PDA

View Full Version : White dots --> splits?

Pinkster8
March 29th, 2012, 03:11 PM
When I look at my ends I notice a pretty large number of white dots, but on the very end, like the end has broken off. I have a relatively small number of actual splits... Do these white dots turn into splits after they break? I would think they would but then wouldn't I have more splits than I currently do? :confused:

white.chocolate
March 29th, 2012, 03:17 PM
You mean at the tip of your hair strands, right? Yes, they are tiny split ends, and like all split ends can split more with time.

Madora
March 29th, 2012, 03:29 PM
You might want to investigate using mineral oil to keep those white dots at a minimum:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Also, if you are S and Ding, be sure your shears are SHARP. Dull shears can cause white dots.

Pinkster8
March 29th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I've been using mineral oil on my hair while damp, and it's helped some... I really need another trim but I'm going to wait until after prom so I can cut off any damage I get from my prom style. Besides S&D, mineral oil and being gentle is there anything else I can do to make it that long? Prom is April 28th.

Damage.... So frustrating! Thanks for the replies though!! :)

ktani
March 29th, 2012, 03:55 PM
When I look at my ends I notice a pretty large number of white dots, but on the very end, like the end has broken off. I have a relatively small number of actual splits... Do these white dots turn into splits after they break? I would think they would but then wouldn't I have more splits than I currently do? :confused:

The answer is no, not always or a given as you can see from your own hair. Both can be caused by dryness and white dots in particular in my experience, from mechanical damage, when I have been careless. It means to me, that my hair has more moisture in it than not. ETA: I have no split ends at all that I can find but I do get some white dots once in a while. I used to have a lot of both and splits in particular, until catnip and mineral oil/baby oil helps me keep it that way, when I use it.

There are some links at the end of my article here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118 that may help you.