PDA

View Full Version : Corrective color questions..

NaiadOreiad
March 30th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I have had it.

Its been 10 months since I gave up henna once and for all.

I hardly made any progress in length from bad ends snapping off. Since December I have probably chopped about 4 inches. I figured the demarcation lines on my three toned hair wouldn't look so bad by now, but they still do. I tried coloroops, and that helped some, but a lot reoxidized...

I have about 4 or 5 inches of my natural haircolor that has grown in, about the same amount of dark henna red, and then 3 to 4 inches of vibrant copper at the ends. It sounds pretty but it looks so unbalanced and unflattering.

I really really love my natural color and I want the colorist to try as hard as possible not to get dye up there.

My Question is this:

Has anyone gone to have corrective color done on the length of their hair, and had the colorist successfully avoid dying their natural roots?

Bonus points if:

You have a story about aveda corrective color

or you have a story about corrective color on two toned hair,

or you have a story on corrective color after coloroops / henna

blondie9912
March 30th, 2012, 09:49 AM
That sounds really tough. I don't have any experiences to share, but I remember watching a youtube video in which the girl talked about growing out her natural hair colour, and she said that she wasn't able to go dye the length until her roots reach jaw length. You can check it out if you want, it was by LuxyHair.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do :)

door72067
March 30th, 2012, 11:58 AM
with 4-5" of natural roots already, have you tried bunning your hair? or even double French braids?

that way, the "offending" colors are tucked out of sight, and mostly only your natural color will show

I'm growing out myself, so I feel your pain

I've had some luck with the Clairol Jazzing

it gets put on wet hair, which always seems easier to control and instead of standing upright and applying it, I squirt some in my hands, bend at the waist, flipping my hair over, and then working in the lengths of the hair, avoiding the roots as best as I can

I cover it and leave it for 30 minutes

the nice thing is the Jazzing is like a glaze, so it does wash out of the virgin hair but seems to stay in the previously colored parts of my hair for longer

good luck with it!

Maelyssa
March 30th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I wish I had a positive color correction story to tell you but the salon I went to told me that due to what mess I had already made with my two toned partially bright orange hair that they would need to dye the whole mess. It did resolve the issue to fix the color but some virgin hair did get colored. Now perhaps because your roots are much longer than mine were (mine only an inch or so) they will be able to successfully leave the roots alone.
I wish you the best of luck with it.

I did go to an Aveda salon for deep conditioning treatments after and they helped a lot.

NaiadOreiad
March 30th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks guys!! I guess I will probably wait another week and make the appointment. I have to do a photoshoot soon so i guess i shouldn't wait too long.

NaiadOreiad
March 30th, 2012, 11:29 PM
with 4-5" of natural roots already, have you tried bunning your hair? or even double French braids?

that way, the "offending" colors are tucked out of sight, and mostly only your natural color will show

Thanks for the sympathy!!

This is the problem though, I love doing side braids and low ponies, and i hate that it always looks like my length is extensions whose color doesn't match my own.

I know its kind of a weird thing to think about. Also now my job is in visual arts, so I kind of need some balance and flow to my look.

ladylowtide
March 31st, 2012, 12:38 AM
OMG don't use color oops! I have never had anything damage my hair worse, and I have bleached dark brown hair all the way to platinum blonde. I used color oops on my black ends trying to get it back to my brown. Ended up with light golden blonde... everywhere. With some orange too....I tend to think that color oops is just bleach because my hair doesn't lift 5 levels without it! The answer to you chemical problem is not more chemicals! any dye or process permanently damages your hair. It will never get better, not matter what you slather on it. I am still growing out the roots I had when I used color oops like a year and a half ago. Just let the hair you don't like grow out, or you'll just end up destroying the precious good hair you have left. just my 2 cents.

NaiadOreiad
March 31st, 2012, 02:28 AM
I akready did two coloroops and they didn't seem to damage it that bad. I think some brands DO have bleaching agents in them, but i made sure the ones i used didn't.

I know it won't be the healthiest thing, but i miss having haircolor that flatters me.

hototogisu
March 31st, 2012, 03:08 AM
I've recently done three Colour B4s to remove copper conventional dye, and I've been doing honey lightening treatments with coconut milk to get rid of remaining brassiness (the red has reoxidized a little, but my hair is definitely blonde now and my regrowth blends nicely).

My 2c? I think we fret too much about the damage hair dye can cause. It sounds like the henna demarcation line is really bothering you and preventing you from really enjoying your hair. I think you should go and have a consultation with a hairdresser to see what you can do to restore your hair colour. Yep, it's less than LHC ideal, but it's not like you're committing to dyeing your hair every three weeks. This colour session will be a one time deal, and it'll allow you to enjoy your hair more.

The only problem is 'corrective colour' isn't one process, it really depends on the problem that needs correcting. When I was younger I dyed my level 7 ash blonde hair jet black, and went back to my natural colour through several rounds of highlights. Your colourist may choose a different method.

Good luck!

Maelyssa
March 31st, 2012, 03:09 PM
Good luck on the correction and especially the photoshoot...so enjoyed viewing shots from your previous one and they were stunning!