PDA

View Full Version : What is the best nondamaging, "permanent" red hair dye? Besides henna

kmarie99
March 28th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I want a more vibrant and more purple based red than what henna has given me. So which dye is longer lasting? Manic Panic? Special Effects? Directions? Pravana? Elumen? Help! Thanks

Reptilia
March 28th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Manic Panic, for sure. I used vampire red awhile back, it was GORGEOUS. It lasted for a long time, too! After 5 months I was bored of it however and had to get a hair stripper to get it out!

It was messy beyond belief though, and for weeks after as it would wash out with every shower or anything I was sweaty, lol.

Quezie
March 28th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I use henna as a base for my red, with a vegetable based dye (Joico colour intensity) over top.

I haven't heard very good things about manic panic, I'd recommend special effects, paintbox, or joico. Really though, they're all going to fade with time. Which is why I use henna as a base so that when they do fade, my hair is still vibrant red, just less pinkish.

Amber_Maiden
March 28th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Elumen is more permanent than Manic Panic, which washes out pretty fast.

Anje
March 28th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Speaking only as an observer, not someone who's tested these, Punky and Special Effects are supposed to last longer than Manic Panic, but still do wash out. in general, reds in these funky direct dyes do seem to last longer than non-red shades. Just opposite of your standard box dyes.

Elumen, on the other hand, is supposed to be permanent.

turtlelover
March 28th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I'm a big fan of Robert Craig from my coloring days, and it was very non-damaging and did not fade quickly. It IS permanent, though I think w/ any dye, red fades a bit more quickly.

Ligeia_13
March 28th, 2012, 05:46 PM
There's been talk around the boards about Pravana's semi permanents that apparently stick around for ages. I remember seeing a girl's photo with their red.

Here's the page she was mentioned:
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27600&page=10

MandyBeth
March 28th, 2012, 06:20 PM
In order of wash out on non damaged hair - Manic Panic, Koolaid, Elumen, Special Effects and Pinky tie, Pravana lasts forever and does not come out. They.can also be shockingly bright on light colored hair - hubby has a navy loc now from Pravana.

Vanille_
March 28th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I use Manic Panic Vampire Red and LOVE it. You can see pics in my album. It refuses to come out of my hair.

kmarie99
March 28th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I'm a big fan of Robert Craig from my coloring days, and it was very non-damaging and did not fade quickly. It IS permanent, though I think w/ any dye, red fades a bit more quickly.

Is it a peroxide and ammonia free dye?

kmarie99
March 28th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Speaking only as an observer, not someone who's tested these, Punky and Special Effects are supposed to last longer than Manic Panic, but still do wash out. in general, reds in these funky direct dyes do seem to last longer than non-red shades. Just opposite of your standard box dyes.

Elumen, on the other hand, is supposed to be permanent.
I really want to try Elumen but I'm too cheap and can't find pictures of it on anyones hair here.

BBdck1
March 28th, 2012, 11:13 PM
I used MP in Vampire red recently and it showed up on my dark brown hair pretty well. I was experimenting with colors so the week after, I dyed it over with Adore in Indigo blue (made my hair purple). The red was still pretty vibrant after a week and after a month (and many clarifying washes) my hair is still a little purple.

I like how the red look so I'm going to dye it with Pravana Chromasilk Vivid soon, which I heard is pretty permanent.

Mesmerise
March 28th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I use henna as a base for my red, with a vegetable based dye (Joico colour intensity) over top.

I haven't heard very good things about manic panic, I'd recommend special effects, paintbox, or joico. Really though, they're all going to fade with time. Which is why I use henna as a base so that when they do fade, my hair is still vibrant red, just less pinkish.

This!! I have never found a red as permanent as henna, and I think that if you use henna as a base, you can change the tone etc. with vegetable based dyes, that even when they fade a bit will leave you with red hair (ie the henna underneath). You can always spruce up the colours reasonably regularly.

kmarie99
March 29th, 2012, 01:24 PM
This!! I have never found a red as permanent as henna, and I think that if you use henna as a base, you can change the tone etc. with vegetable based dyes, that even when they fade a bit will leave you with red hair (ie the henna underneath). You can always spruce up the colours reasonably regularly.

Ooh good, I have three layers of Jenna on my hair already!