PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with shampoos a bad thing?

Sharpay
March 29th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I have so many shampoos and just went and bought more! I'm trying to figure out what really works for my hair. Is that a bad thing for my hair that I change up shampoos a lot? Since I have so many in my shower I don't use the same one every time I wash my hair. I just want to make sure because I don't want to do damage to my hair.

caadam
March 29th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I think if you really want to know how one, specific shampoo is going to affect your hair and scalp, you need to stick with just that shampoo for a good amount of time, maybe 2+weeks. Just IMHO. :D

moxamoll
March 29th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I can't think of how it would damage your hair (maybe others can?) but you won't be able to truly evaluate how well your hair likes a particular shampoo. I believe the rule of thumb is 2-3 weeks of any routine to truly see what the effects are. If you switch up every day, there's no way to know what the culprit is if you get an effect you don't like. Or what the "miracle" is, if you get an effect you do like!

spidermom
March 29th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Read the labels.
I would guess that most of the ingredients are pretty much the same things in the same order.

Waste of money.

ktani
March 29th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I have so many shampoos and just went and bought more! I'm trying to figure out what really works for my hair. Is that a bad thing for my hair that I change up shampoos a lot? Since I have so many in my shower I don't use the same one every time I wash my hair. I just want to make sure because I don't want to do damage to my hair.

I see no problem with that at all. If your hair does not react well to one or you have a skin reaction, shampoos can be used around the house to clean and depending on how strongly coloured one is to wash out tights, pantyhose and underwear.

Carolyn
March 29th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I am one who always switches products each time I wash my hair. I have gunky, limp hair if I don't. It's never hurt my hair. I don't think there is a lot of difference in most shampoos unless one contains and ingredient you are allergic to. Shampoo is shampoo. However since I am fond of buying products I tend to buy the matching shampoo when I get a new conditioner. Conditioner is what really makes the difference for me.

jacqueline101
March 29th, 2012, 06:10 PM
It would depend on the type like if you have clarifying shampoo and regular shampoo that's how I am. My big two shampoos. I have two conditioners, monistat, and my oil.

Bunnysaur
March 29th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Read the labels.
I would guess that most of the ingredients are pretty much the same things in the same order.

Waste of money.

I agree. Most commercial shampoos seem to be about the same, chemically. The difference is usually how much of it is water/surfactants.

Anje
March 29th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Personally, I'd spend more time and money experimenting with conditioners than with shampoos. They really seem to make more of a difference to hair and scalp health than shampoo does, for me anyway.

Sharpay
March 30th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Thank you ladies for your advice :) I am going to try the shampoos I have for a while then possibly try just conditioner. Idk though bc I have pretty oily hair every day even if I wash it so idk how the conditioner will do bc I can't put it on the top of my scalp or my hair will be oily. It's not as bad as it used to be, that changed some 2 yrs ago after I had my child but honestly everything about my hair changed then lol

lilgreengoblin
March 30th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I'm an oily girl too. Don't put conditioner on you scalp. Start about 3 inches down from your scalp to your tips. It really helps. I only do conditioner on my whole head once a week for a deep condition and wear my hair up in case it looks greasy.