PDA

View Full Version : Why are you growing your hair?

Pages : [1] 2

christiner
March 29th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Do you like how it looks?
enjoy a challenge?
it makes you feel beautiful?
ability for fun updos?
something else?

I started out going for a certain hairstyle, but now that i can do that i'm thinking about growing it out to change things up and learn new hairdos.

what about you?

Beckstar
March 29th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I love long curls.
I also love the updos you can achieve with longer hair.

Artisticat
March 29th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I want to buck the trend that older does not mean shorter.

uptosomeone
March 29th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I've never had long hair, and the longer it gets the easier it is for me to style my hair to suit my taste in clothing.

kallarina
March 29th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I'm growing my hair out for me. My hair makes me feel beautiful and unique. And I love that warm fuzzy feeling I get when someone says, "Ooh, your hair is so long!" Makes me feel like I'm making progess!:D

JuliaDancer
March 29th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I think it looks beautiful, and I love the updos.

Diamond.Eyes
March 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I just love the way it feels. It gives me great personal satisfaction knowing that I have long healthy hair that I know how to take care of. It makes me feel feminine and natural. :)

FireFlies55
March 29th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I think it alone is beautiful and think I look more beautiful with long hair. I also love being able to put it up, and can't wait for enough hair to do some of the beautiful styles I see on ladies here. Also, I love when my boyfriend plays with my hair, so more to play with (:

StPaulaGirl
March 29th, 2012, 09:40 PM
All of the above. :)

CurlySasha
March 29th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I'm growing it for several reasons:
1: My hair is very curly, so it looks short when dry. I want it to be long so it'll look not short.
2: My goal is to have long, healthy hair in two years, for my prom. I want to look perfect for the pictures.
3: I think long hair is beautiful :)

mrs_coffee
March 29th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Because I turned 40 and saw too many friends chop their hair off at that age. I've always had short hair because I love it and it's different. That's pretty much the reason I'm growing it now. I've never been very good with random rules and senseless expectations.

Silverbrumby
March 29th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I'm not so much growing it as trying to see if I can get really lovely hair. It's always been frizz prone hair and hard to work with hair without blow frying or flat ironing. I've read so many stories here of people who are cone and heat free who have lovely heads of hair.

BTW I work at a womens gym and I look at hair all day. Many, many women, lets say 98% of them, seem to think that hair cuts, heat and products are what makes great hair. Most of them have rather dull looking stripped hair IMO.

The few that leave their hair alone (benign neglect) and growing, those who are more alternative and don't use cones etc, they seem to have the best hair.

I want that type of hair. It doesn't have to be long. Anything from APL down is fine by me. I just want it:

* Shiny

* Healthy

* the type of hair you want to touch or think, wow, that looks good.

Nedertane
March 29th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Because I love long hair. Always have since I was a lass. Granted, my goal length isn't THAT long (waist, hip, or somewhere in between), but that's because I honestly don't know if I could personally handle say, the ever-lovely classic length (it's bad enough always having to tie my hair back at MBL whenever I eat lol!). But I remind myself that I've always wanted to basically look like a spooky Viking princess for as long as I can remember, and now I've got the proper tools and knowledge to do it, and do it healthily! Plus, I'm becoming more accepting of my natural color now. My life, and my hair is for me, not anyone else. :D

barely.there
March 29th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I'm growing out my hair because with short hair i look like a boy. fact. also, because no one in my family has long hair, at all. so i'm looking to "beat" the genes - even if its only to hip. I love attention, and so when people start staring at me for my long hair, i will soak it up. hehe

SeaLamb
March 29th, 2012, 10:40 PM
a few months ago i wanted to cut it to a pixie for a big change and less hassel and to do and i've never had rly short hair, but i only had one friend who was like "yeahhh do it! it'll look super cute, and i can't pull one off so i'll live through you!" haha i ended up not cutting it though and decided to grow it longer because DBF rly loves my hair and twirling it lol and i rly would miss it. plus, long healthy shiny hair is just soo lovely and you can do so much with it, so! i'm growing to classic now :D

Jeno86
March 29th, 2012, 10:41 PM
For me, I love the way long hair looks and feels. It also has a sort of "magic" to it. It makes me feel powerful, elegant, otherworldly. There is a wild, primal nature to it.

KaasKnot
March 29th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Between long hair and short hair, I feel more like myself when it's long. And I grow pretty hair, so says my mom, and I'm not above fishing for her compliments. :)

caadam
March 29th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I grow my hair long because for one, I loooove long hair, and for another, I've always let my hair grow long when I cut it short. However, I'm coming to terms that my hair just looks better long; it poofs out and doesn't look its best when short because it's very thick.

Sometimes I wanna take a pair of scissors and cut my hair short, but it's always a passing feeling. I just sleep on it and the next day, the feeling is gone. :)

jessa
March 29th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I used to have long MBL virgin hair when I was 16 and once i dyed it i ended up in a routine of bleaching which caused my hair to be very short due to damage. when i stopped bleaching and using heat products (about a year before i discovered LHC) my hair started to grow and that made me want to keep growing. then i discovered LHC...

aggie_deirde
March 29th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Like others have said,I just love long hair.Even when someone cuts its hair I get emotional.Weird me!I like the possibilities I have with long hair.One day I can wear it up the other down and so one.And I grew up listening to the story of Rapunsel ..

Springgrl
March 29th, 2012, 10:57 PM
It makes me feel unique.

Ravenwind
March 29th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I'm growing my hair long because I have never had long *healthy* hair. I've always dreamed of having long hair since I was little, and now that I've got it healthy I can work towards that goal :)

woolyleprechaun
March 29th, 2012, 11:20 PM
It just feels lovely to me. I like the way it looks, the way it swishes, the things you can do with it. Ive always been abit of a throwback, so it just feels more natural to me than heavily styled and maintaned shorter dos.

jbn
March 29th, 2012, 11:21 PM
My long hair journey started when I retired 2 1/2 years ago. I tell people that there hasn't cost of living allowance raise for social security and I can't afford a hair cut. This year I got a whole 5 buck raise per month. I can go to super cuts every three months or have a good glass of beer once a month. I'll take the beer.

I've gotten to like my hair, it's below APL now and very healthy thanks to the information here. I turned 70 recently and get a lot strange looks, mostly by short haired old people. I'm a guy. Pictures comming as I can get my DW to take some.

John

Kira94
March 29th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I just think it's pretty. :D
Plus I'd like to have it really long by the time I get married, and since I don't even have a boyfriend at the moment, I have plenty of time to grow it out before then. ;)
Also, I haven't had long hair since I was like 8 and I kind of miss it and would like to see what it feels like again.

cwarren
March 29th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Because I think long hair is beautiful for all hair types. Long hair makes the person more attractive.

Carissamarie08
March 30th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Something different!

Loreley
March 30th, 2012, 12:38 AM
I love how it looks. :)

Of the Fae
March 30th, 2012, 12:45 AM
When I was little I only got it around APL and a little past a few times, and then shortly after cut it back to ear, chin or shorter.
Since my hair is very dense, it tangles up so easily that I never thought I would be able to maintain the beautiful. long hair I envied on other people.
Now that I dó know, and my hair is healthy and radiant for the first time at such a length, I'm going to try to grow to classic, my first goal being waist before I continue.
Like others have said in this thread, it has an otherworldly feel to it, and it has a beautiful fairytale like look that not a lot of people sport these days. I love it, and it matches my folklore dresses ;)

Avital88
March 30th, 2012, 01:58 AM
because of many reasons mostly religious and spiritual.
I think people are made to have long hair ,its a natural thing.
I dont like to use stylingproducts etc and imo the shorter it is the more i need. Now i use nothing but oils.
What i like too is that it keeps me warm and i can do every style i like with it.

Mononoke
March 30th, 2012, 02:11 AM
DBF challenged me to grow out my hair.
Apart from this, I do it for the variety, after keeping my hair at about shoulder length for a long period.

Jing
March 30th, 2012, 02:27 AM
To beging with, going to the hair dresser almost once a month to keep a pixie looking decent was too expensive, fighting with a pixie every morning to make it look decent was too much of a hassle, and I wanted some change. I've added some reasons since I started growing, like the many possibilities of up-dos, hair toys seeming like so much fun, wanting to get back to waist length (it's been over ten years), and just the prettiness of shiny, healthy long hair.

I wonder if I'm not under some subconscious influence, though, because when I had let my hair grow for a year, I started noticing that waist-length hair was suddenly very common. That happens to me all the time - I start liking a certain style of clothing or something and then all of a sudden it's all the rage before I've had time to acquire much of it. It's annoying.

pink.sara
March 30th, 2012, 02:39 AM
I miss my long hair, it was easier to manage and needed way less styling to make it look beautiful.
I also like to take very good care of myself and having long shiny hair is a realy obvious way to take pleasure in that, also I like to be different and you don't see much hair beyond BSL here. :)

Tota
March 30th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Do you like how it looks? Sometimes, I have good and bad hair days.
enjoy a challenge? Not really, I just want it to be LONG already! :)
it makes you feel beautiful? Definitely more than with short hair.
ability for fun updos? I don't look good with updos.
something else? The longer the hair the more "me" I feel like.

DancingQueen
March 30th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Because it makes me feel more feminine, and because my hair is a lot more manageable when it is long. When it is short, it is a frizzy mess. when long, it is a bigger, frizzy mess, but at least you can put it up that way. :p

malin_798
March 30th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Because I loove the way it looks and it makes me feel more beautiful and feminine. + I always had long hair and don't really know what to do with it when it's short.. I think I would like short hair if I ever took the time and effort to style it.. Which I don't :P

Mesmerise
March 30th, 2012, 03:14 AM
I like the look and feel of long hair! I feel more pretty with long hair too :).

Also... I kind of want an attractive feature that stands out!!! I'm fairly plain and blah looking, and the only thing that stands out about me is my lack of height :p. I'd love to have something attractive that stands out so I'm not just "that short person" lol!

Sunny_side_up
March 30th, 2012, 03:23 AM
The feel of it cascading down, the flowing wavy texture and movement which comes about with more length. For me- casual messy updoes. Brushing the length is a nice thought. Hair tumbling over my shoulder.
Been a while since i had anything longer than APL.
Though my goal isn't long long hair like others i've been there done that with some short do's and want to go for length, with these sunny warm months i plan to grow and grow and have been considering longer hair with layers in autumn;) We shall see:)

Mina17
March 30th, 2012, 03:30 AM
I'm growing mine out for several reasons.

1. I'm tired of going to a stylist and being disappointed with how they cut my hair. It was always hit-or-miss. Sometimes I would be happy with how they cut my hair, most often I would be upset or frustrated.

2. I felt too boyish with short hair.

3. I want to be able to do different updos and use hair sticks and forks.

4. I enjoy the challenge of growing my hair.

5. I'm past 40 and want to go against the trend of having shorter hair.

MagicAndMayhem
March 30th, 2012, 03:35 AM
I used to have long hair, I missed that.
Anything shorter than BSL looks awkward on me.
I like the feeling of long hair running down my back.
It's just fun :)

janeytilllie
March 30th, 2012, 03:39 AM
I'm growing my hair for a number of reasons

1. I love having long hair. I like all the buns/styles I can do
2. I feel pretty and unique with long hair.
3. It's easier to deal with. When my hair was short it was a pain.
4. I love buying hairsticks and forks.

Amanah
March 30th, 2012, 04:16 AM
I used to have terminal length hair.
long hair is the beautifull crowning glory of femininity.
I lost my hair to chemo.
Now long hair represents health and life to me also.

PrincessIdril
March 30th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Because I think long hair is so beautiful. And because you can do more with long hair!

Also having long hair makes me feel beautiful, even when I've made no effort with the rest of my appearance!

Narya
March 30th, 2012, 04:38 AM
The truth is, I don't have a definite answer.

I like long hair: I like how it looks (on me and on others), how it feels, how versatile it really is (I can go from hip length wurls floating everywhere to a neat bun with no hair out in a few seconds)... Also, I think a person with long natural looking hair is very aesthetically pleasing.

Ceridwen Iris
March 30th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Looking for a change. Haven't had very long hair since I was a teenager.

schweedie
March 30th, 2012, 05:07 AM
In the beginning it was mostly because I wanted something different - I'd had shortish hair for most of the time ever since I was thirteen, occasionally getting as far BSL (or somewhere in the vicinity) and then chopping it off to shoulder or even chin length again. I've never had really long hair even before I started that cycle, and thought it'd be fun - and a challenge in patience, too.

Now it's mainly because I like being able to do different updos. That just wasn't happening when my hair was shorter - a pontytail or twist with a clawclip was as complicated as it got, and most of the time my hair just hung there. Sometimes I play with the thought of chopping it off again, but then I think of how much I love the braids and buns you can do with long hair and resist.

SunlightShines
March 30th, 2012, 05:12 AM
When my hair is short it is always a mess. I like being able to put it up & know that it will stay neat. I want to be able to look in the mirror and see long "healthy hair." It makes me look & feel more feminine when it's long.

morrigan*
March 30th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Long hair suit me the best, also i love to do different buns and braids.

arielágua
March 30th, 2012, 05:25 AM
For me long hair is sign of dedication, affection, sensibility and the longer it gets it means it has been through so much. It means memories. I think it's also more romantic. But my real reason for growing it is because I am very attached to the past, and they used to have very long hair.

Naddy
March 30th, 2012, 05:48 AM
ability for fun updos?

This is what started my current growing session. It was late fall last year and I was just past APL. It all started when I stumbled onto a few youtube videos on how to pencils to put your hair up. Then I stumbled onto hair sticks, then realized that my hair wasn't long enough to use these cool toys I had just discovered, so I had to change that. Now that I know how to care for my hair properly and have traded in my hair straightener for bobby pins in which to create oh-so-pretty pin curls with, I can't wait until I have soft, shiny, frizz-free waist length curls. :)

I'm definitely not new to growing, though. My long lengths have ranged between waist, hip, tailbone, and calf length (when I was a kid). Sometimes I've purposefully grown it out and sometimes, after months or even a year or two of benign neglect and always putting my hair up everyday with hair ties, I suddenly realized it grew from BSL to waist on its own and I didn't even notice it, haha.

Amber_Maiden
March 30th, 2012, 05:49 AM
The challenge is a big part of it- I like having a goal and working towards it. I like doing something for just me.

caiti42
March 30th, 2012, 05:51 AM
I love long curls and I want to be able to do them.

DaniVerde
March 30th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Because when my best friend was going through chemo and lost his hair (which upset him greatly), I shaved my TBL hair to keep him company.

Now it's time to grow it back! :D

Pinkster8
March 30th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Because I loooooooove braids and I want to be able to do them without little layers sticking out everywhere! As soon as those layers are out and I get some length, I'm going to have an epic Katniss braid! :D Also, long healthy hair is kind of rare around here and I want mine to stand out :)

Rhodugune
March 30th, 2012, 06:53 AM
I always wanted my hair long, always thought really long hair was the most beautiful thing.

So I have strived to have my hair grow long since I was about 5, but due to my mother who wasn't the best at trimming and later hairdressers who keept insisting that my hair need to have nearly all it's yearly growth trimmed off, 'cause it was too damaged... it took me 15 years to reach waist...and then I started trimming it myself a couple years ago, I reached tb last year.

jojo
March 30th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Do you like how it looks? Yes, ive never suited short hair
enjoy a challenge? apart from a few occassions my hair has always been shoulder or longer length, so I don't see it as a challenge, I see it as a way of life for me!

it makes you feel beautiful?It makes me feel me, I don't really care about looking beautiful, I am what I am.

ability for fun updos?sure that always a plus, I love the versatility long hair gives me
something else?Having long hair is just part of my personality, with short hair I dont feel like me!

I started out going for a certain hairstyle, but now that i can do that i'm thinking about growing it out to change things up and learn new hairdos.

what about you? As I said above im no stranger to long hair, 97% of my life ive had long hair, so its no biggie for me or other people. My hair is the longest ive ever had it and I intend to grow longer because I can...I hope!!! Its all about individual choice, i love some short hair cuts too but they dont look right on me; i just love hair period!!:)

afu
March 30th, 2012, 07:17 AM
For me I either want mega short hair (i.e. pixie or shaved) or long (but not past hip) - i don't like being 'in-between' - and thats what shorter than bsl feels like to me. My SO however sees long hair as being a form of femininity and loves my hair long and curly, so thats the choice made for me! I told him i fancied shaving my head for charity, and he said whatever people were giving for me to do it, he would give me more to not do it!

bte
March 30th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Because I don't like the look or the feel of short hair on me. And because if I et each hair grow for its entire potential life, it will take me 6 years longer to go grey than if I had short hair.

Madora
March 30th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I'm growing my hair long because of two factors: vanity and creativity. My hair is my one beauty and I've always been intrigued by beautiful, intricate braids I've seen in classic Hollywood historical films. They were so elegant, so beautiful..and I longed for long hair that I could experiment with to achieve those gorgeous braided styles.

Bedhead
March 30th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Quite frankly, it's because I have beautiful hair, and while it's still vibrant and rich in colour I think it's a waist to have short hair, like I have most of my life.

rock007junkie
March 30th, 2012, 08:18 AM
1. I want to grow my hair to new lengths (this is the longest it's ever been).
2. Makes me feel pretty
3. I feel like I have more styling options

MonaMayfair
March 30th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Because I've had long hair almost all my life, and when I had it cut into a bob a few years ago (because I'd always wanted a real 1920s hair cut), it was SO much work to look after, I could never be bothered to do that for long...
Oh, and I like wearing braids...

I'm probably going to stop at waist length though, I don't like the look of hair any longer than tail bone length (which is where mine used to be)

racrane
March 30th, 2012, 08:22 AM
I feel pretty and feminine. Also, not many people where I live have *healthy*, long hair. Often, it's pretty damaged. So, I take pride in that. Also, I enjoy learning new hairstyles and braids are just fun to do. :) I can't do that with short hair!

QMacrocarpa
March 30th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I've been fairly hair-inept much of my life, but with updos I feel like at last I'm the boss of my hair! :D

nobeltonya
March 30th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Originally, about 5.5 years ago, I got tired of going to the salon and having it trimmed... both because they could never cut it the way I wanted, and because it was getting expensive. Then, I met my husband, who is Indian, and we went to India for 11 months. I was introduced to oils and "herbal" [not completely herbal, but still] shampoos and was just curious how long it would go.. especially since the last time I'd had long hair was like kindergarten, and it was maybe waist, thin and stringy.. but I don't remember having it. I've just seen pictures. So any length milestone I'm hitting now is new to me, and I also like to figure out what to do with my hair, or what it likes. And I like being able to have options for putting up my hair.. It used to be a plain old messy bun [or ponytail] when it was short.. and it looked horrible, so I'd never wear it down [I didn't know how to brush it, wasn't using conditioner or oil]. I like the way it looks down, the way it feels on my back, and I love my color. :) So far, the few white hairs I have are staying at around 6" and buried under the rest of my hair... haven't turned salt and pepper yet. :cheese:

Lyytikka
March 30th, 2012, 08:49 AM
It looks beautiful and elegant.
Ability of doing fun updos is a bonus of course but it was never a reason for growing my hair. I like loose messy hair the most :)

Hyacinth
March 30th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I think long hair is beautiful, classic and feminine. IMO it's traditional and historic & I love to keep ties with the past.

I feel like I'm on a journey with growing out my hair, which requires patience and endurance. Keeping on the journey with all of you makes it so much worthwhile.

turtlelover
March 30th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I've always loved long hair ever since I was a little tiny girl. I think short hair can be cute, flattering, and fun, but there is something timeless and classically beautiful about long hair. I'm not aiming for super long lengths at this point being that I am starting to go gray -- maybe APL or BSL, but I always admire longer hair on others with more suitable hair type/more patience. Also, I could play with long hair all day -- mine or other peoples. That is just so relaxing and comforting to me. I'm a very tactile person, and it is soothing and almost puts me in a trance.

jacqueline101
March 30th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I'm doing it for me. I loved my long hair and I miss it. I do enjoy wearing up dos and the sense of accomplishment.

Amethyste
March 30th, 2012, 09:41 AM
The last time I remember my hair being long, I think I was 11? My hair was tailbone at that time. I got sick and cut my hair short, because the look of it was abominable.

for 30 years, I've been keeping it short. last year I grew my pixie cut to now being below chin. I just want long hair for ME. Something that belongs to me and I can take care of and be proud of. I actually think that longer hair is easier to take care of. I sure don't miss the gel, the mousse, the hair spray, the flat iron and all the terrbile things i was adding and doing to my hair! I color with henna, trying to keep damage to minimum and as soon as I can actually put my hair up, i'll be exercising benign neglect and let it grow until i reach waist.

blondie9912
March 30th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I'm enjoying the challenge and seeing my progress along the way. Also, long hair is beautiful and IMO requires much less upkeep than short 'done' hair.

joyfulchiara
March 30th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I've never had hair past my shoulders. I am constantly growing out and then whacking it back off to a pixie each summer when the Missouri humidity kicks in and my curls go mad. I'm going to try to make it through my second summer without cutting. By the end of the summer I hope it's long enough for a ponytail and then it won't be such a temptation! Fingers crossed!!

Kinkycurlygurl
March 30th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I have super curly hair. It looks great and I can do more with it longer. I feel sexy with a mountain curls tumbling in every direction.

AndreaPetrea
March 30th, 2012, 11:00 AM
For eight years I have kept my hair between chin and shoulder length. I decided to grow it out many times in the last years, but I was never able to - it always ended up looking thin and stringy and damaged. Then I found the LHC :D

I liked short layered hair, but I didn't like that I was not able to do nice looking updos. I need to be able to wear my hair up and look good - at the same time ;) That is my main reason for growing my hair.

Also I just miss the look and feel of long hair. And I have recently noticed that when I wear my hair down it just covers my shoulders and make me a little warmer, which is wonderful since I'm always freezing!

sfgirl
March 30th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I like having a goal to work towards.

lunardaydreamer
March 30th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I'm growing my hair because I miss being able to do braids. I never had the gall to wear my more "elaborate" braided hairstyles out in public because I was always afraid of being called a geek or a nerd in middle and high school and I wish I had just gone for it! I feel more secure in my own skin now, and want to wear my hair that way!

I know how to care for my hair now, so I feel this time when it's long for the first time it will be healthy and beautiful :) I prefer it long. I know my boyfriend prefers it long even though he tells me he loves it however I love it. I want to have it long when we get married one day.

Kitsu
March 30th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Because I can I guess.

I cut all my hair of when i was 13 and ever since then I've regretted doing that and I want to have long flowing locks for the rest of my days :3

Pecheresse
March 30th, 2012, 02:09 PM
enjoy a challenge?
ability for fun updos?
something else?

what about you?

- I wish it was BSL soon. Right now it's just stuck between APL an noman's land. Frustrating...
- Enjoying a challenge? Always... :)
- It does make me feel beautiful. Yes.
- Right now not much updo's. But soon enough.
- Something else, yes. My ex had long ass hair. Thick hair. It was beautiful. I swore to myself I would have longer & more beautiful hair than his at some point. It's a silly promise I made myself... But it's my bittersweet revenge to a guy who should never have crossed my path. This is just a pretext though, I just want to be as feminine/wild/natural as possible. Well, in one word... Goddess Like.

Hollyfire3
March 30th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I want beautiful, thick, shiny, long hair that swings and cascades and fall just perfectly, plus, without all my past damage, my hair would grow in FAR too poofy and curl and thick to leave it short. To me, the longer a person's hair is, the more they have in beauty IMO Oh yeah and there IS the Holly Marie Combs thing, she inspired my long hair and continues to each day

lapushka
March 30th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Long hair is easier to take care of. It's as simple as that. I'm not aiming for extreme lengths (like knee or ankle length), and it looks like WL / HL are "my" lengths, but I will grow to classic at least once because that's what I had as a young teen - I want to experience what that's like again.

Maelyssa
March 30th, 2012, 03:10 PM
After much experimenting with short length in my youth I find I'm simply in love with long hair. My former coworker had the most amazing hip length hair that reminded me of Tifa Lockhart from Final Fantasy. She really made me take notice of how great long hair can look on a grown woman.
Long hair is gorgeous and sensual and even a bit mysterious...I love it!

eicamawa
March 30th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I'va always wanted very long hair, it was a big dream of mine. But some years ago I decided to cut of a lot of length, and the I cut layers into it, and cut my bangs, and I've also put highlights in it. But I don't regret it as I now have tried that, and now I can grow my hair long without wishing my hair should be two different ways :)

Piyo
March 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I just feel very earthy and feminine with long hair. I like to wear soft flowing fabrics, and I feel like my hair matches the romantic style I try to dress in. Long hair is also a comfort, almost like a security blanket.

ladylowtide
March 30th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I used to have hip length hair when I was in the second grade, but my parents encouraged me to cut it to chin length because I couldn't take care of it myself. I always loved the extremely long hair in anime, and i've always been envious of women IRL with long beautiful locks. After I found out that henna kept my hair from getting tangled, I figured I had no excuse not to try it for myself. I think that it will make me look beautiful and special. And of course there is my rebellious streak. Fashion was done so many crazy things to our hair, I think the only extreme thing left to do is not cut it at all! :cheese:
My goal length is Tailbone because I know that I can definitely handle the maintenance, but my dream would definitely be knee!

longcurlygirl<3
March 30th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Well I always saw other girls in my church with long 1a-2b classic hair and I had apl 3a/3b which made me want to achieve some length! Plus for my faith and it's my crowning glory!

elbow chic
March 30th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Cheap entertainment.

terylenerose
March 30th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Scissors aren't natural. Other animals don't cut their hair, why should we? There are other ways to deal with ridiculously long head hair than to hack it off with scissors. I also like being different and this is another way to do it. Different, that is, in the sense that I don't follow all the silly standards of civilization. My hair is also curly and poofy when it's short, and that's annoying. Not the curly part anymore, I've learned to like it better, but having a diamond or triangle shaped head is not my cup of tea. Short hair also gets in my face, and that's no fun either. When it's long I can get it out of the way.
So, in summary, it's just the right thing to do. At least in my case.

stew
March 30th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Cheap entertainment.

This made me laugh :eek:

To be honest, I have trichotillomania and have experienced massive hair loss in the past. I used to have thick, slightly wavy, shiny, beautiful waist length hair, and I cut it all off in a panic when my hair started thinning.. Since it was short and thin anyways, I did all sorts of horrible things to it.. I even bleached it once (my hair is naturally almost black). I've been trying to regrow it for 5 years but keep having setbacks.

Having long hair again would be a triumphant victory over the disorder that has taken over my life. Posting on this forum also motivates me to fight it harder.

Generally though, I love having long hair because it makes me feel feminine (with short hair I was somewhat androgynous), and it feels almost sensual to have soft, thick hair laying over your shoulders and brushing against your lower back. I also love the feeling of wind blowing through long, healthy hair.

Mrsbaybeegurl
March 30th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Because I've never had hair longer than my bra strap. I have never had super short hair but feel like my whole life, no matter the year- my hair has been at shoulder or slightly longer and a few times at chin. however, I have ALWAYS wanted long hair so it's on my "before I'm 30 list" lol...actually it's the only thing on that list, but still! The goal is that by the time I'm thirty I want my hair to be 32 inches long (it's 14.5 right now and I'm 27):D

jeanniet
March 30th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I kind of started just because I was too busy to get my hair cut, and then I thought "Why not?" and now because it's both a challenge and something I enjoy. Plus I'm kind of ornery, and if older women are supposed to cut their hair then I don't want to do it. :twisted:

herdaughter77
March 30th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Well, it's complicated.
When I was younger than 12 yrs, I didn't cut it because my parents were conservative-minded and because at that age, they made those decisions for me.
After that? Well, I couldn't muster up enough courage to tell my parents I wanted to cut it. It was a big pain-in-the-neck, or more accurately, a big pain-in-the-head.
I got more and more frustrated with it up until the day I found this site. (And in the nick of time, too! I was seriously thinking about cutting it after my 16th birthday.)
True story. Cross my heart. If you don't believe me, ask my family. They are so much happier that I joined this site, because they admire my hair. It's kind of funny, though, watching my younger bro telling me it's practically a sin to think about cutting it.
Now? Well, I just overly like my hair! :cool:

-K

MortalEternity
March 30th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I think I've posted here, but I can't remember.

I still identify myself by my long hair... even though I haven't had it for two years. It was so odd to me that people even knew who I was when I cut it. Now, almost no one I know even knew me back then. It's so odd to be identified this way rather than as the person with long hair.

Also, I feel I look nicer with either a specific short style or very long hair. I can look good with many short cuts, but I can't pull off certain looks, if that makes sense. I can't look pretty. (I know, it sounds silly).

Finally, and probably most importantly, longer hair is, honestly, easier to manage. I cannot stand the high-maintenence of short hair. Getting it cut every few weeks drives me nuts. Dealing with the cow-licks, putting gel or wax in it, etc. And I hate having a mullet every other month. I am just too damn lazy for that sort of thing. It's so easy for just a couple of oddly twisted locks to make your hair look terrible. When it's longer, everything blends in nicer, or you at least have more options to hide a bad hair day (ponytails, braids, etc).

I cut it because I was bored. It drove me crazy that it always looked the same. I couldn't figure out new things to do with it. I was just so long, and I'm so low-maintenence, that I was going mad.

Littlewing13
March 30th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I loove the look of long hair! It just looks so sexy & feminine.

Also I wanna be able to put it up in different styles, I like all the buns & hair toys everyone uses here.

I had long hair as a kid & felt so pretty whenever I took it out of my braid. Kind of like a transformation from sensible to feminine.

And you can do so much with long hair, whereas short its like "should I wear it curly or straight today?"

skraprchik
March 30th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I'm growing mine to see if it's possible for me. I have never as an adult had hair longer than shoulder length. I want hair that I can look down and see lying on my body. Of course, that will never happen unless I straighten it because my hair grows outward, not down.

PixxieStix
March 30th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I'm growing my hair because I love how it looks when it's long and the way it moves. I love how it feels sliding over my skin, how it makes me feel pretty and feminine. And, I don't want to only be known as "the smart girl", I want to be known as "The smart girl with the gorgeous long auburn hair!" I had long hair all while growing up, and I miss it terribly. I shaved it off because of my trichotillomania, so now that I've beaten that, I feel I owe it to myself and my hair to let it grow and let the both of us just be. :)

spookyghost
March 30th, 2012, 07:11 PM
When I was in high school I had short hair, I actually got shortest hair in the year book my senior year, and to be honest I looked like a boy:eek: I felt very unattractive and decided to grow my hair out and I have been happy ever since! Oh why didnt I do that when I was in school?

So for me I feel so beautiful and sexy!!

EdG
March 30th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I look like this emoticon with short hair. :silly:
Ed

lilgreengoblin
March 30th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I have always had long hair and loved it, but when my grandma, who was my best friend, died last year I felt like I had no control over anything. Except my hair color. I dyed it a different color every 2 weeks. I bleached it repeatedly for 3 months. And then on top of all of that I straightened it everyday. It was so horrible. I ended up having to cut it all off because it was so damaged.

Now, I'm getting married in October and I really want to grow it out as long as I can. I loved my long hair and it was the first thing my fiance noticed about me and he misses it to. So, I am doing everything I can to grow it out.

Hollyfire3
March 30th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I'm growing my hair because I love how it looks when it's long and the way it moves. I love how it feels sliding over my skin, how it makes me feel pretty and feminine. And, I don't want to only be known as "the smart girl", I want to be known as "The smart girl with the gorgeous long auburn hair!" I had long hair all while growing up, and I miss it terribly. I shaved it off because of my trichotillomania, so now that I've beaten that, I feel I owe it to myself and my hair to let it grow and let the both of us just be. :)

I know what you mean, I want to be the smart girl with the thick, gorgeous long dark chestnut hair!:) You know how in Hollywood Holly Marie Combs is known as Holly with the hair, because her hair is so pretty? (well, if you a Holly Marie Combs/Charmed addict like me, you would understand why) and I WANT to be like that SO bad!!!

annamoonfairy
March 30th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I love the look and feel of long hair : )

xsweetpotatox
March 30th, 2012, 11:32 PM
I used to have super long hair, and I loved how it felt. I'm hoping to get to and maintain around waist length because that's where my hair looks the best

Laylah
March 30th, 2012, 11:52 PM
I love long hair because it makes me feel beautiful and feminine. I have had long hair (past bsl) for almost all of my life so it's really ingrained in my personality too. When I'm going through a bad time or a major change, it's like I'm taking a piece of the past with me too. This might sound kinda ridiculous... but I remind myself that I've been through worse things and see that my hair from those times is still with me and I'm carrying on.

MonicaJean
March 31st, 2012, 03:09 AM
Some of the reasons I'm growing is because It's always been a fantasy of mine. Ever since I was little and saw other girls with long flowing hair... I had short hair as a kid until I was old enough to make my own decisions because I was told that my hair was too thin and basically nobody thought my hair would grow long. So, we just kept it cut. :( Turns out I have plenty of hair. :) I think it thickened up a lot once I got around 10-13 years though.

I also just really like the look of long, healthy shiny hair. I love the feel of the weight of long hair and the way it slides around. I suppose I just find it rather luxurious. <3

CharleaMurphy
March 31st, 2012, 04:08 AM
I think long hair is beautiful, and looks so natural and pretty.
I want to feel like my hair is more natural, and I've never been happy with shorter hair.

Libbylou
March 31st, 2012, 04:34 AM
Main reason for growing, $$$$. I used to have the old lady poodle do and the cost and upkeep had to go with today's economy.
I love how my hair looks, and feels. Thanks LHC for the tips I used.
Always keeps people guessing, surely an older lady wouldn't have longer hair.
If I want the feel of short hair, just put it up.
And, my hair isn't even long, just crawling toward APL.

Sunny Elf
March 31st, 2012, 03:18 PM
I've had long hair for the majority of my life, and I just love the way it feels, draping around my shoulder and brushing against my arms and back. i also love the way it looks, and all the cool things you can do with long hair :)

Helix
March 31st, 2012, 03:50 PM
A few reasons:

Longer hair means more styling options.

I'm growing it mainly out of curiousity. I've never had long hair before, (mostly due to poor hair care practices and lack of knowledge), but now that I have an idea of what to do I want to see what all the hullaballoo about long hair is about.

I love a challenge. There are a few people, (Andre Walker for example) who think people with my hair type can't grow past SL, (I'm almost BSL now so I guess that theory goes out the window - need to update my stats). I love it when someone tells me I can't do something.

auroraclio
March 31st, 2012, 05:02 PM
Because i'm lazy and long hair is easier than short...

And i've never had longer than APL hair, well that was 10 years ago, so it's worth a try to see how long it will get

moralita
March 31st, 2012, 05:32 PM
This is a great thread.

a.) I love how long hair looks, of course!
b.) To me, healthy hair represents gaining control over the havoc hashimoto's thyroiditis wreaked on my physical and mental health. Ick.
c.) Growing my hair out exercises patience... a quality I want to cultivate in myself.
d.) Hair care is a great outlet for experimentation!

Long_hair_bear
March 31st, 2012, 06:59 PM
Elves have long hair, so naturally, being a wood elf, so do I. :D

Shermie Girl
March 31st, 2012, 07:03 PM
Because I love it long. And because it is fun to defy those who say that a woman my age has no business having long hair. :D

beautifulending
March 31st, 2012, 07:06 PM
I have had Short hair all my life and I want at lest once in my life to have long hair so that is why I am growing it and I love how long hair looks on me.

MissHair
March 31st, 2012, 07:48 PM
Vanity reasons simply. I find long hair makes me feel and look prettier. It definitely boosts my confidence in a way other accessories cannot.

arcane
March 31st, 2012, 08:12 PM
I prefer the look of long hair on me. Also I feel more attractive with long hair, and enjoy the ability to hide behind it if I want to. I don't care for most updos/braids. When it was longer I tended to just wear it loose or up in a bun.

Quetiepi
March 31st, 2012, 08:30 PM
Because I love it long. And because it is fun to defy those who say that a woman my age has no business having long hair. :D

What she said, PLUS, my hair is gorgeous.

Or so I have been told. I'm not bragging, much!

Melanie Marie
March 31st, 2012, 09:22 PM
I think long hair is beautiful, and I think it's a great opportunity to increase in patience and perseverance (two traits highly valued in my religion).

KwaveT
March 31st, 2012, 10:10 PM
I have for a long time want to do something different with my hair. I have had short hair all my life and am tired of it. I am also interested in different ways that I can do my hair when it is longer.

IvanaGil
March 31st, 2012, 10:13 PM
I'm growing out my hair because:
Long hair is absolutely gorgeous! And I don't think there are enough long-haired gals out there. It's such a shame, too.

TheMechaGinger
March 31st, 2012, 10:15 PM
It definitely makes me feel more beautiful and feminine to have long hair, which makes me wonder why I kept cutting it! Here's to breaking bad scissor habits :D And I absolutely adore the updoes. I can't wait until my hair is long enough to pull of some of Torrin's styles

Plus short hair is easy to have, you just have to cut it which takes all of a few seconds and it's way easier to abuse. Long hair takes patience and dedication and I like the challenge it represents

koala
March 31st, 2012, 11:54 PM
I saw a couple of pictures of glorious long hair and just decided in a minute that my hair had to be waist length.
It was tailbone length as a child and I miss that.

sycamoreboutiqu
April 1st, 2012, 12:22 AM
Because I can .....

XcaliburGirl
April 1st, 2012, 08:15 AM
I don't like getting it cut. Plus, I like to be able to do updos.

krisbb
April 1st, 2012, 08:29 AM
I've had mid back to waist length hair since I was 18, about 10 years ago i was pressured to "update" my hairstyle and cut it to just below my chin, I regretted it and have been growing it out since. It makes me feel feminine to have long hair and is part of my identity at this point.:o

EdG
April 1st, 2012, 08:34 AM
Because I love it long. And because it is fun to defy those who say that a woman my age has no business having long hair. :DI feel the same way. :D
Ed

Orangerthanred
April 1st, 2012, 11:16 AM
Because I don't look good with short hair. I wish I did... I love short flapper-style bobs, but my super wide shoulders, round face, and short neck beg to differ....

GRU
April 1st, 2012, 11:59 AM
Because I can.

Wanted long hair as a child, wasn't allowed because my mom is a witch.

Wanted long hair as an adult, wasn't able to because I didn't know how to care for it. (never got past BSL)

Now that I've found LHC, I'm finally able to grow my hair... and so I am! :D

lunalocks
April 1st, 2012, 12:15 PM
I am a quiet kind of rebel.
Hair this long is unique.
The longer it is, the more womanly I feel.
And, my hair is one of my few physical attributes that gets better over time.

Smiley Sunshine
April 1st, 2012, 12:22 PM
Because long hair seems to be something spiritual. Like why people grow dreads and like the stero-typically spiritual peoples, the native americans and the celts!

Plus all the coolest people have had long hair, the pre-raphilites, the hippies, the rockers! It's kinda 'free' feeling (and a little bit rebellious!:D)

Plus I still wanna be Rapunzel! :happydance:

LunarAurora
April 1st, 2012, 03:03 PM
I feel the same, Smiley Sunshine !!

lolot
April 1st, 2012, 03:20 PM
i like either short shoulder lenght or wl length hair, but i like to wear my hair up to get it out of the way so shoulder length is not an option for me

RapunzelKat
April 1st, 2012, 03:38 PM
Let's see...

I want long hair :D
Sheer laziness :lol: Maintaining a short style is too time-consuming, and so expensive!
My SO loves my hair long :D
I like having my hair completely up and out of my face. Long hair makes this easier, and there's a much larger variety of styles I can do with super-long hair. :thumbsup:
It's unusual/unique, and makes me look a bit different from all those around me. Since my personality is a bit different than those around me, it fits. ;) Even when my hair was short, it was always very short, and kind of a different style or color than average.
Curiosity to see just how long it can get.

I think that pretty much covers it!

fractalist
April 1st, 2012, 03:41 PM
I've just turned 74 years old and I wanted to have my hair long one more time. I never wear it down but I do love the way I can put it up quickly and it always looks good. After buying (at great expense) a Mason Pearson hairbrush for sensitive hair, my hair has never looked better or been more healthy.

I can recommend a Mason Pearson for fine thin long hair wholeheartedly.

shazzshazshz
April 1st, 2012, 04:24 PM
I think long, healthy hair is very beautiful and feminine... also it's nice to be taking care of something, it feels like an achievement to see my hair healthy

Lipbalmbabe
April 1st, 2012, 04:29 PM
Ive always loved longhair

thirstylocks
April 2nd, 2012, 01:45 AM
I love this thread!

I love the look and feel of long, silky healthy hair with a blunt hem line. There's something sexy about it...and I feel like in some weird way it would reveal a lot about ME - about my personality .. I can't really explain what it is. I don't feel like myself with my short hair cut.

Also, I've been dating a guy for about 7 months now. His ex girlfriend has tail-bone length hair, and he was obsessed with her hair. It puts a terrible pressure on me and I literally spend hours every day caring for my hair and feeling crummy comparing my shoulder length hair to hers....:(

piratejenny
April 2nd, 2012, 02:35 AM
Because I think I'm simply not a short-hair person. I used to have hair between BSL and waist for the longest time and on an impulse decided to cut it all off when I got pregnant with my first child (hormones make you do the craziest things :D). If I look at pictures of myself it is blatantly clear that short hair is not for me...

I find long hair to be feminine and beautiful and I like the updos that are possible with long hair.

Since joining LHC and fundamentally changing the way I take care of my hair I also found - much to my surprise :cool: - that my hair is actually not a stick straight, frizz prone and mostly greasy mess, but can be soft and shiny with bouncy waves.
:cheese:

Savvyhorsez
April 4th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I just love long hair, the way it looks up or down, there's so many neat things to do with it, and the down look is always classic.

millyaulait
April 4th, 2012, 03:09 PM
To feel pretty again... :)

And to give me something positive to focus on through my illness.

I also just *love* long hair.

AMPere77
April 4th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I want to buck the trend that older does not mean shorter.

YES~ I could not agree more!

leslissocool
April 4th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Because I feel is a very important part of who I am.

I love long hair. I had is longish all my life, once up to hip before a nasty chop. I did crazy things to my hair, and while it was fun I missed having it long, like I lost a limb.

My hair represents my commitment. Commitment to take care of myself, commitment to my amazing husband and to enjoy being loved and pampered, to a new era where I let go of all the negativity that was surrounding my image, and my image in society. I just want to be me and enjoy being me, and learn to be healthy. That's a commitment I am willing to make, and probably will make forever.

I'm also a Metalhead, and long hair is a huge part of that :rockerdud I really just love long hair. DH has hair almost as long as mine!

Loveless
April 4th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I've never had hair longer than BSL. I had kept it short for four years before I decided to just let it grow out. I like the feeling of having long hair.

I probably won't be feeling the same now that summer temperatures arrive, though.

dwell_in_safety
April 4th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I've almost always had long-ish hair. It is something that defines me, in my mind.

MoonlightShadow
April 4th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I like my hair better when it's long. It's easier to style and no one in my immediate family really has long hair

tiarefleur
April 13th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I like how it looks and it requires a lot less maintenance than my APL hair right now, which just poofs up if you look at it wrong!

Rumpel
April 13th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I'm growing my hair because long hair makes me feel sexy! A beautiful braid gives me confidence and pride in my appearance.

carolinaberry
April 13th, 2012, 11:28 PM
I like my hair better long. I like the way it looks down when it is healthy and long and it gives me a lot more options with styling.

BeccaAngel
April 13th, 2012, 11:30 PM
I'm growing mine out to see how far I can go without cutting it off and I'm also trying to go all natural so once my natural hair is at a certain length, I plan to chop off the past color treated hair and keep it natural. :)

Jadecas
April 13th, 2012, 11:31 PM
I am growing out my hair because i always admired long hair ,also i became a mother and wife i decided i wanted to be natural and embrace my femininity !plus i can"t wait to do some styles!!!always had short hair !

PurplePenguin
April 14th, 2012, 12:17 AM
I've always admired long hair but have never really been able to grow mine longer than about 2inches past shoulder. Now that I am armed with knowledge on how to take care of my hair and how to help it grow I am excited to see what my terminal length really is.

gossamer
April 14th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Why not? :D

HintOfMint
April 14th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Keeping it long in general is just more flattering on me, for my hair texture (it can get BIG) and for my face (round). However, the extra length (tailbone as opposed to BSL) is to stand out. It's one of my more striking features and I like to play it up.

Lindsey999
April 14th, 2012, 10:15 AM
"Because I love it long. And because it is fun to defy those who say that a woman my age has no business having long hair. :D"

I wholeheartedly agree!

savannahlove
April 14th, 2012, 12:03 PM
My hair makes me feel so pretty and confident and unique, and I just love having it long. (: When I was little, I would beg my mom to let me cut my hair short; it's kind of the other way around now. XD Also, I just like taking care of it. It's relaxing.

BeckyAH
April 14th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Honest answer?

I am too lazy to deal with any hairstyle that requires styling on a regular basis. For me, shorter hair does.

Majala
April 14th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I love the look of long hair on myself and others. It makes me feel feminine and pretty. Although I'm not really satisfied with the state my hair is in (too thin, to damaged) it's the one part of my body I get most compliments on and I really look boyish with shorter hair.

Criosdan
April 14th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I love the feeling and the look. And I love the hairstyles I could do. And there's a strange reason. I love folk, medieval and metal music. ;) Long hair fit's to that, I guess...

ceruleanlove
April 14th, 2012, 01:22 PM
-Because there is something infinitely sensual and feminine about long hair.
-Because doing so will require a fair amount of dedication to the health of my hair, which (after 3 years of chronic bleaching/dying) it desperately needs.
-Because I've always wanted to just shake my hair out and feel it grazing my lower back....there is something very alluring in that mental image :)
-Because I have never had hair longer than about APL...and I am curious as to how it will look once I get it to the length I want (which is currently waist-length, but we'll see). Plus, I'm tired of rocking the short 'do.
-Because I want to be able to actually DO things with my hair, other than straighten and set with 5 different products

and most importantly....

-Because I want to. :p What better reason that that?

cobden 28
April 14th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I'm growing my hair out for me. My hair makes me feel beautiful and unique. And I love that warm fuzzy feeling I get when someone says, "Ooh, your hair is so long!" Makes me feel like I'm making progess!:D

Same here. I'm growing my hair for ME, nobody else, and i really do want to be able to sit on the ends some day soon!

Carrie Ingalls
April 14th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Because:
...I ignored it for years growing up, never really cared what people thought of it, and it transitioned very naturally to having crazy long hair.
...One day I realized it was fingertip length, and a while later I realized it was knee length and I thought "I guess I'll keep growing it to an unspecified length and for an unspecified amount of time."
...in very small part because I had a cousin who had long hair and could never let someone compliment my hair, even after she had cut her hair short if someone complimented my hair she would interject and say something like "my hair used to be that long, but I donated it." I knew I had arrived when she said "I used to have long hair too."
...crazy long hair is unique and I like that.

But mostly I just think that my hair IS.

KittyBird
April 14th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Simply because I love having long hair. It makes me feel feminine and beautiful, and I love it when people go "ooooh your hair is so long!". Long hair just fits me better than short hair, because short hair makes me look like a boy :D

Dragon Faery
April 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I've just turned 74 years old and I wanted to have my hair long one more time. I never wear it down but I do love the way I can put it up quickly and it always looks good. After buying (at great expense) a Mason Pearson hairbrush for sensitive hair, my hair has never looked better or been more healthy.

I can recommend a Mason Pearson for fine thin long hair wholeheartedly.

Welcome! :) :flower:
You are now one of my role models. :) I hope to have silver, flowing hair one day.

I have a lot of reasons:
-I've admired and wanted long hair ever since I first knew such a thing existed.
-It's hard to make short curls look good.
-I feel naked with hair any shorter than BSL.
-It's never been longer than hip, and I've always secretly wanted at least knee.
-Long hair is magical and romantic.
-It's old-fashioned.
-I like to defy trends.
-I love playing around with updos.
-I'm curious to see what terminal is on me. ...I really hope it's past floor!
-It's fun. :)

KrystalPixie
April 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM
Growing it out from a pixie cut to "however long I can get it" for my wedding in April 2013

SacantRoese
April 23rd, 2012, 01:46 PM
Well, I've actually maintained my hair at waist-length for the past 8 years, but I have decided to grow it longer because of one reason;
A friend of mine told me that if I grew my hair any longer I'd look "Even cooler than those dudes in The Lord of The Rings."
Well, there are a few other reasons too, but that really inspired me for some reason.

Thenolegirl
April 23rd, 2012, 02:01 PM
I've pretty much always had long hair except four years ago when I cut it above shoulder length for locks of love.

I study Literature, and along with that comes my love of Renaissance artwork - all depicting beautiful women with long flowing hair (classic).

I also LOVE Lord of the Rings and Eowyn's long hair. It's just so feminine, ethereal, and regal looking. I'm also a geek and LOVE Renaissance fairs. In order to look the part in my future costumes and reenactments (also Civil War geek) I need the length to make the intricate braids and buns. =)

Bianca
April 23rd, 2012, 02:13 PM
I like how it looks, and it makes me feel pretty :)

I do not think I look good with short hair. Maybe I would, if I had thinner or straight hair, so it didn't poof out so much (triangle hair)... :D

marobader
April 23rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
I like long hair on people even on boys so I began to get myself one
my hair is curly so it look very sexy long

melusine963
April 23rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
I started wanting long hair because I wasn't allowed to have it. Now it's a bit of a challenge to see how long I can get it and still be happy with it. To begin with, I hadn't really thought about the potential for different hairstyles, but now it's a lot of fun learning to do new ones.

JellyBene
April 23rd, 2012, 03:11 PM
I am growing my hair out because I see it as a statement of beauty and confidence

Audhumla
April 23rd, 2012, 03:33 PM
As much as I liked having chin length hair (when it behaved :/) it was too much hassle. I got to a point where I refused to live in fear of wind and spend hours blowdrying my hair only for it to follow its own questionable styling scheme later in the day.
On top of that I've never liked the look of medium length hair. So I thought I'd aim for something over the top in the other direction.
The awesome updos are definitely an appealing aspect of long hair for me too.
Who wouldn't want hair that can accommodate a miniature sword as a styling accessory?!

pepperminttea
April 23rd, 2012, 03:57 PM
I really love how it makes me feel, the way the it moves, the ritual of looking after it. And I've always wanted a long, swinging braid. :cloud9:

henné
April 23rd, 2012, 03:59 PM
1. Manageability. THere is nothing better than being able to just put it in a pony tail or a bun and GO. :D

2. Maintenance. Nearly none if one doesn't consider washing, conditioning and oiling as maintenance (for me it is fun and pleasure). I mean maintenance as in having it cut. Also, I had to wash my hair much more frequently when it was short.

3. Looks. If you have long healthy shiny hair, it is always beautiful. Period. In my experience it can make anyone look good. It's easy to look gorgeous with a full head of soft long locks :D

Long hair is simple and simplicity = beauty to me, and so does health. That is why I want healthy long hair. However, I sometimes do envy (in a good way) women with extra short hair (boy short) that can pull it off and look gorgeous with it.

AdaClare
April 23rd, 2012, 04:06 PM
I love having long hair and enjoy taking care of it and trying different updo's. :)

Micayla47
April 23rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
i've wanted long hair my entire life! i can remember talking about it and wishing for it when i was 4 or 5 years old. it's never been past bsl because i'm a "hair saboteur". :confused: before lhc i had resigned myself to having shoulder--bsl hair for ever. now i don't believe that. i feel like i've come to the right place.

anyway, i just love long hair on me and on other people. i think it's feminine, dramatic, sensual, beautiful, luscious, ... you get the picture. :o

writer_mom
April 23rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
To be honest, I am not sure why yet. Usually about this time of year I shear a years worth of growth off for the coming summer months, but this year I delayed as I attempted to curl my hair for the first time in five years. I am sad to say it failed miserably, but my friend has turned me towards this forum and asked that I hold off for at least a month before cutting it off.

This friend has told me that straight hair can be just as pretty as curled hair. I cannot see that yet, but I am willing to hold out and try. I guess I am growing my hair out for the want to leave my life long frump phase and start taking more pride in my appearance without becoming vain. I want to feel not just pretty, but beautiful, and not just for my husband but, for the first time, for me. I don't want to hide anymore :).

Micayla47
April 23rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
It makes me feel unique.
i agree! anyone can have short hair.

Micayla47
April 23rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
Well, it's complicated.
When I was younger than 12 yrs, I didn't cut it because my parents were conservative-minded and because at that age, they made those decisions for me.
After that? Well, I couldn't muster up enough courage to tell my parents I wanted to cut it. It was a big pain-in-the-neck, or more accurately, a big pain-in-the-head.
I got more and more frustrated with it up until the day I found this site. (And in the nick of time, too! I was seriously thinking about cutting it after my 16th birthday.)
True story. Cross my heart. If you don't believe me, ask my family. They are so much happier that I joined this site, because they admire my hair. It's kind of funny, though, watching my younger bro telling me it's practically a sin to think about cutting it.
Now? Well, I just overly like my hair! :cool:

-K
i'm so happy too! LHC saved your beautiful hair!!!!!

Lici1209
April 24th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I've always had short hair, I wanted to try something new :] Also, I like the bohemian look of long hair.

sarelis
April 24th, 2012, 09:42 AM
My hair has always been fairly long, usually around waist length. In the past, when it reached around hip length (where it is now) I would get it cut back to between BSL & WL, this time I shooting for classic, just to see if I can! :)

vrm84
April 24th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Well, I just like long hair. But being a guy, I get mixed reactions from the opposite sex... Most of them are positive, but some are not. But usually the positive reactions are a lot stronger than the negative ones... I hope you know what I mean....

marykatz
April 24th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I was only growing mine so I could wear it in an undo for a March wedding I was in. But then I came to this site and was hooked....

Lize
April 24th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I've always wanted long hair but never had the patience to grow it. I think I have grown the patience now. I think long hair down to my waist or tailbone would look awesome! I'm rather tall for being a girl and I've always thought long hair looks really cool on tall women (and men). (And short people also of course, but identify more with the tall-ish ones..) And it's beautiful. Long and healthy hair is super beautiful!

DancingQueen
April 24th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I first decided to grow mine out, when my stylist decided that "Trim as little as possible, but no more than shoulder!" meant "Cut hair to chin against my will". :mad: I guess I thought if I had more hair, this would be less likely to happen again to this extent (chin-length did NOT suit me, and I had to straighten my hair every day, as I would look like a poodle if i didn't) :rolleyes:

I guess I do feel more beautiful and feminine with long hair, and way easier to manage. And my eyes are definitely opening to more updos. :p

ByGrace90
April 24th, 2012, 12:55 PM
My hair is super curly so I would like to wear it down without straightening right. I want waist length hair! But I'm so impatient, but I feel that short hair doesn't match my personality. I like a bold, feminine look.

Naiadryade
April 24th, 2012, 01:11 PM
For one, I think long hair is beautiful. I've thought so and wanted very long hair since I was like 5 years old. When I was 17-18 I cut my hair quite short, up to my earlobes... which was fun for a while for a change, but after a year or so it started to just not feel like me. I feel more like myself when I have long hair. It's almost an identity thing.

Plus I love to play with it, and have other people play with it--it feels nice to my hands and to my head! And the longer it gets, the better a blanket it makes. I like having the options of letting my hair down and feeling warmer, or putting it up and feeling cooler--without having to carry extra layers!

ETA: I can't wait until my hair is long enough to wear it in a style that protects the ends, but still leaves my neck/shoulders blanketed with hair for warmth...!

Linika
April 24th, 2012, 01:18 PM
In no particular order:
1. I never got to have long hair when I was little, mum would cut it at chinlength till my early teen years.
2. I think long hair is beautiful.
3. It makes me feel beautiful.
4. It's fun!
5. I'm lazy. I would just get frustrated with having short hair and having to maintain the length/style.
6. There are a lot of interesting up dos to be tried.
7. Hair toys for longer hair are mor fun than for short.
8. I love the feeling of it brushing over my back and the way it tickles my elbows those moments I wear it loose.
9. I like the surprise on peoples faces when I wear it loose.
10. It's something I can take pride in.
11. It gives me a reason to pamper my self.

I could probably come up with loads and loads more... I just love to have my hair long <3

millyaulait
April 24th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I want to feel pretty again..

It also gives me something to focus on & make me feel good about.

:)

Singinghoneybee
April 24th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I'm totally in for the updos.

long&blonde
April 24th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I've always thought that on women 55 and older.
Super long hair looked mystical, magical: Goddess.

Dragon Faery
April 24th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Well, I've actually maintained my hair at waist-length for the past 8 years, but I have decided to grow it longer because of one reason;
A friend of mine told me that if I grew my hair any longer I'd look "Even cooler than those dudes in The Lord of The Rings."
Well, there are a few other reasons too, but that really inspired me for some reason.

This is a totally awesome reason. :) And I'm sure there are many others on this forum who agree. :cheese:

spookyghost
April 24th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I think long hair is just so beautiful and sexy:) It also makes me feel young. Oh and my hubby just loves it:p

elisabeta_b
April 24th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Because I think I look so much prettier with long hair.

MagicalMystery
April 24th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Because everyone tells me not to. :P I had long hair as a child, and think my curls would look beautiful long. Any nay sayers are just jealous. :p

GenLove86
April 24th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I have this memory of my mother when I was very younge.. she had hair extentions that went to her tail bone. They matched her natural hair very well and she looked stunning. From that point, I wanted hair just like hers. I lost interest in my teens but now in my mid twenties (about the time that she had the extentions), I decided to go for it. So now I am on a journey to grow my own hair and to do it properly. Now my mother has a thyroid problem and her hair is very brittle and she had to get a short haircut. As I'm learning, I'm giving her pointers on how to take care of her hair. So far it is working nicely! :)

Valorie
April 24th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I like extremes.

CheekAllison
April 24th, 2012, 08:10 PM
It used to be just to make my mom mad, but now that she has come to terms with my hair, I refuse to seriously cut it for religious reasons.

Kalimac
April 24th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Short answer: I keep it naturally curly now, and it looks shorter than I want it to look.

Longer answer: My hair has always been "long." My mom kept it braided nearly every day of my childhood. I started straightening it when I reached my teens, and since I'd never bothered to get it cut for a style or anything it was usually somewhere between BSL and waist length. Not through any effort of my own.
When I decided to keep the damaging heat off of my hair and keep it moisturized I kept my natural curls. Consequently my hair shrunk up dramatically to just past my shoulders!
I want it to my waist while still curly.

Springgrl
April 24th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I am a quiet kind of rebel.
Hair this long is unique.
The longer it is, the more womanly I feel.
And, my hair is one of my few physical attributes that gets better over time.

Quiet kind of rebel... that describes me perfectly! That is why I have had long hair my whole life :)

cremenoir
April 24th, 2012, 11:09 PM
every time i've ever had long hair, i've always severely abused it with dye, bleach, blow frying and flat ironing almost every day, swimming in chlorine constantly, ripping a brush through it, never moisturizing, styling with very low-quality, drying products... you name the evil, my poor hair has suffered it.

then i found a picture of myself when i was really young, shortly before the abuse began... and i had hair somewhere between BSL and waist and it was healthy, my natural color, and wavy, and i fell in love with it. i decided i'd try anything to get that hair back.

when i joined tLHC i had severely damaged, bleached shoulder length hair and i wanted to start all over again. a whole new head of hair. it's been over a year now and i've learned so many great tips, and given up SO many bad habits... and although my hair is still only shoulder length, almost all the old bleach damage is gone, and my hair is healthier than it's been in 13 years, since that picture was taken. it's finally healthy enough for me to give up trimming for a while and just let it grow grow grow, and i'm so glad i've made it this far! couldn't have stuck with it if it weren't for the support of all you fine people :)

happy growing everyone!

dragonmyst
April 24th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Hi writer_mom! Glad you found this place! :happydance:

**stage whispers; I'm an enabler!**

**coughs**

I am growing out my hair because I want to see how long terminal is for me. And I've seen myself with short hair. Yuck.

I feel beautiful, sexy, feminine and well comfortable with long hair. I can get it out of my face easier than with short hair.

And really, why not?

*Rose Red*
April 28th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Quiet kind of rebel...
I like that!

Bene
April 28th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Long story short (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=83415): It feels nice on my back when I tilt my head backwards and it goes swish swish swish.

Phexlyn
April 28th, 2012, 05:16 AM
As others have said, I simply love long hair and I love doing updos (especially updos others can't do because their hair is not long enough!).

But I also have a personal reason: Noone in my family has really long hair, and it's been like that for quite some time, with the exception of my great grandmother. She used to have very fine silver hair down to her tailbone which she always kept in a tiny bun at the nape of her neck. Others didn't even expect her hair to be that long because it was so fine and thin that the bun looked really small. I'm a bit sad because I never knew her, she died long before I was born, but having long hair of a similar quality (except for the colour, but maybe the years will change that?) somehow makes me feel connected to her and my family. And I want to be a granny with really long silver hair someday, too :)

MissTulip
April 28th, 2012, 11:58 AM
All the reasons you listed except for the challenge part lol.
I love the ease of having it long. Sure, it can be a pain to detangle sometimes, but it would be a pain anyway since it's curly. I can pretty much wash and go if I want to now. If I tried to do that before at BSL, it would shrink up around my ears lmao.

catamonica
April 28th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I have always liked long hair. I want to get it as long as possible.

Clem_Dela
April 28th, 2012, 12:36 PM
enjoy a challenge?
ability for fun updos?
something else?

what about you?

I would say all of the above :)

Dr. Girlfriend
April 28th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I think I look better with longer hair. It's too thick and puffy to wear short.

Hosta
April 28th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I had a pixie for years and it never looked good unless I blow dried it because of my waves. I loved to wear hats when I was younger, but after I cut my hair I always hated the way they looked. Last summer when my mom passed away, I saw my aunt who always wears her hair in a french twist. I always think of her looking so elegant with her hair up. I want long healthy hair and to be able to wear it up. Everyone tells me in my fifties I should have short hair but they are wrong. This morning my DH told me he loved being able to put his hands in my hair again.

ozzy
April 30th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I don't feel Me with shorter hair.

whitebengal
May 7th, 2012, 02:08 PM
1. I love long hair!
2. My hair is really curly when short.
3. I looove the attention i get from it :o
4. I like the never ending selection of hairstyles to choose from! :D

Ephemeral
May 7th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I had to chop my hair very short due to damage and it made me realize how important my hair is to me. I cried when they cut it (well, after I left the salon anyway. I was able to be a big girl while I was there.) It wasn't even very long at the time, maybe shoulder length. I don't feel attractive with short hair and wish I had waist length - or longer.

DarkCurls
May 7th, 2012, 02:39 PM
1. I feel pretty with long hair. I love the way it looks, on me or other people. There's something arrestingly beautiful about longer hair. I'm sure I'm not the only one who stares at passing strangers with classic-length hair and think, Wow. (Also, I wonder if she has a lot of split ends.)
2. Long hair is different, the average length where I live being about shoulder-length or maybe bra-strap.
3. I love the versatility of long hair... I can leave it down or put it up in a cool, fancy updo my friends (and mother!) will just stare at and try to figure out but won't be able to. :D
4. I like playing with it.
5. Childhood dream... I've always wanted long hair. Guess it makes me feel princess-y or something.
6. I love braids. Now I (finally) have longish hair (WL), I can make a French braid that looks like something, and my French herringbones actually turn out pretty. Braided buns, rope braids, etc... Most of these I only learned to do on myself in the past month or so, though I've been doing them on other people for years. I find braids so pretty.

FireFromWithin
May 7th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I'm mostly growing mine because I don't like how I look with shorter hair (I am convinced that last time I cut it to shoulder length I looked like one of the characters from lady and the tramp).
I also love to play with my hair, I know it's not good for my hair but for me there is no point to long hair if I can't play with it, and try out new styles. Especially ones I just make up as I go along.
Although I don't want really long hair, my goal is waist (might stretch to tailbone but no further because I am insanely clumsy and would likely get it caught continuously on things)
Oh, and my boy friend makes a face every time I even talk about cutting it short(er) ;)

kallarina
May 7th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Another reason for me...
I always imagined my wedding with me on a beach, in a really beachy dress, getting married with no shoes on, and my long, loose hair blowing in the wind...
Basically, defying every "rule" of getting married that there is.
It just wouldn't be the same if I wasn't growing my hair long.

Soltimus
May 8th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I used to always cut my hair off so it was short and spiky, but a few years back I decided to grow it out just to see how long I could get it before it drove me insane, ha ha. I actually ended up cutting it off again in what I think was a slightly manic state, but I've been growing it out since then (it did need a few visits to a salon to make it look normal after that special little incident, ha ha ha).

Being a history nerd I came across an article about a burial find from the iron age here in Denmark, and the lady in the grave wore her hair in a very interesting way. I can't have a dead iron age lady have better hair than me so I'm now really growing it out just so I can try wearing my hair in that style. That's when I joined LHC to make my hair growing plans official!

red-again
May 8th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Because I turned 40 and saw too many friends chop their hair off at that age. I've always had short hair because I love it and it's different. That's pretty much the reason I'm growing it now. I've never been very good with random rules and senseless expectations.

I am 39 this week abd like you most of my friends have started to become al sensible and doing 'what they should' I am growing my hair to waist (trying to anyway!) and have had two tattoos.

I am not having a mid life crisis, just enjoying my mid-life!

Neneka
May 8th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I just miss my long hair every time I chop it. I feel more attrective with it and I like the feeling of long hair. :)

ladyofrohan
May 8th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I like how I feel with long hair, and the fact that I can do different styles with it. Also, I really love history and fantasy and I'm hoping to get into re-enactment, where long hair would be a bonus.

papillon
May 9th, 2012, 11:15 PM
I've always admired people whose hair looked like it belonged to them. Something about the color, style, and cut matched the person. It's taken me a while to realize that long hair is my look.

gogirlanime
May 9th, 2012, 11:22 PM
1. I think long hair is pretty (but I also think short hair is too :p)
2. I've never had hair beyond about BSL and I want waist
3. My boyfriend likes longer hair (but would love me however :) )
4. There are more styles to do with longer hair
5. I like to do beauty tests on myself, like being a test subject so it's fun figuring out what makes your hair grow and behave
6. I want to get rid of years of damage and make my hair thicker.

LadyHazel
May 10th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Because I was stunning until I went and hacked my hair off, there's no question about it that some people can pull off short hair and some people... well.. it's just a disaster (it was most certainly a disaster for me!)

It's individual, a lot of people have the impression that long hair makes you sexier but in the 1920's the androgenous look was classified as sexy and that included bobs and short hair cuts,

I think everyone's beautiful anyway, I'm just an enemy to myself :P!

pyroliske
May 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I was never allowed to have long hair as a kid, and my hair would always end up like rats tails if I tried to grow it as i got older. Now I'm determined to grow it (although I keep getting the urge to cut it).

Every time I see Jennifer Anniston or Courtney Cox I'm always jealous of their lovely long hair, and I usually see it when I have short hair myself. But not anymore, I'm looking after my hair, it's below my shoulders now and it is lovely and shiny and soft. I just have to stay away from the hairdresser as they like to snip snip it all away :D

lilliemer
May 10th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Because I think it looks pretty and I would love to be able to do all the buns and updos! I think I would also like feeling the weight of a lot of hair on my head. (Does that sound weird?) I also have this weird obsession with pulling my split ends apart and growing my hair long is going to be proof that I am kicking this terrible habit.

Growing up, I was never allowed to have long hair because my mother hated taking care of it. I always had to have a pageboy with bangs. So many of my friends had beautiful long ponytails and I wished so intensely to have hair like that! Not to mention all the long haired heroines in fairy tales and novels and movies. When i got older I developed a severe case of "curly-hair denial syndrome" in which I inflicted exponentially increasing amounts of damage on my wavy-curly hair by trying to browbeat it into being straight every day. I still really wanted long hair but it was too damaged to grow well and my mother always told me how ugly it looked and intimidated me into cutting it off into bobs. Well, chin- to shoulder-length bobs on my hair type turn into unmanageable triangle-poofs and I still always felt like that dorky little kid who used to braid ribbons into her hair to pretend it was longer. i'm new to LHC and it is super inspiring to look at everyone's lovely long hair regardless of age, hair type, etc. When i am tempted to pick at my hair I have been lurking and now posting...so thanks for the community!

ArienEllariel
May 10th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Cause I feel myself with long hair. It's pretty and easier for me than short hair. And I've always admired longhaired princesses (specifically Disney princesses). I've never really felt like a princess growing up, comparing myself with other girls (you know we all have done it), so now is my chance to live my dreams. :)

hairconvictions
May 11th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Through my search for God I was introduced to the 1 Cor 11 part in the Bible where it talks about women with "long" (meaning uncut) hair. I did some more research on it, to make sure it lined up with the rest of the Bible and then I made my decision. Since that day I have not trimmed or cut my hair and I feel far more connected in my spiritual experience. It makes me very happy to be able to "do something" for God.

What can you get someone who has everything? :P

I continue growing it for the reason mentioned above, but also because I feel much prettier and it's very fun to play with :D

onlyforhim
May 11th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Long hair is just beautiful, and more feminine..

I have many reasons to grow it long..

My man loves it long and wishes to see it the way it was before we met (hip i guess)
Hair is also energy... this will take long to explain... I am not sikh...but I love the way they think of hair...if you cut your hand ..leg etc? will it ever grow back? no...but if you cut your hair to a certain time it will KEEP coming back..... there must be a reason why God keeps giving it back to us...

It takes a lot of patience to grow long hair.....

I hardly ever see long hair nowadays...(but in this forum I see many)
I am tried of cutting...styling...
and I just want whatever is "natural"...long hair is :)

constructamane
May 11th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I am growing my hair for 2 reasons:
Hair donation, in honor of my mother who died of Breast Cancer, and dealt with loosing all of her hair
Because I haven't had long hair in probably 40 years, and want to experience it again.

constructamane
May 11th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Lilliemer....I feel your pain of the past! Recently, in the news, there is this little girl who disappeared in Tuscon, AZ. Her hair in the pics on TV looks SOOO great! I never had long hair as a child because my mother would get it cut short! I think I had pig tails at one time, but it was NEVER long. This little girl had her long hair styled in braids, updos and staight, and you could tell her Mom had taken the time and patience to do it. BUT MOM also HAS BSL length hair!

My Mom always had short hair herself, although I remember seeing pictures of her in her 20s/30's with her hair in an updo. Even my grandmother, I remember, did not have long hair (fathers side). And I did not have a daughter, but, to me, it would be a GREAT bonding time for Mom and daughter. If I ever have a granddaughter, I will try and convince my Daughter(s) in law to keep it long SO I CAN GROOM IT!

To tell you the truth, I am in the same situation with learning what to do with my hair when it is long....even braiding my hair....I use to braid it as a kid.....I haven't actually done it in 40 yrs!

Tisiloves
May 11th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Because I love plaits and updos (also because my Mum and sisters view my ability to French my own hair as a form of witchcraft, so I want to get it long enough that I can do some really fancy stuff). :magic:

browneyedsusan
May 11th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I'm with Hosta. I've worn a pixie for 15 years because it was easy, and my hair wasn't pretty--the color and texture changed drastically after I had children. I looked okay in it, but then the gray jumped in. I visited the hairdresser often, and loved the auburn and strawberry colors she made it, but it only looked good for a week or 2 before it faded away and I felt drab again. Then I stumbled on henna and tried it for a lark. Holy-moley!!! The red stays in there! My hair is strong and soft and dazzling in the sun! I'm getting compliments. A lot of compliments. From strangers on the street, in the grocery, in restaurants. I'm not a complete idiot. My hair must look way better than it ever has. So I'm growing it out. I don't care if I'm middle-aged and graying and my natural hair is like the hair of a possum. The henna makes me feel beautiful, and who doesn't like feeling like that?

sharonluvscats
May 29th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I had a bowl cut when I was little. Does anyone remember those? Everyone thought that I was a little boy. I hated it! My mother made me cut it because my hair tangled very easily. I made a vow that when I was an adult I would never have short hair.

Also, my bf loves my hair. I love my hair too. I don't think hair this pretty should be short. It makes me feel confident. :D

LuxAurea
May 29th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I wish to have long hair because I think that it is beautiful!!! :D
I like feel my hair on my shoulders and I love run with my hair loose
:D

I remember that several years ago, in Italy, passed on tv a spot about a drink... there was a beautiful girl with loooong red hair ( I remember that her hair reach her thigh) and a bit curly, she start to dance flamenco on a table...
I always dream to be beautiful like her... :(

RitaCeleste
May 29th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Well, all my life I've mostly liked the process of growing out my hair. I just wash it, maybe cut bangs, add layers if I want them and let it grow. Occasionally I've cut it in a shag or a bob or a wedge because that is the look I wanted. The rest of the time its in some state of growing out. Its hit my waist a couple of times before. When I was younger my best friend's grandma cut hair. She was wonderful, she could layer my hair and it was wash and wear and looked great. My friend was always after me to have my hair cut. There was one salon I went to after she retired and they didn't do me too bad. Every time I walked into any other place to get a cut, it ended up horrible. People would look at my hair and say, "You need to go get a cut." So like the last three times I went in and picked something and got a cut and no one like them at all. I got ticked. I was only getting a cut because someone else wanted me to look "done". People would say, "Your ends look fried." And I'd run home and lop 4 inches off the ends. A week later those ends would look fried. Was my hair ever fried? No, my hair is coarse and wavy and I love my brush. That is just how it looks, period. My ex insisted the other day that everyone needs to the salon and get a cut now and then. I told him "No they don't!" And that's how I feel about it now. The girl that he works with likes to dress up, likes to get her hair done, likes to wear perfume. She even wears false eyelashes. That's not me, well not often anyway. I can put on makeup and glam it up with the best of them once in awhile. I like a laid back easy style for everyday, people just need to deal with it. My hair is long because I don't have any better ideas for it and no one else does either. Oh, they have ideas and they can do that to their own head all day, they can leave my head alone now.

GoblinTart
May 30th, 2012, 03:53 AM
All the above. It's easier for me to style. It makes me feel beautiful. I can do updos.

Altariel
May 30th, 2012, 04:05 AM
I have had short hair for almost my entire life and I got bored.
Now I'm in the horrible phase when your hair are to short to do anything with them (almost because of layers) but they cover my hair ... I'm trying to avoid the problem using an alice band.
Also I want them longer to do a lot of hairstyles :)

jasper
May 30th, 2012, 04:14 AM
I grew it long because I was to busy/ lazy/ indecisive to get it cut!

Ticky
May 30th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Before, it was mostly at shoulder length, so I just wanted to see what it would be like to have hair this long :)

hendrickx
May 30th, 2012, 05:00 AM
My long hair journey started when I retired 2 1/2 years ago. I tell people that there hasn't cost of living allowance raise for social security and I can't afford a hair cut. This year I got a whole 5 buck raise per month. I can go to super cuts every three months or have a good glass of beer once a month. I'll take the beer.

I've gotten to like my hair, it's below APL now and very healthy thanks to the information here. I turned 70 recently and get a lot strange looks, mostly by short haired old people. I'm a guy. Pictures comming as I can get my DW to take some.

John

My journey started during a broke month where I needed a haircut, then work got insane for 3 months. One day my wife said "You look good with longer hair, why don't you grow it out?" that was 13 months ago.

All the folks who said they love how it feels and swishes? YES, I'm so happy with that. I like to play with it too. Love it when my wife plays with it. :eyebrows:

Arciela
May 30th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I miss my super long hair! I've always had long hairy whole life, just never managed to get to classic...my new goal :)

TazM
May 30th, 2012, 05:11 AM
I'm growing it long because for the last 15 years I have hated my hair, I hated the natural colour so I bleached it and dyed it and hacked it off but now I've realised I love my natural hair colour, and hair in general, although it is still quite damaged from the last year or so of straighteners. So it seems impossible to have it really long and healthy, because I can't really remember a time when it was. So I feel like it's a challenge, even though part of me thinks it will never happen, but it would be really good to wake up one day and go "Whoah! I did it!" :)

Misty'sMess
May 30th, 2012, 05:47 AM
I'm growing my hair because I love braids and would love one that reached all the way down my back. I want to sit on my tassel :)

Pixie0763
May 30th, 2012, 06:18 AM
I haven't had long hair since I was a 10 year old kid, and I'd like to be able to do braids & updos.

battle_angel
May 30th, 2012, 07:15 AM
This thread is fun! Interesting to see the many reasons people have. :)

I'm growing out my hair simply because I think long hair is beautiful and also because it makes me feel feminine, attractive and glamorous. I love the feeling of hair down my back or blowing in the wind and recently as it has grown out I also love to play with it, to feel it's smoothness and silkiness in my hand :-P

If you have long hair then it is true you have to take care of it and have to devote exclusive time for hair care - that is definitely a minus point and I totally understand why some people prefer shorter hair. Both options have their advantages and disadvantages, in the end I think it's more a matter of personal preference than anything.

Happy growing everyone! ^_^
-Laetitia

Eleentje
May 30th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I'm growing my hair because I think long hair is beautiful and I feel pretty having long hair! I also love braiding my hair, trying different updos and searching for new updos, braids and hair toys. I also LOVE the feeling of my hair touching my back or the wind blowing through my hair. And pictures on LHC inspire me :D

Amapola
May 30th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I always wanted long hair, it's just so romantic and beautiful... but I kept it short due to my work. Well, we moved way out to the country, really far out in the sticks, and it's just really hard to get your hair cut here. And when your hair is short, you have to keep cutting it all the time to keep it looking more or less good. I couldn't afford it either, so I quit cutting it and the inevitable result was, it got longer. :)

And I liked it. And I thought, why not try for long hair as I've always wanted? I didn't know if I could do it but fortunately found this site, with lots of tips and help and a nice community, so long hair, here I come!

ETA: Oh, and I'm not saving any money either because now I'm buying hair toys! :D

adiapalic
May 30th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I just like the way it looks and feels. :)

SongofLove
June 6th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Long hair is like a fun toy! :D

Bopoluchi
June 6th, 2012, 10:57 PM
cos it feels good, its fun and i find long hair strangely comforting. i also think that long, thick hair looks super dramatic, which is fun for me as a performer. hooray! my 25th post!

akilina
June 6th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Long hair is very appealing to me. I would feel more attractive and feminine in a sense.
I haven't had long hair since I was 13 and even then, it wasn't that long it was just all one length and about to BSL but it felt great. Not sure why I chopped it all to my chin basically...I guess that is just what happens when you are just barely a teenager.
For the last 7 years I haven't had hair even close to that length. It is time!

DancingQueen
June 7th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I feel way more feminine and beautiful with long hair - I don't think hair shorter than shoulder suits my face. And I miss my long hair, and all the things you can do with it. It is easier to take care of as well. :)

honeybunnie8
June 7th, 2012, 12:58 AM
I do it for the updos and because I'm to cheap and lazy to go to a salon. lol
I cut my WL hair to APL recently because my hair was always in the way with a newborn, so now that he is older I'm just letting it go again.