PDA

View Full Version : Another hair typing question, sigh ;)

oktobergoud
March 29th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Hello everyone!

Just a simple question, I guess. I have classified my hair as fine/medium, since it's.. well.. a bit of everything I guess. But when I find a loose strand, it's always sort of thick and well I roll it back and forth it can make the most horrible sounds! (I even recorded one today but it's giving me sort of goosebumps, like when someone scratches a chalkboard or something)
So I guess that also classifies as coarse, right? Or is my hair just really dry or something?

Could it be that I'm just a F/M/C? :P Or maybe a M/C after all? I guess my hair looks baby fine as a whole, but when I see the strands apart they don't look that fine to me! But it has a lot of those typical fine-hair qualities I guess...

And why is there no F/M/C option? :(

torrilin
March 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Phalanopsis has a really good article about being 1a/F/iii. Her hair is VERY extreme and a type that with the way people talk, you'd think is just awesome. After all, it's so fine and soft! It's so thick and luxuriant! And it's so straight she can't possibly need a straightener! I found it really helpful while I was figuring out my hair's texture.

oktobergoud
March 30th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Ah okay, thanks! Will check it out! :)

Mesmerise
March 30th, 2012, 02:15 AM
I think if overall the strands appear thickish you're more likely to be M, even if you've got a few F hairs. It's hard to determine whether it'd be M or C though. Although, my Mish hair doesn't really make a noise when rubbed between my fingers.

My best friend's hair is probably a C, and that's because her individual strands just look thicker than mine! It is certainly thicker in texture. While my daughter's hair is overall thinner (the strands, NOT the iii thickness hair!) so I would call her more an F (although I've seen even finer hair!

Hehe. I think if you've got a few C and a few F hairs, but it's mostly M... then just go with M as a type! Also look at other people's hair, cause that can give you a good indication.

Katze
March 30th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Wow your hair is gorgeous! Lovely color - is that henna?

I list my hairtype as similar to yours and Mesmerize, since most of my hair is either F or M. F strands feel like spiderwebs - like nothing - between your fingers. M strands have some texture to them. I do have some C strands - they always remind me of horsehair :silly: when I shed - I think these come from my overall coarser, curlier nape area, but I am never sure.

I'm also getting more of these 'C' hairs as I get older. Weird...but since most of my hair is really either F or M, and my crown hair - what people see when it is over moisturized! is fine, it is important that I treat my hair as fine hair, if that makes sense.

One thing that helps me is putting extra leave-in on the coarser areas, since that hair does seem to need more moisture....