PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil help please!

CurlySasha
March 31st, 2012, 09:17 AM
Hi :)
I was just wondering how you use olive oil?
As a pre-wash soak? As a leave-in conditioner?
How much of it?
How long do you leave it in?
How do wash it to ensure your hair doesn't look greasy?
Thanks!

Smiley Sunshine
March 31st, 2012, 09:26 AM
When I use it (not that often as I find doing it to much makes my hair greasy) I use it after shampoo-ing and before my conditioner. I put it only on my ends adn find it helps with getting it out if I slather it in 'commercial' conditioner.

My hair doesn't seem to split as much, and its really soft and shiney when I do it! Yay! :cheese::D:cheese::D

CurlySasha
March 31st, 2012, 09:28 AM
Great, thanks! I love using it on my ends :) I would love to find a way to use it all over for super-shiny hair :D

CurlySasha
March 31st, 2012, 10:00 AM
Does anyone else have a suggestion? Something to mix it with maybe?

ChloeDharma
March 31st, 2012, 10:31 AM
I don't usually use olive oil but i do use a variety of others. I'd say try it as a pre-wash soak first of all so that you get to see how it is on your hair but knowing you'll be washing it off anyway. A minimum of one hour to soak in but overnight is good.

Other ways you could use it.....well you could add small amounts (anything from drops to a teaspoon) to deep conditioner recipes. You could put a small amount in a mister with water etc to spray your hair with. Obviously you could try a light oiling after washing too.

Really just view it as any other oil and just experiment to find what suits you best.

Good luck :)

Madora
March 31st, 2012, 10:38 AM
I do an EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) treatment once a month, the day after washing.

I use a little less than 1/4 of a cup of Bertolli extra virgin olive oil on dry hair. It is poured into a shallow bowl, then I use my fingers to apply the oil to my hair (ears on down). When I'm finished my hair is damp but not dripping with oil. I braid it loosely and pin it in a bun on my head, then cover all the hair with 3 sheets of cling wrap (Saran wrap) and then shampoo and condition as usual the next day.

Leaves my hair soft and with hardly any tangles. Hair feels great and there is no after scent of olive oil.

Personally speaking, I would NOT recommend adding anything to the olive oil, if you're going to use it. Also, I found out that with olive oil "less is more".

gatodelasenora
March 31st, 2012, 10:44 AM
Try Olive oil spray (in the ethnic hair care section). It comes out as a fine mist. you can use it for overall finish and shine. My hair is curly, so after wash, condition, I spray with the olive oil mist, brush through, scrunch, then finish with a light spray of aussie spray gel. To go straight with a flat iron, I lightly mist the major section (when I first section off my hair into 6 sections), brush through, then flat iron. It glides through nicely. If you are concerned about sticking to organic, there are spray bottles (like pampered chef) you can put your own oil in, pump it to build pressure, then it comes out like a fine aerosol mist as well...
Hope this helps.

CurlySasha
March 31st, 2012, 11:16 AM
Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I'm going to apply it all over my hair for a couple of hours and see what happens :D

white.chocolate
March 31st, 2012, 12:02 PM
How you use it depends on what you require and how you like it on your hair. For me, because I find it too heavy I use EVOO for deep conditioning (which I no longer do) and for misting my hair. For the latter, I add a couple of drops of EVOO, drops of some other oils and water.

ratgirldjh
March 31st, 2012, 12:17 PM
When I use it I do a light oiling and leave it on for overnight and as long as possible the next day. It seems like the longer I leave it on the more it soaks on and breaks down - so it is easier to remove with my washing methods (poo bar, clay).

I oil my scalp first by putting a little bit maybe 1/4 teaspoon in a ceramic dish and warming it slightly and then stick my fingers in it and oil my scalp and massage it into my scalp.

I take the rest of the oil that is left and rub it between my palms and wipe it down my hair like Heidi shows in her BBB video and I lightly oil the ends too. Then I brush throughly with my BBB and put it up for the night.

The next day I will wash my hair like normal. If I put too much it will require more than one wash so I try and use the least amount possible and still get results. Also if I use a lot my hair is a little limp after.

Olive oil is kind of heavy for my hair and usually I use sesame/coconut oil with herbs infused it in since I find it easier to remove and not as heavy.

Bunnysaur
March 31st, 2012, 02:13 PM
I have it mixed with both my shampoo and conditioner, and if my hair needs some extra help being detangled I'll rub a little into my wooden comb. It's a little heavy, so I always make sure to wash it out really well.

Laylah
March 31st, 2012, 02:24 PM
I use olive oil as both a pre-wash soak and a leave in conditioner. For a pre-wash soak I use enough to make my hair "stringy" and saturated but not dripping or anything. Then I braid it in multiple braids, usually 2 or 4, leave it overnight and wash it out the next day. I use regular shampoo and conditioner and it removes the oil completely. For a leave in conditioner I part my hair down the middle and work with half of it at a time. I rub a nickel sized amount of oil between my hands and put it on my hair starting from the ends up to my shoulder. Then I comb it through and repeat with the other side. It makes my hair soft, shiny, and weighs it down just a bit so I don't the puffy triangular look, but not heavy or greasy.

edit: Curlysasha, I just saw your second post. I like to mix olive oil with shea butter as a leave in conditioner. I use about a cubic half inch of shea for each half of my hair. That said shea butter is also pretty heavy stuff so I would caution anyone with fine or straight hair. It's also pretty expensive, unfortunately, so after I ran out I didn't buy it again and haven't used it for months. It's really nice though.

BlazingHeart
March 31st, 2012, 02:48 PM
Olive oil and I don't get along. No matter how little I use, I end up greasy and have a terrible time getting it out. Coconut oil is much better for me.

Maelyssa
March 31st, 2012, 03:10 PM
Personally, I've used warm olive oil to soak my hair as a deep treatment that I then shampoo out and follow with conditioner. It on occasion when I'm out of other oils I've applied a small am out to my length for extra c onditioning and shine.

CurlySasha
March 31st, 2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, I did a deep conditioning treatment with it and my hair looks great! If you have anything else to say, I'd love to hear it :D

MissHair
March 31st, 2012, 07:54 PM
Great tips everyone, I've never used olive oil on my hair. I always say Im gonna try it but I never do for some reason. Im gonna try this tonight after CO-washing.

lovinglocks
March 31st, 2012, 08:16 PM
I love olive oil. I use other oils too, but before washing my hair I'll oil my hair from root to end and leave it on my hair for a few hours if I was my hair at night, or over night if I'm washing my hair in the morning. Then after washing I'll put a tiny bit in my hair, it doesn't leave my hair looking greasy as I don't put too much in.