PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with your hair for sleeping?

christiner
March 29th, 2012, 10:50 PM
i have usually always left it down at night, but now i'm not sure that's going to work if it gets longer.

caadam
March 29th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I always braid it, either in a single English braid or two English braids. Because my hair will tangle if I don't put it up at bedtime, and I've noticed that my hair will stay soft and tangle-free in braids. Also... I like braid waves. lol

auburntressed
March 29th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Either double braids, a single English braid, or a very low set french braid.

Kira94
March 29th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Honestly depends. Sometimes braid, sometimes two braids, sometimes low ponytail, sometimes high, sometimes topknot . . . it really just depends. :)

cwarren
March 30th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Top knot under a satin cap.

RapunzelKat
March 30th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I always sleep in a braid, tied with a hair-friendly elastic. Usually a single English braid, but occasionally some other type of braid, like a French or Dutch braid.

I also sleep on a satin pillowcase to protect my hair :)

woolyleprechaun
March 30th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Two english braids, two dutch if I want even waves, a topknot if I dont want the dog chewing my tassles :)

Laylah
March 30th, 2012, 01:25 AM
I just leave it loose. If I tie it up in any way, it breaks and I get the dreaded "frizz halo."

Blandine
March 30th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Until waist length I used to sleep with my hair down, but since then I have taken to a single English braid without elastic.

caiti42
March 30th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Mine goes into a pony tail and then I braid the hair. It's the only way it stays back and neat all night.

Long_hair_bear
March 30th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Two English braids under a sleep cap :)

Amber_Maiden
March 30th, 2012, 05:52 AM
I put it in a silk cap.

Jing
March 30th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I've let it down so far (I have a satin pillow case), but I'm starting to wake up with a couple of tangles that seem to be on their way to turning into dreads, so I'll have to start doing something about it soon. It's not long enought for much of a braid, though.

Madora
March 30th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I loosely braid my hair and then bun it on top of my head.

chaos_aroura
March 30th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Single english braid. When it was a bit shorter I did two braids but now they just get in the way. Occasionaly I'll do a sock bun, but I'm still learning to roll it right. If I do a sock bun I put a bun cover over it.

NowsTheTime
March 30th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I used to toss mine over the side of the bed and hope I didn't move to much. (I cut about 8 inches off).

As it starts to grow out more, I want to experiment with a sleep cap.

kallarina
March 30th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I always do a single dutch braid into a bun held with a clip, with coconut oil on my ends. No elastics to worry about! I don't toss and turn though, so this probably wouldn't work for someone who does. I have satin pillowcases too. :D

Fairlight63
March 30th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I have tried several ways but the best way for me is to put my hair in a single loose braid - no band on the end - wet the ends if they seem dry & put a little oil on the ends - curl the ends around my finger - curl the braid up & put on a silk sleep cap.
In the morning I take off the sleep cap, comb the scalp hair a little & put on a hair band. Put the braid in a bun, then go about the morning chores. Later in the day when I have more time I will take the braid out & comb my hair & rebun it.

shirohane
March 30th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I used to do a single or twin English braids held by scrunchies. When in wasn't braided (which is rare), I'd toss is over the the pillow. I also have satin pillow cases.

My hair's shorter now so I wear it in a low ponytail.

nobeltonya
March 30th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I could leave my hair down, if my husband and sons would LAY STILL. They can't for the life of them lay in one place and sleep.... so I'm forced to either put it in a spin pin bun, which if not tight will come loose in the night [I've had the pins come out and thought I'd lost them], or braid it.. but when I braid it, the hairs on the top of my head stick up and get caught on their hands and stuff when they move around.. and they'll end up laying on the end of my braid.. :P

HylianGirl
March 30th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I dutch braid it =)

stew
March 30th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I usually french braid it. My hair isn't that long yet, and I'm growing out a bunch of layers, so half of it has come loose by the morning.. I'm looking for a better hairstyle that can keep all my ends tucked in and protected until it grows out. Any suggestions?

I would just put it in a bun, but it's too tight and elastics are damaging. Is there a way to wear a bun for sleeping that isn't damaging?

ladyfitzgerald
March 30th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Honestly depends. Sometimes braid, sometimes two braids, sometimes low ponytail, sometimes high, sometimes topknot . . . it really just depends. :)

:Dsame for me, it just depends but I always put it up.
I love your signature by the way! Praise God! :)

Quetiepi
March 30th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I wear mine loose. It doesn't tangle too much. When I put my hair in a braid, I get more tangles from the hairs on the nape of my neck. Weird, huh.

sfgirl
March 30th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I usually braid mine. If I don't I wake up with so many tangles. I also will put it a ponytail at the very top of my head with a scrunchie, when I want volume the next day and not waves.

melusine963
March 30th, 2012, 01:38 PM
English braid. It stays put without a hair elastic.

Firefly
March 30th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I wish I could do silk or satin, but I just can't stand the feel of it. So, I either braid or do a banded pony tail. Mostly the banded pony tail though, so I don't mess with my natural wave pattern.

Maelyssa
March 30th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Depending on if it's wet or dry when going to bed I tend to leave it down to dry when wet or put it in a bun if it's dry. If its horribly hit though I'll bun it up wet or dry.

MortalEternity
March 30th, 2012, 03:36 PM
When my hair was long, I eventually got into the habit of braiding it (not just to sleep but in general). I usually had 1-2 English braids (never got the hang of braiding any other way. I'd try, but it always turned out awfully.)

But most of the time, unless I'd gotten out of the shower and didn't have time to dry it, I'd leave it loose. I kind of just had it over my head, I guess? I'd never really thought about it before. It went like this:
-Lie down (on my stomach or side)
-Put my opposite arm (the one I wasn't lying on) under my head/neck to gather the hair
-Sweep the hair upward

It was just sort of splayed all over my arm/pillow. I can't remember whether I gathered all my hair or just the part that I would have otherwise been lying on (lying on my hair makes my face itch) because it was never conscious. I just did it.

see_turtle
March 30th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I braid mine.

JellyBene
March 30th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I put mine into a silk sleeping cap. It is so comfortable and I have found tons less breakage since I started doing this.

Bianca
March 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I just started sleeping with mine tossed over my pillow, braids give me frizz...

PixxieStix
March 30th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Currently I wear it loose most nights, but it's starting to get everywhere, so once it's long enough I hope to top knot it every night when I go to bed because that's the most comfortable for me. I can do two English braids, but they're on the thicker side and I end up sleeping on them somehow and that's just not pleasant, for me anyway. Or get a silk sleeping cap. I already use a silk pillowcase.

LoversLullaby
March 30th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Top knot and sleep on a satin pillow case. :)

xsweetpotatox
March 30th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Single braid tied off with a hair friendly scrunchy

janeytilllie
March 31st, 2012, 01:02 AM
I do a sleep pony with three silk scrunchies then put it in a sleep net :)

Vercelli
March 31st, 2012, 02:31 AM
I wear an English braid at night. But I would love to find a better solution as I am quite often lying directly on my braid which isn't a good idea. :confused:

Mithgarthsormr
March 31st, 2012, 03:32 PM
I use my Pretty Wrap when I'm alone. When I'm at a friends, I just tie my hair together or wear it braided.

TheLuckyLurker
March 31st, 2012, 04:06 PM
I always put in a single english braid.

auroraclio
March 31st, 2012, 05:03 PM
Leave it loose

Coan-Teen
March 31st, 2012, 07:16 PM
I do a french side braid. That way I'm not laying on it directly.

jacqueline101
March 31st, 2012, 07:49 PM
I wear a loose bun.

IvanaGil
March 31st, 2012, 09:55 PM
I usually just wear it in a bun. I know a lot of girls say it bothers them, but I guess my head got used to it. Plus, I sleep on my sides, so I don't feel it much :)

wildmane
March 31st, 2012, 11:35 PM
Tying it hasn't been working well for me. I keep thinking it must be the layers due to which the hair tie usually slips lower on the length.
Sometimes a high pony works if I move the length above my head on the pillow.

habioku
April 1st, 2012, 01:50 AM
I use a self made sleeping bonnet :)

Hairfreaky
April 1st, 2012, 01:36 PM
I sleep with my hair loose. I drape it over the end of the bed, and it will stay there all night. I had my hair in a bun for maybe a year (I sleep on my belly!) but recently changed back to loose hair again. Since I wear a bun all day it just feels much more relaxing for the hair not to be tied back during the night as well;)

Nev
April 1st, 2012, 03:49 PM
topknot :)

Shermie Girl
April 1st, 2012, 04:07 PM
I don't like to sleep with my hair loose, it is too heavy and warm and gets in my way so I either wear it in a simple, low English braid or in a messy scrunchie bun high on my head. :D

shazzshazshz
April 1st, 2012, 04:20 PM
I have it in a loose-ish pony... it helps protect my ends more than leaving it loose I think. I used to do a braid but then I'd wake up with tight waves for the next few days, and they don't suit my hair.

C_Bookworm
April 1st, 2012, 08:00 PM
Braided, and coconut oil on the nape.

Fortresca
April 2nd, 2012, 12:49 AM
Well I do a english or french braid with a lot of ribbons normaly to take care of ma layers. Sometimes I do a Bee Butt Bun for a little alternation.

Covet
April 2nd, 2012, 12:56 AM
I just tie it and pop it into a sleeping cap.

DragonFlyPie
April 2nd, 2012, 01:12 AM
I usually just sleep with it loose & put it over my pillow, so it would kind of hang down between the bed & the wall. But I toss & turn so much, it usually ends up everywhere :D Lots of re-adjusting it back over the pillow. Sometimes I wear it in 2 braids. Very rarely, 1 braid or a bun. Don't like the feel of sleeping on braids/bun/lumps, so i keep it loose most of the time.

Of course I end up with my head pinned to the bed many times - due to either DH or a very large cat laying on top of my hair LOL

The cats used to knead my hair/head like it was their mommy cat. Cute, until the claws & teeth come out from them getting overly excited about it all. LOL Have to wonder how much hair they've secretly chewed off while i've been sleeping, too. Our one cat is obsessed with my hair, i mean, OBSESSED! You just have to laugh.

jackie75
April 2nd, 2012, 05:08 AM
Even when my hair was tailbone length years ago, I always wore it loose at night. I didn't know anything about long hair care back then, but I could never stand having my hair any other way while trying to sleep.

It's almost shoulder length now, and I really need to do something since I wake up with my hair an absolute mess. Maybe it's something us picky sleepers need to get used to?

I can barely braid my hair, no matter how long, never mind all the other types of braids...but I know doing something for it at night will really help. I still haven't bought a satin pillow case!! I'm concerned I will buy a fake one that won't do any good.

B-L
April 2nd, 2012, 05:15 AM
I used to braid it, french or english. But since I bought a satin sleep cap I'm reborn! It's so comfy and I don't get any lumps or hairs that get in the way!

Madora
April 2nd, 2012, 08:00 AM
Even when my hair was tailbone length years ago, I always wore it loose at night. I didn't know anything about long hair care back then, but I could never stand having my hair any other way while trying to sleep.

It's almost shoulder length now, and I really need to do something since I wake up with my hair an absolute mess. Maybe it's something us picky sleepers need to get used to?

I can barely braid my hair, no matter how long, never mind all the other types of braids...but I know doing something for it at night will really help. I still haven't bought a satin pillow case!! I'm concerned I will buy a fake one that won't do any good.

Jackie75, you might want to try and find a silk blouse or dress at a thrift store, then make a pillowslip covering out of it. Many members here swear by silk pillowcase coverings.

Smiley Sunshine
April 2nd, 2012, 10:08 AM
I do an english braid and sleep on a silk pillow case. :D

Does anyone know if a silk sleeping cap makes any difference if I'm already using a pillow case? Any help would be appreciated!

Leah Polamalu
April 2nd, 2012, 10:17 AM
I usually just throw it over the edge or braid it in 2. Braiding it gives me gorgeous waves but sometimes I am too lazy to braid.

elfgirl
April 2nd, 2012, 12:06 PM
I either put it up in a regular bun and secure it loosely with an elastic, or braid it. The waves from both are awesome, though I'm finding myself to become partial to bun waves :)

Bagginslover
April 2nd, 2012, 01:06 PM
Most nights I do a single English braid. I'm really starting to love braid waves, and I used to detest them! If I know I want straight hair the next day, I'll wear it loose. I have worn it loose every night til this year, and it's survived, so the odd night doesn't bother me ;)

jackie75
April 6th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Jackie75, you might want to try and find a silk blouse or dress at a thrift store, then make a pillowslip covering out of it. Many members here swear by silk pillowcase coverings.

Oh! Good idea! Thanks for the tip! :)

blondie9912
April 6th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I have my hair in what is probably the most unappealing hairstyle for me. I french braid it, loosen it a little by pulling the braid downwards, then secure it to my head with 2 bobby pins at the end and a few others places at random. I find it to be an INCREDIBLY comfortable hairstyle for those with fine hair like myself :)

coldclarity
April 7th, 2012, 04:46 AM
One or two English braids or loose depending on whether I was to hang onto my curs or not. As it gets longer I hope I'll be able to do a loose braid without pulling all my curls out, but not yet.

dinnee
April 7th, 2012, 06:28 AM
I wear it in a rope braid. Sometimes with two elastics (one one the top, one on the bottom). sometimes with only one elastic at the bottom. I alternate between wearing it over my left shoulder, right shoulder or in the middle. I loooove rope braids, because I don't like braid waves. :)

Also I drape a silk scarf over my pillow. :D

ImperatrixMundi
April 7th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Fasten it into 2 scrunchies (so they don't move) and english braid it. I also fold the braid ends up and tie them with another scrunchie. Looks silly but it keeps the ends from damaging.

supercupcakexx
April 7th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I usually do mine in a regular side braid or a top knot/high bun on top of my head so that I don't hit it on my pillow when I'm sleeping. Sometimes I'll do mine in a french or dutch braid, and I often just leave it braided or bunned from the day before, if I wore it that way.

Mermaid.Kisses
April 7th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I usually do a loose bun but I've been wearing two braids lately.

Kittyxx
April 7th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I tend to loose bun or ponytail if I have it up - which is probably not best on the breakage front but I move around a lot so I find it much easier having my hair above my head [if that makes sense] rather than on the sides where I end up laying on it

dwell_in_safety
April 7th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Cinnabun with spin pins. Lately I've been using four, which is really comfortable, doesn't put strain on any strands.

Renate
April 7th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I do a simple english braid, very loose. Doesn't leave me with any waves :)

TiffanieJean
April 7th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I almost always leave my hair down at night, unless I put it up in a sock bun. I tried to put it up every night starting in Jan 2012, but by the end of Feb my hair was falling out a lot around the crown from being pulled all night. It wasnt even in a tight bun. My hair is just so slippery that it slides the weight to one side or the other and pulls my hair out...

jeanniet
April 7th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Coincidentally I was just about to post a thread on the Conventional Products board. I've been using sleep caps for a couple of years now, and they've really helped my hair, but the ones that work best for me are closer-fitting and previously the only ones I could find were the cheapy ones from Walmart. I'd really prefer to wear silk, and I did have some silk bonnets, but they were just too big and let my hair flop around too much (very annoying), so I rehomed them to a fellow LHCer. Well, I finally discovered that PrettyAntoinette has 100% silk beanies! I got the larger size and tried it out for the first time last night...perfect! It's close-fitting, but easily holds all my hair and there should be enough room for it even at TBL and maybe classic. So anyone who likes a cap but doesn't want a bonnet might want to take a look. :D

http://prettyanntoinets.com/category_4/Beanies.htm

pixietail
April 7th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I braid my hair to the side, alternating between left and right sides. I do an english braid if I want waves or rope braids if I don't/ I'd love a silk cap, but I'm having trouble finding one.

misspurdy06
April 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM
satin sleep cap

http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Satin-Nites-Tie-Wrap/dp/B003I5XHHM/ref=sr_1_3?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1333839829&sr=1-3

Gladtobemom
April 7th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Most of the time, two loosish braids. I secure them with little hose elastics.

If my hair is damp, I do a scrunchie bun on top of my head with a silk scrunchie.

ArienEllariel
April 7th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Does anyone else notice that a french braid or even an english ends up loosening up round the head and pulling the braided bit up like a kinky ribbon when they wake in the morning? Cause that's what mine does... :rolleyes: I'm an awfuly active sleeper.

Dragon Faery
April 7th, 2012, 10:54 PM
It varies, but always up in some way. Usually a bee-butt bun with a velvet scrunchie. Sometimes a topknot bun. Sometimes a braid.
I use a satin pilowcase, but I'm considering adding a satin pajama top or something. My ends aren't the happiest. :p

ClassicalBlonde
April 8th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Does anyone else notice that a french braid or even an english ends up loosening up round the head and pulling the braided bit up like a kinky ribbon when they wake in the morning? Cause that's what mine does... :rolleyes: I'm an awfuly active sleeper.

That sounds like me! I've just figured out how to braid my hair so that's how I'm wearing it at night. I used to just leave it out but it's starting to get way too many knots now with the extra length.

Hairwish
April 8th, 2012, 01:56 AM
I braid it, but I'm considering buying a sleep cap.