PDA

View Full Version : The Marble Braid (or Bubble-Braid? Potentially new style!!!) and other inspirations

piffyanne
March 29th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I've been browsing Sarees today, and started paying more attention to the hairstyles than the outfits. (You know you're an LHC'er when. . . !)

This one with the ball-type-braid-segment-thing (which, if it hasn't already been christened, I dub the Marble-braid or Bubble braid--vote for your favorite name!) is one of my favorite looks on here:
http://www.utsavfashion.com/store/sarees-large.aspx?icode=SSX1336A

It looks like it's made by using a hair elastic, then shaping your hair around a small round object (like a large marble or a ping-pong ball) much as you would drape around a sock for a sockbun (not the rolling kind), securing with another hair elastic, and repeating down the length.

I simply had to share this site because my drool-factor is pretty astronomical on many of these styles.:D

elbow chic
March 29th, 2012, 12:58 AM
That is pretty cool! Super-bumpy and a fun texture.

I'd want something lighter than a marble, though... like a styrofoam ball?

AnqeIicDemise
March 29th, 2012, 01:07 AM
It reminds me of R, a friend of mine (rockin' bassist! <3 him!) he styles his hair this way. When I asked him why he said its because he's all thumbs and can't braid, but he needs to keep his WSL curly hair out of the way. Sadly we don't work together anymore or I'd teach him to braid.

Eryka
March 29th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Interesting hair, oh wait look . . ..

"Oooooooooooooooooh"

*gets lost for the next hour looking at the clothes and pretty pictures*

piffyanne
March 29th, 2012, 01:19 AM
I was thinking ping-pong balls or small rubber ones, myself. The ping-pong ones are lighter, and probably less likely to "catch" the hair than styrofoam. Rubber would "grip" without "catching" and help the style stay better.

In case of Zombie Apocalypse, however, a supply of marbles should ideally be kept at hand so you can stick 'em in there. With their aid, you could spin like a dervish and take out your enemies. (Come to think of it, that would help in a crowded store at a mall, too!:eyebrows:)

Seriously, marbles in my hair would be a bad thing, since I already have a high tendency of changing directions suddenly. I regularly whip my poor DBF with my braids as it is.:slap: Thanks for helping think this through.

jacqueline101
March 29th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I like that hair style very original.

Arya
March 29th, 2012, 05:40 AM
There may not be anything in there. You can get a similar effect by making a braid with two very thin sections and one big fat section (and then fluffing it out), and also by putting a multiple hair elastics down the length of your ponytail, and then plumping out the hair above to look fuller.

tigereye
March 29th, 2012, 06:49 AM
This always reminds me of that ponytail Jasmine has in Disneys Aladdin

holothuroidea
March 29th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Gosh every thing is so pretty :crush:

Mannaz
March 29th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Wow, very cool!

PinkyCat
March 29th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Ok *all you darned enablers*

This may be the absolute silliest purchase I have ever made for my hair, but I'm gonna do it. :doh:And I hope someone else does too, they come in brown, blonde, and red - so there! :tongue:

http://pingpongballs.net/products/Matte-Black-Ping-Pong-Balls&#37;2C-40mm.html

PixxieStix
March 29th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Pinkycat, you MUST post pictures! My hair is too short to even get a decent ponytail yet, otherwise I'd be all over those ping pong balls and re-creating this hair style. It looks like fun.

Springgrl
March 29th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Does anyone else have problems with tons of little hairs sticking out when they try to do a style like this? Does anyone have fine hair that has figured out how to prevent this??? I love this bubble style! I've tried it in the past, but it just starts to look like a mess in like 15 minutes.

Sundial
March 29th, 2012, 09:32 AM
oh boy! It'll be embarrassing if the sponge or pingpong balls fall out in the middle of a crowded place :oops: It'd be difficult to explain why you are keeping those in your hair without coming off sounding weird :lol:

Does anyone else have problems with tons of little hairs sticking out when they try to do a style like this? Does anyone have fine hair that has figured out how to prevent this??? I love this bubble style! I've tried it in the past, but it just starts to look like a mess in like 15 minutes.

Does it help if you slick it down with oil?

Diamond.Eyes
March 29th, 2012, 09:37 AM
My mom used to do that to my hair for Girl Scout trips when I was 9 and had classic length hair. :p She used different colored bands and made my hair look like a rainbow haha.

berr
March 29th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I might try that with my sleep braid. It currently has 7 elastics holding it secure with probably 4 inches between the repetitions. The hair is humped at the elastic so I'm quite prepared to try adding 5 or 6 more elastics to my hair. I think I'll pass on other added things at the moment as my sleep tail feels awful enough when it gets pinned under my weight. I have to pull it over my shoulder because it irritates to to feel it pinned between my back and the seat. I also sit on it if it gets behind me when i'm seated.

Does it help if you slick it down with oil?

Oil and some coney stuff. I use that fekkai? fakkai? glossing creme. It also makes search and destroy a bit easier with the really wild hairs.

Macaroni
March 29th, 2012, 09:53 AM
How cool is that!

I've only looked on the first page of the sarees and want two :).

Isa Ferrara
March 29th, 2012, 11:23 AM
That is so neat!

pinkycat, please post pics!

PinkyCat
March 29th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Holy shipping price, Batman! $8.75??? For a total of $19.70 for six black ping pong balls?? :eek:

I gotta be able to find these on the ground somewhere....

If not I'll just color some regular ones with a sharpie or something.

moxamoll
March 29th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Pics for sure, please PinkyCat!

PinkyCat
March 29th, 2012, 12:04 PM
So I had to try this out with the nearest spherical objects.

TWO ORANGES!! LOL!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8306&pictureid=129785

I'm COMPLETELY enabled now - off to Target I go....

berr
March 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Holy shipping price, Batman! $8.75??? For a total of $19.70 for six black ping pong balls?? :eek:

I gotta be able to find these on the ground somewhere....

If not I'll just color some regular ones with a sharpie or something.

Check your local sporting goods stores. If not.. happy sharpie sniffing. LOL.. I don't know what it is about a sharpie but I like the smell.

berr
March 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM

TWO ORANGES!! LOL!

Awesome pic!!!!

Coffeebug
March 29th, 2012, 12:11 PM
LOL it looks cool PinkyCat, and you have a snack for later - it's win/win!!

RapunzelKat
March 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Oooh, what a fun style! :D and such beautiful saris!

TWO ORANGES!! LOL!

PinkyCat, that is awesome :D Bet the oranges are a little heavy though!

Lady Neeva
March 29th, 2012, 12:28 PM
It reminds me a biker braid. (Or potentially Padme Amidala's dressing gown style.)

http://rebelshaven.com/SWFFAQ/images/robe/robe10.jpg

PinkyCat
March 29th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Yes, the oranges are heavy. But it works! I'm going to be collecting all sorts of lightweight spherical objects now! :p

@Coffeebug - LOL- I may have to try this with pudding cups! LOL!

Purdy Bear
March 29th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I love the Salwar Kameez ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Im just drooolingggggggg at those. They are just so stunning I want virtually them allllllllllllllllllllllllll. Deeps sighs!

elbow chic
March 29th, 2012, 03:34 PM
PinkyCat you're a nut!!! lmao!

Nera
March 29th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I used to wear my hair like that in highschool! Sort of looked the same and I didn´t put anything in the ´bubbles´. It just went like that.

joflakes
March 29th, 2012, 03:44 PM
This always reminds me of that ponytail Jasmine has in Disneys Aladdin

I was thinking the very same thing!

GeoJ
March 29th, 2012, 04:07 PM
What a cool hairstyle! I'm so temped to find something to use for this!

I was thinking ping-pong balls or small rubber ones, myself. The ping-pong ones are lighter, and probably less likely to "catch" the hair than styrofoam. Rubber would "grip" without "catching" and help the style stay better.

In case of Zombie Apocalypse, however, a supply of marbles should ideally be kept at hand so you can stick 'em in there. With their aid, you could spin like a dervish and take out your enemies. (Come to think of it, that would help in a crowded store at a mall, too!:eyebrows:)

Seriously, marbles in my hair would be a bad thing, since I already have a high tendency of changing directions suddenly. I regularly whip my poor DBF with my braids as it is.:slap: Thanks for helping think this through.

LOL! That's funny image, but indeed could be bad, especially with something heavy like marbles! (I got excited about my hair when it finally reached knee length, and wore it in a caterpillar braid (hairties like in the marble braid, but with nothing added as a form for the hair) to smooth out my waves. It ended up heavy enough that when I spun around my hair did actually swing out and hit someone in the face- thankfully someone I knew that didn't get upset).

<3OnHerSleeve
March 29th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I am drooling at the sarees.... Has anyone ordered from this website and are the sarees as advertised? I'm always cautious about buying clothes online, but I positively am in love with these sarees :P

Of course, the hairstyle is going to be added to my "must do" hairstyles when my hair is long enough. I have an actual list with pictures and my own version for each hair length. Currently trying to fill up the APL length pics... totally a "you know you're a long hair/LHCer when..." :P

kme81
March 29th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Interesting hair, oh wait look . . ..

"Oooooooooooooooooh"

*gets lost for the next hour looking at the clothes and pretty pictures*

I did the same thing! Haha!

MaiCarInMtl
March 29th, 2012, 06:53 PM
While I noticed the hair, I am totally in love with the saree!!!!

christiner
March 29th, 2012, 09:10 PM
How neat, thanks for sharing!

PinkyCat
March 30th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I CANNOT BELIEEEEEVE I wandered around Target's sporting department for a good 20 minutes and not a ping pong ball in sight! Guess I'll stick to oranges for now. :(

Macaroni
March 30th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I CANNOT BELIEEEEEVE I wandered around Target's sporting department for a good 20 minutes and not a ping pong ball in sight! Guess I'll stick to oranges for now. :(

Is there a Sports Authority near you? Look!

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11645307&mr:trackingCode=12A445E3-0881-E011-97DC-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

And they're multi-colored :).

Sagi1982
March 31st, 2012, 02:07 AM
I think its a simple caterpillar braid with puffed-out sections... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6I3ZG5N3LU

lapushka
March 31st, 2012, 07:28 AM
That braid reminds me of this: egg tails!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu3Jdf-MKVc&feature=plcp&context=C4705eb8VDvjVQa1PpcFNnwmVPYjYLZpdlvmkXRKVE jadjtil1O-g&#37;3D