PDA

View Full Version : Comp. pics after one month of updos

Debra83
March 30th, 2012, 12:42 AM
So, around the end of February, I took a length check picture and was horrified at how my hair looked. :( I decided to wear my hair up for a month everyday to see if it made a difference, or made it worse....

Please help me decide if you notice a difference (enough of one to wear it up for another month, or worse than before and don't wear it up)...

First pic:

Feb 22, 2012

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=126952

March 29, 2012 - after a month of updos with braid waves

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=129815

RapunzelKat
March 30th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Well, to me they look a bit less dry and just a bit happier ;) It also depends a lot on how they feel to you though, mine tend to feel softer and "springier" to me after being up for a while. :flower: I would say go for another month! :thumbsup:

Avital88
March 30th, 2012, 01:53 AM
honestly. the pics are a bit unclear to really tell

Ishje
March 30th, 2012, 02:33 AM
putting your hair up will help of course, but I am not sure if it will help for only a month.
I would certainly go on wearing it up, eventually you will certainly see a difference!
I am not sure if you oil, but that might make a huge difference as well.
and of course, you don't have to wear it up every day, if you want to you can wear it down from time to time :)

lesbia
March 30th, 2012, 05:29 AM
A mounth is not enought to see a difference in my opinion! I would put it up for an other mounths or two and then decide! :)

Amber_Maiden
March 30th, 2012, 05:50 AM
I can't see a real difference in the pics you posted- bit unclear. I'd give it about 3 months.

For me, I did see difference after a month of wearing my hair up.

torrilin
March 30th, 2012, 07:34 AM
To me, it looks like wearing your hair down is causing damage in the underlayer of your hair, the part closest to your shirt, and most especially in the section at the base of your neck where it can't really get a break.

That section looks much better in the second picture, and I'd guess if you can get hair up as a solid and comfortable habit you'll no longer see a difference in your hair from that particular damage source.

jojo
March 30th, 2012, 07:38 AM
your hair looks fuller and wavier, id say do another month!

EvaSimone
March 30th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Are you taking these pictures after your hair has been worn up? Are you brushing/combing before the pictures? Basically what I am asking is what kind of hair is this? And what prep did you do for the photos?

littleizz
March 30th, 2012, 07:56 AM
The photos are dark and different sizes, so it's hard to see if there's a difference.

In theory, though, putting hair up DOES help protect your ends, but it won't repair damage. You didn't really say what was wrong with your hair to begin with - were there splits? Just frizz? If you still have a problem with it, I would say get a trim to where you're comfortable that there's little damage left and then start wearing it up for protection :)

Madora
March 30th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Well, I don't have any photographs..but I have been wearing my hair up every day for many years and it definitely makes a difference. I don't have to spend time dealing with tangles, which can cause damage. My hair is soft, shiny and looks healthy.

Debra83
March 30th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Thank you all for opinions (sorry about the pics quality). I'm going to try for one more month and see if there is a difff! :D

Diamond.Eyes
March 30th, 2012, 08:54 AM
In the second pic, your hair looks a bit thicker. I think wearing your hair up often could be very beneficial for you. I would give it another month or two.

MsBubbles
March 30th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I don't see a difference due to your dark top & dark hair and fuzzy pics (sorry). And perhaps also there is indeed, no difference yet.

But the logic in your poll questions doesn't compute for me, because I think it'd take much longer than a month to reap the benefits of wearing it in protective updos. So just because there is no difference in a month's time, doesn't mean there won't be after a year, or that you should eat cheese instead :-D. I think you will see more discernible results after a year, though. What sort of updos are you wearing?

I don't think your ends look so bad either. :)

blondie9912
March 30th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Your hair definitely looks like it grew. However, I think a month is too short a time to be able to tell an improvement in your hair's quality. IMO, your hemline looks a little uneven. Try trimming to even it out, and if you don't already, oil your hair while it is up, it helped me a ton after about two months. Good luck!

jacqueline101
March 30th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I'm in the middle of wearing my hair up day month challenge and no measuring for 90 days. I think it will be good for me.

melusine963
March 30th, 2012, 01:24 PM
One month isn't really enough time to see much difference in length, but those are nice braid waves.

furnival
March 30th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I'd agree with everyone else who has said that a month isn't really long enough to expect a difference from wearing your hair up. It won't cure damage, it will just prevent more damage from forming, and this isn't the kind of thing you can judge by monthly photos. I've worn my hair up every day for fifteen months now and I have very little damage, but I wouldn't say there is a visible monthly improvement.
Overall, hair up= less damage, so I'd stick with wearing it up and photograph it a lot less frequently so the difference will be easier to see.

Maelyssa
March 30th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I say stay with the updos, it seems smoother.

lapushka
March 30th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I have to be honest and say that I can't really tell if there's a difference or not. :o Apart from the difference in texture, I kinda think both pictures are quite alike. But it's way too soon to be able to tell, IMO. Give it time, at *least* three months. They don't call it benign neglect for nothing.

lilgreengoblin
March 30th, 2012, 08:46 PM
When I changed professions I had to start wearing my hair up at work. I can't tell you how fast my hair grew and how much the texture improved! It's was night and day difference. Keep it up and you won't be sorry!

Debra83
March 31st, 2012, 12:15 AM
In the second pic, your hair looks a bit thicker. I think wearing your hair up often could be very beneficial for you. I would give it another month or two.

I will definitely try again for another month or two. Thanks! :D

I don't see a difference due to your dark top & dark hair and fuzzy pics (sorry). And perhaps also there is indeed, no difference yet.

But the logic in your poll questions doesn't compute for me, because I think it'd take much longer than a month to reap the benefits of wearing it in protective updos. So just because there is no difference in a month's time, doesn't mean there won't be after a year, or that you should eat cheese instead :-D. I think you will see more discernible results after a year, though. What sort of updos are you wearing?

I don't think your ends look so bad either. :)

No worries!!! My logic really isn't logical!!! There were so many variations I could have put, but in my mind when I wrote the poll questions I was thinking in black or white....no gray! I don't mind eating cheese though!!! mmmm...I'm wearing some different things to try not to put too much stress in one area....I had a hairdresser tell me that my ponytails were causing breakage a couple of years ago. That kinda scared me away from wearing it up. Thanks for not thinking me ends are bad. You are sweet!

Your hair definitely looks like it grew. However, I think a month is too short a time to be able to tell an improvement in your hair's quality. IMO, your hemline looks a little uneven. Try trimming to even it out, and if you don't already, oil your hair while it is up, it helped me a ton after about two months. Good luck!

I thought it grew a little too!!! Wishful thinking probably, but I DID have to henna yesterday morning because of the roots! :o My hemline is definitely uneven, but I'm not trimming until December because of the waist by Christmas thread. It shouldn't be too bad because of my natural curls/waves (see sig pic-that's just airdried). Those things (curls/waves) hide a multitude!!! Looking forward to the end of two more months to see if it helps. (length and damage prevention).

I'm in the middle of wearing my hair up day month challenge and no measuring for 90 days. I think it will be good for me.

Good luck to you too Jacqueline! I saw another thread awhile ago on this site that talked about increasing growth from wearing it up. Also, my best friend's sister and her daughter wore ponytails through the summer and their hair grew sooooo fast!!

One month isn't really enough time to see much difference in length, but those are nice braid waves.

I know, I'm soooo impatient. Thanks for the like on the braid waves!

I'd agree with everyone else who has said that a month isn't really long enough to expect a difference from wearing your hair up. It won't cure damage, it will just prevent more damage from forming, and this isn't the kind of thing you can judge by monthly photos. I've worn my hair up every day for fifteen months now and I have very little damage, but I wouldn't say there is a visible monthly improvement.
Overall, hair up= less damage, so I'd stick with wearing it up and photograph it a lot less frequently so the difference will be easier to see.

Fifteen months seems SO long!!!! But, I know it would make a vast difference as long as it wasn't damaging my hair mechanically. My hair is so sensitive!!! I will photograph it once a month though for my Waist by Christmas thread, around the 25th of each month.

I say stay with the updos, it seems smoother.

Thanks!

When I changed professions I had to start wearing my hair up at work. I can't tell you how fast my hair grew and how much the texture improved! It's was night and day difference. Keep it up and you won't be sorry!

I will definitely keep the optimism after reading your comment!!! How long did it take to see a difference for you?

Thanks again everybody! My impatience in growing and getting to my goal length can work against me sometimes!!