PDA

View Full Version : Ponytails

Ravenwind
March 30th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure if there's a thread like this already. I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

So my question is, can ponytails cause damage if you put your hair up in one close to everyday? I use the hair ties that have the cloth around them with no metal. Ponytails are pretty much the only style I can easily deal with while I'm growing it out. It holds all my layers back and stays put all day.

I've read that if the ponytail is in the same place all the time it can cause the hair to become weak and break. Is this true? I've started using coconut oil in my hair again, so would that protect it from any damage from being in a ponytail?

Thanks!

Amber_Maiden
March 30th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Yes, they can cause damage- because the elastic puts pressure on the hair. Also, pretty much any hairstyle you repeat on a daily basis, on the same area of your head, can weaken the hair.

Ravenwind
March 30th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Ack >.< I'm gonna have to find something new to do then. lol

Chromis
March 30th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Yes. I had a lot of damage from ponytails before I learned how to put my hair up even with using gentle cloth scrunchies. I also got damage from the no-metal plain black ones.

Shoulder is a rough length. I'd keep trying updos, you might be able to do some of the twists pretty soon. I'd would highly advise not trimming until it is long enough to put up otherwise the damage just keeps building up at the nape and former nape hairs.

barely.there
March 30th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I like to use those large elasticy headbands as stand ins for a ponytail. a little less intense than a regular thin band...you could also try large clips...twist your hair up and then it holds securely. that should help hold the layers as well.

Amber_Maiden
March 30th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Yes. I had a lot of damage from ponytails before I learned how to put my hair up even with using gentle cloth scrunchies. I also got damage from the no-metal plain black ones.

Shoulder is a rough length. I'd keep trying updos, you might be able to do some of the twists pretty soon. I'd would highly advise not trimming until it is long enough to put up otherwise the damage just keeps building up at the nape and former nape hairs.

Yep, same here- had tons of damage from ponytails. I have less damage now that I can do buns and hold them with sticks or forks.

For me I find the forks and sticks much less damaging than even the safest cloth covered elastics!

Ravenwind
March 30th, 2012, 02:13 PM

Shoot :( it really is a rough length. I can't stand it when it's down because of all of my crazy layers cause me to have so much volume - which I really don't like, lol. I do plan on not trimming for a long time. Thanks for the tip.

Ravenwind
March 30th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I like to use those large elasticy headbands as stand ins for a ponytail. a little less intense than a regular thin band...you could also try large clips...twist your hair up and then it holds securely. that should help hold the layers as well.

I have some of those claw clips, sometimes I will use them. The only problem though is that my shorter layers will fall out and it doesn't feel secure enough. I'm never cutting my hair this short again!! lol

Anje
March 30th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I had a lot of ponytail-band breakage when I first joined here. However, my hair was considerably longer than yours is now, so there was a more weight at the band and I'd probably been wearing exclusively ponytails for a lot longer than you have.

I do believe it helps a LOT if you don't "tighten" your ponytails by grabbing two chunks and pulling them apart.

Ravenwind
March 30th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I had a lot of ponytail-band breakage when I first joined here. However, my hair was considerably longer than yours is now, so there was a more weight at the band and I'd probably been wearing exclusively ponytails for a lot longer than you have.

I do believe it helps a LOT if you don't "tighten" your ponytails by grabbing two chunks and pulling them apart.

Oh yeah, I don't do that. It makes me cringe thinking what that can do to hair >.< the elastics I use are tight and my hair is pretty thick, so it stays there pretty good. I've only recently been wearing ponytails quite a bit, so I hope there isn't damage already :confused:

ladylowtide
March 30th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I use pantyhose!
I can't use regular ponytail holders on my hair. And I would never want to wear a scrunchy since I am in my twenties... and well lets face it, scruchies are aesthetically offensive. Instead I use pantyhose. You thin strip out of a pantyhose leg, in black or whatever color you like best. I then stretch it out quite a bit, so it doesn't loosen as you are wearing it the first two or three times. Then you just wear it like a normal holder accept you double it around many more times, cause it is a lot wider. With other holders my hair comes out in clumps after using it. and with the pantyhose holder I usually only see one or two hairs.

Ravenwind
March 30th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I use pantyhose!
I can't use regular ponytail holders on my hair. And I would never want to wear a scrunchy since I am in my twenties... and well lets face it, scruchies are aesthetically offensive. Instead I use pantyhose. You thin strip out of a pantyhose leg, in black or whatever color you like best. I then stretch it out quite a bit, so it doesn't loosen as you are wearing it the first two or three times. Then you just wear it like a normal holder accept you double it around many more times, cause it is a lot wider. With other holders my hair comes out in clumps after using it. and with the pantyhose holder I usually only see one or two hairs.

Haha I'm with you on the scrunchies. Even though they're more gentle, they're not exactly my style ;) maybe if I'm sitting around at home though it would be ok :) I've never heard of anyone using pantyhose for a ponytail. It sounds a lot more gentle than a regular elastic.

Hollyfire3
March 30th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Do scrunchies damage hair? Since my hair is so messed up right now (see other threads on curl loss and damage by Hollyfire3) i tend to wear my hair in a looped ponytail with those soft scruncies, i did this for 4 days this week, if to do nothing but hide the embarsment that is now my hair.....

Maelyssa
March 30th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Yes, they can cause damage- because the elastic puts pressure on the hair. Also, pretty much any hairstyle you repeat on a daily basis, on the same area of your head, can weaken the hair.

Exactly this BUT I have to wear my hair up regularly for work and can't use anything like forks or Hairsticks so I've found that these cloth hair ties from Goody work to secure ponytails and braids with little to no damage when needed.

spidermom
March 30th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Plus ponytails leave the ends flipping around, subject to weathering, etc.

blondie9912
March 30th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Honestly, I don't think they're bad when you have short hair. Yes, if your hair is classic length and you have it in a ponytail with your hair flapping about everywhere... But you're at shoulder, and you can't do any other updos at this length! I would make myself some hair ties by cutting pantyhose into strips horizontally and using those. They're very gentle and don't snag your hair at all. Wear a ponytail for a few months until your hair is long enough to do a twist of some sort, then switch over to that. Good luck!

torrilin
March 30th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Basically, I figure as long as you have at least 3 styling options to get your hair out of the way, you're fine. A plain English braid, a ponytail, and a cinnamon bun are the ones I've depended on for years. If it works on my fine and breakage prone hair, it really ought to do ok for most of us :). And no, I've never had ponytail breakage.

If you've got layers, you can probably learn to do lace braids to contain them. IMO it's easier to learn lace braiding on shorter hair, and lace braids are very useful for coping with shorter bits and pieces of hair. And mastering lace braids means you have all sorts of pretty styling options available for when your hair is longer. A lace crown braid should be doable for most people around BSL, and you can use lace accent braids with a variety of hairstyles to make them look much more complicated.

Vortex or rose buns are good if your hair is thick and you feel like your hair will never be long enough to put up. They both involve sectioning your hair and that makes it easier to put up. (measure your ponytail circumference... if it's more than 4", you probably will find this trick useful) Both sorts of buns usually involve splitting your hair into 2-4 sections to make a much broader and flatter bun.

Ravenwind
March 30th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks everyone for all the info! I'll take all the advice and try new things. :)

Exactly this BUT I have to wear my hair up regularly for work and can't use anything like forks or Hairsticks so I've found that these cloth hair ties from Goody work to secure ponytails and braids with little to no damage when needed.

I have to have my hair up in school 2-3 days a week, so I just put it up in a ponytail. Then the next day I'm left with a huge crease in my hair, and I can't do any buns yet, so I have to put it up in a ponytail again.

XcaliburGirl
March 31st, 2012, 07:32 AM
I have the same issue. My hair is chin length, so all I can do is a ponytail. Somewhere around your current length, last time I grew my hair out, I was able to do a peacock twist with a Flexi-8.

My anti-damage plan is this: I don't tie it too tightly, don't "tighten" by pulling (guilty of that pre-LHC), let my hair dry before putting it up, and try to leave it down all day on some days.

I have some skinny black scrunchies (about a half inch thick) that don't look too bad. However, I am not really concerned about the style.

clairenewcastle
March 31st, 2012, 07:35 AM

I still do this despite all the good advice on LHC!

I just can't stand my ponytail working loose.

jacqueline101
March 31st, 2012, 07:39 AM
Yeah daily wearing of any type of style can cause damage.

Siiri
March 31st, 2012, 11:07 AM
Have you tried a peacock twist with a claw clip or a hair slide? You should be able to do it at your length.

Hollyfire3
March 31st, 2012, 11:10 AM
Have you tried a peacock twist with a claw clip or a hair slide? You should be able to do it at your length.

What is a hair slide?

Siiri
March 31st, 2012, 11:16 AM
What is a hair slide?

This is what I mean: http://www.etsy.com/listing/95560077/elven-leaf-leather-hair-slide-fantasy
Flexi-8's are hair slides too.

Hollyfire3
March 31st, 2012, 11:18 AM
This is what I mean: http://www.etsy.com/listing/95560077/elven-leaf-leather-hair-slide-fantasy
Flexi-8's are hair slides too.

Oh thats beautiful! I might just have to buy my first hair toy....i have a butterfly one like that that i use for half up dos, i didn't know what they were called, thank you! I want a flexi-8 also, but am confused on how to figure out what size, i mean i read the chart, but it is a bit confusing

Siiri
March 31st, 2012, 11:24 AM
Oh thats beautiful! I might just have to buy my first hair toy....i have a butterfly one like that that i use for half up dos, i didn't know what they were called, thank you! I want a flexi-8 also, but am confused on how to figure out what size, i mean i read the chart, but it is a bit confusing

I agree the sizing is confusing, you could ask help in the flexi8 thread.

Hollyfire3
March 31st, 2012, 11:28 AM
I agree the sizing is confusing, you could ask help in the flexi8 thread.

Good point, thank you.

Ravenwind
March 31st, 2012, 03:51 PM

I have tried but my layers fall out :( it's just too short to do anything with it right now.