PDA

View Full Version : Are my ends thinning out or just dry? (Pic)

MissHair
March 30th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I would really like an honest opinion. Everyone's different which is why Im asking here to get a different take on it. Im tempted to trim at least 2-3 inches in order to get rid of the thinning. What confuses me is that I do alot of S&D so I know I haven't got many split ends. But it appears my ends are thinning out. That part of my hair is at least 3 years old and the hair on my scalp is visibly thicker/healthier. At first I thought my hair was dry but it's impossible, Im constantly moisturising it with oils and conditioners and it feels soft and Im always S&D'ing.

Im also worried if I cut back 2-3 inches that when it grows back it's gonna thin out again and that I did it for nothing.

What should I do? Or rather, what would you do?

http://i41.tinypic.com/o08iug.jpg

UPDATE

Thanks for all the great replies, I decided to dusted off approximately 1 centimeter and it actually made the world of difference. My hair feels even more softer now. I guess I have to accept the fact that my hair will never be millimeter same lenght always. Results:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2vb3h2t.png

elbow chic
March 30th, 2012, 04:06 PM
It looks to me like it's just been a good while since you've had a trim. Hairs don't all grow/shed at the same time so eventually you'll get uneven ends. If you like it, leave it, if not, trim.

Hollyfire3
March 30th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Maybe try protein on the ends? Do they feel mushy? They might need some structure. I would dust, the ends look thinner, but only because they might be breaking or in need of a trim, just a cm or so trim, nothing major. Try some more moisture, the oils might be taking moisture away from the ends if they have dried out because oil tends to seal (not exclusivley) out moisture if used alot. So, try some treatments and then a dusting maybe, i don't think they are thinned because they grew that way, my ends were MUCH worse and i was so confused because the rest of my hair is SO thick, then i realized it was because they were damaged and breaking snapping and heat styled too much, bad ends can be caused by many things,not to worry, tappering does not seem to be the cause here, they just need some TLC

littleizz
March 30th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I don't think they look bad! Is your hair very fine? If you're not seeing damage and the ends still feel soft and pliable I wouldn't worry about it. I'm actually thinking of going for fairy-tale ends myself - if you hair is healthy it looks like it's in the beginning stages of fairy-tale.

ETA: I just actually read your post :p You said it's soft and that you S&D a lot, so that's probably what's creating your thin ends. It's not that there's damage, it's just that you've taken ends off some hairs, so there's not as blunt a hemline anymore, does that make sense? Definitely fairy-taleish :) You could trim, but I think it's pretty!

spidermom
March 30th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Most of us have uneven growth patterns; that causes thinning of the ends. So does S&D.

white.chocolate
March 30th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I can't say with absolute certainty. They look to be slightly thinning, but not so much. They don't look dry. If you ask me what I would do, I'd just let it grow and see what happens. I can't tell for now.

caiti42
March 30th, 2012, 04:18 PM
If you are s&ding a lot your hairs are not being cut at the same length hense the appearance of thinning. I would get a good all over trim, maybe a centimetre and I'm sure you will be pleased with the results!

jojo
March 30th, 2012, 04:22 PM
S&ding can cause hair to look thinner at the ends, as your cutting individual hairs rather than straight across the bulk. To me your hair doesnt look at all thin on the ends at all, maybe a bit uneven which a dusting would sort out, but certainly not 2" or more!

WaterMusic
March 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM
It's not just splits or S&D that can affect the thickness of ends. Not every strand grows at the same rate, so if it has been a while since they were all "reset" to the same length by a trim, then they can start to look like they are thinning out.

Amber_Maiden
March 30th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Your ends are not thinning- all your hair grows at different rates. I would just leave it. My hair currently looks like that, and it's all part of growing it out.

lapushka
March 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Your ends are not thinning- all your hair grows at different rates. I would just leave it. My hair currently looks like that, and it's all part of growing it out.

This. ^^ If you *are* considering a trim, there's absolutely no need to take off 2 to 3 inches! Half an inch, just evening out those tiny uneven ends is going to be beneficial already.

MissHair
March 30th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks for all the great advice!! I really appreciate it. Therefore I got the courage to dust off about 1 centimeter and I really love the results. I don't know why Im scared of trimming my own hair, when I go to the hairdresser they always take more than 3 centimeters anyway and if I do it myself I can determine the lenght even better and just trim what I consider necessary.

white.chocolate
March 30th, 2012, 06:01 PM
That's nice to hear. :) Your hair looks very pretty and healthy. I say there's nothing worry about!

Ravenwind
March 30th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I noticed when I did S&D when my hair was long, it would thin out my ends. Maybe it could be that?

PixxieStix
March 30th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Gah, your hair looks so amazing, before and after your trim! Isn't it astounding what such a small amount off can do for the look an feel of your locks? Congratulations!

Safira
March 31st, 2012, 12:38 AM
I think your hair looks fine, before and after cut. Hair do grow unevenly, mine does and itīs normal.

Nera
March 31st, 2012, 02:14 AM
Oh wow, you have got some amazing hair!

malin_798
March 31st, 2012, 02:18 AM
UPDATE

Thanks for all the great replies, I decided to dusted off approximately 1 centimeter and it actually made the world of difference. My hair feels even more softer now. I guess I have to accept the fact that my hair will never be millimeter same lenght always. Results:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2vb3h2t.png

Wow, your hair is gorgeous! :D Sometimes you just need a little trim!

Vercelli
March 31st, 2012, 02:32 AM
That's true! Beautiful colour too!

lapushka
March 31st, 2012, 07:23 AM
Nice trim! :D :thumbsup:

jacqueline101
March 31st, 2012, 07:43 AM
I'd say a micro trim would be in order.

Katze
March 31st, 2012, 09:57 AM
Wow if my ends looked that thick at your length I would be super, super happy...

Glad you found a trim that worked for you!

sashinka22
March 31st, 2012, 10:10 AM
looks a lot better after the trim, keep it healthy! :)

MissHair
March 31st, 2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks so much for the comments guys! :)