PDA

View Full Version : Oil shampoo question

Bunnysaur
March 30th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Hi,
I've been using oil shampoo for about a month and a half now. I use ~50% Suave professionals and ~50% is a mixture of olive, avocado, coconut and neem oils, with a couple drops of peppermint and argan oils. I have oily hair so I have to wash it every day (strangely, the addition of so much oil has helped cut down on my greasies, but I'm still too oily to stretch washes).
When I shampoo, I massage the oil shampoo mixture into my scalp for a couple minutes, then go about my showering business before thoroughly rinsing my hair.
It letting it sit like that actually doing anything? I massage it in, let it sit, massage a little more and then rinse. Are the oils actually penetrating my hair/scalp, or just sitting on top? I'm assuming that it's helping, because my hair has been feeling a lot softer and silkier (OH MY GOD, THE SILKINESS!) but I don't know if that's just because there's oil giving it some slip.

TIA

fridgee
March 31st, 2012, 03:39 AM
I would say if you like how it's making your hair feel it doesn't really matter if it's penetrating or not, it's still doing something good. I think in the original article that inspired ktani they just mentioned doing a quick wash, so it's probably not necessary to leave it to sit in order to penetrate, but if you like it, why not? I don't know what effect the other oils have on penetration tho, as as far as I know coconut is the only one that can actually fully penetrate hair.

(and yes omg the silkiness! :D I love an oil shampoo every now and then)

Bunnysaur
March 31st, 2012, 01:22 PM
I would say if you like how it's making your hair feel it doesn't really matter if it's penetrating or not, it's still doing something good. I think in the original article that inspired ktani they just mentioned doing a quick wash, so it's probably not necessary to leave it to sit in order to penetrate, but if you like it, why not? I don't know what effect the other oils have on penetration tho, as as far as I know coconut is the only one that can actually fully penetrate hair.

(and yes omg the silkiness! :D I love an oil shampoo every now and then)

Thanks! I think the avocado and olive do a better job penetrating the scalp, but the coconut is what gets into the hair shaft.

Or something like that... :p

ktani
March 31st, 2012, 02:39 PM
Hi,
I've been using oil shampoo for about a month and a half now. I use ~50% Suave professionals and ~50% is a mixture of olive, avocado, coconut and neem oils, with a couple drops of peppermint and argan oils. I have oily hair so I have to wash it every day (strangely, the addition of so much oil has helped cut down on my greasies, but I'm still too oily to stretch washes).
When I shampoo, I massage the oil shampoo mixture into my scalp for a couple minutes, then go about my showering business before thoroughly rinsing my hair.
It letting it sit like that actually doing anything? I massage it in, let it sit, massage a little more and then rinse. Are the oils actually penetrating my hair/scalp, or just sitting on top? I'm assuming that it's helping, because my hair has been feeling a lot softer and silkier (OH MY GOD, THE SILKINESS!) but I don't know if that's just because there's oil giving it some slip.

TIA

The oil in is not penetrating your hair, in my opinion and based on research I have posted, and you do not need to let it sit on your hair in the shampoo.

If this is working well for you by all means continue with it. It is different to oil shampoo used in a different way but it is about results that please you.