PDA

View Full Version : 'Burlesque' Hair styles for chin length hair?

sunshine-locks
March 31st, 2012, 05:41 AM
My school ball is coming up, and the theme this year is burlesque. I really don't know much about that, so I kinda need some help- What kind of hair styles could I do with my chin length hair that would be deemed 'burlesque' or glamorous? Any tips on how to achieve them would be highly appreciated! :)

CharleaMurphy
March 31st, 2012, 06:03 AM
Obviously with your hair length you are limited, but I think a Marilyn Monroe style would work well and look very glam. I've seen numerous YouTube tutorials on it so you could try look there :)

sunshine-locks
March 31st, 2012, 06:07 AM

barely.there
March 31st, 2012, 07:10 AM
Try watching some Burlesque movies. (I like them :D) like Chicago, Moulin rouge, Burlesque...I know there are more but i cant think of any :P Very entertaining. Tons of hair ideas.

jacqueline101
March 31st, 2012, 07:52 AM
Marilyn monroe or a shorter page boy type style.

alyanna
March 31st, 2012, 08:08 AM
I've worn this type of look several times in my life, since my hair texture and curl type seems to lend itself to that style. Your starting point is a chin length bob.

I've had it angled, where the back was very layered and voluminous, and I've worn it where it was mostly one length and then the ends are slightly "choppy", usually achieved with slight razoring.

I usually wore mine au natural. But for events, I would use any kind of rollers and set my hair while it was damp. Put mousse in first. You have to leave them all day, until the hair is completely dry. Then just separate the curls slightly with your fingers. The "set" look gives that old school look to the style. Then spray.

You can also twist small sections of hair and bobby pin them in place. Same method of above. Mousse on damp hair then spray when dry.

For me though, it's the right haircut that achieves this look, even more so than how you style it. If you're not averse to the idea, you can trim your nape a bit to even out your hair into a bob. I'd suggest Rene Zellwegger in Chicago as an inspiration.

hototogisu
March 31st, 2012, 08:18 AM
It's funny, I'm heading to a costume party tonight and my hair is currently rolled on magnetic rollers, ready for a 1960s Joan Holloway type updo.

If you're after vintage styles, I'm OBSESSED with Lisa Freemont's tutorials (http://www.youtube.com/user/LisaFreemontStreet/featured). A lot of older vintage styles, particularly 1930s styles, were done on shorter hair. If I were you I'd do small, very sculpted pincurls and throw on a birdcage veil.

Siiri
March 31st, 2012, 09:10 AM
PrimpedPreenNPeachy on Youtube has some nice vintage hair tutorials for short hair. She has a little longer than chin length hair, but I think the styles would work on shorter hair too. She has a good pin curl tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PrimpedPreenNPeachy/videos?sort=dd&view=0&page=1

summerstarlet
April 1st, 2012, 11:03 PM
I think finger waves would look great on chin length hair.

zombi
April 1st, 2012, 11:53 PM
Yeah, fingerwaves would look great -- IF you know how to do them. Fingerwaving is frankly not the easiest thing in the world to learn to do on yourself on short notice! The fingerwave of the '30s, that looser, fluffier fingerwave, can be mimicked by putting your hair in a horizontal wave by pincurling. So you can always try that!

A common style and easy in the '20s and '30s was just having a bob and wearing it straight. Example: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kNo1dXol7a4/TOpNaiiqlwI/AAAAAAAAB_8/CsBLKU0a1KY/s1600/colleen-moore-late-1920s.jpg

sunshine-locks
April 3rd, 2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks heaps everyone! I have heaps of ideas now and I'll try a few tonight :)

teela1978
April 3rd, 2012, 11:19 PM
The associations in my head with "burlesque" would not be appropriate for a school dance...

sunshine-locks
April 5th, 2012, 03:04 AM
That's what I originally thought too.. :S but I'm taking it to mean lots of glitter, sequins, feathers etc.