and its slow during winter.

Astraea
June 12th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Everyone in my family are hair and nails growth monsters. Unless I'm nutrition starved it's 1-2+" a month and my nails are creepy long again in no time flat. A friend dubbed me nosferatu because she swore my hair and nails did vampire-grow overnight and an ex- was the same way, even with the beard which was awful.

I see people mentioning products, manipulation and season/weather as slowing otherwise fast growth and someone on another board even mentioned constipation but does anyone note a slowdown due to dietary changes or deficiencies?

Iolanthe13
June 13th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Maybe I should start keeping track of my length, haha. It feels like I have 1/4" of roots a week after henna-ing, but that would be a lot of growth. I think my damaged ends are breaking off at more or less the same rate! I can't complain too much about my body hair, but my nails do get out of control pretty quickly - and they're so tough it's difficult to file them down.

Wayuki
June 13th, 2012, 08:08 AM
I get about 4 inches of growth a year, maybe 5 if I'm lucky... So that seems relatively slow.

I've been taking vitamins, changed up my diet, but to no avail so far. :undecided

Oh well, at least I can away with dyeing less often. :o

Zenjam
June 14th, 2012, 07:28 AM
My oldest sisters hair grows SO fast and is really really thick! My own hair grows sooo slow and its also very thin.
She always complain of that she has to cut her hair every month and get it thinned out. But I always says to her, that its easier to cut her hair, than to grow my hair.

Sometimes im wondering why hér hair grows so much faster when we have the same mom and dad.

nobeltonya
June 14th, 2012, 08:49 AM
My hair seems to grow at about 0.75" a month, b/c I'm gaining on average 0.5" with trims.. I guess it's alright, but I'm ready to be at classic already. Only about 2.75" to go.. :rolling:

Stacey21
June 14th, 2012, 09:02 AM

My hair is exactly the same! *sigh* and some months I seriously notice no growth at all! I long for fast growing hair! :pray:

Ookami
June 14th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I never really measured but seem to grow 0.5'' a month but that's with the few thinning/trims done in the last year so most likely more...
To give an idea, was May 2011 very short a few millimetres (just checked old pictures, could find one from the 01-05-2011, and I'm ultra short) and I'm shoulder length now...
... Everyone considers me as a fast nail and hair grower, but from what I read some are far more blessed than me!!
When I kept my hair very short, I decided to have a hair trimmer because I was growing out of the cut in no time :D

Now I'm just finding my hair slow to grow when it actually largely grew out of end April 2012 hairdresser cut (my mum wasn't too happy of my big fluffy hair ball for my brother's wedding :D) and my partner who struggles to grow his hair doesn't want to share Holland Barrett Skin hair nails supplements for some reason...

It's clearly an advantage to me and never complained about it but most guys would hate this as for a short cut it involves constant cutting.

Lady Neeva
June 14th, 2012, 10:30 AM
My growth has dramatically slowed due to dieting. But It's not my main concern. Greasy roots is.

longNred
June 14th, 2012, 10:44 AM
... just like those with gorgeous, thick hair always have it thinned out.

I am guilty of this. for YEARS, I always asked my hairdresser to do layers, to thin it out. My hair was just so heavy! of course, I wasn't caring for it properly then - washing alot, sticking it up in a sloppy heavy bun w/ elastics, etc... I also asked my hairdresser to "cut it shorter than usual" because it grew so damn fast and I wanted my cut to last longer. I no longer do these things... in fact, my hairdresser (still the same one) knows she's lucky to see me for a trim once a year at this point. Now that I'm older (um, WISER) I treat it better, learned styles to distribute weight properly and be comfortable, and am enjoying growing it... I think it grows at a normal rate MOST of the year (.5-.75"/mth), maybe a little faster in the warmer summer months.

Tisiloves
June 14th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Sometimes im wondering why h&#233;r hair grows so much faster when we have the same mom and dad.

Put simply, you have different growth rates for the same reason you have any other differences, genetic material is randomly divided between gametes, so you both have been randomly assigned half of each parent's genes and she obviously has one/both for fast, thick hair growth (ignoring, of course factors in gene expression, etc.).:cheese:

gonzobird
June 14th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Mine grows just under an inch a month. It used to grow a little less than that. This is what Ive been doing differently for the last year or so... (Ive always been a super healthy eater. Lots of veggies and fruits...Organic, because so much of my diet consists of these that its better to do organic when I consume so many fruits and veggies.)

Vitamins. Real vitamins. Look on the back of your vitamins. If it says "as this or as that" next to the actual vitamin, it is a chemical version of they the real vitamin Example... Niacin: (as Niacinamide) Your body doesn't know what to do with this stuff. So its not so good for you. I take New Chapter Organics Vitamins. They are real, food grade vitamins.I take b complex, calcium, Womens Daily, omega 7 and their fish oils. (twice as much as recommended on the fish oil)

I just started taking these....http://www.lovelula.com/pd-terra-nova-beauty-complex-100-caps.cfm

I tried MSM from whole foods in the past and made me feel shaky and weird. This one doesn't.

Drink lots of water! Stay hydrated. Exercise. DONT USE HEAT ON YOUR HAIR! Thats not a direct way to grow... but if you don't have damaged hair, you don't need to trim it.

:)

Puertoricangirl
July 4th, 2012, 04:51 PM
My hair grows fast but since I am obsessing about my goal to waist length it feels like it is taking forever! I need to take my mind off of it but I am newly addicted to LHC! Everyone seems to want what they don't have unfortunately...:confused:

SurferB
July 4th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Yes, and yes! I don't mind changing styles.. I love change.

Diamond.Eyes
July 4th, 2012, 06:02 PM
My hair grows twice as much or more than the average rate and I'm not complaining. :flower:

CurlyCurves
July 4th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I always had an inkling my hair grows fast, but I wasn't sure.

Now I am tracking it, I am realising it DOES grow fast. I grew .5" (from 8.5" to 9") in two weeks in June! Not sure about the rest of the month, though, as I didn't check. Next length check is on the 11th, so I'll find out if I grew more after that.

Also, my hair was pretty short in April, just past SL, and now it's APL.

Look at my bangs (which were one BIG mistake, I ALWAYS do this);

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/168873_4282280135643_2074027090_n.jpg

And this was my hair in April (sorry it's not a proper length check pic, I didn't know I was gonna grow my hair out then);

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/396026_4272531211926_1819731649_n.jpg

And this was the other day;

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/480317_4279716151545_166344296_n.jpg

I also made this, but I'm not sure if there was some human error in the taking of the second photo.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/399383_4273409913893_1894795889_n.jpg

As you can see, I'm currently obsessed with checking my growth rate :rollin:

caadam
July 4th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I certainly never complain about how quickly my hair grows. :D And I realize how lucky I am compared to some people who have slower growth rates than myself.

The only thing I whine about is not finding the perfect conditioner, dangit. lol Well, for me. :p

Rufflebutt
July 4th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Oh my god, I agree so much. XP I wish my hair would just grooooow. But it's so slow..

neko_kawaii
July 4th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I've never bothered to maintain a short hair style because I knew I could not afford the constant hair cuts. It doesn't grow extremely fast but it does go from 0 to waist in about three years, which averages to .8 a month. I've been keeping track of my growth for the past 8 months and the average rate is .7 though it looks like I might be getting the summer growth spurts others have mentioned so it will be interesting to see what my average growth rate is when all 12 months are past.

Quixotica
July 4th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I'm a fast grower. I went from a 1/4" pixie to BSL in just under 3 years. I LOVE IT. :) I know how lucky I am! My mom's hair is the same way.

catamonica
July 6th, 2012, 01:27 PM
My hair stayed at waist for two years. Started wearing it up in November 2011. By March it grew four inches to hip. It grows slow. Hopefully, It will continue to grow.

ladylowtide
July 6th, 2012, 01:44 PM
My hair grows in spurts. But it averages to about 8 inches a year, which is over .5 a month. But some months it won't grow at all, and other it grows almost an inch, so IDK. I feel like when I have less stress going on my hair grows its best.

My hair growing in spurts, I do not attribute to incorrect measuring, because I have very straight hair, and a person to help me measure it.

MissManda
July 6th, 2012, 01:52 PM
My hair grows pretty fast and I've always liked it. My parents and hairdressers often complained about bangs, perms, or short styles growing out so quickly, but it didn't really bother me that much since I didn't really want those things anyway. I do henna my hair, but it doesn't look too different from my natural color, so I can go a couple of months without worrying about it too much. Since I'm also petite with fast-growing hair, that means that I reach my length goals very quickly since I've gone from upper-back to hip length in less than a year with trims included.

The one issue that I have with it is that my growth speed means that updos can quickly become unstable, messy, or impossible within a short period of time, which can be annoying when I'm in a hurry.

Other than that, though, I feel very lucky that my hair grows this fast and hope that it doesn't slow down anytime soon.

blaketob
July 6th, 2012, 01:58 PM
My hair grows slow.. even all over. My eye brows only need to get waxed like twice a year :p which I'm deff not complaining about but my hair grows a little below avg. It grew like 4.5 inches in a year with trims. My hair didn't grow at all though when I wasn't taking care of it and using heat products all the time so I'm happy with the rate for now. I just wish it would be a little faster!

Kleine Mädchen
July 6th, 2012, 02:09 PM
My hair grows at a pretty average length at about 1/2 inch per month. The one thing that annoys me is that I cannot stand getting to BSL because every time I get to that point (at least 4 times that I can remember) it doesn't seem to grow for about 4 months! Its so discouraging but all you can do is wait it out. Does anyone else have this problem?

Winnie!
July 6th, 2012, 04:59 PM
According to my measuring tape I get the average half an inch a month. :p Of course, it really never seems to move farther down my body. Maybe I'm being too obsessive though. :shrug:

spirals
July 7th, 2012, 12:42 AM
If my bangs are any indication, I get 3/4" a month. So I should be to waist when straight by Christmas. I'm one of those people who thins the ends.

Allychan
July 7th, 2012, 04:06 AM
The only complaint I have about having hair grow faster, is the amount of effort that goes into henndigo'ing it. I try and do mine once a month, but if I leave it for two it just looks wrong:( I do the two part henndigo, ie put henna on wash out then apply indigo.

Mesmerise
July 7th, 2012, 06:17 AM
I admit that I want super fast growing hair... but I also know what a PITA it would be having to henna twice as often to cover my roots! If I grew 1" a month, my regrowth would look nasty after just two weeks ;).

Then again, if I grew 1" a month or over I might just decide to shave it all off and go renegray because it wouldn't take me sooo many years to grow back again :D.

RileyJane
July 7th, 2012, 07:55 AM
My hair depends on what I'm doin to it. If its colored, and heat damaged, it will grow maybe an inch in 5 months . But if I'm taking extra care of it, no heat damage and I really make sure split ends are non existent, then it'll grow an inch a month :p I personally wish when I was treating it nicely it would grow extremely fast

lundmir
July 7th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I love red hair, on others and on myself. I adore it! But I got really, really fed up of having to do my roots so often. I hate the process of bleaching, then dying, then henna. It is a lot of work and I hate it.

Plus, the color I dye it doesn't last me too long, and the henna color, while lovely, makes me look ghastly. So I colored it my natural shade once again.

I love that it grows so fast, but I want it red too. I feel like I'm going to get bored of my virgin hair and dye again and repeat the cycle.

CaranDulin
July 7th, 2012, 07:35 PM
My hair grew from shoulder length to 2" above my tailbone in 2 years. Does that make me qualify?

MrsGuther
July 7th, 2012, 08:21 PM
My hair grows 2/3 an inch per month. I like my hair growth rate. :)

smartblonde21
July 7th, 2012, 08:53 PM
My hair used to grow extremely fast when I lived at home. When I went to college, I started eating unhealthy and stressing out a lot. That really slowed my growth =/. It only grew like 5-6 inches a year at that point. Then I started eating protein bars, which probably filled in a nutritional gap, and my growth rate increased. I stopped eating the bars, my growth decreased. Began eating them again a month ago, growth increased. I'm seeing a trend here =).

gthlvrmx
July 7th, 2012, 09:07 PM
My hair grows now at about an inch per month and i still feel its too slow >.< in general i dont think hair grows THAT fast anyways, its a lot of patience to let it grow to a desired length.

palaeoqueen
July 9th, 2012, 04:50 AM
My growth rate seems to be 0.75" per month, which is a bit above average, however... I've not been measuring it for long (since May) so this could easily be a fluke or a summer growth spurt. I'll have a much better idea after a year's growing and measuring. I have always felt like my hair grows quite quickly but it could just be perception as I used to keep it in shorter styles.