PDA

View Full Version : Whey protein for follicles

Pages : 1 [2]

Tia2010
June 28th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Buzfan-- It's also good for the heart. But, with protein, you need more water to get the nitrogen bonds out. That's what she was talking about. Having too much protein can be hard on your kidneys, and bones. You need around the right amount for your activity level, weight, age.

This is why people with dialysis, need to have an exact amount of protein per day or their kidneys could shut down.

Yes. My son is very active. He works out 2 hours a day 6 days a week, is very health concious and he still managed to overdo the protein balance and end up in the ER. He didn't think he was overdoing the protein but he was..and he wasnt balancing it with proper hydration during training. .So overdoing anything, even something good can be dangerous!

firegypsy
June 28th, 2012, 09:56 AM
rhabdomyolysis? cause that's not really from too much dietary protein, is it? That's overtraining plus underhydration, right?

Maybe that's not what you're talking about though. :)

CurlyMopTop
June 28th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I don't think surferB was saying it was...just using it as an example.

This is why people with dialysis, need to have an exact amount of protein per day or their kidneys could shut down.

People on dialysis already have kidneys that did shut down. That's the part I don't understand. What's the example? Or was she trying to convey a different message and it just came out wrong? Either way, I thought it was worth clearing up, or for me to learn something new. No rudeness intended. :D

Tia2010
June 28th, 2012, 10:04 AM
rhabdomyolysis? cause that's not really from too much dietary protein, is it? That's overtraining plus underhydration, right?

Maybe that's not what you're talking about though. :)

I'm not sure of the name..just what he told me (he's grown and lives on his own so i don't get first hand doctors info anymore :p ) But his doctor did say it was caused by the protein.

But my son realllly overdid the protein! I'm sure most people here wouldn't do it to the extreme he was! It was more of a cautionary tale so anyone thinking more=better=longer hair would be careful :D

firegypsy
June 28th, 2012, 10:05 AM

People on dialysis already have kidneys that did shut down. That's the part I don't understand. What's the example? Or was she trying to convey a different message and it just came out wrong? Either way, I thought it was worth clearing up, or for me to learn something new. No rudeness intended. :D

no, you're right, I just don't think that she was putting it out there as a cautionary example for people who want to use protein powders. I could be wrong too. I read it more as an extreme example to illustrate why protein consumption *can* stress the kidneys in an unhealthy individual. Not relevant to us necessarily. Kind of more of a stream of consciousness thing.

Just adding my two cents as I don't know for sure what was intended!

As with all nutrition it's a very individual thing. I require more protein than many people, even when I'm not hugely physically active. If I followed the general guidelines for nutrition I'd be sick indeed. I am conscious of what too much protein can do so I can be watchful. But I'm also someone that functions better mentally in ketosis so that explains a lot!

CurlyMopTop
June 28th, 2012, 10:13 AM
no, you're right, I just don't think that she was putting it out there as a cautionary example for people who want to use protein powders. I could be wrong too. I read it more as an extreme example to illustrate why protein consumption *can* stress the kidneys in an unhealthy individual. Not relevant to us necessarily. Kind of more of a stream of consciousness thing.

Just adding my two cents as I don't know for sure what was intended!

As with all nutrition it's a very individual thing. I require more protein than many people, even when I'm not hugely physically active. If I followed the general guidelines for nutrition I'd be sick indeed. I am conscious of what too much protein can do so I can be watchful. But I'm also someone that functions better mentally in ketosis so that explains a lot!

Lol... I too need more protein than recommended and I know I'm not as active as many. Is that what you think she meant? That too much protein can cause kidney failure? :confused: I've heard that about Biotin and certain other things as well.

firegypsy
June 28th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Yeah, the biotin thing makes no sense to me. Still doesn't. I have a huge history of antibiotic use which can seriously mess with biotinase receptors. I require a LOT of biotin due to my individual situation, but still I can't see how dosing above the RDA can create liver/kidney problems. I'm not saying it can't, I just can't find anything to suggest that in the literature.

A lot of people say that being in ketosis can stress the liver/kidneys, but that's not strictly true. I think people OFTEN use ketosis and ketoacidosis interchangeably when they aren't interchangeable at all.

High protein diets can be problematic in several situations and people do like to talk about how it can make the body "acidic" which I personally think is a misunderstanding of the situation. As with everything, it's important to understand your body. I think that's all anyone is ever going to be able to agree on.

firegypsy
June 28th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I'm not sure of the name..just what he told me (he's grown and lives on his own so i don't get first hand doctors info anymore :p ) But his doctor did say it was caused by the protein.

But my son realllly overdid the protein! I'm sure most people here wouldn't do it to the extreme he was! It was more of a cautionary tale so anyone thinking more=better=longer hair would be careful :D

Sorry I wasn't clear. In a situation like that was it the protein from the breakdown of muscle that was the issue or the dietary protein? Those are very different things and they may not have differentiated between them. That's all I meant. :)

leslissocool
June 28th, 2012, 03:21 PM
High protein diets can be problematic in several situations and people do like to talk about how it can make the body "acidic" which I personally think is a misunderstanding of the situation. As with everything, it's important to understand your body. I think that's all anyone is ever going to be able to agree on.

simple carbs like grains (http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm), sugar, and starchy vegetables are the ones that are actually what makes people have too much acidity in their diet ^.^

firegypsy
June 28th, 2012, 03:25 PM
well, I lean more towards that myself, but I think that's even missing the point ever so slightly. I think damage and things that strip nutrients like refined grains and sugars are what cause acidity as the body works pulling nutrients from the bones restore balance. I think meat in someone with certain kinds of damage is something that can restore balance because of how long it takes to break down, slower transit time etc. Not for everyone, mind you, but I think that meat gets a super bad rap.

christyrose
June 28th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Everything good always has people saying something wrong with it... Fast food/processed food and sugar gets less crap said about it than vitamins/minerals and nuterience for crying out loud... I think of course you can overdo something, but an extra 18-21 grams of protein a day isnt going to hurt someone. Sure if you eat a ton of protein as it is then why would you need the extra protein?

It just feels like if someone claimed to get hair growth through eating cheeseburgers everyday less bad things would be said than them using something healthy... If there were concerns about damage with too much there would be a warning label required by law to be on the package.

Carissamarie08
June 28th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Just tried my first drink... Yuck... Not a fan lol.

Tisiloves
June 28th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Just tried my first drink... Yuck... Not a fan lol.

Did you try mixing it? I mix mine with cocoa powder :yumm:

firegypsy
June 28th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Did you try mixing it? I mix mine with cocoa powder :yumm:

IF I do it I use coconut milk and frozen strawberries. Nummy.

Carissamarie08
June 28th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Honestly I know I didn't like it because the only thing I had to mix it with was water at the moment. I shouldn't diss it just yet.. Haha. I started this thread for a reason and it seems to be doing good for a lot of people... So I need to mix it with something else :)

Silverbrumby
June 28th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Honestly I know I didn't like it because the only thing I had to mix it with was water at the moment. I shouldn't diss it just yet.. Haha. I started this thread for a reason and it seems to be doing good for a lot of people... So I need to mix it with something else :)

Mine is double choc. and I use skim milk to mix it with. It's delicious that way. I've done it with water and... yuk.

Wildcat Diva
June 28th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Made smoothies today. Used chocolate protein powder, fresh raspberries, bananas, ice, milk in the blender. Used two scoops and three people shared it the result. It was pretty good.

CurlyMopTop
June 29th, 2012, 07:40 AM
When I make mine, I use 1 banana, 1 clementine, a couple of large spoon globs of low-fat vanilla yogurt, a couple of handfuls of baby spinach, maybe 1/4 c. frozen blueberries and 1 scoop choch. whey powder. I started making this 2 to 3 times a week. It's pretty much a complete meal for me. :D very yummy and very filling! I don't share (nobody else will drink the smoothie with the spinach).

EDT: I should add that sometimes I add a few strawberries too.

Tia2010
June 29th, 2012, 08:02 AM
If I'm feeling lazy I just mix the vanilla protein with some OJ some ice and blend it up. It taste like a creamsicle. It works better with fresh oranges, but OJ will due in a pinch :)

They also sell unflavored whey that doesn't change the flavor of your smoothie/drink but I usually stick to the vanilla or chocolate.

bunzfan
June 29th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Everything good always has people saying something wrong with it... Fast food/processed food and sugar gets less crap said about it than vitamins/minerals and nuterience for crying out loud... I think of course you can overdo something, but an extra 18-21 grams of protein a day isnt going to hurt someone. Sure if you eat a ton of protein as it is then why would you need the extra protein?

It just feels like if someone claimed to get hair growth through eating cheeseburgers everyday less bad things would be said than them using something healthy... If there were concerns about damage with too much there would be a warning label required by law to be on the package.

I think thats a very valid point :agree:

Wildcat Diva
June 29th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Anyone tried the blender bottle with the little whisk ball in it for mixing?

http://www.blenderbottle.com/

Amazon has them for about 7 dollars. I got mine at the health food store for the same price, also with some Jay Robb protein. I haven't tried it yet. Anyone else use this brand or know about it?

If it's good I might go back on the first Tuesday of the month, I can get 20% at my local health food store.

McFearless
June 29th, 2012, 09:32 PM
For some reason these shakes have caused me headaches. I don't think I'll continue. I'm sad I won't get to see if they work for me.

brave
June 29th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Anyone tried the blender bottle with the little whisk ball in it for mixing?

http://www.blenderbottle.com/

Amazon has them for about 7 dollars. I got mine at the health food store for the same price, also with some Jay Robb protein. I haven't tried it yet. Anyone else use this brand or know about it?

If it's good I might go back on the first Tuesday of the month, I can get 20% at my local health food store.

I have a blender bottle that I picked up at target. I like it quite a bit. Vanilla whey protein + water in blender bottle = delicious breakfast that actually makes me full :D

Wildcat Diva
June 29th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I have a blender bottle that I picked up at target. I like it quite a bit. Vanilla whey protein + water in blender bottle = delicious breakfast that actually makes me full :D

Thanks, glad to hear it actually works good. Think I'll try skim milk instead of water though.

firegypsy
June 30th, 2012, 05:46 AM
For some reason these shakes have caused me headaches. I don't think I'll continue. I'm sad I won't get to see if they work for me.

That's a bummer. It's a lot of concentrated whey. I've seen people who can eat dairy just fine have sensitivities to large amounts of whey specifically.

christyrose
June 30th, 2012, 11:12 PM
For those of you who this worked for... how many grams of protein are you taking a day.. I am trying to decide if I want to do this 1 or 2 times a day. 2 times is pretty spendy, but 1 time gets me 26 grams.

swearnsue
July 1st, 2012, 09:05 AM

Here is what I do and it may work for you. I put about a tsp in my coffee. Stir it in after you have put in your milk or half&half so that the coffee is cooled a bit. It tastes good that way and you get a few gms of protein. It might be my imagination but it feels like my body absorbs the warm sweet protein really fast this way.

MoonLover
July 1st, 2012, 10:12 AM
For those of you who this worked for... how many grams of protein are you taking a day.. I am trying to decide if I want to do this 1 or 2 times a day. 2 times is pretty spendy, but 1 time gets me 26 grams.
I would start with once a day, for at least a month. See how your body reacts to it.

Too much processed protein is not great for your kidneys.

Wildcat Diva
July 1st, 2012, 11:59 AM
I would start with once a day, for at least a month. See how your body reacts to it.

I will do this once a day if I can afford it. Not twice for sure.

You guys gotta try this flavor! It was fantastic with orange juice. I used the blender bottle with the little whisk ball inside. I will be going back to my health food store to get 20% off on Tuesday!

http://www.amazon.com/Jay-Robb-Enterprises-Tropical-Dreamsicle/dp/B0001OP0QO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=134116529

christyrose
July 2nd, 2012, 02:19 AM

Yeah I am super low on protein as it is.. I started actually counting and I was so suprised how hard it is for me to even get 30 grams a day.. Not a vegetarian, but I dont eat a ton of meat. I have been snacking on yogurt and almonds, but I think the powder will help fill the gaps! I dont think even with a 26 gram scoop twice a day I could get past 80 grams.LOL I decided I wanted to try to be at 60 grams a day so on days I cant get to that or close I would do 2 scoops!

leslissocool
July 2nd, 2012, 02:35 AM
Yeah I am super low on protein as it is.. I started actually counting and I was so suprised how hard it is for me to even get 30 grams a day.. Not a vegetarian, but I dont eat a ton of meat. I have been snacking on yogurt and almonds, but I think the powder will help fill the gaps! I dont think even with a 26 gram scoop twice a day I could get past 80 grams.LOL I decided I wanted to try to be at 60 grams a day so on days I cant get to that or close I would do 2 scoops!

I eat really high protein for almost 3 years now. Drink water and you should be good. I get 130g and over, my anemia got better and my hair really did grow. I had toxemia when I was pregnant so I keep an eye on my liver and kidneys (I had organ failure while pregnant, and no I didn't eat high protein then) and take tests, they are all good. But I drink water, A LOT of it. More than 8 glasses a day.

christyrose
July 2nd, 2012, 03:38 AM
I eat really high protein for almost 3 years now. Drink water and you should be good. I get 130g and over, my anemia got better and my hair really did grow. I had toxemia when I was pregnant so I keep an eye on my liver and kidneys (I had organ failure while pregnant, and no I didn't eat high protein then) and take tests, they are all good. But I drink water, A LOT of it. More than 8 glasses a day.
I got that when I was pregnant too! They call it preeclamsia now for whatever reason, but I was so swollen and so weak feeling, not to mention the beginning I couldnt keep anything down for 3-5 months depending on the kid. I was just telling my husband that I wonder how sick or swollen I would get if I get pregnant again with how much healthier and more natural I eat now. Since shortly before my daughter was born I started eating a lot more healthy and doing away with anything processed, and I know when your pregnant your protein is suppose to be like 70, and I was getting less than half that most days. I have never liked almonds but have always wanted to, now I found sliced almonds and that helps me, and I feel so much better with more protein. I have had to eat more than normal just to get my protein needs daily but I lost 2 lbs so not too bad.

leslissocool
July 2nd, 2012, 03:59 AM
I got that when I was pregnant too! They call it preeclamsia now for whatever reason, but I was so swollen and so weak feeling, not to mention the beginning I couldnt keep anything down for 3-5 months depending on the kid. I was just telling my husband that I wonder how sick or swollen I would get if I get pregnant again with how much healthier and more natural I eat now. Since shortly before my daughter was born I started eating a lot more healthy and doing away with anything processed, and I know when your pregnant your protein is suppose to be like 70, and I was getting less than half that most days. I have never liked almonds but have always wanted to, now I found sliced almonds and that helps me, and I feel so much better with more protein. I have had to eat more than normal just to get my protein needs daily but I lost 2 lbs so not too bad.

You know, this is very interesting because I really couldn't keep food down until I gave birth. I puked up to 12 times a day and lost weight when I got pregnant because of it.

I got tested for insulin resistance (a member actually told me about it, and I got checked out) and found out I have it. SO I cut off all simple carbs and eat low GI. That helped too. I wonder what would've happened if I had eaten low carb and high protein while pregnant, maybe I would have been able to carry the twins to term :(.

I had eclampsia already (toxemia is the same as preeclampsia, the actual medical term is PIH) and had to deliver the babies 2 months early. I had liver an kidney failure, I went into the hospital right before I started to have seizures. My doctor called me from his vacation and told me to go to the hospital, he saved my life! I guess the morale could be never underestimate protein intake!

SerinaDaith
July 2nd, 2012, 08:25 AM
Just got my first shake mix, smells okay I'm going to do my workout then take as directed, the container says that I should work out then take it 30 minutes after the workout so I guess it's a good thing that I'm already in a routine.

CurlyCurves
July 4th, 2012, 04:38 PM
That helped too. I wonder what would've happened if I had eaten low carb and high protein while pregnant, maybe I would have been able to carry the twins to term :(.

I'm so sorry :(

firegypsy
July 4th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I wonder what would've happened if I had eaten low carb and high protein while pregnant, maybe I would have been able to carry the twins to term :(.

As a mom with a special needs child who was greatly harmed by what we didn't know about my health in pregnancy I am so sorry. We can't change what we aren't aware of, no matter how much it hurts. Sending hugs your way.

Astraea
July 5th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Not whey but...

I test drove the Vega Choc-a-lot Energizing Smoothie which is packed full of dutch cocoa and tastes absolutely divine with almond milk, HOWEVER it is more of a supplement at 11g of pea/sacha/hemp/brown rice protein per 8-12oz.

Their fully loaded Vega One Nutritional Chocolate Shake is 15g of protein per 8-12 oz.

For vegetarians/vegans this is an option that tastes great and is on sale through Vitacost and Vega's website but at between 1.60-2.80USD per serving, it's still pricey compared to some whey varieties.

Astraea
July 5th, 2012, 05:19 PM
And thanks to everyone for sharing such vital pregnancy information <3

SerinaDaith
July 5th, 2012, 05:54 PM
You know, this is very interesting because I really couldn't keep food down until I gave birth. I puked up to 12 times a day and lost weight when I got pregnant because of it.

I got tested for insulin resistance (a member actually told me about it, and I got checked out) and found out I have it. SO I cut off all simple carbs and eat low GI. That helped too. I wonder what would've happened if I had eaten low carb and high protein while pregnant, maybe I would have been able to carry the twins to term :(.

I had eclampsia already (toxemia is the same as preeclampsia, the actual medical term is PIH) and had to deliver the babies 2 months early. I had liver an kidney failure, I went into the hospital right before I started to have seizures. My doctor called me from his vacation and told me to go to the hospital, he saved my life! I guess the morale could be never underestimate protein intake!

The twins are okay now though right?

leslissocool
July 6th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Thank you guys so much! Yeah, the twins are ok. They are being diagnosed with Autism (doctors and therapists think it's Aspergers, but no one knows for sure until the psychiatric evaluations is done).

I do think that the Autism could be because they were so premature. And although deep inside I do blame me, chances are I'd get sick no matter what I ate ( I still have hypertension, its under control and I eat really healthy but once my stress goes up, I feel getting sick). In the end, they made it :cheer: which I honestly though my son might not have. I held him directly on my skin, and although I knew he is a strong boy I really was worried because of the SVT and he was attached to monitors.

But he made it, they both did. They are amazing, and SUPER smart! My son knows half the ABC and counts to 10 :crush: and my girl draws faces and fish and animals already!

They are huge both! My Boy (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/578316_3243304607125_1645430456_n.jpg)is 35lb and super tall, he's on the 85 growth percentile on a regular kid chart. They told me he was going to be tiny until he was 4! My Girl (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/399081_3000140408172_664456864_n.jpg) is also on the same % growth rate, and is 30lb and a tiny bit shorter.

They love wrecking havoc! Here's (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/564481_3025022150200_1947376105_n.jpg) the most recent one, they are going through a " diaper only" stage...

Sorry for the major hijack!

firegypsy
July 6th, 2012, 05:05 AM
we seem to have some things in common. I have two with Autism as well, along with some other stuff going on. They are adorable. :D

NJoy
July 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Thank you guys so much! Yeah, the twins are ok. They are being diagnosed with Autism (doctors and therapists think it's Aspergers, but no one knows for sure until the psychiatric evaluations is done).

I do think that the Autism could be because they were so premature. And although deep inside I do blame me, chances are I'd get sick no matter what I ate ( I still have hypertension, its under control and I eat really healthy but once my stress goes up, I feel getting sick). In the end, they made it :cheer: which I honestly though my son might not have. I held him directly on my skin, and although I knew he is a strong boy I really was worried because of the SVT and he was attached to monitors.

But he made it, they both did. They are amazing, and SUPER smart! My son knows half the ABC and counts to 10 :crush: and my girl draws faces and fish and animals already!

They are huge both! My Boy (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/578316_3243304607125_1645430456_n.jpg)is 35lb and super tall, he's on the 85 growth percentile on a regular kid chart. They told me he was going to be tiny until he was 4! My Girl (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/399081_3000140408172_664456864_n.jpg)is also on the same % growth rate, and is 30lb and a tiny bit shorter.

They love wrecking havoc! Here's (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/564481_3025022150200_1947376105_n.jpg) the most recent one, they are going through a " diaper only" stage...

Ha HA!!! They're adorable!!!

swearnsue
July 6th, 2012, 09:21 AM
leslieissocool, your twins are adorable! Don't blame yourself, stuff just happens sometimes.

gthlvrmx
July 7th, 2012, 11:40 PM
protein shakes! thats why! i havent been exercising and taking it! i gotta get started again!

Wildcat Diva
July 8th, 2012, 12:28 AM
I totally did not have a protien shake today or yesterday, I don't think.

Wildcat Diva
July 8th, 2012, 12:33 AM

They are huge both! My Boy (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/578316_3243304607125_1645430456_n.jpg)is 35lb and super tall, he's on the 85 growth percentile on a regular kid chart. They told me he was going to be tiny until he was 4! My Girl (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/399081_3000140408172_664456864_n.jpg) is also on the same % growth rate, and is 30lb and a tiny bit shorter.

Nice hijack! Kids are fun and I am sure you are pleased with the progress of yours. Wishing you lots of enjoyment. Hoping for an accurate diagnosis to help your little ones get what is needed.

bunzfan
July 8th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Still drinking 1-2 a day and in a month i have gone from just waist to nearly hip! thats about 2 inches of growth.

Silverbrumby
July 8th, 2012, 01:48 AM
we seem to have some things in common. I have two with Autism as well, along with some other stuff going on. They are adorable. :D

Both my boys are on the spectrum. Mine are adorable as well :o First boy was born 10.2 and the second 11.2, I have the stretch marks to prove it.

gthlvrmx
July 8th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Still drinking 1-2 a day and in a month i have gone from just waist to nearly hip! thats about 2 inches of growth.
That's intense! I like the sound of those results! maybe i can sneak in another shake tonite :P

swearnsue
July 8th, 2012, 01:01 PM
That's intense! I like the sound of those results! maybe i can sneak in another shake tonite :P

I know, me too! I haven't had a shake in a few days, so tonight for sure!:disco:

gthlvrmx
July 8th, 2012, 01:06 PM
ignore this post here XD internet screwed up

gthlvrmx
July 8th, 2012, 01:09 PM
i just read on a separate thread on whey protein that it can have negative results if you're drinking the isolate ingredient in it

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2202576

and now im confused to whether if my protein is ok or i have to buy a new one because my protein has both in it, 2 WPC and 1 WPI.

anyone have some input on this?

gthlvrmx
July 8th, 2012, 01:39 PM
ack, i was reading on the bodybuilding forums and almost everyone says its not true about hair loss and isolates. the claim is something about the isolate creating more testosterone, but its only this one guy that says it. so. im still going to drink my whey its not bad and i didnt see hair loss when i used it, i saw hair GROWTH. i was just curious because such a claim was like....O.O not my whey!

bunzfan
July 8th, 2012, 02:21 PM
ack, i was reading on the bodybuilding forums and almost everyone says its not true about hair loss and isolates. the claim is something about the isolate creating more testosterone, but its only this one guy that says it. so. im still going to drink my whey its not bad and i didnt see hair loss when i used it, i saw hair GROWTH. i was just curious because such a claim was like....O.O not my whey!

I wondered about that to but if anything i have noticed my braid thickening not getting thinner ;)

bunzfan
July 8th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I know, me too! I haven't had a shake in a few days, so tonight for sure!:disco:

I find i can stick to 2 a day if i have one after my breakfast and one after dinner .

Loviatar
July 10th, 2012, 12:34 PM
It is not whey protein but my doctor has put me onto this: Good Morning Protein Plus. I asked him for a protein supplement and asked for whey concentrate. *sigh* He gave me this instead. It is soya isolate, apple powder, psyllium husk, vitamin and mineral premix, atriplex and aloe vera. You mix it with water or apple juice. It has 14g protein in each scoop and you can have 1-2 scoops thus making it 28g protein.

Would I be better with whey protein, or could I have one shake of Good Morning soy protein and one shake of whey? The whey I have been looking at is this: http://www.phd-fitness.co.uk/store/p/38751/1/PhD-Nutrition---Diet-Whey-1Kg.html
which is a mixture of Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Concentrate and Soya Protein Isolate - it has also got 34g protein in each serving.

"The PhD Diet whey is great protein powder for using when dieting but also contrary to peoples thoughts it can be used as an everyday supplement. The diet whey is a whey/casein blend which will keep amino levels stable while also allowing the stomach to feel fuller for longer periods of time. It has its very own fat loss stack with supplements such as green tea extract, CLA and L-Carnitine added to the powder. These fat burning properties could help with fat loss when used with a good diet and training regime. For people not looking to lose weight, the product fat loss properties can be used as healthy fats and for well being."

Thoughts, whey aficionados?

sazzie88
July 17th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Just wondered if anyone else has noticed that since starting the protein shakes your hair has become very dry and crispy? I have been gettting this and now stopped drinking it as my hair was snapping off at the tips.

Surely this cannot be protein overload? I was having one shake a day max with two scoops.

blondie9912
July 17th, 2012, 09:34 AM
i just read on a separate thread on whey protein that it can have negative results if you're drinking the isolate ingredient in it

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2202576

and now im confused to whether if my protein is ok or i have to buy a new one because my protein has both in it, 2 WPC and 1 WPI.

anyone have some input on this?

I drink one with WPI as well, and no whey is that hair loss thing true! (Sorry, had to throw that bad pun in there ;))

Probably just one guy that's trying to share his experience with it, but I don't think many (if any) others have experienced that same result. My hair is growing faster, I can tell!

bunzfan
August 4th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Just to report i have been drinking these since March and all the hair from my scalp up till BSL is really a lot thicker than the other hair and i think thats due to these shakes. I was drinking the H&B one but its chocolate tastes yuck but then i don't like chocolate milkshakes anyway.

To report in the last 3 weeks i have been measuring to see how much growth i'm getting from doing this i drink one a day normally and i'm getting roughly 1/2 a week!! yes a week! measured this week and i got nearly a inch of growth. I've just ordered from my protein (uk) site not only are they very cheap they are recommended highly and i just ordered rhubarb & Custard flavour:grin: that's my favourite pudding i cant wait for it to arrive.

gthlvrmx
August 6th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I havent drank (drunken?) any protein shakes in a week, i havent exercised. I only take it when im exercising becuase if i drink it without ANY exercsise, I GAIN WEIGHT. my brother and dad told me thats what happen when you dont exercise with it and im like.....not worth it for me for the hair if im not exercising with it. i cant just take it and NOT exercise, then ill gain weight! thankfully ive lost a bit of weight in 2 weeks and its fine but i will only take it during the weekdays, and none during the weekends.

amanda_the_tall
August 6th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Just wondered if anyone else has noticed that since starting the protein shakes your hair has become very dry and crispy? I have been gettting this and now stopped drinking it as my hair was snapping off at the tips.

Surely this cannot be protein overload? I was having one shake a day max with two scoops.

if your hair is dry, it's probably your hair products. drinking whey protein/ eating protein won't make your hair dry or snappy. nothing you consume will have an effect on the ends (being the hair that's already grown out of your head)

Silverbrumby
August 6th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I've found the Whey protein to be a wonderful addition to my diet due to the fact I don't eat red meat. My hair has been growing a little faster and it does feel a bit thicker. I think that I'm also shedding less.

edit:

I'll know in about 3 to 6 months if this is really the case.

leslissocool
August 7th, 2012, 12:03 AM
I havent drank (drunken?) any protein shakes in a week, i havent exercised. I only take it when im exercising becuase if i drink it without ANY exercsise, I GAIN WEIGHT. my brother and dad told me thats what happen when you dont exercise with it and im like.....not worth it for me for the hair if im not exercising with it. i cant just take it and NOT exercise, then ill gain weight! thankfully ive lost a bit of weight in 2 weeks and its fine but i will only take it during the weekdays, and none during the weekends.

That's not true, I take it when I don't work out too and didn't gain a single pound. Mine is mixed with creatine too, which causes muscle gain yet my weight never shifts.

As long as you replace breakfast with it you should be fine :).

MoonLover
August 7th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Just dropping back in to report on hemp protein- I grew 0.75" in a month with hemp protein (about 22g per day) and when I did whey protein I grew 1" in a month. Although- I was adding 2tbs almond butter with they whey shakes and not with the hemp. Maybe that accounts for the difference?

PolarCathy
August 8th, 2012, 02:36 AM
Is there anyone here who ordered from MyProtein in the UK and is not located in the UK?

anikadear
August 8th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Just dropping back in to report on hemp protein- I grew 0.75" in a month with hemp protein (about 22g per day) and when I did whey protein I grew 1" in a month. Although- I was adding 2tbs almond butter with they whey shakes and not with the hemp. Maybe that accounts for the difference?

I don't think the almond butter had anything to do with it actually. I know it's also protein but I think it's the whey giving your hair the boost. YAY!! I've been drinking 2 shakes per day- with breakfast, and post workout- so we'll see by the end of the month what effect it has on my hair.

blondie9912
August 8th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Haven't been taking this in a while, but I should probably start back up again!

PolarCathy
August 9th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Mine hopefully arrives tomorrow. I expect a lot from this experiment because my metabolism is fast and I do & feel best on lots of protein, and I've always had the problem of not really being able to get enough quality protein without supplements. Also I'm always hungry :)

PolarCathy
August 10th, 2012, 05:12 AM
deleted deleted

bunzfan
January 4th, 2013, 02:51 AM
I'm back on these hoping it speeds my growth like it normally does. Previously i got 1-2 inches a month and i want to make TB by the end of the year drinking 1 a day once my body has got used to that i will go for 2 a day.

June
January 4th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Oh, what a great idea! I'm constantly on the low side of protein due to my diet, so getting a protein that might be good for my hair is definitely worth a try!

bunzfan
March 5th, 2013, 08:31 AM
I'm back on these drinking 1-2 a day started in February and so far i've had about 1.5 in growth :D

rock007junkie
March 5th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Ugh, I really need to get back to this. I had really good growth when I was constantly drinking it.

bunzfan
April 19th, 2013, 02:46 AM
After a break i'm on these again this time i'm going to stick to 2 a day to see how much growth i get. Last time i only drank 1 a day say for times a week i will report back in a month.

WilfredAllen
April 19th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Anyone know what the vegan equivalent would be?

maybe try vega? http://myvega.com/products/vega-one-shake/features-benefits
I don't remember if it has a complete protein profile but I think that's the one that does. The tricky thing abot being vegan is that nuts, grains, or legumes alone don't have complete proteins so you need to combine them.

Syaoransbear
April 23rd, 2013, 12:42 AM
I just started taking Whey protein today, but I realized that I bought Whey Protein Isolate and it sounds like from studies that whey protein concentrate is the better option for hair growth. Is anyone taking whey protein concentrate with good results?

PolarCathy
April 23rd, 2013, 01:34 AM
I just started taking Whey protein today, but I realized that I bought Whey Protein Isolate and it sounds like from studies that whey protein concentrate is the better option for hair growth. Is anyone taking whey protein concentrate with good results?

Whey isolate is actually associated with hair loss (at least on body building forums etc) - I don't have time to dig up anything official, like a study, but I've read about it several times.

I do take concentrate and it doesn't do anything for me, but I'm doing it because I train, not so much for my hair.

Syaoransbear
April 23rd, 2013, 12:16 PM
Whey isolate is actually associated with hair loss (at least on body building forums etc) - I don't have time to dig up anything official, like a study, but I've read about it several times.

I do take concentrate and it doesn't do anything for me, but I'm doing it because I train, not so much for my hair.

Yes I know, that's why I'm wondering if maybe I should toss out the isolate and start getting concentrate.

Then again, the study everyone is referring to was done by a person who exclusively sells whey protein concentrate as a hair loss solution, so it's easy to see that it was not an unbiased study.

Syaoransbear
April 23rd, 2013, 12:17 PM
double post

PolarCathy
April 23rd, 2013, 12:25 PM
You know, I never believe anything in the world of supplements. I think that's a healthy attitude. Too much money behind the whole industry.

I would guess protein is protein, as long as it's complete it should be the same. Maybe the protein isolate manufacturing process is different, you know, like cereals (seeds) get "bleached" by harsh chemicals. It would be interesting to read up on that but I don't have the incentive.

If I had a bag of isolate, with my mindset (not believing too much, rather observing) I might just eat it up until I read EVIDENCE that it contains harmful residual chemicals etc. But since it's a hair site and I guess you don't want to risk... why not give it away to a gym rat friend (they might even pay for it like half the price) and get concentrate. Or casein protein instead, that's a slow release protein, unlike whey that's in your bloodstream/muscles/(hair?) in 45 minutes (it peaks at 45 minutes after consumption) and then wears off just as quickly, while casein gives a constant elevated level of amino acids. For something like 6-8 hours. So casein once or twice a day is my choice (for now) but even that hasn't resulted in better hair growth for me. Normally I take one casein shake right before bed, and a casein-whey concentrate 1:1 shake around workouts (a bit right before, and a lot right after).

Also I don't know how large a bag you have, but I personally don't think that it's like you take an isolate shake today and next week your hair starts to thin out. I'd again guess that it would take a while for it to build up, if it has any bad effects, so if you just have a month's supply or so, why not just drink it up without thinking too much, and next time just get a bag of concentrate instead. If you bought a 5 kg (11 lbs) bag like I do when I buy protein, hmmm, then you might have a problem, depending on how much you believe of that study.

Yes I know, that's why I'm wondering if maybe I should toss out the isolate and start getting concentrate.

Then again, the study everyone is referring to was done by a person who exclusively sells whey protein concentrate as a hair loss solution, so it's easy to see that it was not an unbiased study.