PDA

View Full Version : Henna Shampoo

Elistariel
March 15th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I (think) I saw this in a specialty hair store once. I want to say it was a Sally Hansen store, but I could be wrong.
I was wondering if anyone has tried henna shampoo before and if so how did it do/work out?

Nightshade
March 15th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I use Jason Henna Hi-Lights shampoo (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/27/cat/2)and conditioner (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/28/cat/3)and love it :) I've posted both in the reviews section if you want to check them out. This is the best stuff I've ever used, and you couldn't pried it from my orange, henna-stained fingers (the shampoo and conditioner don't have any color at all, I henna my hair) :)

I've also had good luck with Hask Henna and Placenta conditioner (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/44/cat/3), which I know is at Sally's.

GlassEyes
March 15th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I use Jason Henna Hi-Lights shampoo (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/27/cat/2)and conditioner (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/28/cat/3)and love it :) I've posted both in the reviews section if you want to check them out. This is the best stuff I've ever used, and you couldn't pried it from my orange, henna-stained fingers (the shampoo and conditioner don't have any color at all, I henna my hair) :)

I've also had good luck with Hask Henna and Placenta conditioner (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/44/cat/3), which I know is at Sally's.

You can also get it at CVS! : D

Elfling
March 16th, 2008, 06:57 AM
You wouldn't be able to put actual henna in a shampoo and keep it in the shower- the dye breaks down after a certain amount of time.

Nightshade
March 17th, 2008, 12:28 PM
You wouldn't be able to put actual henna in a shampoo and keep it in the shower- the dye breaks down after a certain amount of time.

Although there's no coloring, it's more of a henna extract. Even henna in which the dye has demised still imparts conditioning, just without the color. In my experience, the dye demised henna tends to behave more like cassia, with the benefits being similar to henna, just not lasting as long.

Elfling
March 17th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Although there's no coloring, it's more of a henna extract. Even henna in which the dye has demised still imparts conditioning, just without the color. In my experience, the dye demised henna tends to behave more like cassia, with the benefits being similar to henna, just not lasting as long.

True, I was thinking only from the coloring side.

wolf girl
March 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM
You can also get it at CVS! : D

:run:(off to CVS)

Islandgrrl
March 17th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Just curious, how long does it take for the dye to demise?

Nightshade
March 18th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Just curious, how long does it take for the dye to demise?

When I tried timing it once, I was still getting a faint stain after adding steaming water and keeping it on top of my computer tower 52 hours later. How long it lasts is going to depend on the mix, the temperature it's stored at, and the quality of the henna. So at least three days, probably more to be safe.

sibylla
March 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I like Urtekrams Henna poo. It works like a gloss instantly. I use it before going to special ocasions when I havenīt got time to touch up roots (it gives a henna shine to the roots too).

Urchin
March 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I got some henna shampoo from my local bead/organic/granola stuff store. My hair has been shinier, but I did just henna it, so I can't conclude that it was the shampoo. I'm thinking of getting the henna conditioner to go with it. The brand is Nature's Gate.

No, there is no color in it.

It smells like almonds. I hate that smell. At least my conditioner covers up the smell.

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I'm interested in killing some henna so that i can apply to my virgin roots without it colouring them. Is this at all possible, 52 hours? so if i made a batch and left it covered outside for 3 days teh dye would just vanish????? Do i heat the dry henna up and then it dies? how? lol...

Nightshade
March 20th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I'm interested in killing some henna so that i can apply to my virgin roots without it colouring them. Is this at all possible, 52 hours? so if i made a batch and left it covered outside for 3 days teh dye would just vanish????? Do i heat the dry henna up and then it dies? how? lol...

I did an experiment where I microwaved henna, tried to nuke it to death, and had another bath where I added boiling water, and BOTH (kept on a warm computer tower for three days) were STILL staining after 52 hours, even with all that abuse. I wanted to try again on day 4, but it had dried out too badly by then :(

So, no, there is no magic formula to kill henna, and if you don't want color I'd really recommend conditioning with cassia instead. If you really want to use henna to do this, I'd strand test with the hypothetically demised dye before putting it on your head. :)

Islandgrrl
March 20th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I really asked just out of curiosity. I'm a natural redhead and a hennahead (it covers the grey and really just brightens up my color nicely). I'm fine with using henna that stains. I just didn't know that the dye would demise but leave the conditioning effects intact. Every so often I have a bit of henna left over and I forget about it in the fridge. I've always just tossed it when I find it - now I know I can still use it for conditioning even if the dye isn't strong or is completely gone.

Coolness. Really.

Nightshade
March 20th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I really asked just out of curiosity. I'm a natural redhead and a hennahead (it covers the grey and really just brightens up my color nicely). I'm fine with using henna that stains. I just didn't know that the dye would demise but leave the conditioning effects intact. Every so often I have a bit of henna left over and I forget about it in the fridge. I've always just tossed it when I find it - now I know I can still use it for conditioning even if the dye isn't strong or is completely gone.

Coolness. Really.

Woot! Hurrah for henna :D

sybarite
March 20th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I've used the red-head formula of this:

http://www.shikai.com/products/color_shampoos_order.htm

But I don't think it really did anything and it smelled like beer.

Urchin
March 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Question:

If I make my henna paste, but don't wait to let the dye release, can I get the conditioning benefits with minimal color? I ask because I can get BAQ henna powder locally, but obtaining cassia would have to be done online and would be annoying.

Nightshade
March 26th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Question:

If I make my henna paste, but don't wait to let the dye release, can I get the conditioning benefits with minimal color? I ask because I can get BAQ henna powder locally, but obtaining cassia would have to be done online and would be annoying.

Uhm... maybe? If you mixed it with cool water, and wrapped it in saran wrap and didn't put a hat on over top of it so your head stayed a cool as possible...

The thing I'd be concerned about is how much dye would release while it was on your head, being warmed by your own body heat.

I think if you wanted to test it you could mix up henna and cool water, and then put it and a hairball of your hair into a plastic baggie and tuck it in your pocket for as long as you're considering putting it on your head, then rinse. (the idea that putting it in your pocket should mimic to some extent having it on your head and warmed).

But don't do this without strand testing, and at that, I'm wary :o If you get red you don't want you're going to have a HELL of a time getting it out again.

Shell
March 26th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Question:

I did a gloss and I put it on after only 5-10 minutes of dye release, then I only left it on for 30 minutes. I am blonde, and I just got some red highlights--especially in the sun. I already had red highlights in the sun, it just made them a bit more pronounced. I did strand test.

I think I mostly got conditioning with a bit of color, so maybe that could work for you?