PDA

View Full Version : Mixed news

Kes
March 28th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I have just got back for the hospital where following a long day the surgeon and I have decided on a course of action.:)

The first stage will be to put a camera into my hip joint, as this is orthopedic everything has to be super duper clean. The day before the op I have to diligently wash with surgical scrub - all OK up to now - I then HAVE TO WASH MY HAIR WITH SURGICAL SCRUB!!!! :thud: :agape:
I simply dread to think of the results of this, has anyone had to do this previously??!!

Tabitha
March 28th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Crikey, having used Hibiscrub on my hands (not nice) I can't imagine what that would feel like on the hair and scalp.

Strictly unofficial opinion from my resident orthopaedic surgeon who I asked to read your post (he does hip replacement surgery, not hip arthroscopy, but actually the former is more "serious" in terms of germ implications than the latter) is that this is unnecessary and over the top. He simply asks his patients to have a shower as normal then in theatre they use betadine and surgical spirit to clean the local area.

I would be tempted to wash your hair with normal shampoo, maybe don't put organic stuff in it such as oils or butters - and don't tell them the difference.

Kes
March 28th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I would be tempted to wash your hair with normal shampoo, maybe don't put organic stuff in it such as oils or butters - and don't tell them the difference.

I was tempted I must say, its also the thought of having hair smelling like hibiscrub until I'm allowed back in the shower, bleurgh.

bumblebums
March 28th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Crikey, having used Hibiscrub on my hands (not nice) I can't imagine what that would feel like on the hair and scalp.

Strictly unofficial opinion from my resident orthopaedic surgeon who I asked to read your post (he does hip replacement surgery, not hip arthroscopy, but actually the former is more "serious" in terms of germ implications than the latter) is that this is unnecessary and over the top. He simply asks his patients to have a shower as normal then in theatre they use betadine and surgical spirit to clean the local area.

I would (uncharitably) assume that the OP's surgeon might have either been sued or gotten into some trouble for less-than-sterile conditions in the past and is now going over the top to overcompensate.

Any way to consult another doctor?

mzBANGBANG
March 28th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Eesh, I'd do it anyway... and have tons of oils ready to go. Nothing wrong with being overly cautious.

torrilin
March 28th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I'd ask why. I mean, it makes sense that they'd want you to be clean, because clean is more sterile. But for surgery I'd figure your hair is under lab rules and that means it is going to be UP. For anything big, I'd figure not only is it up, but it might well be under some kind of surgical cap or hair net to reduce the risk of shed hair getting anywhere. So the idea of scrubbing down every inch of you with a *particular* cleaning product seems more than a little over the top...

IME, as long as you're washed it's fine.

Kherome
March 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Um no. Not I. I would wash as normal, and pin it all up and wear a hair cover.

heidi w.
March 29th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I have no idea what is going on that you have to wash your hair with surgical scrub. Usually they cap the hair in a surgery, so there's no necessity to wash the hair even, usually. I've had a lot of surgery but never joint replacement surgery, so that's all I know and have a reference with.

I wish you good luck with the hospital surgery. Whatever is going on, it sounds somewhat serious.

Most people don't regularly wash their hair this way, so if that's what ya gotta do, then I'd do it (although, again, I've never heard of this requirement). Once isn't gonna kill your hair. I presume they also do not want you to condition the hair?

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 29th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I was tempted I must say, its also the thought of having hair smelling like hibiscrub until I'm allowed back in the shower, bleurgh.

After a while you'll acclimate and moreover, your hair will build sebum so it'll smell from that, likely moreso that scrub.

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 29th, 2012, 09:13 AM

After a while you'll acclimate and moreover, your hair will build sebum so it'll smell from that, likely moreso that scrub.

And if they're operating on your hip, why is it so necessary to wash the head at all, even? Capping it should be sufficient, I'd think. Seems like a question to ask. And if, as suggested in this thread, the doctor has had issues with unclean surgical environments, then I'd find another doctor. That's an infection that could happen at some point.

Something isn't making sense to me. Hip ... head, they're kind of far apart.

heidi w.

ouseljay
March 29th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Are you at any higher risk of infection than most people? Low white blood cell count, diabetes, that kind of thing? If so, the surgeon might just be acting extra cautious.

For my mom's knee replacements, they just asked that she wash her lower body with hibicleanse at least twice (I think) closest to surgery. But then, she got an infection anyway. And after her experiences, anything that will lower the risk of infection is a good idea in my book. I would do it. (And now I'm thinkinng about how often during the day I touch my hair and then another part of my body, pretty often.)

Oh, and good luck!

Evie
March 29th, 2012, 09:30 AM
My mum had to do this, and she did - and even so, she had a (long undiagnosed) MRSA infection (she was a carrier) and when she had her operation she contracted MRSA. And no, before anyone says it, I do not believe that the hospital gave it to her because they had to operate prior to the nasal and groin swabs they take to come back (which she had prior to going into hospital) and these swabs were positive. MRSA is generally found in people who carry it up the nose or around the groin, but it seems an overall wash is generally recommended with the surgical wash.

I think they advise this for a good reason, but then my father was a surgeon so I don't tend to believe doctor conspiracy theories or subscribe to the belief that all they want to do is protect themselves from being sued. Mum's surgical team just want her to be well. Her hair was not trashed from using this wash, she used conditioner afterwards and her hair was fine. I guess if my doctor told me to do this, I would - it might look over the top, but mum nearly died from her infection, and so anything that prevents it seems sensible to me :shrug:

Kes
March 29th, 2012, 10:24 AM
My mum had to do this, and she did - and even so, she had a (long undiagnosed) MRSA infection (she was a carrier) and when she had her operation she contracted MRSA.

Her hair was not trashed from using this wash, she used conditioner afterwards and her hair was fine. I guess if my doctor told me to do this, I would - it might look over the top, but mum nearly died from her infection, and so anything that prevents it seems sensible to me :shrug:

Thanks for that eye opener Evie, I will do it and be glad that I am here and healthy with slightly dry hair rather than sick (or dead) with shiny hair.
They did take nasal swabs, as the op is just over 3 weeks away the results will be back before hand. I have also got cream to put up my nose 3 times the day before and on that morning.

Any way to consult another doctor?

It has taken me 3 years to find a Dr that agreed that something needed to be done!! I was refereed by my local NHS hospital to this specific out of area orthopaedic hospital. From research this is the man who is one of the best for the job. Thank you for your concern but I think I will go with the consensus and if it dries out my hair I'll just be glad that I am here with two good hips to complain about it.

heidi w.
March 29th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Ok, this is making slightly more sense now. I wish you the best, and I would follow all requests to a T and religiously. I wouldn't tinker with their advise. It's been a while since I've been under a knife, so a lot of protocols may have changed by now. This may merely be a precaution, or it can be a serious need. Either way, a little bit of hair dryness for a period of time isn't going to hurt you too much. I would braid the hair too, to make it easier to cap and lay around in bed. Long hair and a number of days of laying in bed can lead to matts. I would pigtail braid so you can avoid sleeping on a lump. Also this helps your hair be out of the way for any subsequent medical needs that may arise.

I wish you all the best,
heidi w.

ouseljay
March 29th, 2012, 10:42 AM
My mum had to do this, and she did - and even so, she had a (long undiagnosed) MRSA infection (she was a carrier) and when she had her operation she contracted MRSA. And no, before anyone says it, I do not believe that the hospital gave it to her because they had to operate prior to the nasal and groin swabs they take to come back (which she had prior to going into hospital) and these swabs were positive. MRSA is generally found in people who carry it up the nose or around the groin, but it seems an overall wash is generally recommended with the surgical wash.

I think they advise this for a good reason, but then my father was a surgeon so I don't tend to believe doctor conspiracy theories or subscribe to the belief that all they want to do is protect themselves from being sued. Mum's surgical team just want her to be well. Her hair was not trashed from using this wash, she used conditioner afterwards and her hair was fine. I guess if my doctor told me to do this, I would - it might look over the top, but mum nearly died from her infection, and so anything that prevents it seems sensible to me :shrug:

Evie, I'm so sorry your mom has had so much trouble after her surgery. I hope she is recovering well.

Kes
March 29th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I would braid the hair too, to make it easier to cap and lay around in bed. Long hair and a number of days of laying in bed can lead to matts. I would pigtail braid so you can avoid sleeping on a lump.

We are on the same wave length here, after talking to one of the nurses I am going to dutch braid. For some reason these tend to stay in better than a french braid for me. When I go home the following day my daughter is going to redo my hair when we know if I can or can't lay on my side/back/have to stand on my head/hang by the ankles. etc etc etc :laugh:

Thanks every one for the good wishes, felt better about having babies that I do this.

summergreen
March 29th, 2012, 11:37 AM
no advice to add but - good luck! Hope it all goes really well.

furnival
March 29th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Is the surgeon intending to wash his own hair with this stuff? I imagine his head is going to be a lot closer to the surgery site than yours is.
Wishing you the best of luck :flower:

Toadstool
March 29th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I had to do it before my spine operation two years ago, but not before my hysterectomy one year ago. (Different hospital). I don't remember the effect on my hair, it was quite honestly the least of my concerns. I was more worried about the risk of paralysis, and also relieved that the pain I'd been in for a year was finally going to be over.

I am so glad you're not going to risk your health for the sake of your hair.

I'm very glad you have at last found someone who will help you. Good luck with it all!

Kes
March 31st, 2012, 03:58 PM
I had to do it before my spine operation two years ago.

I'm very glad you have at last found someone who will help you. Good luck with it all!

Thank you for you good wishes. I hope all went well with your operation. I am repeatedly reminded that no matter how bad things are there is always someone worse off than you. I sincerely hope that it is now just a memory and all is well.

Evie
April 1st, 2012, 03:50 PM
Hi folks, yes, mum is recovering well - she will need another op to remove a metal plate in her shoulder (that may be soon, and she is back to using the wash on her hair and body, basically they seem to say "wash all over" so I guess it maybe overkill, but just in case I'd never ever want to imagine anyone went through what mum went through, it was awful) and it still does not seem to be damaging. Mum has a lot of silvers, and her hair can get a bit dry (it is like mine, fairly coarse strands) but this has done it no damage, and I doubt a good deep condition afterwards would sort out any issues :)

Mum had the nasal/groin swabs too, but because her first op was carried out only a week after taking them, they were not back before they pinned her broken shoulder.

Good luck Kes, I do hope it goes well for you :flowers: