PDA

View Full Version : First self-trim advice

alyanna
March 30th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Hi LHCers :waving:

A little background information. I'm approaching my one year anniversary at LHC :joy: I started off with past chin-length hair, layered and highlighted. The back was just about shoulder-length. Since then, I've had one dusting and one chop which was last September.

I've been having really good growth all along, except that since January, my hair seems to have stalled. I now suspect it's the remnants of highlights that are causing the *literal* disintegration of my ends. I think that my ends are snapping right off.

So maybe after 6 months of no trims, it is time to snip a little off.

Now the question is this. The longest sections of hair are actually the least damaged. This is the underlayer of the back of my hair. It is not bleached. The worst damage is in the front section, previously bangs, that got the most bleached. Also the canopy. These two sections, the front and canopy are shorter than the rest of the hair because they were layered.

If I use Feye's self-trim method, I would be removing the longest sections, which aren't even damaged and leaving the most damaged sections untouched (since they do not reach the bottom of my ponytail). However, if I just trim the damaged sections, I would be maintaining the layers, which are definitely not helping my hair to look thicker.

How do you guys think I should go about trimming my hair?

Darkessa
March 30th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I honestly would be scared to trim such curly hair. But I think you could probably get it nice and wet, stretch it down, then just trim off whatever you feel necessary. I would suggest help from someone you trust. Its very hard to do a perfect job by yourself.

Either that, or you could use my very odd method of a mix of S&D and dusting...
I do this very infrequently, but I will section my hair into about 1inch sections, then I will just VERY LIGHTLY dust my ends. Its honestly just in between Dusting and S&D.

lapushka
March 30th, 2012, 11:41 AM
This lady has curly hair too. She straightens it, then cuts her hair like this. Maybe this video will help in some way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hamVwPGm3As&feature=plcp&context=C4e8d399VDvjVQa1PpcFOaV6d19W0VYEsVaNqieY4M sFs1vH9nc5M%3D

alyanna
March 30th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I'm not that worried about the curls. It's not usually as curly as my avatar and signature pictures. When it's brushed out it's much straighter, especially when it's greasy!

I'm more concerned that if I snip off the very end of the ponytail, I'll be missing the most damaged sections, whereas going just for those damaged sections means maintaining layers.

blondie9912
March 30th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I have the exact same problem with un-highlighted underlayers that are the longest and shorter, more damaged layers. I would trim the same amount from the underlayers that you do from the shorter layers, unless you want to make the length difference between layers greater.

If it makes you feel any better, to grow out my layers, I am trimming the healthy underlayers and not touching the damaged layers at all until the layers grow out a lot more!!

alyanna
March 30th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks blondie!
I think that's what I'll do after all. I'm probably gonna wait until the end of this month to complete my one year anniversary, then I'll self-trim 1 or 2 cm using Feye's method. Blunt cut all the way across.